• Welcome to Online Baptist

Free to join.

I had a guy in my church who quit Facebook and told me it was evil, he rejoined about 3 months later!

I can understand why it's viewed as evil, there are very few controls on there, unlike this forum you can pretty much say/post anything evil you like, there are sick evil people on there who pretend to be someone they are not and take advantage of the gullible, take advantage of the youth who make up the majority of the membership.

My wife and I have FB accounts, we have shared the lives of our children with our church & families in 5 different countries around the world, from pregnancy until now they have seen the photos and expressed their delight, this has been a blessing to us. My wife has 9 siblings on 3 different continents, she communicates with them regularly through FB. We also use it as a witnessing tool.

So FB to us is a good thing, but we also see some of our nieces using it for evil and have removed them as friends, so you have to be vigilant with it in order to separate from the evil. It's just like living in this sin sick world, we are to be in the world but not of the world, you can be a member of Facebook and still be right with God!

Facebook is like many other things, it can be used for bad, & it can be used for good. I've got a Facebook pages, had it for several years. I have not touched it for a long time, & I have many thoughts about deleting it.  And I may one day.

I don't put anyone down for not having a Facebook page, or having one. And I want tell them that says its evil that they're wrong, For some people, maybe they should never have a Facebook page.

For some it might bring temptations to close to their door, yet that can be done in many other ways with many ways. And for the person or persons that are tempted by it they should leave it, yet, that would be true for anything that might bring irresistible temptations to close to them.

Jas 1:13 ¶ Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man:

Jas 1:14 But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed.

Jas 1:15 Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death.

So any child of God that gets into a situation that brings or might bring irresistible temptations, something that seems to bring irresistible lust to them, whether its on Facebook or some where else we need to remember, its not God tempting us, we are tempting our self beyond what we can stand, & we should get out of that situation before it draws us into sin. And if we are a child of God, God will give us the power, strength  to overcome & get out, & help us keep from doing as David did so many years ago when he got on that slippery slope lusting after Bathsheba.

If we ever find our self on a slipper slope, & instead of sliding down it, we ought to get away from it before we slip. And as we get older, gain experience about our weakness, we will learn that's there's certain situation that we should never put our self in tempting ourselves.

I haven't decided about whether I like Facebook or not, but much of my family seems to like it.

Facebook, and the internet in general, reminds me of Exodus 15 where the children of Israel came upon Marah, where the waters were bitter.  Moses was told to cast a "tree" into the bitter waters and made the water sweet.  Facebook, to me is bittersweet, but I do have question in my heart as to whether it is right or not that the entire world drinks of the same pot! 

Maybe when on Facebook, people need to apply the "tree of Life" to make the water sweet. 

I've been able to locate some long lost friends on Facebook. Three of them were brethren whom I spent some time with at a Christian camp back in the 80's.   (This was a camp for troubled youth kind of like Lester Roloff's homes in Texas). Another one who just started his own church in Upstate, NY. Here's the link to his church if your interested:

https://www.facebook.com/AmazinGraceBaptistChurch?ref=ts&fref=ts

Edited by ASongOfDegrees

My wife has a whole bunch of 100% whole wheat recipes for slow burn carbs with high fiber that are so good, unless you tell the eater, they won't know.

Jerry's response is right on!

I don't have time for facebook, or youtube, or anything like that. Praise God for those who can use it, and not have it use them!

My wife does the same, as well as using Sucanat for the sweetener. Some may know it as Rapidura-popular with Mennonites. It is basically evaporated cane juice-just the sugar cane juice dried and crushed, so its a complex carb, good for diabetics. Whole wheat and Sucanat, and they taste great!

as for the OP: Facebook is fine but can be dangerous. Because of people's habit of putting everything they can on FB, the government keeps a close eye on it, and don't think they won't use any good information on it against people. So beware what you put up-only put up what you want the world to know about.

Leave out all travel plans, and personal information. Assume the worst. My two-cents.

My dad actually preached a sermon on FB and sent me a copy.  hahaha.   But he had a lot of really good points.  As for lack of privacy, that's too late for me, but I just need to watch what I put on there.  As far as other things...well I don't feel I talk about myself a super duper lot, nor post a ton of pictures of myself (I'm not photogenic anyway) and I try to keep my friend list trimmed to a reasonable number of people so that I am not broadcasting my life over half of America.  I'm just not ready to completely get off at this time.

Not sin I don't reckon :eye:

I like what you 1st wrote, but edited it & took it out, for its true.

Too many people reveal way to much on the net about self, family, & home.

There's been many homes cleaned out because the robber knew exactly when they were not home, & how long they would be gone from home.

They will reveal nearly everything on their computer them complain because of lack of privacy! Amazing.

Question for Facebook users.

Would you consider it to be a sin to lend support and endorsement to anything which our Lord calls an abomination? Would you work in an event to raise monies to support "non-traditonal" marriage, for example?

What are you talking about?

Question for Facebook users.

Would you consider it to be a sin to lend support and endorsement to anything which our Lord calls an abomination? Would you work in an event to raise monies to support "non-traditonal" marriage, for example?

I finally got an account last fall. My son is in Korea (US Army) and he doesn't use anything else to communicate...so I caved in.

You are not about to tell us that now you support X when just before last fall you were against X, are you Dave?  Just kidding.

I always thought Facebook was for girls.  Then my old buddy never returns my e-mails anymore, and I miss out on who died, who was born, got married, divorced, etc.  I'm the last to know these days, usually by several years.  Still see it as more harm than good and don't want it.

My mother created accounts for my kids so she could play all those games.  Well I changed the passwords and she got mad and complained, now we're locked out and I cannot delete the accounts, you never can.  Anyway, every so often I get these e-mails trying to link my daughter's up with people who are linked to other people.  I was constantly getting pictures of scantily clad teenagers (both sexes) in e-mails (I guess it was their avatar) and was so vulgar and repulsive that a rule was created in Outlook to just throw them in the trash.