• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Worldly Music in Church Weddings

brosmith

• Members

Oh, well, it isn't your business as to whether he was wanted or not. Right? The husband forbade attendance - something well within his right and responsibility as husband and father - and his wife and daughter chose to honor him by not attending.

The oddity was maybe if he wasn't included in the invitation.

It seems odd also that he seemed to feel it's more important to tell us he wanted to snub his friends over music, than to wish them well by attending. Edited by farouk

• Members

Num - they make really good iced mocha lattes! ( :ot::icon_smile: )

Just wanted to insert here: I've been invited to weddings before, with my hubby not being included. Reason? I knew them, he didn't. At least not well.

I see; good point, yes.

(Save the ice cream for the cake topping ... )

• Members

Its not about snubbing anyone, its about standing with God and His principles. If I were invited to a wedding at a church and before hand I knew they were going to have music that was ungodly I would not go, if I were asked why I would not or did not attend, I would have to be honest.

I fail to understand why people that do not attend church want a church wedding, I suppose its about social standings, and not about Jesus.

One thing that needs to be kept out of Jesus' Churches is worldly weddings. Many of those worldly people have their very own idea about wedding vows. For example, many women do not want the words, 'serve, and obey you as long as we both shall live.' And some of them do not want nothing about God in their wedding.

• Members

Its not about snubbing anyone, its about standing with God and His principles. If I were invited to a wedding at a church and before hand I knew they were going to have music that was ungodly I would not go, if I were asked why I would not or did not attend, I would have to be honest.

I fail to understand why people that do not attend church want a church wedding, I suppose its about social standings, and not about Jesus.

One thing that needs to be kept out of Jesus' Churches is worldly weddings. Many of those worldly people have their very own idea about wedding vows. For example, many women do not want the words, 'serve, and obey you as long as we both shall live.' And some of them do not want nothing about God in their wedding.

Many professing Christians have no real desire to please God rather than man. They are much more comfortable offending God (they don't even notice it!) than they are offending man in standing for God.

A lot of unsaved folks want a church wedding because of tradition. Some are "worldly Christians" and want that appearance of religion in their wedding.

Today it's very common for those being married to write their own "vows" which typically leave out true biblical vows. Few today want to say, let alone actually commit to follow, traditional, biblical marriage vows. To most who get married these days, the vows are just words, not an actual vow (promise, lifetime committment) before the true, living God and man.

Sad to say, but some churches allow virtually anything during weddings and receptions in their churches. I've heard of and seen video clips of church weddings where the people were not even dressed for a wedding, but were wearing very skimpy beach attire; I've seen weddings featuring videos or slides of the bride and groom and their friends in skimpy swimwear, drinking booze, acting the fool, some churches allow booze in the church for the reception and in some cases there are people leaving the reception from the church drunk. All the while there is rockin' worldly music of the vilest sort playing within the church.

Is it any wonder so many lost souls look at professing Christians today and see nothing they think they may need or want?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

1. The usage of contemporary christian music.
2. The usage of jazz music.
3. The usage of music from an unsaved jazz musician (Kenny G).
4. The usage of such music while a pastor is praying is very nauseating.
5. Instead of God being the center of the ceremony, the music was.

• 2 months later...
  • Members
It's not control - it's maintaining the standards and testimony of the church. As far as the 'trust and fellowship', I dare say that if a church is in close enough fellowship with the bride & groom, they won't need to check the music. And if there wasn't that familiarity - well, it's not a matter of trust so much as it is allowing for the fact that people outside the church family, no matter how sincere, may not understand the specifics of the church's standards.

I know that this is an old thread but I need to make a comment here. My take on the ministry is this: never assume that somebody is going to do the right thing in a given situation. Talking about standrards and convictions does not guarantee that a person or a church has any. It is not a standard or conviction unless the life of the individual or the practice of the church bears witness to it. There are many hypocrites and deceivers in this world and God warns us to mark them and avoid them. Edited by brosmith

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I know this is a old thread but what is wrong with Kenny G's music other then he is not saved? Its not like he was doing a punk rocking music with Satanic words in them , I have feeling the couple used forever in love am'i correct? What is wrong with a song about Love? There is no words in the music there are just some simple words and they are not wicked then rock music.
I had Shania Twains From this Moment on at our wedding ,it was too my husband because I loved him from this moment on ETC. He had Kenny Rogers Vows Go unbroken, these were oked by our pastor at the time and elders of the church.
I went to a Baptist wedding in 07 and they had racal flatts song God Blessed the broken road song and something else, it was a modest wedding and very Christian.
Its a Pastor's choice and what he allows in the church, so if the Pastor of that church allowed such music then it was the couples love songs to each other.
My husband sang to me at our wedding reception he saved it until the reception hall and dancing when we got married. However, all I am saying you don't know the couples heart that picked those songs.