• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Worldly Music in Church Weddings

brosmith

• Moderators

It's not control - it's maintaining the standards and testimony of the church. As far as the 'trust and fellowship', I daresay that if a church is in close enough fellowship with the bride & groom, they won't need to check the music. And if there wasn't that familiarity - well, it's not a matter of trust so much as it is allowing for the fact that people outside the church family, no matter how sincere, may not understand the specifics of the church's standards.

My church has chosen to escape all these issues by allowing only members (or members of like-churches) to be married in our building. It also protects us from the legal consequences that might come by refusing to host unnatural marriages.

• Members

Do all professing Christians properly discern right from wrong when it comes to music, videos and such? Some churches marry those outside their church as well, can it be known the level of their spiritual maturity or even if they are born again or not?

Many professing Christians today are caught up in the world. They are just as likely to want to play music from Black Eyed Peas, Beyonce or Toby Keith as are those not professing to be Christians.

How many professing Christians falsely believe there is nothing wrong with being seen wearing skimpy swimwear, including bikinis, and would have no problem wanting to show pictures or videos including such at their wedding? About as many as the world.

Should a pastor allow wickedness to be played from the sound system and shown on the screen just because somebody wants it that way? Not if he's following Christ!

• Members
Should a pastor allow wickedness to be played from the sound system and shown on the screen just because somebody wants it that way? Not if he's following Christ!

Amen and Amen! But then I have been called "judgmental" and "unloving" dozens of times for saying stuff like that.

The particular pastor that I was referring to has repeatedly compromised in the area of music as well as other areas. The recent wedding at this church included music by "Kenny G" (a modern jazz musician). If the pastor would listen to what I have to say I would tell him one thing: REPENT OF THIS THY WICKEDNESS!

• Members

It's not control - it's maintaining the standards and testimony of the church. As far as the 'trust and fellowship', I daresay that if a church is in close enough fellowship with the bride & groom, they won't need to check the music. And if there wasn't that familiarity - well, it's not a matter of trust so much as it is allowing for the fact that people outside the church family, no matter how sincere, may not understand the specifics of the church's standards.

My church has chosen to escape all these issues by allowing only members (or members of like-churches) to be married in our building. It also protects us from the legal consequences that might come by refusing to host unnatural marriages.

Salyan, our church does the same thing. Our dear pastor says "I'm not in the marriage business, I'm in the salvation business", meaning he's not obligated by God to marry anyone who happens to pass by and deisres to be married by him. He will only consent to officiate at a wedding when he knows the couple, and knows them to be mature spiritually and ready to abide by Biblical principles in their lives.

The standards *must* be kept. Worldly attitudes, including secular music and immodetst dress that are often part of wedding ceremonies, cannot be permitted to infect the churches. In Joshua 7 Achan took silver, gold and a "goodly Babylonish garment" from the spoils that they were specifically commanded NOT to touch. His entire family, all his cattle, and servants were stoned then burned because of his disobedience. We have been commanded to separate ourselves from the world. The penalty for making compromises in order to "not seem too harsh or unloving" will mean death to us and death to those for whom we should be serving as a witness.

You cannot make compromises even in seemingly little things (such as music for a wedding ceremony) because they invite greater compromises and greater sin.

• Administrators

Even if it is control, so what? If a couple wanted to get married anywhere else, there would be rules that they would have to comply with in order to rent the place. So, just because it's a church, we should say that there should be no overseer of things? No.

Weddings in our church are only for members as well.

• Members

I didn't start the thread and maybe the emphasis has shifted a teeny bit from the OP (maybe I contributed to this, I don't know). The original poster seemed to think that boycotting a wedding was the thing to do in case the music did not meet one's approval. Whereas I wonder whether it can be reasonably assumed that different people can have varying musical tastes, and being there to witness a friend's wedding is the main reason for the invitation to be issued graciously.

• Members

Individuals who are invited to a wedding have the right to decide to attend or not, whatever the reason.

HappyChristian:

Yes, indeed.

It might be wise to keep quiet about the reason, why, however, if it a matter of music would keep one away.

• Members

Like, if it was our wedding, we would have expected someone simply to say they were already committed to something else on that day, instead of friends and relatives of ours who we assumed would want to come, to have told us straight: we're not coming because we don't think we'll like the music.

Blessings.

• Members

Well, if I weren't going to a wedding, but didn't have a previous commitment, I certainly wouldn't say I did... :laff cry:

'Otherwise engaged' can mean a whole lot of things. Or a response card that says simply 'unable to attend'.

• Administrators

A response card is great. And, BTW, the OP never said anything about telling people lack of attendance is due to music. He listed an actual happenstance, but nowhere did he say that he cited the reason to those involved in the wedding. Again, they chose not to attend for music reasons...reasons that fall well within their right to ascertain.

• Members

A response card is great. And, BTW, the OP never said anything about telling people lack of attendance is due to music. He listed an actual happenstance, but nowhere did he say that he cited the reason to those involved in the wedding. Again, they chose not to attend for music reasons...reasons that fall well within their right to ascertain.

HappyChristian:

He said his wife and daughter were formally invited, but he forbade them. Maybe we could assume he was invited, too; it would seem odd if he wasn't, but, then, maybe the couple in question didn't want him there ....

It all seems a bit odd, to me.

Blessings.

• Administrators

Oh, well, it isn't your business as to whether he was wanted or not. Right? The husband forbade attendance - something well within his right and responsibility as husband and father - and his wife and daughter chose to honor him by not attending.