• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Worldly Music in Church Weddings

brosmith

• Members

There was a wedding recently in the church where I used to be the associate pastor. We left the church last summer over several issues including music. My family did not attend the wedding (although my wife and daughter were formally invited). I thought it wise not to allow them to go. My caution was based upon the type of music that was used while we were attending there.

Several days after the wedding we were given a CD of the service. I was somewhat dumbfounded but not altogether surprised by the use of worldly music. In the year and a half that we were a part of this church, the pastor illustrated over and over again that he is a compromiser and that he does not know the meaning of Biblical separation. This is just another example of his chosen path of apostasy.

Here are the 3 music selections that were used in the wedding:
(links are included so that you can play the recording of the actual service):

Note: The links that were provided have been removed
because the files are no longer accessible on the internet.

The m3u files will play the mp3 files without having to download them.

Edited by brosmith

• Members

My sound function is dead on my computer.

Usually some discretion is given to the couple to have the wedding how they want it.

I wonder what the original post is supposed to prove about the role of (former) preachers in vetoing music in churches which are not attended?

I wonder if family members also can be deemed to be capable of realizing that one person's music preference may not be another's, even if they do attend? I wonder also whether the mere presence of someone at a wedding actually means that he or she 'likes' the music?

Edited by farouk

• Members

PS: I might not like this particular music, either; but I would have thought that the main issue at a wedding is identifying with the joy of two people being united before God, who have been gracious enough to invite others to witness it.

• Members

There is music that needs to be kept out of the church, even when a wedding is taking place. Yet many churches will let any type of music into their churches when its not regular worship services, and some let any type in during that time.

There is just not much fear of the Lord with some people, and others just don't know any better.

Once a friend was bad mouthing an Assembly of God Church. His son was going to get married there, and his son nor the woman he was marrying were members of this church. The pastor found out the songs they were going to use, and I believe there were two that he told them they could not use. they told him they would sue any song they pleased, that did not go over very well. Yet the pastor told them, leave those two songs out, pick two more songs that I approve of, and your welcome to have your wedding here, if not, them no wedding in this church.

My friend was surprised that I agreed with the pastor, and telling him he should not be bad mouthing him.

In the church is no place for worldly music, not even when its a wedding.

• Members

I guess part of the issue for some ppl, would be: who's in charge here?

The church doesn't have to perform every wedding they are asked to perform and they don't have to allow anything into their church they deem inappropriate. The church/pastor is in charge with regards to what is and isn't acceptable in their church.

• Moderators

I concur with John. Those gettting married are free to get married wherever they choose. If they don't like the rules at one place, they are welcome to go somewhere else.

Even secular venues have rules of behavior or limitations on guests. Why shouldn't churches?

• Members

I guess it's all part of the 'package' of whether venue is going to be used at all.

But I don't think it's so much the venue and the touchy-feelliness of the building that is important, as it is the company of the fellow Christians and friends. The legal side is different again; in some countries any 'religious' ceremony has to be preceded by a civil ceremony.

• Members

Jesus' Churches are sacred, set apart, and must be guarded, and the world kept out. Each one has the right to refuse that which does not bring glory to God from coming inside.

Agreed,

Our church would normally only marry a church member and would reject the wedding if one party was an unbeliever.

• Members

Whatever music, slides, videos and such a couple plans to use needs to be provided ahead of time to make sure it's acceptable and so the media people can prepare everything.

John81:

Okay, so control is better than trust, and a spirit of fellowship, among Christians?