Online Baptist Community
  • Newest Sermon Entry

• By 1Timothy115 in Devotionals
      Psalms 119:1-8                                         Sep. 5 - Oct. 2, 2019
      1 ALEPH. Blessed are the undefiled in the way, who walk in the law of the LORD.
      2 Blessed are they that keep his testimonies, and that seek him with the whole heart.
      3 They also do no iniquity: they walk in his ways.
      4 Thou hast commanded us to keep thy precepts diligently.
      5 O that my ways were directed to keep thy statutes!
      6 Then shall I not be ashamed, when I have respect unto all thy commandments.
      7 I will praise thee with uprightness of heart, when I shall have learned thy righteous judgments.
      8 I will keep thy statutes: O forsake me not utterly.
      The following verse stood out to me...
      5 O that my ways were directed to keep thy statutes!
      At first glance it seemed to me this person’s soul is poured out with intense desire to have God’s direction in keeping His Word.
      I made a small wood fire in our backyard for my granddaughter, Julia, since she would be staying overnight with us. My wife and Julia stayed outside at the fire for about half an hour. Then, I found myself alone to watch the fire die out on a particularly lovely evening. So I took my verse from above and began to repeat it for memorization. As I repeated the verse, I tried to contemplate the words and apply them to what I was seeing around me. 
      The moon and stars were out now peering through the scattered clouds above.
      [Genesis 1:16 And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also. Genesis 1:17 And God set them in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth, Genesis 1:18 And to rule over the day and over the night, and to divide the light from the darkness: and God saw that it was good.]
      Thought 1         
      The moon has stayed his course since the day God created him, also the stars, obeying the statutes directed by God from the first day they were created. Can you imagine God’s direction to the Moon and stars, “moon you will have a path through the sky above the earth, stars you will occupy the firmament above the moon and be clearly visible in the cloudless night sky.”
      Then, the trees, grass, even the air we breathe obey the statues God gave them from the beginning. None of these creations have souls, none have hearts, none have intelligence, but they all observe God’s statutes, His instructions for their limited time on earth.
      Thought 2
      What if we were like the moon, stars, trees, grass, or the other creations which have no soul? We would be directed to keep God’s statutes without choosing to keep them. This is not the image of God, there would be no dominion over other creatures, or over the earth. We would not be capable of experiencing the joy and peace of learning the love of God
      Genesis 1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
      Philippians 4:7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
      Thought 3 (October 2, 2019)
      Is the psalmist pleading God to force God’s statutes to become the man’s ways? No, he is speaking of his own failure in keeping God’s statutes and his desire to keep them, very much like Paul in Romans 7:14-25.
      God doesn’t work through force to turn men from their ways that they would desire His statutes or desire God Himself. Men must reject (repent) put aside his own ways and voluntarily seek God and His statutes.

How strongly would you try to dissuade a 17-year old from getting an eyebrow barbell?

Rate this topic

farouk

I think issues like this get bogged down every time (misunderstandings, etc.) for this reason: we get so caught up in "the issue" that we forget to notice that others who might disagree with us are trying to follow Scripture, too, and are just applying it differently. Nobody's saying that Scripture shouldn't be informing us on this issue; we just see it differently. I should be careful to condemn, and quick to encourage, IMO...just like I want people to treat me and my opinions.

Biblical answers were provided long ago, it's been the attempt to ignore such that has prolonged the duration of this thread.

John81:

Only at the very end did HappyChristian, finally, give some sort of response as to why if verse 28 of Leviticus 19 applies today, then how to view verse 27. I don't particularly recall anyone else attempting to deal directly with this question.

With me it doesn't matter. But let's hope if people coming to a local church and asking questions from the Scriptures and seeking particularly to understand the relationship and differences between the Old and New Testaments will find answers which they understand.

Blessings. Edited by farouk

I think issues like this get bogged down every time (misunderstandings, etc.) for this reason: we get so caught up in "the issue" that we forget to notice that others who might disagree with us are trying to follow Scripture, too, and are just applying it differently. Nobody's saying that Scripture shouldn't be informing us on this issue; we just see it differently. I should be careful to condemn, and quick to encourage, IMO...just like I want people to treat me and my opinions.

Anne:

Thank-you. I also think that if preaching culture were less overtly denunciatory and more analytical, comparing Scripture with Scripture, people would be more attuned to thinking through an issue doctrinally.

Blessings.

• Independent Fundamental Baptist

John81:

Only at the very end did HappyChristian, finally, give some sort of response as to why if verse 28 of Leviticus 19 applies today, then how to view verse 27. I don't particularly recall anyone else attempting to deal directly with this question.

With me it doesn't matter. But let's hope if people coming to a local church and asking questions from the Scriptures and seeking particularly to understand the relationship and differences between the Old and New Testaments will find answers which they understand.

Blessings.

Which questions had nothing to do with the topic and have been dealt with elsewhere. As others have noted, such questionings distract from the point at hand.

Actually, our opinions don't matter, especially when Scripture gives us more than enough to rightly deal with the topic of this thread.

Part of our problem is in wanting to overthink things or viewing things through the lense of the modern concept of freedom and independence. Christians are called to cast off the old man, forsake the ways of the world, putting on the new man in Christ, submitting fully to the Lordship of Christ in our lives.

If we truly surrender to Christ and endeavor to fully follow Christ, our focus will be upon Him and expanding His kingdom. The things of the world won't be what we want. We won't be seeking our own way.

We are presented with many choices throughout each day. Will we choose to follow Christ or will we choose to satisfy our flesh? Will we pursue the things of heaven or the things of the world?

Actually, our opinions don't matter, especially when Scripture gives us more than enough to rightly deal with the topic of this thread.

Part of our problem is in wanting to overthink things or viewing things through the lense of the modern concept of freedom and independence. Christians are called to cast off the old man, forsake the ways of the world, putting on the new man in Christ, submitting fully to the Lordship of Christ in our lives.

If we truly surrender to Christ and endeavor to fully follow Christ, our focus will be upon Him and expanding His kingdom. The things of the world won't be what we want. We won't be seeking our own way.

We are presented with many choices throughout each day. Will we choose to follow Christ or will we choose to satisfy our flesh? Will we pursue the things of heaven or the things of the world?

Yes sir, AMEN!!

Would it really matter if there was a "Thou shalt not ....................................... on this subject?" Of course not, many there be that love the world, and its way, and they will adopt them, them try to get other Christians to do the same while they quote Scriptures out of context to justify their self, just as the scribes, Pharisees & hypocrites did in the days of Jesus. This topic even reminds me of the scribes, Pharisees, & hypocrites that argued with and tried to trip us Jesus.

And this would not even be a topic if it were not for worldly people that follow their precarious ways, that which seems right in their eyes, while born again Christians try to justify following them and their precarious ways.

Oh how hard it is for many to overcome the world, truly letting go of it, denying their self so that they can truly follow Jesus closely.

Ro 12:1 ¶ I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.
Ro 12:2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

By the way, Jesus is the exampel for us to follow, He had no ear rings, nose rings, tattoos, not even a pillow. Remember, the Scriptures are clear.

Mt 16:24 Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.

You nor I can follow Him unless we deny our self, that is not be conformed to the world, but be transformed, and His way will not be grievous to His brothers, and sisters.

Would it really matter if there was a "Thou shalt not ....................................... on this subject?" Of course not, many there be that love the world, and its way, and they will adopt them, them try to get other Christians to do the same while they quote Scriptures out of context to justify their self, just as the scribes, Pharisees & hypocrites did in the days of Jesus. This topic even reminds me of the scribes, Pharisees, & hypocrites that argued with and tried to trip us Jesus.

And this would not even be a topic if it were not for worldly people that follow their precarious ways, that which seems right in their eyes, while born again Christians try to justify following them and their precarious ways.

Oh how hard it is for many to overcome the world, truly letting go of it, denying their self so that they can truly follow Jesus closely.

Ro 12:1 ¶ I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.
Ro 12:2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

By the way, Jesus is the exampel for us to follow, He had no ear rings, nose rings, tattoos, not even a pillow. Remember, the Scriptures are clear.

Mt 16:24 Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.

You nor I can follow Him unless we deny our self, that is not be conformed to the world, but be transformed, and His way will not be grievous to His brothers, and sisters.

Amen!!! Preach it brother! :goodpost: