Online Baptist Community
  • Newest Sermon Entry

• By 1Timothy115 in Devotionals
      Psalms 119:1-8                                         Sep. 5 - Oct. 2, 2019
      1 ALEPH. Blessed are the undefiled in the way, who walk in the law of the LORD.
      2 Blessed are they that keep his testimonies, and that seek him with the whole heart.
      3 They also do no iniquity: they walk in his ways.
      4 Thou hast commanded us to keep thy precepts diligently.
      5 O that my ways were directed to keep thy statutes!
      6 Then shall I not be ashamed, when I have respect unto all thy commandments.
      7 I will praise thee with uprightness of heart, when I shall have learned thy righteous judgments.
      8 I will keep thy statutes: O forsake me not utterly.
      The following verse stood out to me...
      5 O that my ways were directed to keep thy statutes!
      At first glance it seemed to me this person’s soul is poured out with intense desire to have God’s direction in keeping His Word.
      I made a small wood fire in our backyard for my granddaughter, Julia, since she would be staying overnight with us. My wife and Julia stayed outside at the fire for about half an hour. Then, I found myself alone to watch the fire die out on a particularly lovely evening. So I took my verse from above and began to repeat it for memorization. As I repeated the verse, I tried to contemplate the words and apply them to what I was seeing around me. 
      The moon and stars were out now peering through the scattered clouds above.
      [Genesis 1:16 And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also. Genesis 1:17 And God set them in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth, Genesis 1:18 And to rule over the day and over the night, and to divide the light from the darkness: and God saw that it was good.]
      Thought 1         
      The moon has stayed his course since the day God created him, also the stars, obeying the statutes directed by God from the first day they were created. Can you imagine God’s direction to the Moon and stars, “moon you will have a path through the sky above the earth, stars you will occupy the firmament above the moon and be clearly visible in the cloudless night sky.”
      Then, the trees, grass, even the air we breathe obey the statues God gave them from the beginning. None of these creations have souls, none have hearts, none have intelligence, but they all observe God’s statutes, His instructions for their limited time on earth.
      Thought 2
      What if we were like the moon, stars, trees, grass, or the other creations which have no soul? We would be directed to keep God’s statutes without choosing to keep them. This is not the image of God, there would be no dominion over other creatures, or over the earth. We would not be capable of experiencing the joy and peace of learning the love of God
      Genesis 1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
      Philippians 4:7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
      Thought 3 (October 2, 2019)
      Is the psalmist pleading God to force God’s statutes to become the man’s ways? No, he is speaking of his own failure in keeping God’s statutes and his desire to keep them, very much like Paul in Romans 7:14-25.
      God doesn’t work through force to turn men from their ways that they would desire His statutes or desire God Himself. Men must reject (repent) put aside his own ways and voluntarily seek God and His statutes.

How strongly would you try to dissuade a 17-year old from getting an eyebrow barbell?

Rate this topic

farouk

• Lady Administrators

Deb - I don't think any of us would say to ignore the Old Testamtent...that would be very foolish. The Old Testament is the original foundation of Christianity, with pictures that point us directly to Christ. There is an old saying: "The Old Testament is the New Testament concealed; the New Testament is the Old Testament revealed." There are pictures and principles in the OT that are very important for us as Christians. Please don't think I would ever dissuade from knowing the OT. But to base our practices today on verses in the OT that are teaching something different from what we are trying to have them say isn't good. The passage in Ez. is specifically referring to spiritual adultery...Following the philosophy of the world is, for Christians, spiritual adultery. So, if that passage were to be used in teaching a 17 year old, it would need to be approached from the point of spiritual adultery.

It isn't condoning earrings, farouk, and that isn't the gist of the passage, so to focus on that is a misapplication of scripture.

HappyChristian:

The passage certainly speaks about a lot of other things as well. But the passage does say the Lord Himself gave the earrings, so I'm a bit confused by your statement.

Blessings.

• Lady Administrators

farouk, did God give literal earrings in this passage? No. It's a picture of His taking Israel as His own, as His wife...decking her out with ornaments and jewelry (which shows that there isn't anything wrong with men giving their wives ornamental things), etc. And then He goes on to describe her adultery. It's about spiritual adultery. To use it as a justification for boys/men to wear earrings is a misapplication of scripture.

farouk, did God give literal earrings in this passage? No. It's a picture of His taking Israel as His own, as His wife...decking her out with ornaments and jewelry (which shows that there isn't anything wrong with men giving their wives ornamental things), etc. And then He goes on to describe her adultery. It's about spiritual adultery. To use it as a justification for boys/men to wear earrings is a misapplication of scripture.

HappyChristian:

Ty. I didn't say it referred to boys, but I was responding to the not 'condoning' bit, but yes I think you already said your ears were done too, in any case. In the OT (in a specific context) it also refers to male ear piercing, maybe not in the context that happens today, but anyway. Ty. Blessings.

• Independent Fundamental Baptist

Good postings in rightly dividing the Word of truth.

• Lady Administrators

HappyChristian:

Ty. I didn't say it referred to boys, but I was responding to the not 'condoning' bit, but yes I think you already said your ears were done too, in any case. In the OT (in a specific context) it also refers to male ear piercing, maybe not in the context that happens today, but anyway. Ty. Blessings.

It still isn't condoning earrings. It's just making a statement. Neither does it condemn them (on wives, as the passage speaks of). This passage doesn't refer to male ear piercing. There are other passages that do, but they can't be seen as condoning men wearing earrings...

Again, to repeat, I didn't say it referred to boys.

The Old Testament does refer to male ear piercing elsewhere, though.

Are you concerned with following Christ as commanded throughout the New Testament or are you more interested in looking for ways to justify worldly things?

I'm asking this in a serious manner, not as an affront (I say this to make myself clear since sometimes things can be misviewed without benefit of tone and body language).

I've noticed in several posts you seem to promote or approve of various piercings on males (sometimes females), tattoos, men and women wearing immodest swimsuits in the company of those they are not married to, the idea that couples should be allowed to play whatever music they like at a wedding in a church, etc.

To be honest, these seem like the postings of one seeking to justify worldly living by those professing to be Christian. Several people have put forth sound Scripture addressing all of these issues yet you continue to post in a manner seeking yet to justify such.

What is the point of doing so here? There are many watered down and worldly Christian forums that will readily accept the idea of professing Christians living like the world.

It still isn't condoning earrings. It's just making a statement. Neither does it condemn them (on wives, as the passage speaks of). This passage doesn't refer to male ear piercing. There are other passages that do, but they can't be seen as condoning men wearing earrings...

Amen! It's so uplifting reading your "sticking to Scripture rightly divided" postings.

Happy Christian:

Oh okay, Now I see how you're using the phrase 'not condoning'.

I thought you meant 'not condoning' as referring to being unscriptural and indefensible, in your view.

Now I see that you were referring to it being neither one way nor the other.

Keifer:

Thanks for this; the same passage seems to say about not shaving. Do you shave? and how do you handle it exegetically?

Blessings.

The passage says nothing of shaving Farouk, nor insinuates so. You need to go to the original Hebrew text for your answer. The word used in this Scripture for 'cuttings' is "sehret" which means "an incision". In modern vernacular it would mean 'piercings'. The verse is saying not to make any piercings in or tattos on your flesh.

As a father one has to do as he's led when dealing with his son. If he were mine, there would be neither piercings nor tattoos as long as he lived in my house.

The passage says nothing of shaving Farouk, nor insinuates so. You need to go to the original Hebrew text for your answer. The word used in this Scripture for 'cuttings' is "sehret" which means "an incision". In modern vernacular it would mean 'piercings'. The verse is saying not to make any piercings in or tattos on your flesh.

As a father one has to do as he's led when dealing with his son. If he were mine, there would be neither piercings nor tattoos as long as he lived in my house.

Keifer:

I was thinking of the previous verse (27):

'Ye shall not round the corners of your heads, neither shalt thou mar the corners of thy beard. '

Just making an honest, exegetical enquiry. (Maybe it doesn't help that I don't go to an independent baptist church, and I'm not in the US, so I'm maybe not fully part of the exact, cultural scene, though I would certainly agree with a great deal of what you guys stand for.)

Blessings.

(John81: Thanks for your comments; again, it might be a cultural thing, to some extent.) Edited by farouk

• Lady Administrators

Being in an IFB church and living in the US has nothing to do with it. There's enough similarity between the culture of Canada and the US for that to be a moot issue, farouk. And, regardless of church affiliation, the Bible is to be followed.

Those verses are dealing with NOT following the fads and practices of the pagans with whom Israel was surrounded. Our application? Not following the fads of the world, not being swayed by the philosophy of the world, as per instruction in the NT to be separate from the world, to God.

Being in an IFB church and living in the US has nothing to do with it. There's enough similarity between the culture of Canada and the US for that to be a moot issue, farouk. And, regardless of church affiliation, the Bible is to be followed.

Those verses are dealing with NOT following the fads and practices of the pagans with whom Israel was surrounded. Our application? Not following the fads of the world, not being swayed by the philosophy of the world, as per instruction in the NT to be separate from the world, to God.

HappyChristian:

In general terms I agree, yes. There is truth to what you say.

Deb did point out the verse where sons wore earrings in the Old Testament, so it's not completely without precedent.

Blessings.

Yes, Deb did point those out. But those verses don't condone earrings on males. Remember, they were about to make a grave image with those earrings. And where did they put those earrings in? Why, in Egypt, the picture of the world....

Happy Christian:

From Exodus 32.2, it could I suppose be argued that the folk should have kept their earrings in, rather than taken them out and used them for the purpose they did. :unsure:

HappyChristian:

In general terms I agree, yes. There is truth to what you say.

Deb did point out the verse where sons wore earrings in the Old Testament, so it's not completely without precedent.

Blessings.

Could you answer post #90 so we may have a better idea of what you have in mind?

I noticed when you were addressed directly on an issue in the thread on swimming pools you locked the thread rather than answering. In another thread when you were asked about the meaning of your screen name, given it's Arabic roots and possible conotations, you brushed them off.

• Lady Administrators

John, I don't know if farouk's name is actually that (your name can be whatever you want, farouk), but I do know the meaning of the name is "person who knows right from wrong." Perhaps, if that isn't his real name, that's why he chose it? :icon_smile: