• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

How strongly would you try to dissuade a 17-year old from getting an eyebrow barbell?

• Members

I agree, Orthodox Jews do wear their beards like that. And it is precisely what you say: they see themselves still under the OT law. They don't understand that, under Christ, we are free from the written law...and are to obey the principles as found in the NT (that does not negate the OT from being important to us...)

HappyChristian.

Yes, well I suppose that this was really my point all along, however imperfectly and even confusingly I may have managed to express myself.

Blessings.

• Administrators

Your point? That the verse on cuttings shouldn't be taken to mean brow bars? Perhaps we couldn't say that it absolutely applies, but the principle contained therein is repeated in the NT: separation from the world, distinction as a Christian...and brow bars aren't separate...so, full circle back to the OP, I guess. :icon_smile:

• Members

Your point? That the verse on cuttings shouldn't be taken to mean brow bars? Perhaps we couldn't say that it absolutely applies, but the principle contained therein is repeated in the NT: separation from the world, distinction as a Christian...and brow bars aren't separate...so, full circle back to the OP, I guess. :icon_smile:

HappyChristian:

Oh I believe in separation in principle. And I don't like eyebrow bars, either; maybe earrings are a bit better. Especially on a girl, maybe.

(I've been trying to think it through exegetically.)

Blessings.

• Members

I think issues like this get bogged down every time (misunderstandings, etc.) for this reason: we get so caught up in "the issue" that we forget to notice that others who might disagree with us are trying to follow Scripture, too, and are just applying it differently. Nobody's saying that Scripture shouldn't be informing us on this issue; we just see it differently. I should be careful to condemn, and quick to encourage, IMO...just like I want people to treat me and my opinions.

• Members

Biblical answers were provided long ago, it's been the attempt to ignore such that has prolonged the duration of this thread.

John81:

Only at the very end did HappyChristian, finally, give some sort of response as to why if verse 28 of Leviticus 19 applies today, then how to view verse 27. I don't particularly recall anyone else attempting to deal directly with this question.

With me it doesn't matter. But let's hope if people coming to a local church and asking questions from the Scriptures and seeking particularly to understand the relationship and differences between the Old and New Testaments will find answers which they understand.

Blessings. Edited by farouk

• Members

I think issues like this get bogged down every time (misunderstandings, etc.) for this reason: we get so caught up in "the issue" that we forget to notice that others who might disagree with us are trying to follow Scripture, too, and are just applying it differently. Nobody's saying that Scripture shouldn't be informing us on this issue; we just see it differently. I should be careful to condemn, and quick to encourage, IMO...just like I want people to treat me and my opinions.

Anne:

Thank-you. I also think that if preaching culture were less overtly denunciatory and more analytical, comparing Scripture with Scripture, people would be more attuned to thinking through an issue doctrinally.

Blessings.

• Members

John81:

Only at the very end did HappyChristian, finally, give some sort of response as to why if verse 28 of Leviticus 19 applies today, then how to view verse 27. I don't particularly recall anyone else attempting to deal directly with this question.

With me it doesn't matter. But let's hope if people coming to a local church and asking questions from the Scriptures and seeking particularly to understand the relationship and differences between the Old and New Testaments will find answers which they understand.

Blessings.

Which questions had nothing to do with the topic and have been dealt with elsewhere. As others have noted, such questionings distract from the point at hand.

• Members

Actually, our opinions don't matter, especially when Scripture gives us more than enough to rightly deal with the topic of this thread.

Part of our problem is in wanting to overthink things or viewing things through the lense of the modern concept of freedom and independence. Christians are called to cast off the old man, forsake the ways of the world, putting on the new man in Christ, submitting fully to the Lordship of Christ in our lives.

If we truly surrender to Christ and endeavor to fully follow Christ, our focus will be upon Him and expanding His kingdom. The things of the world won't be what we want. We won't be seeking our own way.

We are presented with many choices throughout each day. Will we choose to follow Christ or will we choose to satisfy our flesh? Will we pursue the things of heaven or the things of the world?

• Members

Actually, our opinions don't matter, especially when Scripture gives us more than enough to rightly deal with the topic of this thread.

Part of our problem is in wanting to overthink things or viewing things through the lense of the modern concept of freedom and independence. Christians are called to cast off the old man, forsake the ways of the world, putting on the new man in Christ, submitting fully to the Lordship of Christ in our lives.

If we truly surrender to Christ and endeavor to fully follow Christ, our focus will be upon Him and expanding His kingdom. The things of the world won't be what we want. We won't be seeking our own way.

We are presented with many choices throughout each day. Will we choose to follow Christ or will we choose to satisfy our flesh? Will we pursue the things of heaven or the things of the world?

Yes sir, AMEN!!