• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Biblical Interpretation

• Members

When somebody says "Well, everybody interprets the Bible differently, so there's really no way to know for sure what is right and wrong." What is the best answer to that? Usually I just say that you have to study in a certain way, contextually and study when and how it was written, etc....but still, there are many good men who do that and still come up with different ideas.

Some major conflicts (just for example, not for discussion here, please) would be tithing, church attendance, dress, divorce and remarriage, pastoral qualifications (i.e. husband of one wife), etc......

How do YOU answer someone who tells you that, basically, they can live as they do because the Bible is subject to many interpretations?

***Edited to apologize for starting a new thread, I see there is a similar one...but I'd like this one to be more along the lines of, what is your answer to the statement of somebody that the Bible is open to many interpretations, all of which are fine?*****

• Members

Nothing you can say. Usually someone who uses the "there are so many interpretations" excuse are already set in their mind in what they will believe and/or how they will act. The bible says that every man should be thoroughly persuaded in his own mind. Now if they are someone who believes that there is only one interpretation (though there can be many applications) you might have a chance on convincing of your stance.

Edited by Wilchbla

• Members

When somebody says "Well, everybody interprets the Bible differently, so there's really no way to know for sure what is right and wrong." What is the best answer to that? Usually I just say that you have to study in a certain way, contextually and study when and how it was written, etc....but still, there are many good men who do that and still come up with different ideas.

Some major conflicts (just for example, not for discussion here, please) would be tithing, church attendance, dress, divorce and remarriage, pastoral qualifications (i.e. husband of one wife), etc......

How do YOU answer someone who tells you that, basically, they can live as they do because the Bible is subject to many interpretations?

***Edited to apologize for starting a new thread, I see there is a similar one...but I'd like this one to be more along the lines of, what is your answer to the statement of somebody that the Bible is open to many interpretations, all of which are fine?*****

I think you could say that the Bible is self interpreting. That might open the opportunity to demonstrate a few examples. You might show them Corinthians where it says that we are to compare spiritual things with spiritual. Also you might show them Peter where it says that no scripture is of private interpretation.
You might tell them how thankful you are that the Bible is that way since so many people are confused about what is the truth.

• Members

I agree with both Wikchbla & Marty. To me such people are looking for loopholes in the Bible, and replacing God's thoughts and ways in the Bible with their thoughts and their ways.

The only thing that can change them is God's Holy Spirit, them only if they be sensitive to it, and their heart not hardened.

• Members

Most who say that are not really interested in what the Bible actually says, but in what they can make it say.

For those who may actually be open to learning, it must be pointed out that Scripture interprets Scripture and one must consider the Bible as a whole and not as an isolated verse here and another there.

We also have to acknowledge that only those born again in Christ have the Holy Ghost within them to help teach them, and even then we must be yielded to His teaching. If the person we are talking with isn't a born again believer they will not be able to rightly interpret Scripture.

• 11 months later...
  • Members

And it does not mean actually what it says, for instances, the homosexual crowd claims the Bible says nothing against homosexuality.

A woman Episcopal priest was on TV news explaining that the anti-homosexual passages in the Bible are just the reflection of bigoted, unenlightened men from a barbaric time in history. She went on to say that such passages are not applicable today because we are so much more enlightened today than were those bigotted men back then.

If one is willing to reject whatever portions of Scripture they don't like there is no point in talking with them. If they reject Scripture as we have it then they have rejected the only solid standard of truth.

• Members

A woman Episcopal priest was on TV news explaining that the anti-homosexual passages in the Bible are just the reflection of bigoted, unenlightened men from a barbaric time in history. She went on to say that such passages are not applicable today because we are so much more enlightened today than were those bigotted men back then.

If one is willing to reject whatever portions of Scripture they don't like there is no point in talking with them. If they reject Scripture as we have it then they have rejected the only solid standard of truth.

So, according to her, Jesus and the Apostles were a "bigoted, unenlightened man from a barbaric time in history".

Matthew 7:14-16 KJB
14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
15 Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.
16 Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?

Jeremiah 23:1-2 KJB
Woe be unto the pastors that destroy and scatter the sheep of my pasture! saith the Lord.
2 Therefore thus saith the Lord God of Israel against the pastors that feed my people; Ye have scattered my flock, and driven them away, and have not visited them: behold, I will visit upon you the evil of your doings, saith the Lord.

2 Timothy 4:2-4 KJB
2 Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all long suffering and doctrine.
3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;
4 And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.

John, would this woman be the Episcopal priest you saw? This link goes to the Huffington Post Gay Voices, where Rev. Susan Russell has a blog. "Episcopal priest and activist from Pasadena, Calif." http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rev-susan-russell/in-defense-of-bigotry_b_1301574.html?ref=gay-voices I didn't dig any deeper, as I was getting into areas that I prefer not to visit.

• Members

Great example John. Yes, nice, that woman places herself ahead of God, becoming her own god. People such as she only encourages homosexuals to stay in their sin, & stay separated from God.

• Members

So, according to her, Jesus and the Apostles were a "bigoted, unenlightened man from a barbaric time in history".

Matthew 7:14-16 KJB
14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
15 Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.
16 Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?

Jeremiah 23:1-2 KJB
Woe be unto the pastors that destroy and scatter the sheep of my pasture! saith the Lord.
2 Therefore thus saith the Lord God of Israel against the pastors that feed my people; Ye have scattered my flock, and driven them away, and have not visited them: behold, I will visit upon you the evil of your doings, saith the Lord.

2 Timothy 4:2-4 KJB
2 Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all long suffering and doctrine.
3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;
4 And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.

John, would this woman be the Episcopal priest you saw? This link goes to the Huffington Post Gay Voices, where Rev. Susan Russell has a blog. "Episcopal priest and activist from Pasadena, Calif." http://www.huffingto...?ref=gay-voices I didn't dig any deeper, as I was getting into areas that I prefer not to visit.

This is a different one. The woman Episcopal priest I saw on the news was from some eastern church, perhaps from PA, but I don't recall now.

The Episcopal church is filled with ungodly "priests" and teachings and is not a place for anyone who actually claims Christ.

• Members

I usually respond that there is 1 interpretation of Scripture and many applications.

2Pe 1:20 - 21
Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation. For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.