• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

"four corners"

• Administrators

The four corners of the earth is a figure of speech, meaning from the entire world (as in the Jews being gathered from thence). It is interesting that scientists used to believe the earth is flat - in fact, there is still a flat earth movement out there. http://theflatearthsociety.org/cms/

When I was in college, we had a Bible and Science class. I loved that class - that professor was actually my favorite of many favorites. Anyway, he liked to divide us into groups and have us debate scientific/Biblical things (like evolution). His goal was to get us to be familiar enough with scripture that we could have an answer for the reason of the hope that lieth in us. Came the day to debate a round or flat earth...and I was put on the flat earth side. Well, I knew the Bible teaches a round earth, but I also knew the verses about the corners (in Revelation, the angels stand on the corners...). And so I was armed to "argue" that the earth is flat, and to use scripture (obviously taken out of context) to support it and defeat my opponent. Unfortunately, my opponent did not know that the Bible in any way mentioned the earth being round. So I won the debate. It was fun, but it was also a lesson in how we need to be careful of using scripture just to justify our own beliefs, instead of forming our beliefs based solely on scripture.

• Members

Context, context is everything in the Bible, and some cannot understand context of the Bible, so we have those that teach one is saved by works, baptizing, and such things, refusing to believe one is saved by grace though faith in Jesus, not of self, not of works.

So it is with some that claim the Bible teaches a square earth, thinking that proves God is wrong, so they say there is no God, or if there is, he made a mistake on that issue so he is not holy, and is not perfect.

Edited by Jerry80871852