• Welcome to Online Baptist

Free to join.

michae1

The Beast Revelation

I believe Linda stated, that is if my memory is correct, there is nothing that has to happen between now & Jesus coming back for His own, yet many still keeps looking for signs, & stating this & that which only confuses many making them even more suspicious of Bible teachings putting up stumbling blocks in the paths of their lives. And wow, at the many different stories they come up with, & of course each one says, "But, I'm telling the truth, I'm not like those others that claim special revelations, special insight, special guidance by our Lord, what I proclaim is true."

What is 100% true is the fact that Jesus' coming could happen at any moment, & the message should be the same old story

I love to tell the story of unseen things above,
Of Jesus and His glory, of Jesus and His love.
I love to tell the story, because I know ’tis true;
It satisfies my longings as nothing else can do.
I love to tell the story, ’twill be my theme in glory,
To tell the old, old story of Jesus and His love.

The same old story that John the Baptist proclaimed being the front runner of our Lord Jesus, & the same message that Our Lord Jesus our precious Savior proclaimed from the beginning of His ministry.

Mt 4:17 From that time Jesus began to preach, and to say, Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.

I believe Linda stated, that is if my memory is correct, there is nothing that has to happen between now & Jesus coming back for His own, yet many still keeps looking for signs, & stating this & that which only confuses many making them even more suspicious of Bible teachings putting up stumbling blocks in the paths of their lives. And wow, at the many different stories they come up with, & of course each one says, "But, I'm telling the truth, I'm not like those others that claim special revelations, special insight, special guidance by our Lord, what I proclaim is true."

What is 100% true is the fact that Jesus' coming could happen at any moment, & the message should be the same old story

The same old story that John the Baptist proclaimed being the front runner of our Lord Jesus, & the same message that Our Lord Jesus our precious Savior proclaimed from the beginning of His ministry.

Mt 4:17 From that time Jesus began to preach, and to say, Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.

Jerry I will ask you what I asked John81
Isaiah 60:18–22 KJV
18 Violence shall no more be heard in thy land, wasting nor destruction within thy borders; but thou shalt call thy walls Salvation, and thy gates Praise.
19 The sun shall be no more thy light by day; neither for brightness shall the moon give light unto thee: but the Lord shall be unto thee an everlasting light, and thy God thy glory.

20 Thy sun shall no more go down; neither shall thy moon withdraw itself: for the Lord shall be thine everlasting light, and the days of thy mourning shall be ended.

21 Thy people also shall be all righteous: they shall inherit the land for ever, the branch of my planting, the work of my hands, that I may be glorified.
22 A little one shall become a thousand, and a small one a strong nation: I the Lord will hasten it in his time.

Jerry what do you believe is happening to the sun and moon in verses 19&20 ? Edited by Eric Stahl

The entire chapter of Isaiah 60 is speaking of Christ's Millennial Kingdom in Jerusalem. Here are some of the characteristics of the earthly Kingdom of Christ from Isaiah 60:

ISAIAH 60
a. The kingdom will be established following worldwide darkness (vv. 1-2).
b. It will be universal (v. 3).
c. Israel will be restored and will be at the center of the kingdom (vv. 4-12).
d. The wealth of the world will be brought to Israel (vv. 6-9).
e. The temple will be rebuilt and offerings reinstated (v. 7).
f. The nations of the world will serve Israel (vv. 10-12).
g. The land of Israel will be beautified (vv. 13-17).
h. Righteousness shall reign (v. 17).
i. Israel shall dwell in safety (v. 18).
j. The glory of God will lighten Israel (vv. 19-20).
k. The kingdom will be populated by the righteous (v. 21).

From Advanced Bible Study Series: Understanding Bible Prophecy, pg. 73 (Way of Life Literature, David W. Cloud)

The sun and moon (verses 19-20) shall give no more light because the glory of God will be the light.

Edited by LindaR

John81,

18 Violence shall no more be heard in thy land, wasting nor destruction within thy borders; but thou shalt call thy walls Salvation, and thy gates Praise.
19 The sun shall be no more thy light by day; neither for brightness shall the moon give light unto thee: but the Lord shall be unto thee an everlasting light, and thy God thy glory.

20 Thy sun shall no more go down; neither shall thy moon withdraw itself: for and the days of thy mourning shall be ended.

21 Thy people also shall be all righteous: they shall inherit the land for ever, the branch of my planting, the work of my hands, that I may be glorified.
22 A little one shall become a thousand, and a small one a strong nation: I the Lord will hasten it in his time.

John what do you believe is happening to the sun and moon in verses 19& 20 ?

The Lord shall be thine everlasting light,

Rev. 21:23 And the city had no need of the sun, neither of the moon, to shine in it: for the glory of God did lighten it, and the Lamb is the light thereof.

I know well that no sign being given between now & Jesus coming does not set well with many. But that is OK with me, the scribes & the Pharisees wanted a sign, & I feel sure they did not take kindly to the answer Jesus gave them. I think its quite clear what they wanted a sign, there's many of the same type around today, its big business & profits many with their special revelations, special knowledge, inspirations..

Mt 12:38 ¶ Then certain of the scribes and of the Pharisees answered, saying, Master, we would see a sign from thee.
Mt 12:39 But he answered and said unto them, An evil and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign; and there shall no sign be given to it, but the sign of the prophet Jonas:

I know well that no sign being given between now & Jesus coming does not set well with many. But that is OK with me, the scribes & the Pharisees wanted a sign, & I feel sure they did not take kindly to the answer Jesus gave them. I think its quite clear what they wanted a sign, there's many of the same type around today, its big business & profits many with their special revelations, special knowledge, inspirations..

Mt 12:38 ¶ Then certain of the scribes and of the Pharisees answered, saying, Master, we would see a sign from thee.
Mt 12:39 But he answered and said unto them, An evil and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign; and there shall no sign be given to it, but the sign of the prophet Jonas:

I agree with youi there, Jerry.

Matt. 24:44 Therefore be ye also ready: for in such an hour as ye think not the Son of man cometh.

To all,
You are so close to understanding. Yes Jesus will be the light in the New Jerusalem over Israel. He will shine through the streets and walls of purest gold clear as crystal. But the sun will not set and the moon won't withdraw and neither will give light to Israel which is below them!

20 Thy sun shall no more go down; neither shall thy moon withdraw itself: for and the days of thy mourning shall be ended.

Is it so hard to believe this describes a permanent solar eclipse?

Below them?

The New Jerusalem is the church, or bride of Christ. It descends to earth.

Rev. 21:2 And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.
3 And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God.

The point is this. The last days are described as being perilous times of uncertainty, wars, and rumors of wars. Regardless of your theological view you should be able to use that in your efforts of witness.

Yes, we can use the times we live in in our witnessing but to say these times are that much more perilous than many other times in history is a real stretch. Many folks thought they were living in the end times perils during the Black Death, Great Depression, World War II and many other times.

We must be careful not to force our contemporary lives and times into the Scripture. This has been a problem from before out time and will continue but we don't have to be a part of it.

Many folks don't believe in hell and have a warped view of heaven and a variety of ideas of how one goes to heaven, if they even believe in such. Often we have to start right there with our witnessing. If folks don't believe in hell, don't get that they are lost sinners, don't understand the real heaven, telling them the end of the world is near isn't a good place to begin.

Below them?

The New Jerusalem is the church, or bride of Christ. It descends to earth.

Rev. 21:2 And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.
3 And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God.

Revelation 21:1–2 KJV
1 And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea.
2 And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.

AFTER THE JUDGMENT of the great white throne, eternity starts and time no longer exists. John said at this time there will be no more sea. Notice in verse two that the New Jerusalem, which will be suspended above the hills of Israel through the kingdom age, will come down out of heaven. It could not come down if it had already come down for the kingdom age. I point this out because some people doubt that the New Jerusalem will be suspended over Israel between the earth and the moon during the kingdom age.
Revelation 21:3–8 KJV
4 And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.

John81,

20 Thy sun shall no more go down; neither shall thy moon withdraw itself: for the Lord shall be thine everlasting light, and the days of thy mourning shall be ended.

How does that say anything about America regardless of what one believes is going on with the sun and moon?

We need to always remember that our God is in control of everything, He is a miracle working God. God doesn't have to bring about a natural phenomonen in order see His will done. We see examples of this in Scripture involving the sun (see the stories of the sundial and the sun not setting). God can halt or move the sun and moon according to His will. God can also reign destruction down upon wicked man without the use of nations nuclear arsenals (see Sodom).

Amen!

If nothing has to happen, and folks believe it's been that way for 2,000 years, why do so many try to predict the time of his coming by saying that Israel becoming a nation again means it's near the end (that implies that Christ couldn't have returned before and thus eliminates the imminent return idea), or that nuclear weapons are necessary for prophecy to be fulfilled (again, this implies that the end times could not have occured at any time prior to after 1945).

We are told clearly that Christ will return. We are also told clearly to live with anticipation of His return, doing His will by spreading the Gospel and making disciples. We are also told the time of His coming will be known by none of us. He will come as a thief in the night, unexpectedly. It will be as in the days of Noah when folks were going about their business with no clue the end was upon them.

We need to be pursuing Christ with our whole hearts and doing what we can to be the salt and light we are commanded to be, doing our part to expand the Kingdom of God as we await His return.

To all,
You are so close to understanding. Yes Jesus will be the light in the New Jerusalem over Israel. He will shine through the streets and walls of purest gold clear as crystal. But the sun will not set and the moon won't withdraw and neither will give light to Israel which is below them!

Is it so hard to believe this describes a permanent solar eclipse?

Isaiah 24:23 KJV
23 Then the moon shall be confounded, and the sun ashamed, when the Lord of hosts shall reign in mount Zion, and in Jerusalem, and before his ancients gloriously.

How does that say anything about America regardless of what one believes is going on with the sun and moon?

We need to always remember that our God is in control of everything, He is a miracle working God. God doesn't have to bring about a natural phenomonen in order see His will done. We see examples of this in Scripture involving the sun (see the stories of the sundial and the sun not setting). God can halt or move the sun and moon according to His will. God can also reign destruction down upon wicked man without the use of nations nuclear arsenals (see Sodom).

To be fair, John, you didn't actually answer his question. I'm curious as to what you think is going in in that passage as well, if you don't mind.

To be fair, John, you didn't actually answer his question. I'm curious as to what you think is going in in that passage as well, if you don't mind.

I had asked him how he sees America in Scripture, he only repeated himself so I asked again and then he asks this question which seems to have nothing to do with what he and I were supposedly discussing.

The above verses could be referring to a few different things but I don't see it as a key to anything at this time and since it has no bearing upon whether or not America is mentioned in the end times prophecy, I see no need to try to dig into it at this time.

John81,

If the sun and moon stay above Israel in permanent solar eclipse, America will stay dark for the last part of the tribulation and the kingdom age.

Revelation 16:10 KJV
10 And the fifth angel poured out his vial upon the seat of the beast; and his kingdom was full of darkness; and they gnawed their tongues for pain,

Edited by Eric Stahl

The Way of Life Encyclopedia is an excellent resource. Here is the entire article on "Antichrist" written by Bro. David Cloud from that Encyclopedia:

Way of Life Encyclopedia
ANTICHRIST

A New Testament word used in two senses: 1 John 2:18 speaks both of present antichrists and a future Antichrist. (1) The term antichrist refers in general to Satan's working in the world whereby he resists the preaching of the gospel of Jesus Christ and particularly attacks the deity of Christ (1 John 2:18-29; 4:1-3; 2 John 1:7). This evil work is as old as the world, but began in a special way in the days of the Apostles and is carried on by false teachers energized by demonic powers (1 Timothy 4:1; 2 Timothy 3:7-8,13). (2) Antichrist also refers to the man who will arise in the world to make one final attempt to destroy Christ's work and people before Jesus returns from Heaven (Revelation 13).

The New Testament teaches that the evil workings in this world will grow increasingly perverse, culminating in the brief worldwide rule of the antichrist just prior to Christ's return. Compare 2 Timothy 3:13; Matthew 24:24; 2 Thessalonians 2:1-12; Revelation 13.

The prophet Daniel foretold of a "little horn" which would come into the world and do terrible things. Jesus said this "little horn" is yet future and will come during the tribulation period just prior to His coming (Matthew 24:15-29; Daniel 8:11; 9:27; 11:31; 12:1). The "little horn" in Daniel, the "man of sin" in 2 Thessalonians 2, and the "beast" in Revelation 13 refer to the same person.

BIBLE NAMES FOR THE ANTICHRIST: (1) Little horn (Daniel 7:8; 8:9). (2) King of fierce countenance (Daniel 8:23). (3) Prince that shall come (Daniel 9:26-27). (4) Man of sin (2 Thessalonians 2:3). (5) Son of perdition (2 Thessalonians 2:3). (6) That wicked (2 Thessalonians 2:8). (7) Antichrist (1 John 2:18).

THE NATIONALITY OF THE ANTICHRIST: Antichrist will arise out of and rule over the revived Roman empire. He is the prince of the people who destroyed Jerusalem after Christ's death (Daniel 9:26-27). This, of course, was Rome.

OLD TESTAMENT TYPES OF THE ANTICHRIST. The following is from H.L. Wilmington's Guide to the Bible: (1) Cain-by his murder of the chosen seed (Genesis 4:5-14; Jude 1:11; 1 John 3:12). (2) Nimrod-by his creation of Babylon and the tower of Babel (Genesis 10; 10:11). (3) Pharaoh-by his oppression of God's people (Exodus 1:8-22). (4) Korah-by his rebellion (Numbers 16:1-3; Jude 1:11). (5) Balaam-by his attempt to curse Israel (Numbers 23; 23:24; 2 Peter 2:15; Jude 1:11; Revelation 2:14). (6) Saul-by his intrusion into the office of the priesthood (1 Samuel 13:9-13). (7) Goliath-by his proud boasting (1 Samuel 17). (8) Absalom-by his attempt to steal the throne of David (2 Samuel 15:1-6). (9) Jeroboam-by his substitute religion (1 Kings 12:25-31). (10) Sennacherib-by his efforts to destroy Jerusalem (2 Kings 18:17). (11) Nebuchadnezzar-by his golden statue (Daniel 3:1-7). (12) Haman-by his plot to exterminate the Jews (Esther 3). (13) Antiochus Epiphanes-by his defilement of the temple (Daniel 11:21-35).

THE REIGN OF ANTICHRIST:

1. The time period of his rule-during the great tribulation just preceding Christ's return (Matthew 24:15-31).
2. The length of his rule-7 years altogether (Daniel 9:27), but he will be given 3.5 years (42 months) of complete power (Revelation 13:5).
3. The extent of his rule-all the world (Revelation 13:7; Daniel 7:23). He will rule all people, nations, religions (Revelation 13:14-15), and the entire world economy (Revelation 13:17).
4. The source of his power-Satan (2 Thessalonians 2:9; Revelation 13:4).
5. His rise to power-a. It involves a great miracle (Revelation 13:3-4). b. It involves a peace pact with Israel (Daniel 9:27). c. It involves the overthrow of other kings (Daniel 7:8,24).
6. The characteristics of his rule-a. He rules by miracles and deception (Revelation 13:11-15; 2 Thessalonians 2:9-12). b. He rules by terror, persecution (Revelation 13:15). c. He rules by force (Revelation 13:16-17).

THE MYSTERIOUS ORIGIN OF THE ANTICHRIST: The beast ascends out of the bottomless pit. He might be a demon (Revelation 11:7; 17:8). Antichrist will be Satan incarnate in some mysterious way, and yet he will also remain an independent personality who will be cast into the lake of fire with the false prophet 1,000 years before Satan meets the same doom (Revelation 19:20; 20:7-10).

THE CHARACTER OF THE ANTICHRIST: (1) He will be a blasphemer, a hater of God (Revelation 13:5-6). (2) He will be a murderer and a destroyer (Revelation 13:7,15; Daniel 7:23; 8:24). (3) He will be a liar and deceiver (2 Thessalonians 2:9-10). (4) He will have great intelligence (Daniel 8:23). (5) He will be exceedingly proud (Daniel 8:25). (6) He will have an impressive appearance (Daniel 7:20; 8:23). (7) He will exalt himself (Daniel 11:36-37). (8) He will worship military might (Daniel 11:38).

THE END OF THE ANTICHRIST: Antichrist will be overthrown at the coming of the Lord Jesus Christ and cast into the lake of fire to suffer eternal torment (2 Thessalonians 2:8; Revelation 19:19-21).

John81,

Isaiah 60:18–22 <acronym title='King James Version of the Bible'>KJV</acronym>

Ok, I'll bite. Isaiah is prophesy in poetry. That doesn't mean it isn't true, but it is artistic, so to speak. Hebrew poetry often uses parallelism. Verse 19 is basically saying that God will be the source of light in New Jerusalem instead of the sun and moon. Verse 20 employs parallelism to say the same thing, but with some additional information. In addition to saying that the Lord will replace the sun and moon as the source of light, verse 20 also states a reason why he is better than the sun and moon: unlike the sun and moon, the Lord doesn't "set" but his light lasts forever. That is why verse 20 says "thy sun" and "thy moon" instead of just "the sun" and "the moon". It just says this in a poetic way.

Ok, I'll bite. Isaiah is prophesy in poetry. That doesn't mean it isn't true, but it is artistic, so to speak. Hebrew poetry often uses parallelism. Verse 19 is basically saying that God will be the source of light in New Jerusalem instead of the sun and moon. Verse 20 employs parallelism to say the same thing, but with some additional information. In addition to saying that the Lord will replace the sun and moon as the source of light, verse 20 also states a reason why he is better than the sun and moon: unlike the sun and moon, the Lord doesn't "set" but his light lasts forever. That is why verse 20 says "thy sun" and "thy moon" instead of just "the sun" and "the moon". It just says this in a poetic way.

Are this passages poetic and not mean what they say also?

3 Take counsel, execute judgment; make thy shadow as the night in the midst of the noonday; hide the outcasts; bewray not him that wandereth.
4 Let mine outcasts dwell with thee, Moab; be thou a covert to them from the face of the spoiler: for the extortioner is at an end, the spoiler ceaseth, the oppressors are consumed out of the land.
5 And in mercy shall the throne be established: and he shall sit upon it in truth in the tabernacle of David, judging, and seeking judgment, and hasting righteousness.
—Isaiah 16:1–5 KJV

While the tribulation war rages, the part of Jordan that is populated with the people of Moab will be destroyed. The surviving people will move south

166 ␣ AMERICA’S LAST WARNING

to the river ford or river crossing place on the Arnon River. God tells the people of Moab to help the fleeing Jews and let them stay at the river Arnon. Now look at verse three. Christ, the Lamb, will give Israel a shadow at noonday before Armageddon. This is the shadow that will be formed
by a permanent solar eclipse over Israel.

14 Multitudes, multitudes in the valley of decision: for the day of the
Lord is near in the valley of decision.
15 The sun and the moon shall be darkened, and the stars shall withdraw their shining.
16 The Lord also shall roar out of Zion, and utter his voice from Jerusalem; and the heavens and the earth shall shake: but the Lord will be the hope of his people, and the strength of the children of Israel.
—Joel 3:14–16 KJV

Joel foresaw the sun and moon go dark before the battle of Armageddon starts. The stars also will stop shining over Israel because a solar eclipse causes a twilight condition. Twilight occurs because there is still enough light in the sky to prevent someone from seeing the stars. We now have a similar condition immediately after sunset.

2 And he said, Amos, what seest thou? And I said, A basket of summer fruit. Then said the Lord unto me, The end is come upon my people of Israel; I will not again pass by them any more.
3 And the songs of the temple shall be howlings in that day, saith the Lord God: there shall be many dead bodies in every place; they shall cast them forth with silence.
8 Shall not the land tremble for this, and every one mourn that dwelleth therein? and it shall rise up wholly as a flood; and it shall be cast out and drowned, as by the flood of Egypt.
9 And it shall come to pass in that day, saith the Lord God, that I will cause the sun to go down at noon, and I will darken the earth in the clear day: —Amos 8:2–3, 8–9 KJV

When the end comes for Israel, God will cause the sun to darken on a clear day. The darkness is not caused by clouds. Notice that it is noonday, so the sun is directly over Israel at that time. Edited by Eric Stahl

[9] Behold, the day of the LORD cometh, cruel both with wrath and fierce anger, to lay the land desolate: and he shall destroy the sinners thereof out of it.
[10] For the stars of heaven and the constellations thereof shall not give their light: the sun shall be darkened in his going forth, and the moon shall not cause her light to shine.
[11] And I will punish the world for their evil, and the wicked for their iniquity; and I will cause the arrogancy of the proud to cease, and will lay low the haughtiness of the terrible.

No offense Eric, but I think I'll continue to frolic in my ignorance...

emoticon-tv-026.gif

Is this what you mean?

3 Knowing this first, that there shall come in the last days scoffers, walking after their own lusts,
4 And saying, Where is the promise of his coming? for since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of the creation.
␣9␣
10 ␣ AMERICA’S LAST WARNING

5 For this they willingly are ignorant of, that by the word of God

Is this what you mean?

3 Knowing this first, that there shall come in the last days scoffers, walking after their own lusts,
4 And saying, Where is the promise of his coming? for since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of the creation.
␣9␣
10 ␣ AMERICA’S LAST WARNING

5 For this they willingly are ignorant of, that by the word of God

Eric,

Jude 1:2
Mercy unto you, and peace, and love, be multiplied.