• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Help: Trojan ??????

• Members

This afternoon I got Trojan:Win32FakeSysdef.

Microsoft Security Essentials quarantined it.

I also ran AdWare, it to says it quarantined it

When it hit it seems to have hid most everything on C Drive. Plus I have a black screen, no icons. When I click on start them all programs it says its empty.

If I open "My Documents," it shows nothing

I update Microsoft Security Essentials and ran it again, nothing shows up.

I also update AdWare, ran it again nothing shows up.

Yet C Drive is still hid from me. I did get my chrome browser open and I'm using it to make this post and I can get online.

Presently I am running Microsoft Malicious Software Removal tool.

I understand this Trojan changes something that hides these folder from you them try to extort money from you in order for you to get your computer back working properly.

Has any of you been though this, and knows how to get things back to normal?

• Members

John, It sure did a job on my computer. I finally went to Microsoft Support help, its here. We started at 9:36 PM, finished after 1:00 PM. Robert was the one that helped me and he seemed very good at this.

That Trojan hid my C Drive from me, made my screen go black, it was a mess, I could not find anything on C Drive. My computer don't seem to be working as good as it did, yet I figure it will take a while to get it back in good order.

That is the worst trouble I have ever had, and the 1st time I have had such a problem in at least 4 years.

• Members

My computer is working pretty good, but I do have some stuff thats missing.

For instants, when I go to start, them all programs, the Mozilla Firefox icon says empty, if you click on it, nothing happens.

I can open 'My Documents,' Click on 'Folders' up at the top, go to the side panel where it shows them. Click on 'C Drive,' click on 'Program Flies,' and my Mozilla Firefox folder is there and all appears OK.

I've got several more like that, including 'Quick Verse' Bible program, "Microsoft Office,' 'QuickTime,' 'PC Helps & Tools,' & a few others

I suppose there should be a way to link the shortcut icons so that it would open that folder.

My SwordSearcher was like that, I just used the disc installing it over what was there now it works OK.

• Members

Wow, where did you get it?

You may have to back up your files, then wipe your computer clean and start over. I've gotten a virus or two in the past, and that was the only way to get everything working right again. Its SO not fun.

• Members

I had this trojan a few months ago. I tried everything including Malwarebyte's Antimalware program. I finally just restored my hard drive from a disc image backup.

My drive C only has Windows, installed programs, documents, and emails. Everything else is on the other drives. Over the last 4 years I have made disc image backups of drive C and updated them about every 3 months. I had just updated my backup about a week before I got hit with this trojan. The only thing I lost was a few emails. Having a disc image backup was really a life saver.

By the way, I use Seagate DiscWizard to backup my hard drive. The program is a free download and can be used with any brand hard drive. I also have Easeus Todo Backup but I like DiscWizard better.

• Members

So far my computer is working very good, I have not had to use nothing that is missing. Yet I feel that moment is around the corner.

I too have the extra hard drive, and most stuff I keep on it, and the pictures that I have on C drive I can easily move over to D drive if I need to.

I have thought about using the nondestructive recovery, if that don't work I can just reformat the computer. I'm going to wait a bit to see how it goes.

At the time I left the Microsoft helper, Robert, I did not know all that stuff was missing.

• Members

Long, long story. I tried to use my recovery that is built in them since they stopped sending you recover disc, but it was zapped too. I kept thinking what can I do to get all that stuff back. I tried booting them hitting F10 for recovery, but it would not let me do nothing but let my computer finishing booting and coming back on. Finally it dawned on me that I made some disc when I first got this computer for that purpose. One of them is called boot and recover, I stuck it in and my computer started to boot, and it gave me the option to reformat my computer, so I did. After doing this I tried to get come antivirus protection, but none of the will operate on the way my computer came configured back in 2004, so I had to run several windows updates before I could have virus protection. It has took me off & on all day to finally get to where I'm now at. And I still have a ways to go before I will have everything in place, with my programs all installed. Hope none of you ever get thing, it makes a big mess. I might add, the fellow with Microsoft named Robert, oh he is from Texas, that helped me Friday night that I spoke of in a previous post saved the day for me. If not for him my sermons for Sundays morning, Sunday night would have been gone, along with our church bulletin. Them Friday night and Saturday I would have had to redo all of them from scratch!