• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Unity of Believers

• Members

When I was first thinking of this it was with regards to different Baptists but as I thought more on the subject it could also apply to others who are Believers as well.

Some Baptists have been attempting to get various area Baptist churches to join together for some larger projects along the lines of evangelism and other things. This is what prompted my thinking about this.

One of the things stated was the need to seek unity. It was put forth that unity doesn't mean we all have to hold to the exact same beliefs. In having unity for the cause of Christ we should overcome minor differnces and focus upon the major agreements shared.

There was also mention of the fact Jesus called Believers to love one another, to be one as Christ and the Father are one, etc.

In light of all that, my questions are:

What "minor differences" should we be willing to work around?

What "major agreements" must we share to even consider uniting?

Is anything like this going on in your area?

• Members

The unspoken suggestion is sometimes that independent churches should thereby cease to be independent, for the sake of supposed unity.

As I see it, true unity is a spiritual thing which is already there; it isn't 'achieved' by going against one's Scriptural convictions.

We should stick to our evangelistic activities at our local level, I think. There is plenty of Scriptural precedent for it. The Acts is full of local Christians and churches evangelizing.

• Members

The unspoken suggestion is sometimes that independent churches should thereby cease to be independent, for the sake of supposed unity.

As I see it, true unity is a spiritual thing which is already there; it isn't 'achieved' by going against one's Scriptural convictions.

We should stick to our evangelistic activities at our local level, I think. There is plenty of Scriptural precedent for it. The Acts is full of local Christians and churches evangelizing.

While I didn't articulate it clearly, I am referring to local churches in the area (I live in a very rural area). I'm not talking about churches across the country joining together for something.

One of the things some local Baptists have in mind is putting on a major evangelistic outreach and they are asking other local Baptist churches to join together in this. That is what prompted my original post.

• Members

John81:

I see; well I don't claim a knowledge of your area.

So maybe I can only stick to generalities.

I certainly think in theory God can bless the Word preached by Billy or Franklin Graham, or anyone else; the Holy Spirit is not bound by the identity of vocal chords.

But seeing as some speakers (I don't want to get into individuals further, now) actually believe and practise some things that are different from what the local Christians that I meet with believe and practise, then asking them to come and lead us in some activities which we might sponsor wouldn't make a lot of sense — either for us or for them.

In the end preaching and evangelism is manward proclamation, but it's also — and even primarily — a Godward spiritual exercise.

This is how I see it, anyway, in general terms.

Edited by farouk

• Members

In the West Middlesex area our fraternal includes FIEC, Congregational, Free Church of England & Grace Baptist Churches. RCs & ecumenical churches are excluded - Baptist, Anglican, Methodist,

Cooperation includes:
Pulpit exchange;
Special meetings;
Support for street & 'book table' outreach;
Financial support;
Prayer;
400 year AV commemorations & other historic events.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Scripture exhorts us to have unity within our local Church - not unity between churches. Many "churches" are far from the N.T. pattern. A Biblical N.T. church should avoid all alliances with them. Unity within the local assembly is based on and maintained by love, doctrineal purity (truth) , moral purity, bridling the tongue, integrity, in honor prefering one another, by kindness, by patience, by prayer for one another, by forgiving one another, and by cooperation with leadership. "endeavoring to keep the unity of the spirit in the bond of peace" Eph 4:3. None of us is perfect. That's why we need to confess our offenses to one another within the local church that we may be healed of festering emotional wounds.

However, we are also exhorted to separate from professing believers who openly live immoral lives or teach false doctrine, and refuse to repent of it. There is a sinful and unscriptural "unity". Jesus Himself said He did not come to bring peace on the earth, but... See Matt. 10:44. Two cannot walk together unless they are agreed. How can light have fellowship with darkness? (II Cor 6:14) John said "if we walk in the light as He is in the light we have fellowship one with another..." (I Jn 1:7 ) But on the other hand, It is impossible for a spiritual person (one who obeys the scriptures and walks humbly with Christ ) to have fellowship with one who willfully and knowingly lives contrary to the truth of scripture.

But, we are not to be Pharisees. We must first judge ourselves that we be not judged (I Cor 11:31) ( Matt 7:5 ) When we fail to judge ourselves, we may be chastened of the Lord ( "for whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth..." Heb 12:6 ). We need wisdom to know how to practice Biblical separation in a manner that pleases the Lord.

I must confess that I need daily wisdom in this matter. By nature, I am accommodating, diplomatic, and do not want to offend anyone. I find it easy to remain mute in the face of evil. Your prayers would be appreciated. Hope these thoughts are helpful.

• Members

Scripture exhorts us to have unity within our local Church - not unity between churches. Many "churches" are far from the N.T. pattern. A Biblical N.T. church should avoid all alliances with them. Unity within the local assembly is based on and maintained by love, doctrineal purity (truth) , moral purity, bridling the tongue, integrity, in honor prefering one another, by kindness, by patience, by prayer for one another, by forgiving one another, and by cooperation with leadership. "endeavoring to keep the unity of the spirit in the bond of peace" Eph 4:3. None of us is perfect. That's why we need to confess our offenses to one another within the local church that we may be healed of festering emotional wounds.

However, we are also exhorted to separate from professing believers who openly live immoral lives or teach false doctrine, and refuse to repent of it. There is a sinful and unscriptural "unity". Jesus Himself said He did not come to bring peace on the earth, but... See Matt. 10:44. Two cannot walk together unless they are agreed. How can light have fellowship with darkness? (II Cor 6:14) John said "if we walk in the light as He is in the light we have fellowship one with another..." (I Jn 1:7 ) But on the other hand, It is impossible for a spiritual person (one who obeys the scriptures and walks humbly with Christ ) to have fellowship with one who willfully and knowingly lives contrary to the truth of scripture.

But, we are not to be Pharisees. We must first judge ourselves that we be not judged (I Cor 11:31) ( Matt 7:5 ) When we fail to judge ourselves, we may be chastened of the Lord ( "for whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth..." Heb 12:6 ). We need wisdom to know how to practice Biblical separation in a manner that pleases the Lord.

I must confess that I need daily wisdom in this matter. By nature, I am accommodating, diplomatic, and do not want to offend anyone. I find it easy to remain mute in the face of evil. Your prayers would be appreciated. Hope these thoughts are helpful.

Excellent post!

This is an area often neglected. Rather than tackle the main point, unity within the local church, far too many want to force unity among many different churches. In doing this, true biblical unity in the local church is most often neglected and true biblical unity is not forged by yoking with churches that don't hold to sound doctrine.

Absolutely good point with regards to judging ourselves. Scripture commands that we examine ourselves and correct ourselves so the as to be right with God and avoid Him having to chastise us.

We all have faults we have to deal with and for this reason God tells us to lean upon one another, bearing one anothers burdens, praying for one another, building one another up.

Praying for you in the matter mentioned and I would appreciate prayer that I would always be mindful to examine myself that I may walk in accord with His Word.

• Members

I divide differences into two categories: 1) essential truths that form the foundation for Christianity, and 2) non-essential items that people can reasonably differn in opinion on, and can interperet Scripture in different ways.

Essentials include: the death, burial and ressurection of Christ; and that fact that Chrsit was God incarnate. I'm sure there are a few others as well.
Non-essentials include: the mode and order of the worship services, the mode of baptism, drinking in moderation vs. abstention, etc.

Churches that agree on the essentials can come together and accomplish amazing things. For example, in my area, about 8 churches have formed a medical clinic to provide medical care to the poor. One church alone could not accomplish that, but all churches saw a need and came together to join a portion of their resources to meet that need, and to do so in a way where the gospel of Christ could be shared along with the medical care.

I also see it as very important for individuals to get involved in the community and to be active with non-believers in various community building organizations. These are not faith organizations, but brings us togethers as members of the same city, etc. Christians should be good citizens, and what better way to get to know our neighbors than to join in the work of a good civic organization?

• Moderators

The problem with inter-organizational associations that ignore some of the 'non-essentials' you mentioned (sorry, I disagree with some of the ones listed 'non-essential' here), is that such associations can ultimately influence an individual church's stance on the truth. What I mean is, if we say a certain doctrine is true (or conversely, is false), and our children see us ignoring that doctrine in the name of 'Christian service', we have just taught our children that we really don't think such-and-such a doctrine is really that important. Our children will then likely reject our stance/belief -- and our children are (Lord willing) the next generation of our churches.

One has to be careful when defining 'non-essentials' as well. For instance, using the examples given here, if the difference between two churches mode of service is merely that one practices verbal congregational Bible reading, or prays at a certain time, while the other doesn't - well, that's preference, right? (Unless there is some doctrinal connection to why they do a certain thing.) However, if one church allows women to preach/lead the congregation - that's a doctrinally-based practice. Some churches allow women to give public testimonies or prayer requests during the service - some think they must be quiet. This difference is doctrinally-based - it's important!

The difference in modes of baptism can have an influence on one's soteriology. Many churches that practice infant baptism do so because they believe it confers some kind of grace on the infant - thus ensuring them a place in heaven if they die. Such a difference is based on different interpretations/understandings of the gospel of salvation itself - certainly not a non-essential.

I think that when we examine the Biblical reasons behind many of the doctrinal stances often considered non-essential, we will find that they are not as unessential as many consider them to be.

• Members

Joh 4:23 But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him.
Joh 4:24 God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.

It would seem to Jesus that all truths are essential, the verse does not say essential truths. And when you compromise on what some call none essential truths, what other truths will you compromise on.

• Members

I have a problem with saying "all truth is essential." Why is that? There are essential truths upon which CHristianity is built. However, there are many issues that are a matter of biblical interpretation. Reasonable people reading the same Bible prayerfully can come to different conclusions about what a passage means. so

For example, some would argue, reading the same Bible, that the gift of tongues is an ancient gift that is no longer practiced today. Others, can reasonably say that the Spirit does still give that gift today, and when it is given, it is to be used only when there is one with the gift of interpretation.

Sometimes, we can insist so much that if one does not agree with me over 100% of my interpretation of the Bible, then we should part ways. I strongly disagree with this.

Jesus said there are two greatest commandments, To love the Lord your God with all of your heart, soul and mind, and to love your neighbor as yourself. I fail to see how if there is a need in our community, how it is wrong to join with other churches to meet that need when one church alone could not meet it. That is living out the two greates commands. Yes, the churches may have differences, but we are united in Christ. In Christ, we are carrying out his command to love our neighbor. We are carrying out commands to take care of widows and orphans (another ministry across church lines takes in battered women and children and provides a home or them).

Yes, we are to do that on an individual level, but I believe there are times when churches should combine some of their resources to accomplish a goal that is larger than any one church. Children do not see that as approving of doctrinal differences, they see that as faith in action.

If church was about agreeing all the time, even when reasonable minds could differ, then I would be a one-man church.

Combining resources to accomplish a goal that people believe God wants them to accomplish is not compromising on what you believe is true. My church has never altered its stance or the way we do church based upon partnering with other churches for missions or community service.

Edited by kindofblue1977

• Members

No surprise you have a problem with holding to the truths of Scripture as this comes up in most topics. If we don't abide in the truth that means we are following a lie.

The things you call "non-essential" (something Scripture doesn't teach) are not that at all. Scripture is clear with regard to these matters, as well as to the importance of not yoking together with unbelievers and of separating from them who don't abide in the truth.

Examples from Scripture show clearly that we are to obey God and trust Him with the results. We are never to join together with those Scripture tells us to separate from, in order to accomplish what we think is good; which God calls something else.

A church rightly following God can accomplish more for the kingdom than can a church wrongly uniting with those they should not, regardless of how such appears to the flesh.

Israel was warned not to join with pagans, Christians were warned not to yoke with unbelievers and to separate from those unwilling to abide by the Word.

We can do all things through Christ, not through joining forces with those we should separate from.

God doesn't measure "good works" as men do. One could look at all the "good" the Catholic church does, or Mormons, or even some Muslims, yet joining with them or believing those "good works" have any eternal value is unbiblical.

• Members

I have a problem with saying "all truth is essential." Why is that? There are essential truths upon which CHristianity is built. However, there are many issues that are a matter of biblical interpretation. Reasonable people reading the same Bible prayerfully can come to different conclusions about what a passage means. so

For example, some would argue, reading the same Bible, that the gift of tongues is an ancient gift that is no longer practiced today. Others, can reasonably say that the Spirit does still give that gift today, and when it is given, it is to be used only when there is one with the gift of interpretation.

Sometimes, we can insist so much that if one does not agree with me over 100% of my interpretation of the Bible, then we should part ways. I strongly disagree with this.

Jesus said there are two greatest commandments, To love the Lord your God with all of your heart, soul and mind, and to love your neighbor as yourself. I fail to see how if there is a need in our community, how it is wrong to join with other churches to meet that need when one church alone could not meet it. That is living out the two greates commands. Yes, the churches may have differences, but we are united in Christ. In Christ, we are carrying out his command to love our neighbor. We are carrying out commands to take care of widows and orphans (another ministry across church lines takes in battered women and children and provides a home or them).

Yes, we are to do that on an individual level, but I believe there are times when churches should combine some of their resources to accomplish a goal that is larger than any one church. Children do not see that as approving of doctrinal differences, they see that as faith in action.

If church was about agreeing all the time, even when reasonable minds could differ, then I would be a one-man church.

Combining resources to accomplish a goal that people believe God wants them to accomplish is not compromising on what you believe is true. My church has never altered its stance or the way we do church based upon partnering with other churches for missions or community service.

So you have a problem with all truths, that can only mean that you accept some lies. All I can do for you is point you back to the Holy Scriptures I posted. It would seem to me that your having trouble with all truths means you have a conflict with God.

• Members

So you have a problem with all truths, that can only mean that you accept some lies. All I can do for you is point you back to the Holy Scriptures I posted. It would seem to me that your having trouble with all truths means you have a conflict with God.

You completely misunderstand what I am saying.

There are certain things that one must hold to to be a Christian. There are other things that are not clear in Scripture and where two minds can differ. I have no problem with God or the BIble. I have a problem with people saying that if I do not agree with their interpretation of Scripture 100% of the time, then that makes me wrong.

There is a great saying that goes, "In essentials, unity, in non-essentials, liberty, and in all things, love."

There are obviously items one must hold to be be a Christian. Without those items, you do not have Christianity. That is whey over the centuries, different churches used creeds, to define what is the essence of the Christian faith. I love the Nicene Creed, as it seems to provide a nice summary of the core beliefs that are non-negotiable and non-debatable to be classified as Christian

"I believe in one God, the Father Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth, and of all things visible and invisible.

And in one Lord Jesus Christ, the only-beg
ot
ten Son of God, beg
ot
ten of the Father before all worlds; God of God, Light of Light, true God of true God; beg
ot
ten, n
ot
made, being of one substance with the Father, by whom all things were made.

Who, for us men and for our salvation, came down from heaven, and was incarnate by the Holy Spirit of the virgin Mary, and was made man; and was crucified also for us under Po
nt
ius Pilate; He suffered and was buried; and the third day He rose again, according to the Scriptures; and ascended i
nt
o heaven, and sits on the right hand of the Father; and He shall come again, with glory, to judge the living and the dead; whose kingdom shall have no end.

And I believe in the Holy Spirit, the Lord and Giver of Life; who proceeds from the Father and the Son; who with the Father and the Son together is worshipped and glorified; who spoke by the prophets.

And I believe in one holy catholic [as in the universial church, n
ot
the Catholic denominatino] and apostolic Church. I acknowledge one baptism for the remission of sins; and I look for the resurrection of the dead, and the life of the world to come. Amen.

Beyond the core items, there are many things that are not clear in Scripture, that people have disagreed on for centuries. Does that make one right and one wrong, if the item being debated is non-essential, and both positions are supportable by solid Scripture interpretation? No! In non-essentials, liberty. But in all things love.

We are to love got and love our neighbor. We are to especially live in unity and love with our Christian brothers and sisters. If there is something we disagree on, that is fine and good. We have liberty to follow what we believe in that area as we do so prayerfully with guidance from the Holy Spirit. But dividing unity and treating others without love and understanding is certainly not right over matters that are not core to the faith. We can disagree and have different churches and different denominations, but we should treat one another with love and we should have a unity in our faith in Christ.

Where we should call out someone else is if they begin denying the things that are core to the Christian faith, because then what you have is no longer the Christian faith, but something else. For example, there are some in the church today who deny the deity of Christ. That is a core, fundamental Christian truth. They should be called out and the heresy should be pointed out. However, other things are non-essential: using wine or grape juice in communion, is speaking in tongues still a gift in use today (I see nowhere in the Scripture that says this gift is no longer given, but many here would go to great lengths to say it is no longer a gift....that is an area of liberty provided that tongues is used in accordance with what the Scripture says about it), and I could go on and on to many different things that people view differently. However, despite these differences, the core is the same.