• Welcome to Online Baptist

Free to join.

brosmith

[Movie] Courageous (the newest movie from Sherwood Baptist Church)

I watched it on Friday with about 12 other men from my church.

It's a very powerful movie, the best one this church had done so far. The message is loud and clear: fathers need to take the roles of responsibility and spiritual leadership in their homes. It hits this from every angle you can think of, from the already good Christian father who realizes that 'good enough isn't good enough' to the guy who abandoned his pregnant girlfriend at 18 and needs to take responsibility for his little girl.

The Christian men in this film are all masculine men. They're cops, they're husbands and fathers, and they have real lives and problems from one end of the spectrum to the other. I appreciate this because Hollywood portrays Christians as wimps. In this movie, they are not.

The only thing I didn't like in the Fireproof movie was the abundance of CCM. If there's any in this movie, I didn't really notice it.

The PG-13 rating is there because some parts of the movie are very intense and deeply emotional. My little Kiera (5 years old) watched a movie in which a horse died and she cried about it for days. Some things kids just can't handle emotionally - that is the reason for the rating here. There is certainly no profanity or indecently dressed women in the movie. There are a couple of very intense action scenes with cops fighting bad guys. They are very well done, but there's no gore or anything gratuitous. The action scenes will grab your heart and hold onto it, because anything could happen and anyone could die in them. This movie is clean, but it is very realistic.

There is a clear cut call to action on the part of fathers, and if you are a father you will not finish the movie without being emotionally impacted and spiritually motivated. A pastor could play this movie in his church and hold an altar call right after it without really having to say anything. If I would have watched this movie in church I would have gone down to the altar to pray during the end credits.

Thanks for the review! My husband and I still want to see this movie. We have watched all of them up to this one. The movie theaters are expensive here though, so we might just have to wait until it comes out on DVD. This way we can own it for the price we would be paying for two tickets. My mom told me that the men at their church want to start a men's Bible study now because of this movie. This is something my dad could not get the men to do before.

Thanks for the review! My husband and I still want to see this movie. We have watched all of them up to this one. The movie theaters are expensive here though, so we might just have to wait until it comes out on DVD. This way we can own it for the price we would be paying for two tickets. My mom told me that the men at their church want to start a men's Bible study now because of this movie. This is something my dad could not get the men to do before.

I pray those men will start and be faithful to a men's Bible study and the Lord would use this in building His kingdom.

I thinking I'll get them both when the other comes out on DVD.

Bro. Rick and Bro. Smith I'm not siding with either of you...I just want something which permit my "eyes look right on." Proverbs 4:25

My wife and I watched the movie early this morning and we both thoroughly enjoyed it.

The MPAA more than likely rated it PG-13 because of the violence. (police/drug dealer shootout, gang initiation by beat-down)

The movie was clean, and sends out a powerful message. I only wish there was more Scripture used.

My wife and I watched the movie early this morning and we both thoroughly enjoyed it.

The MPAA more than likely rated it PG-13 because of the violence. (police/drug dealer shootout, gang initiation by beat-down)

The movie was clean, and sends out a powerful message. I only wish there was more Scripture used.

We finally saw the movie on DVD this week. Odd they gave the movie a PG-13 rating when the "violence" was so tame and clean. Many shows on television are much more violent, and include gore, so it seems odd they thought it necessary to give this movie a PG-13 rating.

It would always be good to see more Scripture in a movie, but I was actually surprised by how much was in this movie, their open talk of reliance upon God, their use of prayer and such, since I had heard some who saw the movie in the theater say there was hardly any at all.

I also didn't think the movie was as action oriented as some made it sound. The action sequences were good, but there wasn't continual action. The story line was well put together and the story dominated the movie, not action.

Brosmith, I agree with the others your misinterpreting the movie left and right, they were showing to fathers what it would be like if they were not going to be there for their children, I have a brother in law that needs to see this because he is doing things to avoid being a father and not providing for the kid and the kid is growing up knowing his father don't care, the other brother in law likes to get drunk and in front of his children. They both need to see this movie but they are busy watching immoral movies, its not like the movie is terminator or police academy or Vacation movies or ETC its a Christian and family movie, there is a powerful message in the movie and I am not a father , well I can't but I am female but I'll be a mother someday, I was really in tears after the movie because, it made me appericate my own father more then ever. In the end a Christian movie that has mild violence is showing the real world and how to improve your world around you.
As for the music in these films that sherwood baptist church has as CCM they are picked for a reason to make a person think , to make a person change their life, I do like some of the songs they use but at the same time its just a movie its not like they are using it for a church service.

We watched the movie yesterday as well. I think that what stand out to us during the whole movie is the fact a child can be taking from you in a minute, which causes you to question what you did wrong. The other part is that even when it seems that God isnt answering prayers he answers them in another form.

I especially like the part when the guy was asking God how can he provide for his family, if he keeps losing or getting turned down for a job. How many times have we all asked that question when dealing with some kind of trial. I remember a few years back a man ran a stoplight and hit my husband in his diesil truck near the fuel tanks he was spared then a month later a metal handle broke off the same truck and hit hubby in the head. We were both asking why and how we could take care of our daughter. But the same year I got pregnant with our son after trying for 6 years. So God ways are not our own ways.

I liked the part in the movie where one man tells another that he's a "good enough" father, and man responds that he doesn't want to be just a "good enough" father.

How many fathers do just enough to feel good about themselves, or do just a certain amount they think they must to fulfill their duty and no more? Some father think their parenting is done by bringing home a paycheck, maybe watching a sports game on TV with their child, or giving the child correction once in awhile.

It takes so very much more to be a proper, biblical father.

Not that I'm perfect by any means, but one thing I do each year to help keep me focused in this area is to read at least one (usually more) book on biblical fatherhood each year, as well as one (usually more) book on being a biblical husband; as well as study the verses in Scripture applying to these areas.

Well...my favorite part was the "Snake King" in the back of the police car...when he was scaring the gang member.

I thought it was a good movie.

One thing I've noticed...

As their movie production gets better, the spirituality of the movies "seems" to be lessening. Don't get me wrong...the message of the movie was clear and Bible based, but the movie as a whole seemed more entertaining than spiritual...but that's just my opinion. I'd still recommend that anyone see it.

Edited by No Nicolaitans

Well...my favorite part was the "Snake King" in the back of the police car...when he was scaring the gang member.

As their movie production gets better, the spirituality of the movies "seems" to be lessening. Don't get me wrong...the message of the movie was clear and Bible based, but the movie as a whole seemed more entertaining than spiritual...but that's just my opinion. I'd still recommend that anyone see it.

As for funny moments, the Snake King and the scene where the two go back and forth as to his name are outstanding.

While the movie was clearly Christian, there seemed to be more implied aspects of Christianity than as much outright, such as with Bible reading and prayer.

I noticed that it had a great message of keeping your family with God, if they didn't do the funny parts the whole movie would bore the lost and they will not go and see it or see the movie again, they need to do something keep it going. The ending is very powerful when he asked at the head of the church for the men of courage to stand up and arise, that got me crying because i know a few fathers that wants to teach their children worldliness and not of God.

It's a blessing to hear that there are that many people in our country that want to see it. I hope it is impactful.

Agreed!

I bought a young couple a DVD of Facing the Giants a couple years ago. The young wife claims to be a Christian and her and her husband both love football. Unfortunately, that spring when they were having a yard sale I noticed they had that DVD out for sale. Someone did buy it (I figured someone would as cheap as they were selling it) so it still may be a blessing to others.

I watched this film last night after evening services. My son, his fiancee, and my wife all watched this together. We all had many moments of self reflection with respect to God's word. Reflection isn't the result of an abundance of scriptures quoted but obvious Christian values and character shown required in and lacking in Christians.

It is an on target movie, if you are sensitive to God's Word or His Holy Spirit you will see areas in yourself where God isn't finished with you. "God isn't finished with you," isn't that a great comfort?

The point driven home...Joshua 24:13.

I saw the movie when I was in WA after my Dad died. My brother brought it up and he, my Mom, and I watched it together. It was hard to watch due to our grief, but it was good, too. The time watching it was kind of an homage to our Dad. Then, after I got home, my hubby and I checked it out of the library (yes! the public library has it and Fireproof, and a few more good movies!) and watched it. It was just as good the second time. And I laughed at the "I love you" to the sheriff, the Javier go-round, the Snake Man (that was SO funny!). My hubby enjoyed it, too. When the man tried to stop the car thief, my hubby said, "just let the car go..." He was amazed when he saw the baby - and the idea that the dad would've given his life to rescue his child was so well presented.

We also got a lot out of it. Our son is grown up now. But it caused my husband to reflect on his rearing of our son.

I think the movie is good for that. The attitude towards the main father that was shown by the son was actually typical - and was well portrayed. The boy was hurting - first about the lack of attention from his dad, and then about the loss of his sister. And dad didn't see it. I think it was well presented, and hopefully some dads that see it will realize that their sons need their time.

One of the things that we really liked was the different types of dads that were represented. Their different personalities, and their different reactions to things. We liked that the single dad decided to step up and become responsible - that's what God does for us; He changes our outlook. We liked that the main dad saw his error and took care of it. We were saddened by the dad who chose to do wrong.

It was a well-rounded movie, and one which I think could be a real tool to lead into discussion of the best way to be a good father (salvation being of primo importance).