• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Discussion Topic - Tattoos?

• Members

Lucas has just become a Christian. He wants to get a tattoo to remember the date. He decides to ask a Christian coworker if he should, as he had heard some considered tattoos wrong. What should he say to him? What would you say to him?
God bless,
Joel ><>.
2 Chronicles 7:14; Romans 5:8.

Edited by Crushmaster

• Members

Scripture says we are not to cut or mark our bodies.

Tattoos have always been a sign of rebellion and even the woman who gets the little butterfly tattoo on her ankle is viewed as having taken at least a small step of rebellion. In surveys about such things it has been found that guys consider a woman with a tattoo, any tattoo of any size, to be "easier" than women who don't have tattoos.

Our bodies (Christians) are temples of the Holy Ghost and placing grafitti upon the temple isn't the right thing to do.

Tattoos are not viewed as Christian, they have always been associated with the outlaw, the rebel, whether along the lines of pirates, outlaw bikers, gang members or "tough guys". Tattoos give an appearance of evil. Guys with tattoos are rated as being "wild, rebellious, untamed". Not descriptives a Christian should carry.

If a person wants to remember the day he became a Christian he should use his memory or write the date in his Bible; not use it as an occasion to mar and deface the temple of the Holy Ghost.

• Administrators

Under the law, people weren't to mark their bodies. We are no longer under the law, but God's principles remain the same. The principle under the law was separation. The markings and cuttings that were done in OT times had to do with religious practice - that practice being paganism.

Today, we are commanded in the NT to be separate from the world. That means the philosophies of the world that contribute to the practices of the lost in the world. Tattoos would fall in that category, IMO.

We are told as Christians that our bodies are the temple of the living God. And that we are to take care of said bodies. Tattoos run the risk of infection (my former BIL got hepatitis from a tat...just one is all it took), which is not taking care of the body.

Tattoos are not wise. Many people have them, even in Christian circles now. Not just folks who got them when they were lost, but folks who get them after salvation (like the young man in the OP). But a new Christian needs to understand that Christians don't need to come under the power of the culture. We are new creatures when we are saved, and don't need to follow the philosophies and actions of those who do not love our Lord.

Here's the O.T. ref...

Leviticus 19:28 Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the LORD.

Same as the others, O.T. not lawful, N.T. we have liberty but, as others have said God didn't approve then and He doesn't change.

• Members

Here's the O.T. ref...

Leviticus 19:28 Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the LORD.

Same as the others, O.T. not lawful, N.T. we have liberty but, as others have said God didn't approve then and He doesn't change.

He doesn't change but that does not mean that he does not change what he expects. For example, under the OT the Jews were not permitted to eat certain meats but today we are taught that that does not matter any longer.

I am not saying that it is ok for nor encouraging anyone to get a tatoo. I can't say that I have studied the issue enough to express a view.

He doesn't change but that does not mean that he does not change what he expects. For example, under the OT the Jews were not permitted to eat certain meats but today we are taught that that does not matter any longer.

I am not saying that it is ok for nor encouraging anyone to get a tatoo. I can't say that I have studied the issue enough to express a view.

He does not change.

• Members

He doesn't change but that does not mean that he does not change what he expects. For example, under the OT the Jews were not permitted to eat certain meats but today we are taught that that does not matter any longer. I am not sure that is what it teaches, Please supply reference.

It seems that almost everyone in the world, man and women now have tattoos. many women in church also have them, most men only have tattoos they had before they were saved.

• Members

Scripture says we are not to cut or mark our bodies.

Tattoos have always been a sign of rebellion and even the woman who gets the little butterfly tattoo on her ankle is viewed as having taken at least a small step of rebellion. In surveys about such things it has been found that guys consider a woman with a tattoo, any tattoo of any size, to be "easier" than women who don't have tattoos.

Our bodies (Christians) are temples of the Holy Ghost and placing grafitti upon the temple isn't the right thing to do.

Tattoos are not viewed as Christian, they have always been associated with the outlaw, the rebel, whether along the lines of pirates, outlaw bikers, gang members or "tough guys". Tattoos give an appearance of evil. Guys with tattoos are rated as being "wild, rebellious, untamed". Not descriptives a Christian should carry.

If a person wants to remember the day he became a Christian he should use his memory or write the date in his Bible; not use it as an occasion to mar and deface the temple of the Holy Ghost.

It's mostly the associations that make me lean towards tattoos being not so good, but I don't find anything wrong or unbiblical with tattoos in and of themselves. I would make sure to tell your friend that he is going to be looked down upon if he gets a tattoo for that reason. I don't think it's worth the controversy to get one.

• Members

It's mostly the associations that make me lean towards tattoos being not so good, but I don't find anything wrong or unbiblical with tattoos in and of themselves. I would make sure to tell your friend that he is going to be looked down upon if he gets a tattoo for that reason. I don't think it's worth the controversy to get one.

Your statements point out one of the biblical reasons for not getting a tattoo, abstaining from the appearance of evil.

It seems that almost everyone in the world, man and women now have tattoos. many women in church also have them, most men only have tattoos they had before they were saved.

Tatoos are a tradition in the Navy. I retired from the Navy and never had any. Tatoos are currently a fad perpetuated by T.V. and the "Biker-Drug-Sports Worshipping Culture."

• Members

I cannot see why a christian should want to disfigure their bodies with tattoos or piercings of any kind.

Personally, I don't see why anyone would. I know of those who either have them or want them but I don't get it. Of course, i also know that each person must make up his/her own mind about things.

• Administrators

Personally, I don't see why anyone would. I know of those who either have them or want them but I don't get it. Of course, i also know that each person must make up his/her own mind about things.

No-one is disputing that each person must make up his/her own mind...but it's wrong for Christians to "make up" their own minds while ignoring scriptural principles.

Trust in the Lord with all thine heart and lean not unto thine own understanding. In ALL thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.