• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Remarriage

The Bible specifically says that if a woman is married to a man while here husband is alive she is an adulterous. How can one repent and still be married to that man? Isn't she still in adultery? Her husband is still alive. Lets say Dick and Jane are an unmarried couple that are christians in a church and are living together. Later it is found out. Can Dick and Jane repent and still live with each other,or do they need to repent and depart and live seperately? The conclusion that you come up with in either question applies to a christian that is divorced and remarries. In Gods eyes that is all they are doing is living together. They are found in adultery. Which by the way shows a heart of unrepentance. Just as fornicators living together.

mark 10:6 But from the beginning of the creation God made them male and female.

7For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and cleave to his wife;

8And they twain shall be one flesh: so then they are no more twain, but one flesh.

9What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.

10And in the house his disciples asked him again of the same matter.

11And he saith unto them, Whosoever shall put away his wife, and marry another, committeth adultery against her.

12And if a woman shall put away her husband, and be married to another, she committeth adultery.

Romans 2:2 For the woman which hath an husband is bound by the law to her husband so long as he liveth; but if the husband be dead, she is loosed from the law of her husband.

3So then if, while her husband liveth, she be married to another man, she shall be called an adulteress: but if her husband be dead, she is free from that law; so that she is no adulteress, though she be married to another man.

1 Corinthians 7:39 The wife is bound by the law as long as her husband liveth; but if her husband be dead, she is at liberty to be married to whom she will; only in the Lord.

Kleptes, I agree whole heartedly to remarry while a divorced spouse lives is sin. Is it forgiveable? Will Jesus forgive this person if they repent? What else would you have them do after confessing the sin and asking Christ to forgive them? I don't see how they can go back to a departing spouse who already had remarried?

Their only option was to live unmarried but, they didn't...they also remarried. As was mentioned before there is no perpetual sin for the Christian who confesses their sin.

These are difficult scriptural issues to weigh. But we have these people living among us and they are our brothers and sisters. Yes they are sinners just like you and I. We need to remember Christ died for them and that they won't be married to one another in heaven. Help them to grow and live godly in Christ Jesus. Is there any other option for us than to love them?

• Members

Kleptes, I agree whole heartedly to remarry while a divorced spouse lives is sin. Is it forgiveable? Will Jesus forgive this person if they repent? What else would you have them do after confessing the sin and asking Christ to forgive them? I don't see how they can go back to a departing spouse who already had remarried?

Their only option was to live unmarried but, they didn't...they also remarried. As was mentioned before there is no perpetual sin for the Christian who confesses their sin.

These are difficult scriptural issues to weigh. But we have these people living among us and they are our brothers and sisters. Yes they are sinners just like you and I. We need to remember Christ died for them and that they won't be married to one another in heaven. Help them to grow and live godly in Christ Jesus. Is there any other option for us than to love them?

:amen:

God knows we will sin and graciously made provision for such. First John deals with this and for most Christians First John 1:9 is a "classic", and this tells us what to do when we have sinned and assures us of God's forgiveness.

• Members

I feel like a lot is explained with Mary and Joseph. Joseph nearly divorced Mary in the betrothal period. In this case, he would have been free to remarry due to the supposed faithlessness of the betrothed wife. This is when he is "not bound". The betrothal was a signed contract back then and was as binding as marriage, except for fornication.

I do not believe the Bible teaches remarriage is okay after a physical union marriage and then divorce. Unfortunately, "everyone" does it these days. I think pastors have a hard time preaching it because so many people are divorced nowadays and become offended when it is preached against. The few times my husband has had to preach on it, he has had to remind the people that God can still use divorced people but the truth still needs to be told for those who are not yet married.

• Members

There is no such thing as a perpetual sin and God doesn't call us to commit sin in order to get out of a sin. If someone marries a divorced person, or if they themselves were divorced, then the act of getting married was a sin. If they confess that sin, God is faithful to forgive them. Once a couple is married, they are bound before God in marriage. Even if the marriage began in sin, God holds the couple accountable to live as a married couple.

So I guess if I wanted I can go cheat on my wife continually and it not be a perpetual sin right, or how about the man who had his fathers wife? Paul tells them to purge that man out and give him over to satan for the destruction of the flesh so that his spirit may be saved on the last day of the Lord Jesus. Why would he then tell them to purge him out if it wasn't on going or that the man hadn't repented of it?

1 Corinthians 5:1It is reported commonly that there is fornication among you, and such fornication as is not so much as named among the Gentiles, that one should have his father's wife.

2And ye are puffed up, and have not rather mourned, that he that hath done this deed might be taken away from among you.

3For I verily, as absent in body, but present in spirit, have judged already, as though I were present, concerning him that hath so done this deed,

4In the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, when ye are gathered together, and my spirit, with the power of our Lord Jesus Christ,

5To deliver such an one unto Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus.

How about family members that marry, or same gender marriage? You say well that is against the laws of the land and that gay marriage is spoken against in the Bible as well. Are the laws of the land greater than that of God? I think not right? So why would we then say it is wrong for man and man to marry, or women to woman, or a brother or sister, mother and son or for father and daughter marry, yet explain away when the Bible says a woman is an adulteress or be called an adulteress. How about she comimiteth sin. Commiteth doesn't sound like a one time sin either commiteth is active. It really doesn't sound like it is just that one day in front of the preacher saying vows either but rather the lifestyle she/he is in. Would it be right for a sister and brother to still stay married....... I mean they are married after all and they are male and female and God bound them right?
Sin is sin no matter how we rationalize it. The Bible specifically says to reconcile back to the spouse or stay single. Doesn't say but if you do marry it is ok (he does say that for virgins though.) It isn't about the emotions of those people or the hurt they felt in that regard, but what christians are commanded to do and not do. If I am in a sin I either repent and turn to God or I continue in it and hurt not only myself but others. We are christians we should know better. If the divorce happened once it probbably will happen again, apparently they didn't see the wrong in thier first marriage ordained of God. So why the big fuss over a second one, God didn't bind them. They are bound to the law as long as that spouse is alive. What law? The law of marriage that God implemted with Adam and Eve from the beginning. Paul specifically says she can marry whom she will only in the Lord and that is when that spouse is dead. Committing adultery and marrying isn't in the Lord's will is it? They are doing it out of His will right? The only conclusion we can come up with is that they aren't marrying or being married to whom they will only in the Lord. Isn't marriage a covenant? How can you break a covenant? God is in that covenant as well. So I believe you would have to ask God first right? What do you think he would say? Jesus explains it really well. When He said what God hath joined together let not man put asunder.

Matthew 19:6
Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.

Mark 10:9
What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.

I would hate to think Jesus would break his covenant with us and decide to send us to condemnation. Would be disingenuine of Him wouldn't it? I thank my God that me and my wife married in a covenant with Jesus as our center.

• Members

So I guess if I wanted I can go cheat on my wife continually and it not be a perpetual sin right, or how about the man who had his fathers wife? Paul tells them to purge that man out and give him over to satan for the destruction of the flesh so that his spirit may be saved on the last day of the Lord Jesus. Why would he then tell them to purge him out if it wasn't on going or that the man hadn't repented of it?

1 Corinthians 5:1It is reported commonly that there is fornication among you, and such fornication as is not so much as named among the Gentiles, that one should have his father's wife.

2And ye are puffed up, and have not rather mourned, that he that hath done this deed might be taken away from among you.

3For I verily, as absent in body, but present in spirit, have judged already, as though I were present, concerning him that hath so done this deed,

4In the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, when ye are gathered together, and my spirit, with the power of our Lord Jesus Christ,

5To deliver such an one unto Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus.

How about family members that marry, or same gender marriage? You say well that is against the laws of the land and that gay marriage is spoken against in the Bible as well. Are the laws of the land greater than that of God? I think not right? So why would we then say it is wrong for man and man to marry, or women to woman, or a brother or sister, mother and son or for father and daughter marry, yet explain away when the Bible says a woman is an adulteress or be called an adulteress. How about she comimiteth sin. Commiteth doesn't sound like a one time sin either commiteth is active. It really doesn't sound like it is just that one day in front of the preacher saying vows either but rather the lifestyle she/he is in. Would it be right for a sister and brother to still stay married....... I mean they are married after all and they are male and female and God bound them right?
Sin is sin no matter how we rationalize it. The Bible specifically says to reconcile back to the spouse or stay single. Doesn't say but if you do marry it is ok (he does say that for virgins though.) It isn't about the emotions of those people or the hurt they felt in that regard, but what christians are commanded to do and not do. If I am in a sin I either repent and turn to God or I continue in it and hurt not only myself but others. We are christians we should know better. If the divorce happened once it probbably will happen again, apparently they didn't see the wrong in thier first marriage ordained of God. So why the big fuss over a second one, God didn't bind them. They are bound to the law as long as that spouse is alive. What law? The law of marriage that God implemted with Adam and Eve from the beginning. Paul specifically says she can marry whom she will only in the Lord and that is when that spouse is dead. Committing adultery and marrying isn't in the Lord's will is it? They are doing it out of His will right? The only conclusion we can come up with is that they aren't marrying or being married to whom they will only in the Lord. Isn't marriage a covenant? How can you break a covenant? God is in that covenant as well. So I believe you would have to ask God first right? What do you think he would say? Jesus explains it really well. When He said what God hath joined together let not man put asunder.

Matthew 19:6
Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.

Mark 10:9
What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.

I would hate to think Jesus would break his covenant with us and decide to send us to condemnation. Would be disingenuine of Him wouldn't it? I thank my God that me and my wife married in a covenant with Jesus as our center.

You are mixing way too many things in here and most don't even relate to the topic.

If you cheat on your wife continually you will not be in perpetual sin, you will be in serial sin. If you come to a point where you repent of this, confess to God (1st John 1:9) then you will be forgiven and restored to right relation with God.

If a person is divorced, they should be reconciled with their former spouse or remain unmarried. However, if they do sin and marry someone else, this isn't a perpetual, unforgivable sin. First John 1:9 still applies, there is not an exception clause.

God knows that even though we are born again we will yet sin, which is what part of First John is about. He knows some of us will divorce and remarry; some will lie often, some will get drunk, some will be caught up in gossip, some will be stingy givers, some will even kill; and yet none of these sins is unforgivable; they are all covered by 1st John 1:9.

God calls us to be perfect, we are told to be holy, for He is holy. God calls us to a perfect standard that we can't attain in this life. God knows this and in His mercy and grace has made provision for our weak natures.

You are mixing way too many things in here and most don't even relate to the topic.

If you cheat on your wife continually you will not be in perpetual sin, you will be in serial sin. If you come to a point where you repent of this, confess to God (1st John 1:9) then you will be forgiven and restored to right relation with God.

If a person is divorced, they should be reconciled with their former spouse or remain unmarried. However, if they do sin and marry someone else, this isn't a perpetual, unforgivable sin. First John 1:9 still applies, there is not an exception clause.

God knows that even though we are born again we will yet sin, which is what part of First John is about. He knows some of us will divorce and remarry; some will lie often, some will get drunk, some will be caught up in gossip, some will be stingy givers, some will even kill; and yet none of these sins is unforgivable; they are all covered by 1st John 1:9.

God calls us to be perfect, we are told to be holy, for He is holy. God calls us to a perfect standard that we can't attain in this life. God knows this and in His mercy and grace has made provision for our weak natures.

I might add not only weak natures but SIN natures. Kleptes, I like yourself, am glad we have a Savior who doesn't go back on His word. That Savior, unlike us, is very God and we can see just how great He is through the frailty of our sinful flesh. I don't believe anyone here is condoning divorce and remarriage. No one is ignoring that divorce happens either. Those persons who commit this sin, will live with the result of this sin in their mortal bodies. For the divorced and remarried it may be anguish, sorrow, bitterness, over children, prior spouse, and even their failure. You are going to school, or went to school for some period of time to study God's word and answer a calling. Have you attended pastoral care classes yet? If not, this conversation should be copied to a doc. for later reference in those classes. You will have to deal with the divorced/remarried at some time in your future if the Lord tarries. Up to the time you're faced with it learn all you can about the tragedy of it, to better counsel/preach against it, and to care for those who were caught up in it.

• Members

One thing to note is that when Jesus spoke to the Samaritan woman, he recognized each of her five husbands as "husbands". So that sounds to me like five counts of adultery...and then a living in fornication with the one that was not her husband.

Also if I were to run off on my husband for ONE night.....I could be considered an "adulteress" because I committed adultery. However I can repent from that sin and be forgiven. Soooo if someone gets remarried, they are an "adulterer" or "adulteress" but they can still renew their relationship with God and be used of Him. Also, after the next marriage, God evidently recognizes that marriage per the Samaritan woman, and so you need to just stay in that new marriage, without becoming an "adulterer" a second (or third, etc) time. If it were perpetual sin, God would want the new "adulterous" marriage to dissolve...but He never teaches that...He teaches to remain in the marriage you are in...which means it cannot possibly be living in constant sin.

• Administrators

Add to the mix that God told people that a woman who married a second husband was not to return to the first if the second marriage didn't work out. I realize we are not under the law, but God's principles don't change. Once a second marriage takes place, the first marriage is not to be considered still viable.

• Moderators

So... what if we had a fellow who divorced his wife and married someone else, thus forever ending any chance of reconciliation to his first wife. Is the first wife free to remarry without sin - or would that still be adultery for her? :stirthepot:

So... what if we had a fellow who divorced his wife and married someone else, thus forever ending any chance of reconciliation to his first wife. Is the first wife free to remarry without sin - or would that still be adultery for her? :stirthepot:

You're not stirring the pot. These are all possible situations or discussions we may encounter. Its good to discuss them.

Under N.T. scripture (presented throughout this thread) it is still adultery and thus sin. Repent, receive forgiveness then "go and sin no more."

P.S.

LuAnne, where is that O.T. law referenced on not returning to a prior spouse? I would like to look at it.

• Administrators

You're not stirring the pot. These are all possible situations or discussions we may encounter. Its good to discuss them.

Under N.T. scripture (presented throughout this thread) it is still adultery and thus sin. Repent, receive forgiveness then "go and sin no more."

P.S.

LuAnne, where is that O.T. law referenced on not returning to a prior spouse? I would like to look at it.

Deut. 24:1-4

• Members

Why then is it called adultery, if it is nothing after that second marriage? Why go through such an effort to even label it as adultery.

Why not just say she made a mistake and now has made it right it with another man.

Does not the phrase "bound to her husband as long as he liveth" mean exactly what it says? The husband and wife are still bound to each other until death. Does it say until death or if the divorce applies? NO. It's plain and clear as day that it says bound till death. Do you see that it also says she is only loosed from the law of her husband only if he is dead? If they are bound to each other until death, marrying another would be polygamy. Is polygamy okay? Since God sees marrying to another as adultery, does He recognize it as a true marriage under a covenant? We can agree that 1+1+1 = 3 right? So if we can plainly see what mathematics shows us in just that simple equation;how is it we cannot discern or see that bound + alive + marryied to another = adultery and bound + death + married to another = freedom? Example: Jane is married to Dick. Jane divorces Dick and marrys Sam. Dick is still alive? According to the Bible Jane is called a what? Since Dick is still alive?

3So then if, while her husband liveth, she be married to another man, she shall be called an adulteress: but if her husband be dead, she is free from that law; so that she is no adulteress, though she be married to another man.

Dick and Jane are married. Dick dies. Jane is left alone. Along comes Sam. Jane and Sam marry. What does the Bible say about this couple?

Same exact verse and notice the answers to both situations are in it.

Jesus called the generation of his day an adulterous generation. What was the question they asked him? Notice the key word "Tempting"

2And the Pharisees came to him, and asked him, Is it lawful for a man to put away his wife? tempting him.

3And he answered and said unto them, What did Moses command you?

4And they said, Moses suffered to write a bill of divorcement, and to put her away.

5And Jesus answered and said unto them, For the hardness of your heart he wrote you this precept.

6But from the beginning of the creation God made them male and female.

7For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and cleave to his wife;

8And they twain shall be one flesh: so then they are no more twain, but one flesh.

They ask Jesus a question, tempting him. He answers them and says because of the hardness or your heart he wrote this precept. So what I can gather is that because the divorce rate and remarriage is so prevailent that we to are an adulterous generation and that we have hardened hearts and we tempt Jesus every time question and divorce and remarry.I don't recall Jesus saying "What therefore God hath joined together let no man put asunder.Oh and don't worry in about 2000 years Moses's precept will be back up." Jesus is God. Jesus said what God hath joined together let no man put asunder. You can search scripture till Jesus comes and you will not find evidence of remarriage being permissable if a spouse is still alive. The samaritan woman... it doesn't say whether he husbands are still alive or dead. This woman was of samaria was probably under that precept as well. If what Jesus said to the pharasees wasn't important or didn't have any meaning behind it. Why then would it even be there? What is his purpose. Words to just fill in space? NO. His intent is to convey from that point on it will be as it was from the beginning. The words of Jesus are greater than any precept that Moses wrote. Am i saying go out and gather all those up and make them divorce? No. Jesus didn't strong arm. Niether can we. But why shy away what the Bible teaches? Teach the truth.Jesus did. It is very possible people will see it and do what is right. There is no loop hole so why teach it as if there is? The Bible says train our children the way they should go and when they are old they will not depart from it. Lower the divorce rate in the coming generations. That is if Jesus hasn't come back by then.

Edited by Kleptes

Why then is it called adultery, if it is nothing after that second marriage? Why go through such an effort to even label it as adultery.

Why not just say she made a mistake and now has made it right it with another man.

Does not the phrase "bound to her husband as long as he liveth" mean exactly what it says? The husband and wife are still bound to each other until death. Does it say until death or if the divorce applies? NO. It's plain and clear as day that it says bound till death. Do you see that it also says she is only loosed from the law of her husband only if he is dead? If they are bound to each other until death, marrying another would be polygamy. Is polygamy okay? Since God sees marrying to another as adultery, does He recognize it as a true marriage under a covenant? We can agree that 1+1+1 = 3 right? So if we can plainly see what mathematics shows us in just that simple equation;how is it we cannot discern or see that bound + alive + marryied to another = adultery and bound + death + married to another = freedom? Example: Jane is married to Dick. Jane divorces Dick and marrys Sam. Dick is still alive? According to the Bible Jane is called a what? Since Dick is still alive?

Dick and Jane are married. Dick dies. Jane is left alone. Along comes Sam. Jane and Sam marry. What does the Bible say about this couple?

Same exact verse and notice the answers to both situations are in it.

Jesus called the generation of his day an adulterous generation. What was the question they asked him? Notice the key word "Tempting"

2And the Pharisees came to him, and asked him, Is it lawful for a man to put away his wife? tempting him.

3And he answered and said unto them, What did Moses command you?

4And they said, Moses suffered to write a bill of divorcement, and to put her away.

5And Jesus answered and said unto them, For the hardness of your heart he wrote you this precept.

6But from the beginning of the creation God made them male and female.

They ask Jesus a question, tempting him. He answers them and says because of the hardness or your heart he wrote this precept. So what I can gather is that because the divorce rate and remarriage is so prevailent that we to are an adulterous generation and that we have hardened hearts and we tempt Jesus every time question and divorce and remarry.I don't recall Jesus saying "What therefore God hath joined together let no man put asunder.Oh and don't worry in about 2000 years Moses's precept will be back up." Jesus is God. Jesus said what God hath joined together let no man put asunder. You can search scripture till Jesus comes and you will not find evidence of remarriage being permissable if a spouse is still alive. The samaritan woman... it doesn't say whether he husbands are still alive or dead. This woman was of samaria was probably under that precept as well. If what Jesus said to the pharasees wasn't important or didn't have any meaning behind it. Why then would it even be there? What is his purpose. Words to just fill in space? NO. His intent is to convey from that point on it will be as it was from the beginning. The words of Jesus are greater than any precept that Moses wrote. Am i saying go out and gather all those up and make them divorce? No. Jesus didn't strong arm. Niether can we. But why shy away what the Bible teaches? Teach the truth.Jesus did. It is very possible people will see it and do what is right. There is no loop hole so why teach it as if there is? The Bible says train our children the way they should go and when they are old they will not depart from it. Lower the divorce rate in the coming generations. That is if Jesus hasn't come back by then.

How many divorced people are in your church?

• Members

How many divorced people are in your church?

As far as I know none in it so far. The statistics show for all christians 41 percent and for those who frequent church at 32 percent, with non christians at 48 percent in 2006. Dont ge me wrong. I believe the Bible teaches that divorce is permitted if a spouse is fornicating. It's the whole remarriage part that the bible doesn't teach unless the spouse is dead. Edited by Kleptes