• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Remarriage

• Moderators

I've been thinking lately about the issue of remarriage after divorce. I have studied this out for myself, but I'm curious as to what you all think on the issue. This is not in reference to pastoral qualifications, and it's not a discussion of the Biblicality of divorce itself, but rather whether or not a person is ever allowed to remarry after a divorce. May I get your :twocents: ?

• Members

I've been thinking lately about the issue of remarriage after divorce. I have studied this out for myself, but I'm curious as to what you all think on the issue. This is not in reference to pastoral qualifications, and it's not a discussion of the Biblicality of divorce itself, but rather whether or not a person is ever allowed to remarry after a divorce. May I get your :twocents: ?

I would say biblically no, from the scriptures it seems Gods perfect will is that a person should not remarry after a divorce as long as their divorced spouse is still alive. If it was "ok" for anyone to do that then it wouldn't be a problem when a pastor did it either.

Remarriage after the death of a spouse or if previous spouse remarrys.

If you do re-marry then it is sin and you'll have to repent but...that doesn't mean another divorce.

• Members

No, its realy quite smiple. If a person that has divorce spouse dies, them they are free to remarry, and it isn't a sin..

Ro 7:2 For the woman which hath an husband is bound by the law to her husband so long as he liveth; but if the husband be dead, she is loosed from the law of her husband.
Ro 7:3 So then if, while her husband liveth, she be married to another man, she shall be called an adulteress: but if her husband be dead, she is free from that law; so that she is no adulteress, though she be married to another man.

Remarriage after death of a spouse is not sin.

My dilemma is:
Is remarriage sin...after your spouse has left you, divorced you, and remarried?

So, lets do Dick and Jane.
Dick and Jane appear to be Christians.
Dick comes home and Jane is gone.
Dick receives a letter from Jane saying she left and will never return.
Dick attempts to reconcile to no avail.
They divorce after Jane is found in adultry.
Jane remarries to the adulterous friend.
Dick remarries 10 years later.
Jane is a sinner and must repent.
Dick is a sinner and must repent.
Jane is forgiven.
Dick is forgiven.

Does that help you understand the case I present? Please let me hear your comments.

That's the kind of situation I was thinking about. Particularly Dick's side.

"but rather whether or not a person is ever allowed to remarry after a divorce."

Allowed to remarry?

Not all of us have the grace God gave Paul to never marry.
Not all of us have the ability to live our earthly lives in an unmarried condition.
(some of us just don't have the faith of the Pharisees or Saducees)

Questions arise about the spiritual condition of both persons. We have no way of looking
into the heart of Dick or Jane. Did Dick beat Jane? Were either really saved? Their condition
isn't revealed to us. However, we know sin is forgiveable and such is the case of the sin of
adultry. "go, and sin no more."

• Members

Remarriage after death of a spouse is not sin.

My dilemma is:
Is remarriage sin...after your spouse has left you, divorced you, and remarried?

So, lets do Dick and Jane.
Dick and Jane appear to be Christians.
Dick comes home and Jane is gone.
Dick receives a letter from Jane saying she left and will never return.
Dick attempts to reconcile to no avail.
They divorce after Jane is found in adultry.
Jane remarries to the adulterous friend.
Dick remarries 10 years later.
Jane is a sinner and must repent.
Dick is a sinner and must repent.
Jane is forgiven.
Dick is forgiven.

Does that help you understand the case I present? Please let me hear your comments.

The Bible specifically says that if a woman is married to a man while here husband is alive she is an adulterous. How can one repent and still be married to that man? Isn't she still in adultery? Her husband is still alive. Lets say Dick and Jane are an unmarried couple that are christians in a church and are living together. Later it is found out. Can Dick and Jane repent and still live with each other,or do they need to repent and depart and live seperately? The conclusion that you come up with in either question applies to a christian that is divorced and remarries. In Gods eyes that is all they are doing is living together. They are found in adultery. Which by the way shows a heart of unrepentance. Just as fornicators living together.

mark 10:6 But from the beginning of the creation God made them male and female.

7For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and cleave to his wife;

8And they twain shall be one flesh: so then they are no more twain, but one flesh.

9What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.

10And in the house his disciples asked him again of the same matter.

11And he saith unto them, Whosoever shall put away his wife, and marry another, committeth adultery against her.

12And if a woman shall put away her husband, and be married to another, she committeth adultery.

Romans 2:2 For the woman which hath an husband is bound by the law to her husband so long as he liveth; but if the husband be dead, she is loosed from the law of her husband.

3So then if, while her husband liveth, she be married to another man, she shall be called an adulteress: but if her husband be dead, she is free from that law; so that she is no adulteress, though she be married to another man.

1 Corinthians 7:39 The wife is bound by the law as long as her husband liveth; but if her husband be dead, she is at liberty to be married to whom she will; only in the Lord.

• Members

"but rather whether or not a person is ever allowed to remarry after a divorce."

Allowed to remarry?

Not all of us have the ability to live our earthly lives in an unmarried condition.

Questions arise about the spiritual condition of both persons. We have no way of looking
into the heart of Dick or Jane. Did Dick beat Jane? Were either really saved? Their condition
isn't revealed to us. However, we know sin is forgiveable and such is the case of the sin of

This a post that I posted in pastor qualifications topic.

Jesus makes it clear on divorce, but he doesn't give any leeway to remarriage. In fact says it is adultery.

Mark 10:11
And he saith unto them, Whosoever shall put away his wife, and marry another, committeth adultery against her.

Mark 10:12
And if a woman shall put away her husband, and be married to another, she committeth adultery.

Luke 16:18
Whosoever putteth away his wife, and marrieth another, committeth adultery: and whosoever marrieth her that is put away from her husband committeth adultery.
(This verse explicitly states if a man marries a woman that is put away (divorced) commits adultery.

Paul also clears it up for those who need a gentile example of divorce and remarriage
1 Corinthians 7:39
The wife is bound by the law as long as her husband liveth; but if her husband be dead, she is at liberty to be married to whom she will; only in the Lord.
(Notice if the husband is dead, and she can be married again but only in the Lord.)

Romans 7:2
For the woman which hath an husband is bound by the law to her husband so long as he liveth; but if the husband be dead, she is loosed from the law of her husband.

Romans 7:3
So then if, while her husband liveth, she be married to another man, she shall be called an adulteress: but if her husband be dead, she is free from that law; so that she is no adulteress, though she be married to another man.

1Corinthians 7:10
And unto the married I command, yet not I, but the Lord, Let not the wife depart from her husband:

1Corinthians 7:11
But and if she depart, let her remain unmarried or be reconciled to her husband: and let not the husband put away his wife.

1Corinthians 7:12
But to the rest speak I, not the Lord: If any brother hath a wife that believeth not, and she be pleased to dwell with him, let him not put her away.

1Corinthians 7:13
And the woman which hath an husband that believeth not, and if he be pleased to dwell with her, let her not leave him.

Notice that Pauls say in 7:12 "the rest speak I, not the Lord:" People will read into these verse and those preceding them to say Paul is giving room for remarriage because he says they are no longer under bondage. This isn't the case. Paul isn't one to make a statement from the Lord then contradict it a few verses later. When he says let a woman be reconciled back to that husband that is still what he means. If you read through chapter 7 you will see Paul giving examples to show if you are in a calling stay in that calling. The examples are: circumcised to uncircumcised and vise versa and he also points out if a servant be a servant don't be bothered about it, but he also says if you are free or become a freeman do it rather. The Lord needs freemen. So if a husband departs or a wife departs either be reconciled back to them or you stay single(no longer under that bondage) you are a freeman to do service to Christ only. No remarriage, it isn't even mentioned.

14 For the unbelieving husband is sanctified by the wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified by the husband: else were your children unclean; but now are they holy.

15 But if the unbelieving depart, let him depart. A brother or a sister is not under bondage in such cases: but God hath called us to peace.

16 For what knowest thou, O wife, whether thou shalt save thy husband? or how knowest thou, O man, whether thou shalt save thy wife?

17 But as God hath distributed to every man, as the Lord hath called every one, so let him walk. And so ordain I in all churches.

18 Is any man called being circumcised? let him not become uncircumcised. Is any called in uncircumcision? let him not be circumcised.

19 Circumcision is nothing, and uncircumcision is nothing, but the keeping of the commandments of God.

20Let every man abide in the same calling wherein he was called.

21 Art thou called being a servant? care not for it: but if thou mayest be made free, use it rather.

22 For he that is called in the Lord, being a servant, is the Lord's freeman: likewise also he that is called, being free, is Christ's servant.

23 Ye are bought with a price; be not ye the servants of men.

24 Brethren, let every man, wherein he is called, therein abide with God.

• Members

The Bible specifically says that if a woman is married to a man while here husband is alive she is an adulterous. How can one repent and still be married to that man? Isn't she still in adultery? Her husband is still alive. Lets say Dick and Jane are an unmarried couple that are christians in a church and are living together. Later it is found out. Can Dick and Jane repent and still live with each other,or do they need to repent and depart and live seperately? The conclusion that you come up with in either question applies to a christian that is divorced and remarries. In Gods eyes that is all they are doing is living together. They are found in adultery. Which by the way shows a heart of unrepentance. Just as fornicators living together.

mark 10:6 But from the beginning of the creation God made them male and female.

7For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and cleave to his wife;

8And they twain shall be one flesh: so then they are no more twain, but one flesh.

9What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.

10And in the house his disciples asked him again of the same matter.

11And he saith unto them, Whosoever shall put away his wife, and marry another, committeth adultery against her.

12And if a woman shall put away her husband, and be married to another, she committeth adultery.

Romans 2:2 For the woman which hath an husband is bound by the law to her husband so long as he liveth; but if the husband be dead, she is loosed from the law of her husband.

3So then if, while her husband liveth, she be married to another man, she shall be called an adulteress: but if her husband be dead, she is free from that law; so that she is no adulteress, though she be married to another man.

1 Corinthians 7:39 The wife is bound by the law as long as her husband liveth; but if her husband be dead, she is at liberty to be married to whom she will; only in the Lord.

There is no such thing as a perpetual sin and God doesn't call us to commit sin in order to get out of a sin. If someone marries a divorced person, or if they themselves were divorced, then the act of getting married was a sin. If they confess that sin, God is faithful to forgive them. Once a couple is married, they are bound before God in marriage. Even if the marriage began in sin, God holds the couple accountable to live as a married couple.

• Members

Allowed to remarry?

That portion wasexplained in this post.

• Members

For Dick and Jane to get right with God, 1st they would have to repent of that sin, and the 2nd they would be to live apart until they marry, and or go their separate ways.

Yet, the case of a person being divorced and remarried is a completely different situation than Dick and Jane's situation..

As for these verses.

Romans 2:2
2 For the woman which hath an husband is bound by the law to her husband so long as he liveth; but if the husband be dead, she is loosed from the law of her husband.
3 So then if, while her husband liveth, she be married to another man, she shall be called an adulteress: but if her husband be dead, she is free from that law; so that she is no adulteress, though she be married to another man.

If she divorced, she would again sin against God, yet at the same time the verse does say she shall be known as an adulteress so long as her husband shall live.

Sinning against God causes many complex problems and troubles. There be many Christians that do not think things through and high hat God while depending on His grace while committing many sins.

• Members

Sinning against God causes many complex problems and troubles. There be many Christians that do not think things through and high hat God while depending on His grace while committing many sins.

So true Jerry. Part of the reason we have so much divorce and marriage problems (and sin) among professing Christians is due to the lack of teaching and preaching on this topic. There are so many in churches today who have been divorced that many pastors fear to bring up the subject.

Issues dealing with marriage should be something biblically taught in high school and adult Sunday schools and in their Bible studies and also high school youth groups. If they don't learn what the Bible says about such matters in church it's little wonder so many fall into these sins.