• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

What is Sin?

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And this is why we are saved by grace through faith and not works. Because we would just fail to meet the mark.

:amen: but... What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound? God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?

• Members

Then most recently we got into the topic about should women wear pants or dresses?

That seems really simple to me - a no brainer!

Deuteronomy 22:5 The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the LORD thy God.

Breeches/trowsers/pants are men's garments and have always been men's garments, and dresses have always been women's garments.

Now is that just my own opinion or does the Bible really say that? Why would anyone want to do something that God says is an abomination to Him? Why does everyone get so upset and up in arms when I stand firm on the scriptures regarding that teaching?

I went through a time when I believed that it did not matter what I wore, and I had a closet full of favorite jeans that fit me just right, and my hair cut in a cute little pixie cut. But once I became convicted on this issue, I went out and bought a closet full of dresses and skirts. I did not toss the pants out right away, I just folded them up and packed them away in a box, but after a month or so of being dresses only, I threw the box of jeans away and I have not looked back since. I also began letting my hair grow out too, and stopped dying it blonde. I think I like my hair better just the way God made it, even the gray streaks look nice. Some women have asked me if I have it streaked like that in a salon, and I tell them no - that is just the natural way it grows. I have been pressured by co-workers to get my hair cut into a more "fashionable style" - ie short bob, but I ended my relationship with that company rather than bend to adult "peer pressure." I like it long, and when it is warm weather I wear it up in a nice bun, or a roll, and sometimes a braided bun. When your hair is cut short, you cannot change the style around - you are just stuck with it until it grows out, and then you get it cut again. the only ones who benefit from your short dyed hair is your hair dresser - and of course she is going to continue to encourage you to go withthe shortest cuts and styles, so she can stay in business. it took me too long to figure that out, but i did figure it out eventually.

Deuteronomy 22:5 The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the LORD thy God.

:lol: :lol YES!! I have always worn dresses to church!! Out in public (I am working on that one, still...I am very conservative and am presently under conviction of the Holy Spirit on this one)...and, in the home...I have to get a lil' better, too...b/c it is just me and the dogs during the day. LOL. Consistency is key.

I have to read the book: Bobbed Hair---Bossy Women. Although, my hair is fairly long.

Also, when a women's hair is not colored...and is natural---it shows the beauty of her skin. That is fact. Talk with a Cosmetologist if you haven't already---they will tell you the details on that.

• Members
I know for fact, many think that once they have been saved from hell, they can live anyway they chose, that it makes no difference.

They feel being as there is not a sin that will now send us to hell we're safe, so we are going to enjoy life to its fullest. I've heard this from people who attend church regularly and from those who only attend on special occasions.

My son-in-laws mother feels this way, she found her last 2 husbands in the barrooms. I might add, her and her husbands have always attended barrooms much more frequently than church services. You know, church services is not as exciting as the barroom are at nighttime.

One would have to question their salvation. Scripture tells those who profess to be Christians they are to examine themselves to be sure of their salvation.

Is there evidence they are saved? What does the fruit of their life say? Their lifestyle?

Sadly, many folks have said a "salvation prayer" with some TV preacher or someone imporperly witnessing to them and believe they are saved, okay with God and can go about their lives as they please. They need to examine themselves, see they are yet in sin and in need of salvation as Scripture prolcaims.

• Members

All of this reminds me of the thread on speeding. Most here agree Christians are to obey the authorities placed over them, including the government, so long as they don't tell us to violate the Word of God. However, many here stated in that thread various reasons why they believe it's okay to disobey speed limits.

Is this consistent? Are there some laws we can choose to disobey because we have "good" excuses or because so many others disobey? Would not disobeying speed limit laws also give an appearance of evil?

• Members

Yes, that is exactly what I mean, John. Why do people seem to be able to idenitfy the sin in others, but have problems identifying the sin in themselves? I am guilty of getting in a hurry and wanting to go over the speed limit, but not only is it breaking the law, it is committing a sin as a Christ following Christian.

It is not about anyone trying to be better than anyone else. It is simply trying to exhort one another to become better Christians. what is wrong with doing that?

I was taught that is what we are SUPPOSED to do as Christ Followers

Hebrews 3:13 But exhort one another daily, while it is called To day; lest any of you be hardened through the deceitfulness of sin.

All of this reminds me of the thread on speeding. Most here agree Christians are to obey the authorities placed over them, including the government, so long as they don't tell us to violate the Word of God. However, many here stated in that thread various reasons why they believe it's okay to disobey speed limits.

Is this consistent? Are there some laws we can choose to disobey because we have "good" excuses or because so many others disobey? Would not disobeying speed limit laws also give an appearance of evil?

:amen::goodpost: John. YES! It is about "consistency."

I am guilty of getting in a hurry and wanting to go over the speed limit' date=' but not only is it breaking the law, [b']it is committing a sin as a Christ following Christian.

YES! This a great reminder. :amen:

• Members
Then most recently we got into the topic about should women wear pants or dresses?

Breeches/trowsers/pants are men's garments and have always been men's garments, and dresses have always been women's garments.

Now is that just my own opinion or does the Bible really say that? Why would anyone want to do something that God says is an abomination to Him? Why does everyone get so upset and up in arms when I stand firm on the scriptures regarding that teaching?

I went through a time when I believed that it did not matter what I wore, and I had a closet full of favorite jeans that fit me just right, and my hair cut in a cute little pixie cut. But once I became convicted on this issue, I went out and bought a closet full of dresses and skirts. I did not toss the pants out right away, I just folded them up and packed them away in a box, but after a month or so of being dresses only, I threw the box of jeans away and I have not looked back since. I also began letting my hair grow out too, and stopped dying it blonde. I think I like my hair better just the way God made it, even the gray streaks look nice. Some women have asked me if I have it streaked like that in a salon, and I tell them no - that is just the natural way it grows. I have been pressured by co-workers to get my hair cut into a more "fashionable style" - ie short bob, but I ended my relationship with that company rather than bend to adult "peer pressure." I like it long, and when it is warm weather I wear it up in a nice bun, or a roll, and sometimes a braided bun. When your hair is cut short, you cannot change the style around - you are just stuck with it until it grows out, and then you get it cut again. the only ones who benefit from your short dyed hair is your hair dresser - and of course she is going to continue to encourage you to go withthe shortest cuts and styles, so she can stay in business. it took me too long to figure that out, but i did figure it out eventually.

I had been wondering how long it was going to take you to get this to the dresses/pants issue LOL. I even noticced you hinted at it by saying some said it was alright to be cross dressers (I have seen no one say such in recent discusions). I have a question for you. I do not want an answer, just for you to think on. Are you wearing underpants (even if you call them panties(funny that most women will call them panties, which has the root word pant))???? That is what the priests breeches (you mentioned breeches) were. Now I know you gave the websters definition, but it does not agree with the Bible's definition. They were to cover from the loins to the thigh. Is that a pair of pants??? Would you allow me to stand in your pulpit in pants that were that short???? I would hope not. Breeches were not to be seen. They were not to go up to the alter by steps lest their nakedness (they were wearing breeches) be discovered. What were breeches according to a bible definition???? Underwear, underpants. Not by any means pants to be seen. Now if you want to argue pants vs dresses that is fine. I see many good points on both sides. But when you bring in the breeches, you had better be ready to start having your women go around without underpants.

• Members

I had been wondering how long it was going to take you to get this to the dresses/pants issue LOL. I even noticced you hinted at it by saying some said it was alright to be cross dressers (I have seen no one say such in recent discusions). I have a question for you. I do not want an answer, just for you to think on. Are you wearing underpants (even if you call them panties(funny that most women will call them panties, which has the root word pant))???? That is what the priests breeches (you mentioned breeches) were. Now I know you gave the websters definition, but it does not agree with the Bible's definition. They were to cover from the loins to the thigh. Is that a pair of pants??? Would you allow me to stand in your pulpit in pants that were that short???? I would hope not. Breeches were not to be seen. They were not to go up to the alter by steps lest their nakedness (they were wearing breeches) be discovered. What were breeches according to a bible definition???? Underwear, underpants. Not by any means pants to be seen. Now if you want to argue pants vs dresses that is fine. I see many good points on both sides. But when you bring in the breeches, you had better be ready to start having your women go around without underpants.

Now this is precisely what I mean when I wonder about the ridiculous arguments that people present to refute the Word of God! If you are a man, I would hope that you are wearing a pair of pants while you are posting (if you aren't - don't tell me - I really don't want to know!)

What seems simple to me, other people have a tough time dealing with. I really do not know how to respond to such criticism. I did not write that verse of Scripture, that verse was there long before I came along!

Perhaps this verse of scripture is more appropriate?

1 Corinthians 7
31 And they that use this world, as not abusing it: for the fashion of this world passeth away.
32 But I would have

• Members

Now this is precisely what I mean when I wonder about the ridiculous arguments that people present to refute the Word of God! If you are a man, I would hope that you are wearing a pair of pants while you are posting (if you aren't - don't tell me - I really don't want to know!)

What seems simple to me, other people have a tough time dealing with. I really do not know how to respond to such criticism. I did not write that verse of Scripture, that verse was there long before I came along!

Perhaps this verse of scripture is more appropriate?

1 Corinthians 7
31 And they that use this world, as not abusing it: for the fashion of this world passeth away.
32 But I would have

All that I can say is this: Scripture does speak for itself, does it not? Also, my husband prefers me in a skirt and a dress. All the more reason for me to be striving in this area. Don't ya think?

He has also said (numerous times) that the majority of men are enticed by their flesh when they see women in pants. He has done his own research on this one. At least in our neck of the woods, that is.

• Members

I thought of another good question regarding sin. Is the Modern Feminist Movement a sin against God? Is it okay for a woman to believe that she is just as good as a man, equal in every way, and that being in the workforce is a way to prove her equality? The feminist also believe that being an ordinary housewife is just a way for a man to keep a woman as a "second class citizen." I believe part of that Feminist culture is to look like a man, dress like a man, and wear those cute cropped hair styles that tell the world they are modern liberated women.

The bible teaches us that women were made from the man to be the man's help meet.

Genesis 2:18 And the LORD God said, It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him.
Genesis 2:22 And the rib, which the LORD God had taken from man, made he a woman, and brought her unto the man.
Genesis 2:23 And Adam said, This is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man.

Does the Bible specify what the woman's role is supposed to be? I think it does.

Psalm 127
3 Lo, children are an heritage of the LORD: and the fruit of the womb is his reward.
4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.
5 Happy is the man that hath his quiver full of them: they shall not be ashamed, but they shall speak with the enemies in the gate.

Ruth 3:11 And now, my daughter, fear not; I will do to thee all that thou requirest: for all the city of my people doth know that thou art a virtuous woman.
Proverbs 12:4 A virtuous woman is a crown to her husband: but she that maketh ashamed is as rottenness in his bones.

Proverbs 31
10 Who can find a virtuous woman? for her price is far above rubies.
11 The heart of her husband doth safely trust in her, so that he shall have no need of spoil.
12 She will do him good and not evil all the days of her life.
13 She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands.
14 She is like the merchants' ships; she bringeth her food from afar.
15 She riseth also while it is yet night, and giveth meat to her household, and a portion to her maidens.
16 She considereth a field, and buyeth it: with the fruit of her hands she planteth a vineyard.
17 She girdeth her loins with strength, and strengtheneth her arms.
18 She perceiveth that her merchandise is good: her candle goeth not out by night.
19 She layeth her hands to the spindle, and her hands hold the distaff.
20 She stretcheth out her hand to the poor; yea, she reacheth forth her hands to the needy.
21 She is not afraid of the snow for her household: for all her household are clothed with scarlet.
22 She maketh herself coverings of tapestry; her clothing is silk and purple.
23 Her husband is known in the gates, when he sitteth among the elders of the land.
24 She maketh fine linen, and selleth it; and delivereth girdles unto the merchant.
25 Strength and honour are her clothing; and she shall rejoice in time to come.
26 She openeth her mouth with wisdom; and in her tongue is the law of kindness.
27 She looketh well to the ways

:goodpost: Janet. I have posted what my MIL has said before on OB: "The Women's Liberation Movement" has been the biggest downfall in American society.

John wrote some historical information on this. :thumb

Proverbs 31
10 Who can find a virtuous woman? for her price is far above rubies.
11 The heart of her husband doth safely trust in her, so that he shall have no need of spoil.
12 She will do him good and not evil all the days of her life.
13 She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands.
14 She is like the merchants' ships; she bringeth her food from afar.
15 She riseth also while it is yet night, and giveth meat to her household, and a portion to her maidens.
16 She considereth a field, and buyeth it: with the fruit of her hands she planteth a vineyard.
17 She girdeth her loins with strength, and strengtheneth her arms.
18 She perceiveth that her merchandise is good: her candle goeth not out by night.
19 She layeth her hands to the spindle, and her hands hold the distaff.
20 She stretcheth out her hand to the poor; yea, she reacheth forth her hands to the needy.
21 She is not afraid of the snow for her household: for all her household are clothed with scarlet.
22 She maketh herself coverings of tapestry; her clothing is silk and purple.
23 Her husband is known in the gates, when he sitteth among the elders of the land.
24 She maketh fine linen, and selleth it; and delivereth girdles unto the merchant.
25 Strength and honour are her clothing; and she shall rejoice in time to come.
26 She openeth her mouth with wisdom; and in her tongue is the law of kindness.
27 She looketh well to the ways