• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

The sin of sending your kids to public schools

• Members

I believe it is a sin to send your kids to public school. I've been challenged by family members regarding how far I take this. Let me first give the basis for my belief and then I'll expand on the problem. I believe it violates this verse:

Pro 19:27 Cease, my son, to hear the instruction that causeth to err from the words of knowledge.

It violates it because of the many ways the public schools will cause your children to err if they believe what is taught. If God says we shouldn't hear it, how much worse must it be for us to send our impressionable kids to be taught it. The biggies are evolution and humanism. Most serious-minded Bible believers would agree so far. The question I need to fully work out is whether it is a sin for all, or only those who can afford to send their kids to Christian school or home school. I understand many who say they cannot afford it probably could if they would quit smoking, paying for cable TV, having expensive hobbies etc. But, can I really tell a single mom that she's living in sin if she sends her kids to public school and truly cannot afford otherwise? My initial position was no. I can only tell people that if they can afford to they are in sin. But I was challenged that if it is a sin for one, it is a sin for all. I had to back track because if were income tax evasion, lying, cheating, adultery or drunkenness it would indeed be true for all.

Can somebody help me out here with the correct response (please include chapter and verse).

• Members

God is faithful and can be trusted in all matters when we obey Him. If Christian parents are willing to protec their children from the ungodly schools and evil influences of the students, God will provide the means. God has promised to meet all our needs and this includes providing for us as we raise our children according to His will.

Scripture is clear we are to separate our children from false religionists, the ungodly, anti-Christians and those who teach lies and those who would corrupt morals.

• Members

Good verse! There are, I'm sure many other verses which would confirm as well. One might be : "To him that knoweth to do good and doeth it not, to him it is sin."
God has allowed us to have the freedom freedom to homeschool. . If it is a conviction, the means will come. The last of my three is graduating from homeschool on Friday.

• Members

Good verse! There are, I'm sure many other verses which would confirm as well. One might be : "To him that knoweth to do good and doeth it not, to him it is sin."
God has allowed us to have the freedom freedom to homeschool. . If it is a conviction, the means will come. The last of my three is graduating from homeschool on Friday.

Congratulations! Praise God!!!

• Members

In my later years I have come to believe that many have been lost to the world by attend public school. I've talked with others around theses parts that attended church as I did growing up, like me, they say many of those that attended church with them, when they graduated high school, it seem they graduate church too. For MANY of them have never set foot in church again.

I feel that if it had not been for public school they would not have been lost to the world. Another though goes along with that, were they ever saved?

No doubt, public school in my days, just as it does today, contradicts God, and His Word.

• Members

Which one of you folks are willing to ponie up the money for a poor Christian family to send their children to a Christian school. If you aren't willing then watch who you condemn. Also, I've lived in an area where you couldn't find a half decent church for 100 square miles let alone a Christian school. But let me guess, the parents/parent should just get up and move, right?

• Members

I believe it is a sin to send your kids to public school. I've been challenged by family members regarding how far I take this. Let me first give the basis for my belief and then I'll expand on the problem. I believe it violates this verse:

Pro 19:27 Cease, my son, to hear the instruction that causeth to err from the words of knowledge.

It violates it because of the many ways the public schools will cause your children to err if they believe what is taught. If God says we shouldn't hear it, how much worse must it be for us to send our impressionable kids to be taught it. The biggies are evolution and humanism. Most serious-minded Bible believers would agree so far. The question I need to fully work out is whether it is a sin for all, or only those who can afford to send their kids to Christian school or home school. I understand many who say they cannot afford it probably could if they would quit smoking, paying for cable TV, having expensive hobbies etc. But, can I really tell a single mom that she's living in sin if she sends her kids to public school and truly cannot afford otherwise? My initial position was no. I can only tell people that if they can afford to they are in sin. But I was challenged that if it is a sin for one, it is a sin for all. I had to back track because if were income tax evasion, lying, cheating, adultery or drunkenness it would indeed be true for all.

Can somebody help me out here with the correct response (please include chapter and verse).

I think your misapplying a verse to get it to teach something that it isn't teaching. We need to be careful not to misuse verses to reach our own opinions. That verse is teaching that we should not "hear" bad instruction as in we should not heed it or take it to heart, not that it is a sin to listen to anything that may not be completely accurate.

What your doing is similar to if I were to take the following verse, a previous verse in the same chapter, and use it to say that God will reward someone for giving cash to the panhandler on the street corner.

"Proverbs19:17 He that hath pity upon the poor lendeth unto the LORD; and that which he hath given will he pay him again."

Obviously that would be abusing the meaning of the verse and other scriptures would clarify that is not a valid interpretation.

Now with that said I was homeschooled, and I do think that is generally the best way to go. I think that public schools can be spiritual dangerous for many reasons, false and worldly teaching being only only one of several. Frequently Christian schools are little better. However I do not think it is reasonable to flatly declare parents sending their kids to a public school a sin with nothing but some misapplied biblical evidence.

• Members

Seth, Do you think many churched children are lost to the world because of attending public school? They do teach stuff that contradicts the Bible.

Just some thoughts on the subject.

I feel there be many that could home school their children, and yes, I know to so that would be hardship for some. And sending children to a good Christina school would be difficult for many. Yet how much of a hardship is it to lose ones children to the world, and the devil? Would it be worth the sacrifice one would have to make in order to home school or send them to a Christian school to help keep from losing their children to the world

The Mennonites around here have their own school, it goes to the 8th grade I believe. They lose very few of their children to the world, I only know of 4 since they've been here that left them. The majority of them are upstanding citizens.

Since they come here in the late 60's I known of only 4 to 6 getting in any type of trouble. Most were minor, I recall 2 was money trouble, one was women trouble, and 1 of them was quite serious.

When a disaster comes, they're quicker to help those in need than anyone else in our area.

• Members

I've not yet a family that can't homeschool their children or work something out with their church for their children's education. When we set forth to obey God and honour His Word, God provides the means to do so. I've not known any Christian who was willing to make sacrifices so their children would not be cast into the "temple of Belial" who have regretted homeschooling their children or sending them to a biblical Christian school...and they all clearly see and acknowledge, to the glory of God, how much better off their children are.

One small church started their own school with members teaching different classes. Others have formed local homeschool groups which help one another in various ways so all are able to homeschool their children. Many churches are willing to help families send their children to biblical Christian schools.

Teaching, instructing and raising children is the job of parents, not the government. Scripture commands that our children be taught and instructed in His Word day and night. Scripture commands separation from the workers of iniquity, warns to stay away from bad company, commands separation from false teachings and false religions. Parents can't obey those commands and neither can children if they are in public schools.

Indeed, survey after survey indicats that "church kids" who attend public schools most often leave the church. When "church kids" who have attended public schools then go into secular college, even more totally reject Christianity. God commands separation for very good reasons.

• Members

The Bible also teaches that the second greatest commandment is to "Love thy neighbor as thyself." When involved, loving, caring, parents pull their children out of public school in mass, that leaves mostly children with uninvolved, uncaring, often very poor, lazy, parents, and causes the school to go downhill very rapidly.

I have lived in two towns. In the first, everyone send their children topublic school. The schools and community were strong. Yes there were problems, and there were problem students, but the involved parents worked to solve those problems together to build community. WHere I live now, most involved good parents have pulled their children out of public schools, leaving them to deterioroate.

Is that loving thy neighbor as thyself? Or is that looking after your own interest first and leaving their neighbor (children from unstable homes) to fend for themselves? Fortunately, there is a group that has been formed to reverse this trend and we are working to build up good public schools again.

Your assertion that it is a sin to send children to public schools is, quite frankly, absurd. There are good reasons not to, I recognize, but in most situations, good, local community schools are good for the community, the children and parents.

One more point. My parents sent me to a private Christian school when I was school aged. I can tell you that it was not immune to problems faced by public school. Drugs and alcohol were still prevelant. Teenagers still had sex. Kids in my school still smoked cigarrettes. The problems persisted, but the parents largely did not see it because "that kind of thing does not happen in a Christian school." I can also say that my school was so strict on its rules, that I saw many friends, after graduation, rebel and never return to church. These things happen in private and public schools alike.

What God calls us to be is involved parents. No matter what our choice as to education, we are to be involved, loving, to guide and lead our children as a shepherd would lead sheep, to train them and work with them to prepare them to work hard, earn a living by their own hands, to love others, to love God, etc.

Edited by kindofblue1977

• Administrators

John, I honestly don't know anything about where you live - but I've met A LOT of families who cannot homeschool. And families who cannot afford Christian school. No matter what.

Captain, if you believe that sending your children to a public school is a sin, then you'd best never do so. But, if you are a man, you are the head of your home only...each man must decide to do as God would have him. There are principles in scripture that would indicate that it is wisest to keep our kids out of a public school - but there are also instances where God purposely put young 'uns in with the heathen: the Little Maid (Naaman), Daniel and his 3 friends, Joseph. Granted, they were all at different ages, but they were plopped right down in the midst of evil. So, too, was Samuel. Even though he was taken to the temple, he grew up watching Eli's sons commit all kinds of wickedness. And God wanted him there. None of those I listed were anywhere near their home or their parental influence...

We personally would never (and didn't), but to be honest, many Christian schools are just as bad or worse than the public school. How can I say that? Well, I've had personal experience with some - as a student and as a teacher. There are things that go on in some Christian schools that are horrible. Yes, the type thing I'm talking about goes on in public schools, too, but at least in the public school, Christians know they are surrounded by unbiblical teaching and by kids who don't love the Lord. In a Christian school, sometimes the teaching is just a wee bit off, or the kids everyone hails as great kids are really bad - but no-one knows it except the kids. And that can harm the child spiritually.

• Members

The Bible also teaches that the second greatest commandment is to "Love thy neighbor as thyself." When involved, loving, caring, parents pull their children out of public school in mass, that leaves mostly children with uninvolved, uncaring, often very poor, lazy, parents, and causes the school to go downhill very rapidly.

I have lived in two towns. In the first, everyone send their children topublic school. The schools and community were strong. Yes there were problems, and there were problem students, but the involved parents worked to solve those problems together to build community. WHere I live now, most involved good parents have pulled their children out of public schools, leaving them to deterioroate.

Is that loving thy neighbor as thyself? Or is that looking after your own interest first and leaving their neighbor (children from unstable homes) to fend for themselves? Fortunately, there is a group that has been formed to reverse this trend and we are working to build up good public schools again.

Your assertion that it is a sin to send children to public schools is, quite frankly, absurd. There are good reasons not to, I recognize, but in most situations, good, local community schools are good for the community, the children and parents.

One more point. My parents sent me to a private Christian school when I was school aged. I can tell you that it was not immune to problems faced by public school. Drugs and alcohol were still prevelant. Teenagers still had sex. Kids in my school still smoked cigarrettes. The problems persisted, but the parents largely did not see it because "that kind of thing does not happen in a Christian school." I can also say that my school was so strict on its rules, that I saw many friends, after graduation, rebel and never return to church. These things happen in private and public schools alike.

What God calls us to be is involved parents. No matter what our choice as to education, we are to be involved, loving, to guide and lead our children as a shepherd would lead sheep, to train them and work with them to prepare them to work hard, earn a living by their own hands, to love others, to love God, etc.

Understand that the term "Homeschool" means just what the name implies. It is a parent or parents teaching their child at home. It is not the same as sending children to a "Christian school". I would not send mine to one of those either. Does the Bible ever tell us that it's the State's authority and responsibility to raise our children? Well, the Bible in many places does give fathers and mothers the responsibility to provide for their physical needs, but also to protect and teach.
......bring them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord. Ephesians 6:4 So you take them to church for what, three hours a week and tell them that God created them, but then let this ungodly World have them for the rest of the week, to fill their heads with garbage?

A few months back, there was a bill brought before the legislature, here in Florida, which was intended to provide a system which would make teachers more accountable. Teachers who had good performance would be rewarded and those who performed poorly would not. Whether the system would have worked, we can't be sure because our governor, Charlie Crist, vetoed it. While it was still being considered, the teachers of Florida had a Facebook page on which many of them were voicing their disapproval of the Bill. You would have been apalled at the hateful and filthy language many of those teachers were using on that Facebook page. ...and those are people teaching our kids. So I ask the question: Would you be willing to send your kids to a place where you can't supervise, where they would be in the care of ungodly reprobates who will curse and swear, say filthy things, teach them Humanism and radical political beliefs? And I promise you; they WILL be taught Evolution.

I realize some people can't homeschool and that is unfortunate. But like I said above, it has to be a conviction to make the decision, because it will cost money and great deal of time. We have been given the freedom to do it so why take freedom for granted? How much are your children worth? Edited by heartstrings

• Members

This is an interesting topic. I must ask what your motivation for addressing this topic? Condemnation or edification?

• Members

I've not yet a family that can't homeschool their children or work something out with their church for their children's education. When we set forth to obey God and honour His Word, God provides the means to do so. I've not known any Christian who was willing to make sacrifices so their children would not be cast into the "temple of Belial" who have regretted homeschooling their children or sending them to a biblical Christian school...and they all clearly see and acknowledge, to the glory of God, how much better off their children are.

One small church started their own school with members teaching different classes. Others have formed local homeschool groups which help one another in various ways so all are able to homeschool their children. Many churches are willing to help families send their children to biblical Christian schools.

Teaching, instructing and raising children is the job of parents, not the government. Scripture commands that our children be taught and instructed in His Word day and night. Scripture commands separation from the workers of iniquity, warns to stay away from bad company, commands separation from false teachings and false religions. Parents can't obey those commands and neither can children if they are in public schools.

Indeed, survey after survey indicats that "church kids" who attend public schools most often leave the church. When "church kids" who have attended public schools then go into secular college, even more totally reject Christianity. God commands separation for very good reasons.

John, We as a people have gotten lazy, and we have got use to the ways this world does things. That makes it hard for us to make a change, and to accept a change that would be right in the sight of God. And we will use every straw we can find, to defend the way the world does things so that we will not have to change.

The one thing I know for sure we as parents God has put us responsible for as fathers and mothers. That's teaching our children about the Savior and His Father, that is one thing most of us are a complete failure at. If we do that one thing properly, everything else will fall into place for the child or children, and we will not have to worry about teaching them to make a living. Yet if we omit that one thing, the father and mother are in great danger of losing their children to the world, even worse, the old Devil.

De 6:7 And thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up.
De 11:19 And ye shall teach them your children, speaking of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, when thou liest down, and when thou risest up.

No doubt, many of us refuse to do things God's way. And we measure our self against one another, and or the devils children, not saying it out loud, how much better we are than they, being smug, looking down our nose at others that we feel are less than us, and DISAGREE HIGHLY with anyone that happens to point out we are doing wrong in the sight of God.

2Co 10:12 For we dare not make ourselves of the number, or compare ourselves with some that commend themselves: but they measuring themselves by themselves, and comparing themselves among themselves, are not wise.

Ifs so sad, many Christian fathers and mothers make sure their children are educated in order to make a living in this world and have money, but we leave off the most important teachings. And or feel that attending church services once a week, or twice a week, or three times a week, and that fulfills their obligation in teaching their children about Jesus and the Father.

And I know well, there will be some that will dislike what I have stated, disagreeing with it, just as they were to your post.

Perhaps we forget, its all about Jesus!

• Members

My family and I were at a birthday party of a young man last night and of the 10+ teenagers there, the one young man there who has the respect of his peers and of adults as being an upright young man with a lot Christian character goes to public school (this was not the boy for whom the party was). The other 9+ there go to a Christian school in our area and over half of them have been into some pretty major trouble. One of which has actually been expelled from the Christian school. I commented to my husband last night on that very fact and we both agreed that while we plan to home school our children, that you can purpose in your heart to live right and do right while surrounded by all the influences of a public school (or any influences of the world for that matter). I've seen it both ways: home schooled children run straight to the world and public school students walk with the Lord. :twocents: Most of the Christian schools in our area are so close to the world you might as well send them to a public school anyway. again... :twocents: