• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

The sin of sending your kids to public schools

• Members

Yep - but it isn't up to any one of us to adamantly say that it's against God's Word to use the public school. We've gone round and round and round with this same argument. The plain fact of the matter is that each head of the household has to make that decision.

We can make any verse say anything we want it to say, but in the end, fathers have to decide.

Either the Bible clearly teaches separation or it doesn't. The Word of God is so clear if we actually take the Word as is. The Word doesn't specifically say anything about us or our children hanging out in bars either, but there are plenty of commands and principles in Scripture against this; and most of them (if not all) would apply to public schools as well.

Fathers don't have the liberty to interpret Scripture as they choose. We have to take the Word as God gave it to us and apply it accordingly.

Public schools are anti-Christian, teach or promote false religions, teach lies, promote that which is worldly, wicked and sinful; both directly and indirectly, etc. Most things Christians are to separate from are right there in the public school.

• Members

Yep - but it isn't up to any one of us to adamantly say that it's against God's Word to use the public school. We've gone round and round and round with this same argument. The plain fact of the matter is that each head of the household has to make that decision.

We can make any verse say anything we want it to say, but in the end, fathers have to decide.

I guess that's my whole point. I believe I can be adamant when I say it is against God's Word to use the public school based on the verse in my op. My only trouble was with how to handle those who are too poor and/or don't have time to home school.

• Members

I guess that's my whole point. I believe I can be adamant when I say it is against God's Word to use the public school based on the verse in my op. My only trouble was with how to handle those who are too poor and/or don't have time to home school.

Homeschooling can take very little money and we all have 24 hours a day.

When we obey God, in whatever it is, He will provide the means. Our duty is to obey, the results rest with God.

• Administrators

I agree, John, that there is much wrong with the public schools. But you nor I can remove the authority of the father. If he has prayed sincerely, and believes God would have him send his child(ren) to a public school, then we cannot gainsay that. As I have said more than once, I cannot condone public schools - and for biblical principles.

But the biblical principle of the father being the head cannot be ignored...and, just as we cannot tell a father which church to attend, what city to live in, nor can we determine for each family the schooling of their children.

It sounds nice to say that if a father is going to obey scripture, he won't put his kids in public school, but it isn't accurate: because each man is head of his own home.

• Administrators

Captain, you can be completely adamant about not using the public school. But you can't handle those who are too poor and/or don't have time to home school. You are not the head of any home but your own. And unless they come to you for help, it isn't your call.

And having 24 hours a day isn't always enough, John. Not everyone can home school, and it's wrong to make a person feel less spiritual than another person because they don't.

• Members

I agree, John, that there is much wrong with the public schools. But you nor I can remove the authority of the father. If he has prayed sincerely, and believes God would have him send his child(ren) to a public school, then we cannot gainsay that. As I have said more than once, I cannot condone public schools - and for biblical principles.

But the biblical principle of the father being the head cannot be ignored...and, just as we cannot tell a father which church to attend, what city to live in, nor can we determine for each family the schooling of their children.

It sounds nice to say that if a father is going to obey scripture, he won't put his kids in public school, but it isn't accurate: because each man is head of his own home.

That is like saying a father can decide whether it's okay for his kid to get drunk, attend a Mormon church, dress immodestly or anything else Scripture speaks clearly on.

God never tells a Christian to do what His Word already says not to do. God has already told us what not to do with regards to our children, as well as what we are to do, and no amount of praying about it will change that because God will not contradict His Word by telling some dads to violate several commands and principles of Scripture in order to send their children into a den of iniquity while telling other Christians they must obey the Word.

• Members

Captain, you can be completely adamant about not using the public school. But you can't handle those who are too poor and/or don't have time to home school. You are not the head of any home but your own. And unless they come to you for help, it isn't your call.

Lev 19:17 Thou shalt not hate thy brother in thine heart: thou shalt in any wise rebuke thy neighbor, and not suffer sin upon him.

• Members

Captain, you have no spiritual authority to decide what a father will decide for his family. You may explain your beliefs, but it isn't your decision.

I'm shocked that you can say something like that in response to that verse. Obviously I cannot physically force him, but I can do more than explain. I can rebuke. I can separate.

• Members

Either the Bible clearly teaches separation or it doesn't. The Word of God is so clear if we actually take the Word as is. The Word doesn't specifically say anything about us or our children hanging out in bars either, but there are plenty of commands and principles in Scripture against this; and most of them (if not all) would apply to public schools as well.

Fathers don't have the liberty to interpret Scripture as they choose. We have to take the Word as God gave it to us and apply it accordingly.

Public schools are anti-Christian, teach or promote false religions, teach lies, promote that which is worldly, wicked and sinful; both directly and indirectly, etc. Most things Christians are to separate from are right there in the public school.

By that logic it is wrong for a Christian to work for a secular company, work for the government, listen to the news and on and on. "Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers","come ye out from among them and be ye separate" and all that. Problem is that is improper logic. Like I said I don't think public schools are the best option and it isn't something I would recommended, but that doesn't make it automatically a sin.

If your flat "either the bible clearly teaches separation or it doesn't" was accurate Paul would have never written this:

"1 Corinthians 5:9-10 wrote unto you in an epistle not to company with fornicators: Yet not altogether with the fornicators of this world, or with the covetous, or extortioners, or with idolaters; for then must ye needs go out of the world."

Biblical separation is a lifestyle difference not isolation from every error that is in the world.

• Members

By that logic it is wrong for a Christian to work for a secular company, work for the government, listen to the news and on and on. "Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers","come ye out from among them and be ye separate" and all that. Problem is that is improper logic. Like I said I don't think public schools are the best option and it isn't something I would recommended, but that doesn't make it automatically a sin.

If your flat "either the bible clearly teaches separation or it doesn't" was accurate Paul would have never written this:

"1 Corinthians 5:9-10 wrote unto you in an epistle not to company with fornicators: Yet not altogether with the fornicators of this world, or with the covetous, or extortioners, or with idolaters; for then must ye needs go out of the world."

Biblical separation is a lifestyle difference not isolation from every error that is in the world.

Even if we agreed this issue doesn't fall under the general heading of "separation," public schools are still out based on the verse in my OP. It is instruction that causes to err.

• Members

Even if we agreed this issue doesn't fall under the general heading of "separation," public schools are still out based on the verse in my OP. It is instruction that causes to err.

I already responded to why your interpretation of that verse is a little off. It isn't hearing the error that is the problem, it is the taking heed to it and the believing of it. Still, if you maintain your initial view, do you ever listen to the news be it on the radio, TV, etc? Ever heard any "instruction that would cause to err" if you "heeded" it? The presumption that you can somehow completely avoid hearing any bad instruction and that it is a sin if you do is unreasonable and unrealistic. It also would of necessity lead to double standards since not only is that not what the bible is saying practically speaking it is impossible to do in this world. You will have to wait for heaven before you can reach a point where you will never have to listen to error.

• Members

I already responded to why your interpretation of that verse is a little off. It isn't hearing the error that is the problem, it is the taking heed to it and the believing of it. Still, if you maintain your initial view, do you ever listen to the news be it on the radio, TV, etc? Ever heard any "instruction that would cause to err" if you "heeded" it? The presumption that you can somehow completely avoid hearing any bad instruction and that it is a sin if you do is unreasonable and unrealistic. It also would of necessity lead to double standards since not only is that not what the bible is saying practically speaking it is impossible to do in this world. You will have to wait for heaven before you can reach a point where you will never have to listen to error.

If it is believing it that is the problem, why does it even have to be said? Seems like it would go without saying that you should believe the Bible. News is not instruction, by the way. You are mistreating that word.

• Members

If it is believing it that is the problem, why does it even have to be said? Seems like it would go without saying that you should believe the Bible.

How many times and in how many different ways does the bible say to praise the Lord, trust the Lord, believe the Lord, obey the Lord, etc.? All those things could be said to "go without saying" after the first few times at the very least, yet they are repeated over and over. Why? because it is important and God is reinforcing the point.

News is not instruction, by the way. You are mistreating that word.

Perhaps not in the strictest sense of the word, however, any type of "media bias" or spin is instruction be it successful or unsuccessful. I think it is a given and most people would agree that as a whole the "news" often has some sort of "spin" or goal when a news story is presented. Just a fact of life.

• Members

How many times and in how many different ways does the bible say to praise the Lord, trust the Lord, believe the Lord, obey the Lord, etc.? All those things could be said to "go without saying" after the first few times at the very least, yet they are repeated over and over. Why? because it is important and God is reinforcing the point.

Perhaps not in the strictest sense of the word, however, any type of "media bias" or spin is instruction be it successful or unsuccessful. I think it is a given and most people would agree that as a whole the "news" often has some sort of "spin" or goal when a news story is presented. Just a fact of life.

OK. I'll give you the goes without saying part in not valid. I disagree about media bias being instruction. You are way off there. Really seems like you are trying to get out of the obvious interpretation. Is that possible?