• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Jack Van Impe

• Members

I've not seen or read much from Jack Van Impe since the early 80s. From what I know, he used to be far more conservative than he is today. In any event, I wanted to ask a few questions in case anyone here may have the answers.

The other night I couldn't sleep so I checked the Christian channels to see if anything was on. I found the Jack Van Impe program with his wife Rexella speaking. At first I thought it must be on old taped message because Rexella looked younger than the last time I had caught a view of her on TV. No, it was a current program, I can only assume Rexella has had some cosmetic surgery because she looked much younger than her age while I was shocked at how much Jack's age really showed.

Anyway, not the point. Jack was hitting hard against Rob Bell and his denial of hell and other unbiblical teachings. In fact, the entire program, with a major exception I'll address in a moment, was very good, solid on Scripture, hammered home the importance of knowing and holding to sound biblical doctrine.

However, Jack sited Pope John Paul II, quoting something he had said regarding the reality of hell. Jack made it a point to declare that John Paul agreed with him and the Bible on hell, and even went further to declare that John Paul was a man who knew and stood upon the Bible! He also quoted from an early pope that had denounced Origin for his dismisall of a literal hell. On another occasion in the program when he addressed the virgin birth of Christ, which apparently is something else Rob Bell disagrees with, it seemed he went overboard in proclaiming the importance of Mary.

Question: Didn't Jack Van Impe used to teach the RCC was wicked and would be that wicked church spoken of in Revelation? When did Jack become so pro-Catholic and why?

His pro-Catholic comments really shocked me as I thought he used to preach against the RCC :puzzled3:

• Administrators

Van Impe was indeed more adamant about certain biblical truths in the past. However, he was "hurt" by fundamentalists. I put "hurt" in quotes because, although that does indeed happen, so often it's just a word to excuse becoming ecumenical...which Van Impe, sadly, has become. Years ago he said that the pope was a good Christian man and he (Van Impe) often refers to his Catholic brothers and sisters in Christ.

• Administrators

Early in his ministry Jack Van Impe was in our camp with our beliefs. I know, he sat next to me in my house. I'm not going to get into the whole story, but he left our camp for more money. He was a little blindsided by it at the time, but went along with it.

• Members

One of the best sermons on hell I have ever heard was preached by a young Jack van Impe. (preached over 40 years ago). I used to love to listen to him preach, but since he started his television broadcast, I hardly ever listen to him. His message is still an enthusiastic message, but it has been watered down due to his ecumenism.

• Members

The idea of more money has ruined many preachers, and they're still being ruined by it. No doubt Mr. Jack has taken the wrong road at some point, the sad thing is when one does as he, many that followed them when they were on the right road, will follow them down the wrong road blindly.

• Members

Early in his ministry Jack Van Impe was in our camp with our beliefs. I know, he sat next to me in my house. I'm not going to get into the whole story, but he left our camp for more money. He was a little blindsided by it at the time, but went along with it.

That's what I thought but wasn't 100% certain. I listened to and read some of his stuff in the very early 80s. There was a great sermon on the reality of the devil and how Christians are to walk in victory through Christ that I can still remember.

Didn't Jack get caught up in some of that stuff Jerry Falwell was doing at the time and start leaning away from his roots and then continued in that way chasing the popularity, fame or money?

It was really discouraging to catch his program the other day, after all these years, and hear him still have such a zeal and fire for what he was saying (and he was correct on hell, the virgin birth and the importance of doctrine) but to be so obviously bowing to Catholics and wording things so as to be clearly appeal to Catholics. That ruined the program and made it so what would have been a great message to share was made of no use. :icon_sad:

• Administrators

A long, long time ago when my dad was a pastor, he hosted a Jack Van Impe crusade in Connecticut. At the time Jack Van Impe said he would not do TV. Well, his PR man (I'm not sure his exact position) kept trying to get Van Impe to go on TV and Jack kept refusing. His PR man went behind his back and brought the TV cameras in during one of the crusades. Jack was not happy about it, but since the cameras were already there he went ahead with it. There is nothing wrong with being on TV, but when Jack saw the money he made during that crusade because of the TV, he started leaving the IFB camp to make more money.

• Members

A long, long time ago when my dad was a pastor, he hosted a Jack Van Impe crusade in Connecticut. At the time Jack Van Impe said he would not do TV. Well, his PR man (I'm not sure his exact position) kept trying to get Van Impe to go on TV and Jack kept refusing. His PR man went behind his back and brought the TV cameras in during one of the crusades. Jack was not happy about it, but since the cameras were already there he went ahead with it. There is nothing wrong with being on TV, but when Jack saw the money he made during that crusade because of the TV, he started leaving the IFB camp to make more money.

That's a sad story and a warning for all of us to BEWARE! If possible, the Enemy will use those closest to us in order to get at us. As well, no matter how strong we may stand against something and no matter how sure we are we would never give in to a particular sin, if we let our guard down the Enemy will surely hit hard right there.

• Members

I've not seen or read much from Jack Van Impe since the early 80s. From what I know, he used to be far more conservative than he is today. In any event, I wanted to ask a few questions in case anyone here may have the answers.

The other night I couldn't sleep so I checked the Christian channels to see if anything was on. I found the Jack Van Impe program with his wife Rexella speaking. At first I thought it must be on old taped message because Rexella looked younger than the last time I had caught a view of her on TV. No, it was a current program, I can only assume Rexella has had some cosmetic surgery because she looked much younger than her age while I was shocked at how much Jack's age really showed.

Anyway, not the point. Jack was hitting hard against Rob Bell and his denial of hell and other unbiblical teachings. In fact, the entire program, with a major exception I'll address in a moment, was very good, solid on Scripture, hammered home the importance of knowing and holding to sound biblical doctrine.

However, Jack sited Pope John Paul II, quoting something he had said regarding the reality of hell. Jack made it a point to declare that John Paul agreed with him and the Bible on hell, and even went further to declare that John Paul was a man who knew and stood upon the Bible! He also quoted from an early pope that had denounced Origin for his dismisall of a literal hell. On another occasion in the program when he addressed the virgin birth of Christ, which apparently is something else Rob Bell disagrees with, it seemed he went overboard in proclaiming the importance of Mary.

Question: Didn't Jack Van Impe used to teach the RCC was wicked and would be that wicked church spoken of in Revelation? When did Jack become so pro-Catholic and why?

His pro-Catholic comments really shocked me as I thought he used to preach against the RCC :puzzled3:

There are many fundamentals of the faith that the Catholics believe in. Just because we believe in the Trinity does not make a person pro- Catholic, anymore that believing that there is a hell. All that means is that Jack agreed with them where they line out with Scripture but I am sure if they addressed the unbiblical belief systems that he would not agree with them.

• Members

There are many fundamentals of the faith that the Catholics believe in. Just because we believe in the Trinity does not make a person pro- Catholic, anymore that believing that there is a hell. All that means is that Jack agreed with them where they line out with Scripture but I am sure if they addressed the unbiblical belief systems that he would not agree with them.

Before the Catholics can be correct on anything, they have to be saved, they do not teach how one is saved, now, they teach many different paths to salvation, yet they rule out on is saved by grace through faith in Jesus Christ.

They teach salvations comes by church membership, baptizing, through the Queen of Heaven that is Mary the mother of Jesus, by partaking of the Eucharist, by being good works, along with a few other paths.

So actually they do not keep many of the fundamentals of faith. They are nothing but false teachers.

• Administrators

Right. And when IFB spoke to him about it, he wrote a book about how they hurt him.

• Members

Jack wasn't simply pointing out an issue that even a pope agreed with him on, he specifically declared that Pope John Paul II was a great Christian who knew the Bible better than most and was solid on the Word of God. The evidence as a whole proves this statement to be false.

As I also pointed out, at one point in the program when he discussed the virgin birth of Christ, he made it a point to speak of Mary in terms Catholics use. Jack lifted Mary up to an exaulted position that is unbiblical.

Sure, Catholics believe in Jesus, but so do Mormons and Muslims, and yet none of them hold to the right (biblical) view of Jesus.

• Members

I used to watch Jack when I was younger In fact I made my first profession watching his show and even wrote in for the First Steps in a New Direction booklets they offer. Years later after not watching him for awhile. I heard him say in so many words that he used to believe a certain way but was taken off the air Now I don't believe that way and am back on. I assumed he was speaking of the Catholic thing. As for Jack just agreeing with a few quotes. I have heard him call Pope John that most holy man of God when someone referred that he might be the Antichrist. Off and on in the last several years I have heard him speak of Catholics being brothers and sisters in Christ . God bless. :)

• Members

I used to watch Jack when I was younger In fact I made my first profession watching his show and even wrote in for the First Steps in a New Direction booklets they offer. Years later after not watching him for awhile. I heard him say in so many words that he used to believe a certain way but was taken off the air Now I don't believe that way and am back on. I assumed he was speaking of the Catholic thing. As for Jack just agreeing with a few quotes. I have heard him call Pope John that most holy man of God when someone referred that he might be the Antichrist. Off and on in the last several years I have heard him speak of Catholics being brothers and sisters in Christ . God bless. :)

That pretty much mirrors what I was remembering and thinking. Jack seemed good on the Word and such back then, but when I heard him more recently he was building up Pope John Paul II and using terms that were obviously put forth specifically to appease or appeal to Catholics.

What a shame to see one who once knew and taught the truth, fall away from that to the point of uplifting a false religion and pointing folks to an avid Mary worshipper as being a great man of God. :icon_sad: