• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

The fallacy of focusing upon the "10/40 Window"

• Members

Pretty much any time there is a missions conference somebody mentions the "10/40 Window". I have heard that term for years without really understanding it. It is my belief that focusing upon the "10/40 Window" is a waste of time, money, and resources. We as independent Baptists have been sold a bill of goods that has no lasting eternal value. Let me explain what I mean and hopefully you will come away with a better understanding of the fallacy of focusing upon the "10/40 Window".

What is missions?

Is it feeding the poor?
Is it building hospitals?
Is it building orphanages?
Is it staffing schools?
Is it clothing people?

The answer to all of these questions is "no" and yet that becomes the focus of those who focus upon the 10/40 Window.

So what is missions? It is taking the gospel to a lost and dying world. How can we fulfill the great commission on a daily basis? By reaching the "world" that encompasses our personal lives. Everytime we venture out into "our world" we have a responsibility to take the gospel to the lost and dying people around us. So tell me, would you give $25 so that your "world" can be reached with the gospel? Why not? Many people are moved to tears when they see the "hopeless" condition of those living in the "10/40 Window" and are more than willing to give to such "missionary" efforts. Are we moved to tears when we see the "hopeless" condition of our neighbors and are we willing to financially support a missionary effort in our own back yard?

Let's follow the example of the apostles:

Acts 5:42 - "And daily in the temple, and in every house, they ceased not to teach and preach Jesus Christ."

Edited by brosmith

• Members

Good points. I agree there has been far too much of an emphasis upon the 10/40 window. While those in that area are in need of the Gospel, so is the rest of the world. While it's good for Christians to help with those things you mentioned, they are of no real value unless the Gospel is being preached as well.

To be fair, there are some working in this area of the world that have as their primary focus the spreading of the Gospel. Unfortunately, there are also many more who are focused upon "good works" that, while much needed, is not what is primarily needed. Many seem to believe that "doing good" will bring others to Christ without having to evangelize. That's not biblical.

The point of how we so often ignore those in our own area is also a good one. I've tried talking with Christians about this many times but it seems most don't want to personally engage, they don't want to risk "offending" someone they know, they believe everyone in their area hears the Gospel already through TV, radio, and church, etc.

Our church supports a missionary in India which does personal local evangelism and also trains local pastors and church leaders to do missionary work in their areas. We also support a local missionary who travels across a large area on foot spreading the Gospel.

At the same time, we've been presented many appeals by others for support but they failed to meet what I would call true missionary standards with regards to their goals so we don't support them.

• Members

The other day I was talking to my wife about this. A past pastor of the church her father and mother were members of, that did not pan out at all, he is now in Africa as a missionary. He left a lot to be desire as a pastor and was only with them a matter of weeks.

Now he has been in Africa ever since they sent him walking being a missionary. I read some of his reports from time to time.

To me it seems he is squeezing, or trying to squeeze all money out of everyone he can.

Should not missionaries that are sent out by churches found churches, churches that become self-supporting, and not feed off of the sending churches for more than 20 years, for 4 wheel drive trucks and their daily bread?

Maybe someone can enlighten me, yet it seems those churches founded by the apostles sent out by Jesus, become self-supporting churches.

• Members

Yes, local churches should be founded and they should strive to become self-supporting as soon as possible.

There are problems with some missionaries who view being a missionary as a way to make a living. I remember for years there were reports of missionaries in India using the money sent to them to live high. The reports were ignored for many years. When someone was finally sent to investigate, the first missionary family they visited was living in an exclusive area of a city, they had several house and yard servants (all paid for from the money sent the missionaries from supporting churches). They had a nice car and a tiny office in town that the husband would visit a couple times a month. The wife spent her time in social events. Other than the husband having some donated items taken by some locals to some area churches every so often, there was nothing of a missionary nature being done at all.

When they looked further into this, they found this family wasn't alone, many other missionary families were doing much the same thing.

While I understand that many missionaries need support from us, it seems most of them have forgotten the conditions the Apostle Paul and so many missionaries from earlier times were willing to put up with for the joy of spreading the Gospel. They are not content, as Paul says we should be, but wanting to live at standards often much higher than the local populations. When reading of missionaries from earlier centuries it's common to read of how they financed as much of their activities as they could themselves, and then they lived similarly as the local populations, which meant little expense.

Indeed, we need to be careful when supporting missionaries. We need to know just what they are doing, how they are living and the goals they are working towards.

And absolutely, PRAISE GOD for those missionaries who are out there doing the work of the Lord for His glory and honour!!!

• Members

I agree, some are doing things properly, those that don't make it hard for all.

Yes, it's difficult to get some folks to support missionaries because they've heard the reports about the bad missionaries. Then there are those who unknowingly send millions of dollars a year to bad missionaries that waste the money which, if they were not there, would most likely have gone to the good missionaries. Worse of all, the locals who see how the bad missionaries are have their image of Christ and Christianity tarnished.

Nothing new, but it's a real shame.

Here is a letter from the Carney's recently arrived in Malaysia.

May 20, 2011

So today, I had lunch with Master Lee. The fare was quite delicious really, even with the absence of meat. Our vegetarian entrees included vegetables in curry, silky tofu in vinegar sauce, and tomatoes and cabbage in a sweet and sour sauce. Eight of us found a place at the round table, with the dishes spinning in the center, served family style. Lau Kwan, a kind and generous man that I am trying to win to Christ, was the host. His wife, Sue Lin, and their two sons were with us. Jacquelyn, a strong Christian lady from our church, and Diane and I filled up the table. Oh, and let’s not forget Master Lee—the Taoist priest.

The day started early with a call from Lau Kwan. “David…today is Buddha’s birthday and the children are off of school. Would you like to join us to see some sights and meet a friend?” The answer had already been decided, as I had been asking the Lord for more opportunities to share the gospel with Lau Kwan. In the previous week, he had guided us to his farm in the Cameron Highlands—a beautiful stretch of mountains about an hour from Ipoh. Lau Kwan spent twenty years in the US and Canada. He is a highly intelligent man who claims to follow no religion, only the dictates of his conscience.

After picking up Jacquelyn, we found ourselves bouncing around in Lau Kwan’s old van, headed to the outskirts of Ipoh. We pulled up in front of a towering mountain that had a massive structure built into the mouth of a cave. The ornate tiled roof with the oriental façade quickly identified itself as a Buddhist temple. Master Lee, the friend that Lau Kwan wanted us to meet, was the resident Taoist priest. When I say resident, I mean that literally, as He lives in the cave with His wife and family. His great grandfather built the temple in the 1800’s and it has been passed through the generations to Master Lee.

Master Lee was dressed in the plain gray embroidered frock and pants of the priesthood. The official black cap, with two long ribbons flowing down his back, adorned his grey-haired head. A few long scraggly hairs formed a goatee that dropped from his chin. He is a kind and gentle man, much like you would expect from a Taoist priest. If a life of service and compassion could get one to Heaven, he would certainly have a seat at the table. Unfortunately, we know that is not nearly enough.

Needless, to say, we received a personal guided tour of the temple. Leading us into the depths of the cave, we entered into a darkness that was more spiritual than physical. The strange and imposing idols revealed the true nature of their heritage—the spirits of fallen angels lay not so deeply concealed behind the paint and plaster. Jacquelyn, rescued from Buddhism by the grace and love of Jesus Christ, shuddered at the sights of the idols and the scent of the burning incense.

Master Lee led us up numerous steps carved from the rock to a locked door piled high with boards and junk. Removing the obstacles, he led us up several more flights of steps until we surfaced at the top of the mountain. The view from the vista was gorgeous, were it not for the hideous “gods” that shared the space with us. All along the path, Master Lee had used a laser pointer to outline the various animals and manifestations of Buddha that revealed themselves in the crevices of the cave walls. His imagination was as clever as he was kind.

So after the “tour”, we sat at the table in a Chinese restaurant, listening as Lau Kwan and Master Lee discussed some pressing spiritual thoughts. Lau Kwan is “always learning, yet never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.” A few minutes into the conversation, I asked Jacquelyn to translate for me. (Master Lee speaks only in Cantonese.) I told him that I deeply appreciated his hospitality and I was impressed by his creativity in identifying images in the stalactites and stalagmites of the cave. I revealed that I was, however, concerned by one image that was missing. I looked intently into the priest’s eyes and said, “Master Lee, I searched the walls of your cave diligently, but I did not see Jesus Christ. Is He not welcome in your cave?” The priest laughed gently and said that perhaps one could see what they wished to see in the walls. He said that He would search more thoroughly when he returned.

Digging deeper into the issue at hand, I asked Master Lee what he thought of Jesus Christ. (I watched the color drain from Lau Kwan’s face. He laughed a nervous little laugh and questioned if we were almost ready to go.) The priest declared that Jesus Christ was fine for the West but not for Asia. To that I countered that Christ was more Asian than Western. Sensing that the priest was struggling to stay above water, the Spirit led me to take him in over his head. I acknowledged that Christianity is indeed incompatible with Taoist and Buddhist belief. “After all, Jesus Christ claims an exclusive relationship with God—He is the only begotten of the creator and the only person ever sent to earth to speak for God, and the only source of truth.” I was fearful that this would conclude my conversation with the priest.

To my surprise, Master Lee stated that He had a Bible back in the cave and had read some of its pages. Seeing an open door, I asked if I might come again and talk with him more about the Bible and Christ. He smiled from ear to ear, and scratching the wiry strands of beard on his chin, said he would be most pleased.

The trip back with Lau Kwan was pensive. He broke the silence with the thought that either the priest would convert me or I would convert the priest. I just laughed quietly. Fifteen minutes after Lau Kwan had dropped us off at our apartment, he called. “David, you left your bag in my van.” “Yes, my friend, I know. It looks like we must meet again.” “Yes,” he queried. Then he laughed a nervous little laugh.

Maybe you could add them to your prayer list along with Lau Kwan and Master Lee.

• Members

Our Church is in its annual Missions Conference this week. While I have never heard the term "10/40 Window" in our conferences, there is one term that I hear each year and it irks me to no end because I don't believe that it is a biblical doctrine. (although the visiting missionaries certainly try to use Scripture to say it is)

That term is "Faith Promise."

I find no biblical support for the doctrine of faith promise. The first message that is preached during these conferences is always the same. The story of the woman who fed the prophet with the last bit of meal and the last bit of oil and God blessed her giving.

While I believe that this event did indeed happen, it had nothing to do with missions... it was feeding the man of God and God blessing the woman and her son.

These conferences have the congregant promise to give a certain amount a week/month/year to missions. I have no problem giving to missions, don't get me wrong. What I have a problem with is promising to give a specific amount over the next year.

Suppose emergencies arise at home and the money is needed? My Bible tells me if we don't provide for our household, we are worse than infidels. (paraphrasing here)

So if an emergency arises and the money is needed, then there is a dilemma. Either we use the money to take care of the family (which is what we should do) or we neglect the family and fulfill the promise made to give that money elsewhere.

Now, if we break the promise, we are wrong, for God says in His Word that when we vow a vow we are to keep it. But if we keep the promise, we then identify ourselves as being worse than an infidel.

Either/or we are in the wrong.

I do not believe filling out a card, telling someone we pledge to give 'x' amount of money a week/month/year is faith at all. I believe it is foolishness.

What about the msisions board? Where is their faith? In God? or in our pledge? Looks like it is in our pledge. "Well, Brother so-and-so pledged to give 'x' amount of money, so we know we can send 'x' amount this month."

No, I do not believe Faith Promise is biblical at all.

• Members

I agree but there are many today who see no problem with it and rely upon this tactic. God will provide for His work without such gimmicks. One thing some mission boards have a difficult time with is the idea that if they don't have enough money to do everything they want to do, perhaps it's a sign they are not supposed to do some of those things; or the time isn't right.

What happened to taking one day at a time, make plans based upon what you have and trust God.

On a side note: the verse dealing with Christians providing for their own is in the context of Christians providing for their extended families, which would include aunts, uncles, nieces and nephews. This is an area most all American Christians fail to follow.

• Members

Many of todays children, and many of yesterday children, when they grew up and left home they felt they had not obligations whatsoever to their family. How do I know this? Because some have told me this.

Nursing homes, they are good, if used properly, but sad to say many children place their elderly parents in a nursing home way before they're truly nursing home patients. They do this for one reason, they do not want to fool with them, and they want to get them out of the way.

I know of one such couple that did this so they could move into the husband fathers home.

And whose fault is this, some of the time its the parents fault.

I honestly do not understand how any child could do their birth parents in that manner. My parents were not my birth parents, and there is no way I could have done them as I've seen others do their birth parents.

To many of todays people, its all about self.

• Members

I personally don't see faith promise as a bad thing, but then those I've seen use it don't take it too far. They basically say, "missions giving is important. Pray about how much God would have you give this year." And that's about it. If it goes much further than that, I might have trouble with it. But I am curious about how it got started. Does anyone know with any certainty where the whole thing originated? Obviously not the New Testament. Just guessing, I would think it would be something Lee Roberson-ish.

Edited by Captain Claptrap

I personally don't see faith promise as a bad thing, but then those I've seen use it don't take it too far. They basically say, "missions giving is important. Pray about how much God would have you give this year." And that's about it. If it goes much further than that, I might have trouble with it. But I am curious about how it got started. Does anyone now with any certainty where the whole thing originated? Obviously not the New Testament. Just guessing, I would think it would be something Lee Roberson-ish.

There is nothing wrong, unspiritual, unorthodox, unscriptural, etc. about "Faith Promise" giving for missions. You get alone with God (not the members of this board).

Then ask God what He would have you give for missions AND ask God to provide that ammount for you to give during the year. You don't tell the preacher, you don't tell the deacons, you don't tell the members of this board what the Lord has laid on your heart. If you don't have faith in God for this don't make a faith promise. I have no problem making a faith promise that He will provide an ammount for me to channel to our churches missionaries.

No one has to feel bad about not using faith promise or using faith promise for giving to missions. But no one needs to be told trusting God is unscriptural either.

• Members

I personally don't see faith promise as a bad thing, but then those I've seen use it don't take it too far. They basically say, "missions giving is important. Pray about how much God would have you give this year." And that's about it. If it goes much further than that, I might have trouble with it. But I am curious about how it got started. Does anyone know with any certainty where the whole thing originated? Obviously not the New Testament. Just guessing, I would think it would be something Lee Roberson-ish.

From what I can tell, Faith Promise started with J. Oswald Smith. Google it.