• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Study examines motives behind Santa myth

• Members

I beleived in Santa when I was little. But my wife and I never told our kids there was a Santa, and we explained to them that it was false. I figured if we lied to them about Santa, and they later found out it wasn't real, they would conclude that Jesus wasn't either.
A little child can and will believe just about anything and, to be saved, a grown person must believe just like a little child does.
Most people who do it probably see no danger, but I believe it's a terrible sin to lie to little kids about Santa, the Easter bunny, the tooth fairy, or anything else.

I believed in Santa...when I was very young. I got up in the middle of the night on Christmas Eve (actually, after falling asleep :lol ) to find my parents bringing the gifts out of the attic. That was the end of that!

My 17 year old son was always afraid of Santa, the Easter Bunny, and just about every "life size" thing dressed up in a costume. The last picture I have of him is (at almost age 2) lying flat, screaming his head off, and attempting to get of off the man's lap. :lol:

The studies also analyzed the reaction of the children once they discovered the jolly old elf wasn't real. More than 22 percent in the 1896 study admitted to being disappointed compared with 39 percent in the 1979 study. But only 2 percent and 6 percent, respectively, felt betrayed.

Interesting.

Most people who do it probably see no danger' date=' but I believe it's a terrible sin to lie to little kids about Santa, the Easter bunny, the tooth fairy, or anything else.[/quote']

:goodpost:

• Members

I told my son about the story of St. Nick and how he came to be. I also told him how parents carry on his traditions, and that there is nothing is more magical than the parents who love them. And the biggest love of all is Christ. But I don't teach him the Santa lie,

But you know, people complained how Christians ruined Christmas as far as the Santa thing. But I don't think it is the Christians' fault really. It is the Atheists who kept using the "I believed in Santa" argument all the time as if it is the ONLY reason why they don't believe in God. It made some Christians like my husband think twice about using the Santa lie. my hubby was going to keep Santa in his house because it is fun. Then someone used the "I believed in Santa" argument on him and that's when he decided he should not lie about Santa. And he had other reasons too why he changed his mind.

But you know' date=' people complained how Christians ruined Christmas as far as the Santa thing. But I don't think it is the Christians' fault really. It is the Atheists who kept using the "I believed in Santa" argument all the time as if it is the ONLY reason why they don't believe in God.[/quote']

Yes! Great point, Angie!

• Members

Santa Claus was invented by retailers for one main purpose - sales! Santa Claus appeals to a child's inate greed - I have been very good so give me lots of toys! There are lots of ADULTS out there who also have this type of greed and believe they DESERVE more than everyone else because they are better than everyone else. Snopes has a good article about how it mainly came about in the 1800s and then became commercialized in the 1900s by the retail industry including Coke-Cola. Everyone always complains about how commercialized Christmas has become but we have to realize that for at least the last couple of hundred years - Clause-mas (as my dad calls it) has been strictly for the retail industry! http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/santa.asp