• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

1 John 1:9

• Members

Many people think that if they do not confess their sin, according to 1 Jn. 1:9, then they die with sin in their lives. What about Calvary? Aren't ALL our sins forgiven there, past, present and future? To teach or believe that we must confess our sin is to remind God of something He has forgotten; it also denies the efficiency of Calvary.

Could this verse refer back to v.5, meaning that this is a part of the message that we are to share with unbelievers? (Or those in the church that are not true believers)

• Members

In a way, the saved person that has un-confessed sin, does die in their sins. That does not mean they lose their salvation, it means they might only be saved as by fire, that they lose rewards. 1 Corinthians 3:12-15.

Plus, a person that is saved, that has turned to sin, loses their prayer line to God, if they confess their sins per 1 John 1:9, the will be cleaned and the prayer line will be restored. Plus if they will do this God would not have to chasten them. Although sins may be forgiven, there may be lasting consequences. Some seem to think forgiveness always removes consequences, and example, look at the consequences of David's adultery.

Of course it can be used towards the lost person as well.

• Members

As new creatures in Christ we are to walk in the Spirit, not in the flesh. Of course we can't perfectly do this so there are times when we sin. We have to acknowledge this, confess and repent in order to restore our right relationship (not our position as saved) with God.

When we accept Christ all our sins are forgiven and we are eternally saved. Then we have the rest of our lives to pursue holiness as Scripture commands. We can't do this unless we are willing to acknowledge when we sin, to confess our sin before God and repent, so we may continue to grow in the Lord.

The confession of sin in First John 1:9 is not about salvation, it's about our relationship with God through Christ.

• Members

true John, but there are many who think that if they do not confess their sin before they die, they will perish in hell. I am afraid we sometimes make it sound that way too.

That's right, and it's important that we are clear when we use this verse or discuss it.

• Members

Many people think that if they do not confess their sin, according to 1 Jn. 1:9, then they die with sin in their lives. What about Calvary? Aren't ALL our sins forgiven there, past, present and future? To teach or believe that we must confess our sin is to remind God of something He has forgotten; it also denies the efficiency of Calvary.

Could this verse refer back to v.5, meaning that this is a part of the message that we are to share with unbelievers? (Or those in the church that are not true believers)

I think that might be a dangerous place to be. Could you imagine living with a wife and having a spat and yet never saying "I'm sorry"? I mean, we made our vows, she knows I love her, why should I have to state the obvious?

If I offend the Lord by my actions and I ask him to forgive me I am not denying the efficacy of Calvary. That in and of itself is ludicrous my friend. The Bible has plenty of verses that tell us to confess our faults one to another , to the Lord and to not cover our sins.

Try Psalms 32:3-5, try Proverbs 28:13. How about 1 John 1:10? Right there in the context.
I want to stay clean with the Lord. I want to be an object of his favor. I confess my sins to him and he is faithful to forgive me, cleanse me from all sin.

I would say the verse is for believers and could be applied just as faithfully to a lost man or woman to encourage them to seek the cleansing power of the blood of Jesus. Edited by Calvary