• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Jeremiah Prophecy of Millennial Reign?

Guest "I am chief"

I read this during morning devotions. I believe it refers to the 1000 Yr. reign.
Jeremiah 12:14-17
14 Thus saith the LORD against all mine evil neighbours, that touch the inheritance which I have caused my people Israel to inherit; Behold, I will pluck them out of their land, and pluck out the house of Judah from among them.
15 And it shall come to pass, after that I have plucked them out I will return, and have compassion on them, and will bring them again, every man to his heritage, and every man to his land.
16 And it shall come to pass, if they will diligently learn the ways of my people, to swear by my name, The LORD liveth; as they taught my people to swear by Baal; then shall they be built in the midst of my people.
17 But if they will not obey, I will utterly pluck up and destroy that nation, saith the LORD.

What do you think...has this been fulfilled yet?

If not fulfilled what other time could it be?

• Members

While many of the OT prophecies are of a glorious future for Israel, which some see as the millennium, some as the Gospel age, & all as the NH&NE, we need always to look at the context, including the circumstances of the prophecy. The prophets prophesied primarily to their generation, often with a Messianic fulfilment in view.

Jeremiah was prophesying to a nation under judgement. First the northern kingdom was carried away by the Assyrians, then Judah by the Babylonians. The surrounding nations took advantage. e.g. Psa 137:7 Remember, O LORD, the children of Edom in the day of Jerusalem; who said, Rase [it], rase [it, even] to the foundation thereof.

After the return, we read of the opposition of the Samaritans to the rebuilding in Ezra & Nehemiah, & the related prophecies in Haggai & Zechariah. Zechariah has similar warnings & promises for the people who took possession of the land.

Zec 1:15 And I am very sore displeased with the heathen [that are] at ease: for I was but a little displeased, and they helped forward the affliction.
16 Therefore thus saith the LORD; I am returned to Jerusalem with mercies: my house shall be built in it, saith the LORD of hosts, and a line shall be stretched forth upon Jerusalem.

Zec 2:8 ¶ For thus saith the LORD of hosts; After the glory hath he sent me unto the nations which spoiled you: for he that toucheth you toucheth the apple of his eye.
9 For, behold, I will shake mine hand upon them, and they shall be a spoil to their servants: and ye shall know that the LORD of hosts hath sent me.
10 ¶ Sing and rejoice, O daughter of Zion: for, lo, I come, and I will dwell in the midst of thee, saith the LORD.
11 And many nations shall be joined to the LORD in that day, and shall be my people: and I will dwell in the midst of thee, and thou shalt know that the LORD of hosts hath sent me unto thee.

These were realised by the implementation of the great commission. I do not think the Samaritans & the surrounding nations recognised Israel as the people of God, nor joined with them, during the intertestamental period.

While many of the OT prophecies are of a glorious future for Israel, which some see as the millennium, some as the Gospel age, & all as the NH&NE, we need always to look at the context, including the circumstances of the prophecy. The prophets prophesied primarily to their generation, often with a Messianic fulfilment in view.

Jeremiah was prophesying to a nation under judgement. First the northern kingdom was carried away by the Assyrians, then Judah by the Babylonians. The surrounding nations took advantage. e.g. Psa 137:7 Remember, O LORD, the children of Edom in the day of Jerusalem; who said, Rase [it], rase [it, even] to the foundation thereof.

After the return, we read of the opposition of the Samaritans to the rebuilding in Ezra & Nehemiah, & the related prophecies in Haggai & Zechariah. Zechariah has similar warnings & promises for the people who took possession of the land.

Zec 1:15 And I am very sore displeased with the heathen [that are] at ease: for I was but a little displeased, and they helped forward the affliction.
16 Therefore thus saith the LORD; I am returned to Jerusalem with mercies: my house shall be built in it, saith the LORD of hosts, and a line shall be stretched forth upon Jerusalem.

Zec 2:8 ¶ For thus saith the LORD of hosts; After the glory hath he sent me unto the nations which spoiled you: for he that toucheth you toucheth the apple of his eye.
9 For, behold, I will shake mine hand upon them, and they shall be a spoil to their servants: and ye shall know that the LORD of hosts hath sent me.
10 ¶ Sing and rejoice, O daughter of Zion: for, lo, I come, and I will dwell in the midst of thee, saith the LORD.
11 And many nations shall be joined to the LORD in that day, and shall be my people: and I will dwell in the midst of thee, and thou shalt know that the LORD of hosts hath sent me unto thee.

These were realised by the implementation of the great commission. I do not think the Samaritans & the surrounding nations recognised Israel as the people of God, nor joined with them, during the intertestamental period.

It almost fits but not...
Jeremiah 12:14-17
14 Thus saith the LORD against all mine evil neighbours, that touch the inheritance which I have caused my people Israel to inherit; Behold, I will pluck them out of their land, and pluck out the house of Judah from among them.
15 And it shall come to pass, after that I have plucked them out I will return, and have compassion on them, and will bring them again, every man to his heritage, and every man to his land.
16 And it shall come to pass, if they will diligently learn the ways of my people, to swear by my name, The LORD liveth; as they taught my people to swear by Baal; then shall they be built in the midst of my people.
17 But if they will not obey, I will utterly pluck up and destroy that nation, saith the LORD.
...the "all" and "every's" here don't fit. I'll keep looking at it, but thanks anyway.

• Members

Like much of the OT the passage has a threefold application. It was a prophecy of the Jews returning to the land under Zerubbabel and alo of a future return to the land from all corners of the earth under Christ. The passage can also have a devotional application to the church. Notice this passage and how it explains what has led to the condition of the church today.

Jeremiah 12:10- Many pastors have destroyed my vineyard, they have trodden my portion under foot, they have made my pleasant portion a desolate wilderness.