• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Schaap Says Independent Baptists Need to Expand the Base and Stop Criticizing

• Members
May 10, 2011 (David Cloud, Fundamental Baptist Information Service, P.O. Box 610368, Port Huron, MI 48061, 866-295-4143, fbns@wayoflife.org; for instructions about subscribing and unsubscribing or changing addresses, see the information paragraph at the end of the article) -

On Wednesday night, May 20, 2009, Jack Schaap, pastor of First Baptist Church, Hammond, Indiana, preached on the need for fundamental Baptists to broaden their base and stop being so narrow and to not criticize anyone at all. He preached this as counsel for the Hyles Anderson College students who were departing for summer break.

“We refuse to acknowledge that there are other saved people that are O.K. Brother Hyles had a great philosophy. As he got older he preached a sermon called ‘I Copy the Young Jack Hyles.’ I have been going through his books and I have been going through sermon notes and I’ve been going through sermons of when he was a young preacher, and I’ve gone back and copied in so many ways the young Jack Hyles. The young Jack Hyles who came here when the church had over a thousand members and and that church grew from 1959 to 11 years later it was declared the largest Sunday School in the world. And I looked at the people he ran with and the people he talked about and the friends he had and the archives.

View the full article

• Members
These are scanned images of the actual book by Dr. Jack Schaap. This is the most disgusting blasphemy I have ever heard out of the mouth of a Baptist preacher.

If this is so, them I would question this mans salvation, for he is a heresy pastor.

Many want to enlarger their borders, simply because they will give them more numbers, with that comes money, popularity, and power. Its great to enlarge ones congregation, don't get me wrong, yet its not great to enlarge a congregation if you compromise the Word. And it seem clear by the sermon this pastor preached brought to light by Bro. Cloud that he is willing to compromise.

• Members

Expand the base? Where's THAT in the Bible?

Brother Schaap sounds more like a politician than a preacher here.

Good link, Brother Jerry (even if it is from Steven Anderson's site). Those underlined portions are downright creepy!

Edited by Rick Schworer

Expand the base? Where's THAT in the Bible?

Brother Schaap sounds more like a politician than a preacher here.

Good link, Brother Jerry (even if it is from Steven Anderson's site). Those underlined portions are downright creepy!

Rick,
Expand the base...Its located in the book of Schaap verse 1 follow the link in the OP to find it...All in fun,
Where do these nuts come from? Now that's something I would like; the book and verse where God created a special tree for these guys to fall out of.

Jerry,
I liked this comment from your link...

"Pastor Steven L Anderson's Comments:
Dr. Schaap's use of the word "intimacy" is not what is blasphemous. What is blasphemous is his twisting the word of God into a sexual connotation where none exists."
Edited by 1Tim115

• Members

More proof of why it is so important for Believers to get into the Word themselves, just as Scripture commands. If more Believers were in the Word night and day prayerfully following the guidance of the Holy Ghost, there would be far fewer led astray.

• Members

Brother Schaap clearly mishandles the word of God here, and I think we could all take a lesson from exactly how he did it. Brother Anderson is right, what Schaap did was create something outside of the text - he made, of all things, a sexual connotation where not a shred of one existed.

How'd he do it?

He didn't correct or change the word of God. He never said, "This verse should have been translated...." or "A better rendering would have been..."

He found something that wasn't there at all. The way he did it was by interpreting the passage with a dictionary instead of with other Scriptures. It's basically the “Greek Game” that Sam Gipp talks about; only this time it’s done in English. The Greek Game is when you find a word in a passage, then look that word up in Greek and see what other words it could have been translated to in English, and use those other English words as a basis for your interpretation. It's the same stupid, tired, boring, and very annoying thing that people do when they geek out about the Greek words for baptize, church, or love.

So what Schaap did was the same thing. To find his new (and really weird) nugget, instead of going to a Greek lexicon he went to an English dictionary. He found different definitions of a few English words and completely perverted the meaning of the passages. The correct way of interpreting Scripture is to use other passages of Scripture FIRST and FOREMOST, and then if one wants to support the Scriptural interpretation with an English dictionary definition or Greek word then fine.

Edited by Rick Schworer

• Members

It's really sad to look at how few professing Christians read the Bible daily, or even weekly, or even once a month, or at all during the year. Look at how few attend Bible studies, either through their church or gathering on their own. How often do we hear those who have been professing Christians for years say something like "I didn't know that was in the Bible".

This is why those like Schaap, Joel Osteen and others have such large followings. This is why we see a growing move of professing Christians deciding to join the RCC. This is why we see many churches today willing to yoke with the RCC or even the Mormons, and why some of the churches are seeking closer ties with the RCC.

• Members

John
You seem to have the answer on almost every "why" that man can muster up, but ask yourself why David Cloud thinks it is his sole duty to publicly expose and criticize other preachers over the internet, and especially, first,and foremost Dr. Schaap! I cannot get the link either, and am no great proponent of Dr. Schaap either, but I am careful not to criticize one that was called of God (not according to MY reckoning, but according to a profession of faith). I canceled the Sword of the Lord for the same reason when Dr. Rice had it--too much criticism of the SBC, although I agree with much of what he said in it! It seems every issue was focused on what was going on in the SBC and the writers made no difference to change things.
(I know that the Bible tells us to warn one another, but it seems we spend much time warning each other!)

Edited by irishman

• Members

The link is still working quite good, when I clicked on it, it loaded in my Chrome web browser very fast.

That web site.
http://www.faithfulwordbaptist.org/schaap.html

Sometimes when a site will not open you can copy and paste the ULR into your browser and sometime that will open it.

This man is way off his rocker teaching heresy, and people need to be warned about him.

I was going to copy and paste the main portions over here, but they have this sited fixed so that cannot be done.

Here is a couple of examples:

Ps 119:30 ¶ I have chosen the way of truth: thy judgments have I laid before me.

He claims, "That word laid is a sexual term which literally means the same thing as man laying with a woman. God was saying that God's law should be as intimate as a marriage partner in a sexual liaison."

Another statement:
When a person take the bread during the Lord's Supper, he is not actually eating Christ's body"This element represents something." "The person who deeply loves Christ understands that when He receives Christ as Savior, it is a spiritual intercourse. A person receives the body of Christ. A Christian is the female gender in the spiritual realm, and God is the make gender of the spiritual realm. When a person receives Christ as Savior, he is receiving Christ as a lover."

There's a few more examples over there.

• Members

These are scanned images of the actual book by Dr. Jack Schaap. This is the most disgusting blasphemy I have ever heard out of the mouth of a Baptist preacher.

If this is so, them I would question this mans salvation, for he is a heresy pastor.

Many want to enlarger their borders, simply because they will give them more numbers, with that comes money, popularity, and power. Its great to enlarge ones congregation, don't get me wrong, yet its not great to enlarge a congregation if you compromise the Word. And it seem clear by the sermon this pastor preached brought to light by Bro. Cloud that he is willing to compromise.

Well, he got part of the concept right. The sexual union between man and woman does represent the spiritual union between Christ and the church and God and the believer:

What? know ye not that he which is joined to an harlot is one body? for two, saith he, shall be one flesh. But he that is joined unto the Lord is one spirit. - 1 Corinthians 6:16-17

However, the verses that Dr. Schaap used to "prove" his point have to be stretched quite a bit in order to do so. Not to mention that the spiritual union of Christ and the church is never described as "graphic" in the Bible, as far as I know.

• Administrators

When a ministry has influence over people to the scope that this one has, and others that Bro. Cloud has mentioned, heresy needs to be pointed out. Parents send their kids to college hoping that they will grow closer to the Lord, not be led astray into heresy.

• Members

the reason I don't get those kinds of links is that it takes too long to download them--I still have dial-up. Those I do get, come such small increments that it is hard to follow.

As for Bro. Cloud, I see his name a lot on here, and it seems he has little good to say about most people, (But here I go acting the same way!)

As for Bro. Schaap, who can deny such an intimate union between Christ and His bride? The Song of Solomon comes very close (and is quite graphic) about the relationship between Christ and the church. i am not sure he should have used that scripture, but he did get the point across.

Edited by irishman