• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Frank Garlock

Jimb

• Members

What do you guys think of Frank Garlock? I grew up with his music and our church still has his hymnal. Recently, I read an article that makes the case that Dr. Garlock mixes pagan New Age mysticism with the Bible to suport his viewpoints. It gave specific examples and scared me to death.

Is Garlock teach the Bible or just his own opinions?

• Administrators

What do you guys think of Frank Garlock? I grew up with his music and our church still has his hymnal. Recently, I read an article that makes the case that Dr. Garlock mixes pagan New Age mysticism with the Bible to suport his viewpoints. It gave specific examples and scared me to death.

Is Garlock teach the Bible or just his own opinions?

Everything that I heard Frank Garlock say about music has been Biblically sound. I would like to read this article you are referring to. If Garlock is changing his music standards, I would like to know.

• Members

I know Frank and Flora Jean Garlock personally. (Some of you may know that they areRon Hamilton's father- and mother-in-law.) I would be interested to read the article and find out what "pagan, New Age mysticism" ideas the author finds in Garlock's work. I would say that some of Garlock's arguments are not specifically based on Scripture, but are rather opinions of someone who has studied music (like a musicologist commenting on the origins of various kinds of music, etc.).

Jimb, could you post the examples you mentioned?

• Members
  • Administrators
  • Members

Jerry, I disagree with Frank Garlock's use of the book Music Physician for Times to Come. I don't believe that such quotations are accurate or necessary to support his teachings. They are based on a faulty understanding of history, science, and astronomy. I agree that he is unwise to use these sources in his teachings.

That said, I agree with Greg Howlett when he says, "Is Garlock a New Age nut? Absolutely not. Is he a theological heretic to mark and avoid? I don't believe that either. He is however a man who is a bit careless when he goes looking for sources to back up his assertions about music."

I think Scott Aniol, another friend of mine, does a far better job defending conservative music. You really should read his book Worship in Song.

EDITED TO ADD: Music is a "science," not just an art. The way that musical pitches and their sound waves/overtones work together is very mathematical and scientifically observable. Since this is true, we shouldn't just dismiss out of hand anything we hear about overtones, energy, etc. Musicology is a serious branch of study, and we should listen to what musicologists tell us about the science of music. That's one reason I like reading Scott Aniol and John Makujina on this subject. Edited by Annie

• Members

Where did you find that quote, Jerry8?

I put that link in, I even previewed the post before posting it, something ate it up, sorry.

Its right here..

I'll give you a tip, for I have done this when something was posted like I did and had no link. If you will do a search for it with these around it, " ", it will generally come up in the number one position of your search.

• Administrators

I put that link in, I even previewed the post before posting it, something ate it up, sorry.

Its right here..

I'll give you a tip, for I have done this when something was posted like I did and had no link. If you will do a search for it with these around it, " ", it will generally come up in the number one position of your search.

Thanks.

• Members

That is the article I read too. Greg Howlett is an interesting fellow, and a great musician. I don't agree with everything he says, but he really really nails Garlock to the wall in that article.

• Members

That is the article I read too. Greg Howlett is an interesting fellow, and a great musician. I don't agree with everything he says, but he really really nails Garlock to the wall in that article.

I don't know nothing about him either, I found that by searching the web.

• 8 months later...
  • Members

So, Frank Garlock is bad...is CCM good?
Let's think about this for a moment.
Are the Scriptural arguments Garlock used faulty?
Is the music Garlock produces evil?

What exactly is your beef with Garlock? Is it that he removes doubt that CCM and rock music is evil? Or is it something else?
Look, I have my favorite Bible teachers and commentators. However, there isn't one of them that hasn't "gone off the deep end" about something at some point in time. We are fallen creatures, and we all have our faults.
So let's say that Garlock took a wrong turn on one issue of the music debate. Should we then dismiss EVERYTHING he has done to date? That would be like saying we should ignore the work of George Whitefield and John Wesley (not Baptist, supported infant baptism, etc....). They were good men that God used in a special way to open the door for Baptists to grow and spread.
Is your favorite Bible teacher correct on every detail of his Bible teaching?
If the answer to this question is "NO" (and it should be!), then let's give credit where credit is due. Frank Garlock and Ron Hamilton have led the charge against rock music and CCM for as long as I can remember. Edited by Steve Schwenke

• 2 months later...
  • Members

I believe Mr. Schwenke has correctly stated the issue.

If you listen to Garlock's entire lecture (i did) you see that he is Biblically centered and on target, even if you may not agree with all his supporting resourses.

If you listen to Howlett's music for any length of time (i did), and if you watch some of his instructional videos (did that, too), you see that he is pedalling what is light jazz lounge music as an acceptable replacement for good music.

Believe i will go with Garlock.

BTW, it has been my experience as a musician; jazz, rock, and country (all former), classical, and sacred; that the ONLY people who will defend rock (and therefore, CCM) music to their dying breath for what it is not are "Christians". The world admits it for what it is.

Edited by Ben the Biblicist