• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Frank Garlock

Jimb

• Members

In another thread you put forth that historical proof is no proof, yet in this thread you attempted to support your claims using evidence from history. Inconsistent to say the least. So really, what good would it do to put forth the evidence when you have already indicated in another thread you don't accept historical evidence which contradicts your position? Not to mention much of it has already been posted on OB in various threads.

As well, as pointed out previously, your post was wrong in so many areas it would take at the least a booklet to begin to address it and a good sized book to really get into it. So, if you are really interested in the truth, you could take the time to research each aspect of your post and discover it for yourself, which would be more satisfying and there would be more chance you might accept what you discover on your own.

John, I am not asking you to write a dissertation to disprove me. If I am wrong, then give me some titles of books to work from. I have documentation for everything I asserted right here on my bookshelf. Give me the titles of some books that would prove me incorrect....that's all I am asking, and it should not be that hard for you to do. What I do with that information is MY business, not yours, so don't worry too much about me "dismissing it." Just worry about giving me some sources for your position so I can check my own facts.

In regards to my "inconsistency" you have forgotten context.
Regarding correct Biblical DOCTRINE, it is difficult to go back through CHURCH History to ascertain the truth on any doctrine, particularly when we only consult the "Church Fathers."
We are not discussing Bible DOCTRINE here, and what I referenced is a matter of HISTORICAL FACT, not Bible Doctrine - and is therefore much more objective and easier to make conclusions from. Edited by Steve Schwenke

• Members

John, I am not asking you to write a dissertation to disprove me. If I am wrong, then give me some titles of books to work from. I have documentation for everything I asserted right here on my bookshelf. Give me the titles of some books that would prove me incorrect....that's all I am asking, and it should not be that hard for you to do. What I do with that information is MY business, not yours, so don't worry too much about me "dismissing it." Just worry about giving me some sources for your position so I can check my own facts.

In regards to my "inconsistency" you have forgotten context.
Regarding correct Biblical DOCTRINE, it is difficult to go back through CHURCH History to ascertain the truth on any doctrine, particularly when we only consult the "Church Fathers."
We are not discussing Bible DOCTRINE here, and what I referenced is a matter of HISTORICAL FACT, not Bible Doctrine - and is therefore much more objective and easier to make conclusions from.

Are you sure you are a pastor?

What we discussed before had nothing to do with the church fathers, it had to do with much more recent events and you dismissed every quote and resource put forth which disputed your preconceived view. An unteachable spirit is a very bad thing to cling to for any of us.

• Members

Are you sure you are a pastor?

What we discussed before had nothing to do with the church fathers, it had to do with much more recent events and you dismissed every quote and resource put forth which disputed your preconceived view. An unteachable spirit is a very bad thing to cling to for any of us.

Very unwise to make such assertions John, since you know so little about me or the ministry here in Amarillo, or the other places I have ministered.
But here is a strange thing...you accuse me of being "unteachable" but when you have the opportunity to simply give me a list of books to help "teach" me, you refuse to do it!!!!
A list of titles, John....it really can't be that hard....but since you refuse to do so, and then change the nature of my request into an accusation of being "unteachable," I can only make one conclusion. You must not HAVE any sources to disprove my assertions, but simply DON'T LIKE it because it crosses your misconceptions of history.

Too bad!
Moving on!

• Members

Very unwise to make such assertions John, since you know so little about me or the ministry here in Amarillo, or the other places I have ministered.
But here is a strange thing...you accuse me of being "unteachable" but when you have the opportunity to simply give me a list of books to help "teach" me, you refuse to do it!!!!
A list of titles, John....it really can't be that hard....but since you refuse to do so, and then change the nature of my request into an accusation of being "unteachable," I can only make one conclusion. You must not HAVE any sources to disprove my assertions, but simply DON'T LIKE it because it crosses your misconceptions of history.

Too bad!
Moving on!

Since you have already proven you are unwilling to accept the truth why should I take the hours to dig into storage and find what you say? If you were truly interested in learning the truth you would do as myself and so many others have done; search for it. The fact you dismiss all facts which disagree with your view is reason enough not to go to great lengths.

I've spent years teaching, both biblical matters as well as history, it's not difficult to discern between those who are truly interested in the truth, those who are ideologues, and those who don't care.

Over the years I've known many pastors and only one displayed an attitude similar to yours. He was a United Methodist pastor and his later end was worse than the first.

A member of my wife's family has visited Liberty Baptist Church so I might know a bit more than you think.

Now, if you don't mind, perhaps the personal stuff could end.

I started to just leave it go, but it needs corrected.

If you thought I said, you disagree with everything I stated, I did not, I did say you seemed to disagree with everything

And here is what I actually stated.

I was referring only to the post you had just replied to.

This is getting no where, I shall try & stay out.

Yep, I'm still not certain what point you've been trying to make. So, on to more important matters.

• Members

Since you have already proven you are unwilling to accept the truth why should I take the hours to dig into storage and find what you say? If you were truly interested in learning the truth you would do as myself and so many others have done; search for it. The fact you dismiss all facts which disagree with your view is reason enough not to go to great lengths.

I've spent years teaching, both biblical matters as well as history, it's not difficult to discern between those who are truly interested in the truth, those who are ideologues, and those who don't care.

Over the years I've known many pastors and only one displayed an attitude similar to yours. He was a United Methodist pastor and his later end was worse than the first.

A member of my wife's family has visited Liberty Baptist Church so I might know a bit more than you think.

Now, if you don't mind, perhaps the personal stuff could end.

It's only personal if you take it that way....all I am asking is for sources, which you are unwilling to provide. If you are the History teacher you claim to be you should have the info at your fingertips. I don't have to actually go to my bookshelf to give you titles of books for my sources.
Who keeps bringing up the personal stuff? You were the one who said my historical references are all wrong, but then you refuse to give me any sources to contradict my view, and instead charge me with being "unteachable."
You accuse me of not being interested in the truth....I didn't say that about you. And that is quite a charge to make, sir, since I have dedicated my life to serving our Saviour Jesus Christ, and do my due diligence to search, study, and then proclaim the truth...
So if you want the "personal stuff" to go away, maybe you should stop making such ridiculous accusations against an elder and pastor - such as being "unteachable" and "not interested in the truth."

I didn't charge you with being unteachable - you said that about me....so just look at yourself for all the "personal stuff." All I did was ask for a list of sources - not a dissertation, not anything that should be all that difficult....Book titles and authors will do fine....
If you can't prove your assertion, then maybe you should not enter the argument. Edited by Steve Schwenke

• Members

It's only personal if you take it that way....all I am asking is for sources, which you are unwilling to provide. If you are the History teacher you claim to be you should have the info at your fingertips. I don't have to actually go to my bookshelf to give you titles of books for my sources.
I know who our visitors are, and who are regular attendees are, and who our members are. If your friend did visit, she didn't stick around very long, so how accurate a picture do you really have, John? And who keeps bringing up the personal stuff? You were the one who said my historical references are all wrong, but then you refuse to give me any sources to contradict my view, and instead charge me with being "unteachable."
WOW!
I didn't charge you with being unteachable - you said that. All I did was ask for a list of sources - not a dissertation, not anything that should be all that difficult....Book titles and authors will do fine....
If you can't prove your assertion, then maybe you should not enter the argument.

It's the same stunt you pulled last time so let's not go down that road again.

It wasn't a "she" but a "he".

• Members

One thing, Church fathers, who are the church fathers? The only ones I know of that refers to the church fathers, is the Roman Catholic Church, & they deem the written words of the church fathers to be equal with the Bible. In fact many times they will take their written word over the Bible.

The Bible does not teach of church fathers, & the Bible does not put man's word on equal terms with the Holy Scriptures, it does teach not to add to nor take away from God's Word.

• Members

One thing, Church fathers, who are the church fathers? The only ones I know of that refers to the church fathers, is the Roman Catholic Church, & they deem the written words of the church fathers to be equal with the Bible. In fact many times they will take their written word over the Bible.

The Bible does not teach of church fathers, & the Bible does not put man's word on equal terms with the Holy Scriptures, it does teach not to add to nor take away from God's Word.

And I agree with you Jerry.
What I was referring to was in a previous discussion on a DOCTRINAL issue (not an historical one!), someone kept referring to the Church Fathers and history. History is not always the best source to lean on for doctrine - at least not the history advanced by protestants, the lost public, or the Roman Catholic Church. Baptist History is generally buried from view to most people, but even then Baptists have disagreed amongst themselves over doctrine, and continue to do so today.
So when it comes to DOCTRINE, history is rather murky, and can be interpretted to support just about EVERY doctrine known to mankind.

When it comes to tracing certain historical facts, we should be able to retrace those steps without too much difficulty, provided we are not looking through rose-colored glasses, and trying to bend history to support our particular views today (i.e. Revisionist History.)

It is nice when we can look back through Church History and find that there were pockets of believers who believed similarly to what we believe today, but I rest my doctrine on the Scriptures, not on History. The History part is just the "icing on the cake" to me.