• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Psalm 51

• Members

I'm NOT promoting RC at all - but this setting of Psalm 51 is exquisitely beautiful. Mendelsohn gets a mention, & he was a Protestant who wrote the "Reformation Symphony."

The performance itself is the last 15 minutes or so. It's complete with English sub-titles.

Allegri - Miserere

Psa 51 ¶ [[To the chief Musician, A Psalm of David, when Nathan the prophet came unto him, after he had gone in to Bathsheba.]]
1 Have mercy upon me, O God, according to thy lovingkindness: according unto the multitude of thy tender mercies blot out my transgressions.

Mods - feel free to delete the thread if it offends.

• Members

I'm NOT promoting RC at all - but this setting of Psalm 51 is exquisitely beautiful. Mendelsohn gets a mention, & he was a Protestant who wrote the "Reformation Symphony."

The performance itself is the last 15 minutes or so. It's complete with English sub-titles.

Allegri - Miserere

Psa 51 ¶ [[To the chief Musician, A Psalm of David, when Nathan the prophet came unto him, after he had gone in to Bathsheba.]]
1 Have mercy upon me, O God, according to thy lovingkindness: according unto the multitude of thy tender mercies blot out my transgressions.

Mods - feel free to delete the thread if it offends.

I don't think it will offend...the link comes up with a bar across it stating...NOT AVAILABLE IN YOUR AREA.

• Members

What does David mean by Psa 51:7 Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean: ? Are there OT & NT allusions?

I asked the question here & "Breaking Christian News" completely independently reported:
An All-Natural Alternative Solution for Wellness – HYSSOP Healthy Therapy

From the desk of Steve Shultz:

Two years in development, Hyssop Health Therapy is an alternative solution for acne concerns, and an alternative remedy with pharma-like results for a seemingly endless variety of maladies, symptoms and conditions such as sore throats, colds, flu symptoms and many kinds of skin diseases.

Hyssop Health's main ingredient is origanum vulgare, the wild, mountain-grown oregano found exclusively in the Mediterranean, and Biblically known as hyssop.

IMO David's problem was not acne, etc, but blood-guilt. The Numbers 19 "red heifer ritual" is the allusion. Heb. 9 refers to that, & contrasts that ritual cleansing with the perfect cleansing of the blood of Christ. Edited by Covenanter

• 1 month later...
  • Members

What do you think of that type of music? Beautiful, reverential, certainly not rock, BUT in a style used by the RCs in their Psalms & masses. Should we listen? Should we sing? 'My' Norwood Green Choral Soc. sings music like that - choral settings by classical composers.

• Members

What do you think of that type of music? Beautiful, reverential, certainly not rock, BUT in a style used by the RCs in their Psalms & masses. Should we listen? Should we sing? 'My' Norwood Green Choral Soc. sings music like that - choral settings by classical composers.

Covenanter:

I think you raise an important point.

That if we throw out something of value and Biblical, just because the style doesn't fit certain people's presuppositions and comfort zones, we are losing things which may be of value.

Some people seem to promote a kind of cultural imperialism: some styles are good and the rest bad because my ilk didn't produce them. This makes no sense.

• Members

Psalm singing is an important topic - I grew up in the Church of England, using the Prayer Book & chanted Psalms & Canticles, with the service let by the priest/vicar in a falsetto voice. My principle memory of that is being lost between Prayers, Hymns, Psalms & order of service.

In my teens I went to a Bible Class (at a different CofE) & we sang choruses & hymns, & worship came alive.

Some Scottish Metrical Psalms are included in most hymn books, but the standard of poetry, word order & line breaks makes singing with understanding a challenge.

CCM often takes a Psalm verse to sing repeatedly - not a good solution.

A recent hymn book - Praise!begins with all the Psalms, some in several versions & generally rendered poetic & singable. The compilers have sought to 'rescue' the traditional hymns for the present generation, without going 'CCM.'

• Members

This is the Praise! version of Psalm 51:

Psalm 51

Lord, have mercy: in your goodness
purify me from my sin,
wipe away all my transgressions;
Lord, have pity, make me clean.
Well I know my sins: their memory
haunts my conscience all day long;
you alone have I offended,
done what you declare is wrong.

2. You are just in passing sentence,