• Welcome to Online Baptist

Free to join.

heartstrings

CCM?

Why post CCM on this forum of which the majority of members stand against?

I may be mistaken, but I believe heartstrings posted the videos to see if that style of music would be considered CCM. I listened to a little of both and I would classify both as CCM.

I listened to each of them. The first I didn't care for.

The second one is based on two scripture passages which have blessed me in the past.
Psalms 28:7 The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusted in him, and I am helped: therefore my heart greatly rejoiceth; and with my song will I praise him.
Psalms 42:1 As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God.

What do you think Heartstrings?

I may be mistaken, but I believe heartstrings posted the videos to see if that style of music would be considered CCM. I listened to a little of both and I would classify both as CCM.

Just wondered, Why!

A friend of mine had a whole collection of the Maranatha albums which he loaned to me once. Alot of the songs were 'tame' like the second one, but a few were leaning heavily toward being rock music. I will say, though, that the ones which quote scripture, expecially the Psalms, did bless me when I listened to them. I like "As the Deer" and see nothing wrong with it except maybe tweaking the words to line up with the KJB. I could do without the drums in the first one, but do enjoy the singing. So how did y'all like "Purple Robe" by the Stanley Brothers? No one commented yet.

A friend of mine had a whole collection of the Maranatha albums which he loaned to me once. Alot of the songs were 'tame' like the second one, but a few were leaning heavily toward being rock music. I will say, though, that the ones which quote scripture, expecially the Psalms, did bless me when I listened to them. I like "As the Deer" and see nothing wrong with it except maybe tweaking the words to line up with the KJB. I could do without the drums in the first one, but do enjoy the singing. So how did y'all like "Purple Robe" by the Stanley Brothers? No one commented yet.

Never heard of it...sorry.

I think one thing that hinders good discussion about "CCM" is that people are starting with different definitions. We all know that CCM means "contemporary Christian music." But that definition isn't at all helpful. "Contemporary" as in "recent"? "Contemporary" as in "anything with percussion"? See what I mean? Rather than asking, "Is this music CCM?" I think we should be asking, "Does this music please the Lord?" "Is it best?" "Could it be a stumbling block?" "Is it worthy of praising the Lord?" etc.

I do not care for the songs in the OP.

Edited by Annie

I've had this Maranatha CD for about 15 years and used to listen to it a good deal. I tired of them and haven't gotten them out in a long time. I actually don't listen to any music very often as we usually play our own. Once in a blue moon I will listen to a CD to learn a couple of new songs but that's about it. I almost never turn the truck or car stereos on, nor the ones in the shop or house. I appreciate the responses.

We were playing at a bluegrass sing/festival this weekend and there were alot of folk there who we used to play at churches with. I was very dismayed that they were singing old country songs with "cheating" and your wife leaving you type themes. When it came our time to get on stage, we sang strictly gospel as usual; and when we were done I was ready to leave. I can't stand to be around that stuff.

Jas 3:10 Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.

Yes, if they're truly saved, really born again, have put off the old man, put on the new man, how in the world can they sing Christ honoring music one moment, them the next sing music that comes from the sewer? There sure are lots of people that do it, which reminds me of the broad wide gate that many go in therein.

I've had this Maranatha CD for about 15 years and used to listen to it a good deal. I tired of them and haven't gotten them out in a long time. I actually don't listen to any music very often as we usually play our own. Once in a blue moon I will listen to a CD to learn a couple of new songs but that's about it. I almost never turn the truck or car stereos on, nor the ones in the shop or house. I appreciate the responses.

We were playing at a bluegrass sing/festival this weekend and there were alot of folk there who we used to play at churches with. I was very dismayed that they were singing old country songs with "cheating" and your wife leaving you type themes. When it came our time to get on stage, we sang strictly gospel as usual; and when we were done I was ready to leave. I can't stand to be around that stuff.

The second song in your OP I would listen to in my home without a moments hesitation.

I think one thing that hinders good discussion about "CCM" is that people are starting with different definitions. We all know that CCM means "contemporary Christian music." But that definition isn't at all helpful. "Contemporary" as in "recent"? "Contemporary" as in "anything with percussion"? See what I mean? Rather than asking, "Is this music CCM?" I think we should be asking, "Does this music please the Lord?" "Is it best?" "Could it be a stumbling block?" "Is it worthy of praising the Lord?" etc.

That is a good point. Same thing is happening to the term "Rock Music".

That is a good point. Same thing is happening to the term "Rock Music".

Over the course of our lifetimes the world of music has exploded to the point where there is so much out there it's near impossible to provide a separate category for each type of music. Most attempt to force each song or group into a pre-prepared box, often a box that was created decades ago when there were really only a few styles of music.

For instance, what does "Southern Gospel" mean? Is a Southern Gospel quartet's song from the 40s or 50s actually the same as a modern, pop/rock influenced Southern Gospel song? I've heard some wonderful Southern Gospel music over the years. At the same time, I've heard many songs/groups called Southern Gospel that I really have no idea why they are called that.

On the back of music is the easiest way for the world, the old devil, the prince of this world, to work his way into churches and turn those churches away from God. Plus with each new month more and more churches will bite the dust letting worldly music into their church on the back of music.

Of course many that are called churches are nothing more than entertainment centers, with those that meet there having one thing in common, they love entertainment.

I find it interesting that in these discussions, there is never a Bible verse brought up to support the putting down of said songs.

I know, and am persuaded by the Lord Jesus, that [there is] nothing unclean of itself: but to him that esteemeth any thing to be unclean, to him [it is] unclean. - Romans 14:14

I find it interesting that in these discussions, there is never a Bible verse brought up to support the putting down of said songs.

I know, and am persuaded by the Lord Jesus, that [there is] nothing unclean of itself: but to him that esteemeth any thing to be unclean, to him [it is] unclean. - Romans 14:14

Good point, anime. Would you say that this verse supports the idea that no artistic or creative expression of humans can ever be unclean/evil? Have you checked the context of this verse?

On the back of music is the easiest way for the world, the old devil, the prince of this world, to work his way into churches and turn those churches away from God. Plus with each new month more and more churches will bite the dust letting worldly music into their church on the back of music.

Of course many that are called churches are nothing more than entertainment centers, with those that meet there having one thing in common, they love entertainment.

Thats an entertaining thought.

Ro 12:1 ¶ I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.
Ro 12:2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

Few there be that follow the teachings in theses verses, and the one thing that many times that brings the world into a church is music, worldly music.

It would be good to read the context here, anime. This verse is not advocating situational ethics, which is what we have when everyone decides for themselves what is clean or unclean...kinda like in Israel when every man did that which was right in their own eyes.

Here are some verses for you:
"Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.
For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world." 1 John 2:15,16

The 2/4 beat that is employed in so much of what is called CCM (and it is a specific genre, not just songs that are written nowadays...those who sing and follow CCM know exactly what the term means) is a rock beat, whether the music is soft or not. And it is of the world. Ergo, according to the above verses, not something a Christian should be involved in.

Here's another set of verses:
"Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?

And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel?

And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.

Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you." 2 Cor. 6:14-17

Using the world's style of music (even if, as mentioned, it's softened) is disobedience to this set of verses.

And that style of music definitely fits under this warning:
"Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ."

Do any of those verses mention music? Nope. But they certainly encompass music. CCM (not just songs written today, but the actual genre that is out there and well known by the singers and the listeners...)has a philosophy that is rooted in the rudiments of this world, and is not after Christ.

What beats are there that are not of the world as worldy music of a wide variety has existed even long before Christianity?

I know of some who won't listen to orchestras because of their connection with the world. Some won't listen to classical because it's worldly. On and on with various music styles.

I've also spoken with missionaries who speak of certain types of music being considered worldy or even evil in some areas of the world while in other areas that same type of music is viewed as holy.

From what I've read, the 2/4 beat wasn't an invention of 1950s rock muscians but had been around and used by various cultures for various means, both holy and profane, long before there ever was a "rock" music.