• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

...that was the name thereof...

• Members

When our children were little, it was always a delight to hear them say those precious, cute little things. Our little daughter was out in the garden with her mother one day and brought her a little bug. My wife said "that's a ladybug". My daughter left and returned a few minutes later with another bug and exclaimed "look Mama...a MAN BUG!". When it came to the animals on our farm, it was the kids who did the naming. Sometimes the names didn't make any sense to my wife nor myself but, whatever they named it, that was it. It was a pleasure to let them name them. A black cow with a "V" shaped mark on her forehead was named "Vicky" But then, we had a beagle named "Wax"\ and another named "Kellybone" , my little son named a wild rabbit I had caught "Spotty". He had no spots but that was his name. All these things were a delight to my wife and myself and as I was thinking about that the other day, I was reminded about God giving Adam the priviledge to name all those animals.

Genesis 2:19And out of the ground the LORD God formed every beast of the field, and every fowl of the air; and brought them unto Adam to see what he would call them: and whatsoever Adam called every living creature, that was the name thereof. 20And Adam gave names to all cattle, and to the fowl of the air, and to every beast of the field;..........

I mean, the Mighty Creator made each one of those living marvels of awesome beauty and complexity, but he brought them to lowly Adam to name. It was like, "here Adam, I've made this thing but, you name it...whatever you want to call it, that;'s what we'll call it". How much delight Gid must have had in Adam, to give him that priviledge! How much greater, more intimate and precious and wonderful is God's delight in us than the relationship of a father to his child?