• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Minced Oaths

• Members

I will never say them because I know they are wrong, but I don't understand why they are wrong, could someone explain? And how do you feel about them in movies?

I was always taught "swearing" was wrong and never developed that habit. However in the case of "minced oaths" I grew up with them as a part of normal conversation and never even knew anyone had a problem with them till I was in my mid teens. My first reaction when exposed to people that considered them wrong basically amounted to "you got to be kidding"(although no such sentiment was publicly expressed) but gradually I came to the position that while they may not be truly "evil" they are at best pointless and unnecessary. Foolish speaking. In that case why say them particularly when some have a problem with them. As a result they are "mostly" gone from my vocabulary now though every once in a while I will catch myself saying one without thinking about it.

• Members

Euphemisms – God’s name and all that is His is holy.

Vain use of God’s name, names, attributes, or articles and people dedicated to His worship.

Exodus 20:7 Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain; for the LORD will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.

H7723
שׁו שׁואo
shâv' shav
{shawv} shav

From the same as H7722 in the sense of desolating ; evil (as {destructive }) literally ( ruin ) or morally (especially guile ); figuratively idolatry (as {false} subjectively)6 uselessness (as {deceptive} objectively; also adverbially in vain ): - false ({-ly}) {lie} {lying} {vain} vanity.

His name is holy
God the Father
1 Chronicles 16:10 Glory ye in his holy name: let the heart of them rejoice that seek the LORD.
Psalms 103:1 Bless the LORD, O my soul: and all that is within me, bless his holy name.
God the Son
Isaiah 49:7 Thus saith the LORD, the Redeemer of Israel, and his Holy One, to him whom man despiseth, to him whom the nation abhorreth, to a servant of rulers, Kings shall see and arise, princes also shall worship, because of the LORD that is faithful, and the Holy One of Israel, and he shall choose thee.
Philippians 2:10 That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth;
God the Holy Spirit
Isaiah 63:10 But they rebelled, and vexed his holy Spirit: therefore he was turned to be their enemy, and he fought against them.
Ephesians 4:30 And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.

We're commanded to be holy...
1 Peter 1:15 But as he which hath called you is holy, so be ye holy in all manner of conversation;

God's abode is holy
Psalms 24:3 Who shall ascend into the hill of the LORD? or who shall stand in his holy place?
Psalms 68:5 A father of the fatherless, and a judge of the widows, is God in his holy habitation.

2 Timothy 2:16 But shun profane and vain babblings: for they will increase unto more ungodliness.

Dedicated to God is holy
Search for holy; scripture references for those things dedicated to God are too innumerable to list. But what you find is anything dedicated and consecrated to God’s worship (I add in Spirit and in Truth) are holy; including Christian men and women, they belong to God.

Be careful little mouth what you say
2 Corinthians 2:17 For we are not as many, which corrupt the word of God: but as of sincerity, but as of God, in the sight of God speak we in Christ.

I don't use them and cringe when I hear them.

Final thought...don't profane God or the things that pertain to Him.

Edited by 1Tim115

• Members

What is minced oaths? Surely its not cussing, using God's name in vain. even most that cuss knows its wrong.

They are assorted expressions that are unnecessary foolish speaking. Basically replacements for "real" swear words that are mostly used to express irritation or surprise depending on the word. A few like "heck" or "shoot" can be just randomly inserted at the beginning of a sentence in a matter of fact way and don't express much of anything beyond "listen to what I am about to say". Some common ones would include the following words: "shoot, darn, rats, drat, gosh, heck" and so forth. Not really swearing per se in my opinion, but foolish speaking used in a manner similar to swearing and not really helpful or adding anything positive to the Christian vocabulary. Something a Christian is better off without overall. Edited by Seth-Doty

• Members

OK, thanks for explaining. And yes, lots of Christians use such words, and we have had topics about them in the past. I have in the past, but never really thought them to be proper. Still once in a great while one will slip up on me.

When growing up my mother had one, flitter sticks, I remember asking her what they were, yet I don't remember ever getting an answer. I think I asked her that so many times she stopped using it.

• Moderators

I agree with 1Tim115. A lot of euphemisms that are used today are only 'cheats.' I figure people used to be told off for using God's name in vain, so they developed alternative ways of saying the same thing. If you think about a lot of euphemisms, it is fairly obvious which names of God they developed from. I do not like hearing them used.

• Members

Mt 5:37 But let your communication be, Yea, yea; Nay, nay: for whatsoever is more than these cometh of evil.

If a person will stop and think, after reading this verse, they will realize what you've called minced oaths is 100% wrong.

Years ago I drove for a trucking company, there was 3 of us running the same route and would have coffee together at times. One fellow was quite bad about saying those bad words. The other hand would nearly always say afterwards, "let you yea be yea, nay be nay, anymore is evil." Once he stated that the other driver would very seldom say another bad word over that cup of coffee. Of course the next time we stopped together it would have been forgotten and he would have to say it again.