• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Daybreak Quartet

Salyan

• Moderators

Is anyone familiar with the Daybreak Quartet out of Georgia? I'm trying to decide where to serve this summer, and I have the option of helping out at some revival meetings where they will be providing the music. Are they good, conservative, singers? Or are they contemporary and ecumenical?

• Members

On their web site it says this.

The Daybreak Quartet

From their website.
"Our program is geared first and foremost toward evangelism and nearly always ends with an invitation to accept Christ".

1Co 1:18 For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.

1Co 1:21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.

1Co 1:17 For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect.

Ro 10:14 How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?

They seem to think, like many singing groups, people are saved by hearing them sing, that seems to disagree with the Bible.

Not putting down singing prior to preaching, yet its not a replacement. And if they go to signing them giving and invitation without preaching, I'm against that, for preaching has probably become foolish to them.

• Moderators

Thank you, Jerrynumbers. I know that in this case, at least, there will be good preaching. An evangelist I know and respect is preaching the revival meetings, so these guys will only be providing the music. Just not sure what that music's gonna be like... I don't generally care for Southern gospel, as it is often right on the line (or over) of being too contemporary/country.

• Members

If you go to their website and click on "music" there is a place to the upper left where it says "listen now" and they have three songs under that you can hear a sample of.

In addition a search of youtube videos turns up quite a bit. More contemporary than I care for...

• Members

The problem with them is they will try to change to suit the church they're singing in to be sure not to offend anyone if at all possible. They are to worldly, to worldly, just as most such groups are. Plus as Seth stated, to contemporary.

Remember, there is a strait narrow gate, and a wide broad gate. Some seem to think if they go with the crowd they will be safe, yet when it comes to the Gospel of Jesus Christ that is hardly ever true. The crowd is gathered up around the broad wide gate and cannot wait to pass through.

• Members

Personal opinion: I didn't care for any of the samples I listened to on the quartet site. I'm not judging the men's motives, salvation, etc., at all, or calling them "worldly." I have no reason to doubt they are sincere followers of Christ. I just think the style of music they are choosing to use works against what they are trying to accomplish.

• Members

Annie, I know several church of Christ people, and they're very sincere, yet the truth is they believe in a false Gospel, salvation by baptizing. There be lots of other churches out there that teaches works based salvation that are very sincere as well, even the Mormons are sincere, yet they still do not know the way to Christ.

I feel to the priest that goes to give last rites to the dying Roman Catholic Church member is very sincere, as well as the dying Roman Catholic Church member if he or she is aware of receiving last riots.

Such people as I spoke of above are sincere, honest, that is they believe in their mind that they have God's truth, being sincere is of no help, if one is believing in a false hope. And of course the majority of people will hear those dreadful words from Jesus.

Mt 7:23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

Matthew 7:13 "...broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:"

Change to suit what ever church the singing groups goes to, what I mean by that is if that church teaches a work based salvation they will try to keep from offending them, and the churches that teach one is saved only by grace though faith, they will try to keep from offending them.

Years back I went to 3 maybe 4 Southern Gospel Concerts, after having gone to just a few of them I took notice of what they were saying in between the singing I have never been back. A wishy washy gospel just does not cut it. the person hearing it just might believe in a false path to heaven, and one who believes in a false path to heaven is the hardest to win to Christ.

By the way, I have read that churches that believe one is saved by grace through faith are a very small minority of the churches in this world. That most churches teach a work based salvation. And of course there is only one, {1}, way for man to be saved. And it takes not that much studying to find out that most churches teaches some type of works based salvation, and before anyone says any church is good as any other church they better be sure what that church teaches.

Eph 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
Eph 2:9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.

A person is only saved by grace though faith in Jesus, its a gift, not of self, not of works, least any man should boast.

• Members

Annie, I know several church of Christ people, and they're very sincere, yet the truth is they believe in a false Gospel, salvation by baptizing. There be lots of other churches out there that teaches works based salvation that are very sincere as well, even the Mormons are sincere, yet they still do not know the way to Christ.

I feel to the priest that goes to give last rites to the dying Roman Catholic Church member is very sincere, as well as the dying Roman Catholic Church member if he or she is aware of receiving last riots.

Such people as I spoke of above are sincere, honest, that is they believe in their mind that they have God's truth, being sincere is of no help, if one is believing in a false hope. And of course the majority of people will hear those dreadful words from Jesus.

Mt 7:23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

Matthew 7:13 "...broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:"

Change to suit what ever church the singing groups goes to, what I mean by that is if that church teaches a work based salvation they will try to keep from offending them, and the churches that teach one is saved only by grace though faith, they will try to keep from offending them.

Years back I went to 3 maybe 4 Southern Gospel Concerts, after having gone to just a few of them I took notice of what they were saying in between the singing I have never been back. A wishy washy gospel just does not cut it. the person hearing it just might believe in a false path to heaven, and one who believes in a false path to heaven is the hardest to win to Christ.

By the way, I have read that churches that believe one is saved by grace through faith are a very small minority of the churches in this world. That most churches teach a work based salvation. And of course there is only one, {1}, way for man to be saved. And it takes not that much studying to find out that most churches teaches some type of works based salvation, and before anyone says any church is good as any other church they better be sure what that church teaches.

Eph 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
Eph 2:9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.

A person is only saved by grace though faith in Jesus, its a gift, not of self, not of works, least any man should boast.

Yes, we have to be very careful in such matters. It's very possible for someone to be totally sincere, yet to be sincerely wrong. I would have to hear their testimonies before deciding whether they seem to be sincere, true Christians or not.

Several country music singers profess to be Christians and they can sing Christian music beautifully. You can even see they are sincere and moved by what they are singing but what is their actual testimony? Very few in country music can provide a clear biblical testimony. :icon_sad:

• Moderators

Thanks, guys. Your opinions help! I was a bit concerned when I looked over their website and saw the variety of churches they played at - some were fundamental and some seemed quite contemporary (music-wise, at least). If a group will sing at a contemporary church, it implies (to me at least) that they see no problem with the contemporary music or standards. I don't want to go to help at these meetings and be the critical spirit sitting in the congregation! Better not to be there...

• 6 months later...
  • Members

The problem with them is they will try to change to suit the church they're singing in to be sure not to offend anyone if at all possible. They are to worldly, to worldly, just as most such groups are. Plus as Seth stated, to contemporary.

Jerry,
I know that they don't change the songs they sing but will change the tracks (music). They have two types of tracks the use for each song. One is with drums and on without. But lyrically the songs are the same.

They have been to our church many times and are always welcome at our church.

I went to college with Craig and Jason. I know Nathan (Jason's brother).

As of now Jason had to come off the road due to health issues with in his family and not long ago Nathan came off. Craig as far as I know still sings with them. I am not sure what the current state of Daybreak is or going to be.