• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Liturgical Services

• Members

Why all this positive talk about liturgical services? I recall hearing some last year but this year I'm hearing even more. One guy on the radio spoke of how his Baptist church growing up "only" met on Wednesdays and Sundays throughout the year. He said after marriage he and his wife ended up visiting and then attending a liturgical church and contended how much better that is because they do something for every day of holy week.

I've also heard calls from supposed Baptists saying Christians should visit liturgical churches during holy week for all the extra blessings they can get from such.

Along with lots more positive talk of liturgical churches and insinuations that non-liturgical churches, especially Baptist churches, are somehow not as high on the spiritual plain as the liturgical churches, I noted a total silence as to any other aspect of liturgical churches. Not once did I hear a specific liturgical church mentioned by name and not once did anyone address any of the various unbiblical doctrines and practices of any of the liturgical churches.

Many Baptists are reminding me of the Jews of the OT. Rather than remain separate unto God, they want to be like other churches (other nations, in the case of the Jews).

• Members

The only time I've heard it mentioned in our church was when someone asked about it in Sunday school. Our pastor did point out that some of them may have had good intentions when they first began but it soon became a lot of vain repetition and many kept too much of the RCC.

Considering there seems to be a move for many churches to be turning to Rome, perhaps this is just another step in the process. Folks turning to liturgical churches, some of which have ties with Rome.

It seems many professing Christians, even among pastors, are acting bored, or not content with biblical church services and they either lean towards the entertainment churches or the more liturgical churches. Niether move is good.

• Members

I'm not sure what you mean by "liturgical churches." Every church has a liturgy (def.: a form and arrangement of public worship laid down by a church or religion). My church's liturgy may be different than yours, but unless your church is "anything goes," there's a liturgy in place there.

Edited by Annie

• Members

I spent the first 14 years of church attendance getting lost in the Anglican liturgy - switching between the matins or evensong; Psalms (chanted) & Scripture; then a sermon with no relation to the Scripture.

Now the Anglicans I know have abandoned the liturgy for a service order similar to free churches, reserving the liturgy for special services during the week, for those who appreciate it.

They could all be fined, imprisoned & declared dead & their property distributed.

The Act of Uniformity was an Act of the parliament of England, 13&14 Ch.2 c. 4 (1662),[1] which prescribed the form of public prayers, administration of sacraments, and other rites of the Established Church of England, following all the rites and ceremonies in the Book of Common prayer. It also required episcopal ordination for all ministers, which was reintroduced after the puritans had abolished many features of the Church during the Civil War.

Act of uniformity

And, That all and every such person, who shall (without some lawful Impediment, to be allowed and approved of by the Ordinary of the place) neglect or refuse to do the same within the time aforesaid, or (in case of such Impediment) within one Moneth after such Impediment removed, shall ipso facto be deprived of all his Spiritual Promotions; And that from thenceforth it shall be lawful to, and for all Patrons, and Donors of all and singular the said Spiritual Promotions, or of any of them, according to their respective Rights, and Titles, to present, or collate to the same; as though the person, or persons, so offending or neglected were dead.

That was aimed at non-conformists including baptists. Edited by Covenanter

• Members

Roman Catholic, Lutheran, Episcopal, and Eastern Orthodox churches are well known as liturgical churches. We have nothing in common with them. They do not even know how to teach a person to be saved by the Bible way.

Yes, these and a few other false teaching churches. As Covenanter pointed out, they have rather dry, formalistic and ritualistic services that are rather disconnected. Worse of all, biblical salvation is not taught.

• Members

Yes, these and a few other false teaching churches. As Covenanter pointed out, they have rather dry, formalistic and ritualistic services that are rather disconnected. Worse of all, biblical salvation is not taught.

I can see how that someone that was raised in such churches would feel they had not been to church if they attended a non-liturgical church, and that it would take self-will to break away from them/ Of course with the help of the Holy Spirit one would not have to do so by self.

• Members

I can see how that someone that was raised in such churches would feel they had not been to church if they attended a non-liturgical church, and that it would take self-will to break away from them/ Of course with the help of the Holy Spirit one would not have to do so by self.

Yes but with the ecumenical movement, even baptists are getting involvd. One Baptist man said to me, e few weeks ago: "Our pastor is starting Lent classes. When I asked him "Why?" he seemed stuck for words for a while, then said, "I suppose he thought it was a good idea."

• Members

Worship style is one of the 4 big reasons for differing denominations. Some people prefer a more lively worship, some prefer a quiet, some like a lot fo structure and "liturgy". I don't see how there's anything wrong with any of them, as long as it's a means to the end of worshipping God and focusing on Him, and not just a way to achieve an emotional buzz.

One danger comes from assuming your method of worship is superior, and e=other are wrong by not doing it the way you prefer.

• Members

I grew up Lutheran and Catholic so I know about some of this. I only went to the last service during Easter Morning and I only have vivid memories of the churches. I do at home observe lent and all but I don't go to extreme. This year was very heartbreaking I haven't done nothing for lent nor fasted what I wanted to . However, I rather go to a Baptist Church on Easter rather other places because , I love the hymns and singing better, the services and preaching about the cross better at a Baptist church or a Bible church.

• Members

Danny, There is only one way to the Father, its by grace though faith, and the MAIN reason there are different denominations is few there be that believe that one path will get you to heaven.

That is true, and the liturgical churches take much of their formula from the RCC. It isn't that having some order or the reading of the Word and such is wrong, it's in the performing of the ritual in a rather robotic, do this...check, now do this...check, now this...check....okay, now we've done what we have to, here's an unconnected sermon because that's next on the list...check...

Typically the liturgical churches hold to some of the false teachings of the RCC and they don't preach and teach biblical salvation. Their religion is one of ritual and works. One would be hard pressed to find the Spirit active there.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Danny, There is only one way to the Father, its by grace though faith, and the MAIN reason there are different denominations is few there be that believe that one path will get you to heaven.

I disagree. I've studied many different denominations, and while theological difference get noticed more, the other 3 reasons (worship style, mission funding and organizational structure) make up a lot more of the differences.

Hstorically, the #1 reason for someone creating a new denomination was their concern that there were too many denominations, so they started a new one, that they assumed would be the one everyone would conform to.