• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

• Members

I was thinking ahead to the events of Christ's passion and His resurrection, I completed a side study on Judas Iscariot and a thought crossed my mind.

I can't imagine what it might have been like for that other disciple who was partnered with Judas Iscariot when Christ sent them forth (Mark 6:7). Can you?

Who would have been paired with Judas?
Simon Peter, Andrew, James, John, Philip, Bartholomew, Thomas, Matthew, James, Lebbaeus Thaddaeus, Simon the Canaanite.
Try substituting your name for any of the eleven above and imagine the experience.
What effect might this have had from the experience? Apostle? Yourself?

• Members

The extraordinary truth is that they had no awareness of his real nature. When Jesus told of his betrayal, none said, "Is it Judas?"

Mat. 26:20 Now when the even was come, he sat down with the twelve.
21 And as they did eat, he said, Verily I say unto you, that one of you shall betray me.
22 And they were exceeding sorrowful, and began every one of them to say unto him, Lord, is it I?

• Members

The extraordinary truth is that they had no awareness of his real nature. When Jesus told of his betrayal, none said, "Is it Judas?"

21 And as they did eat, he said, Verily I say unto you, that one of you shall betray me.
22 And they were exceeding sorrowful, and began every one of them to say unto him, Lord, is it I?

Right

• Members

I was thinking ahead to the events of Christ's passion and His resurrection, I completed a side study on Judas Iscariot and a thought crossed my mind.

I can't imagine what it might have been like for that other disciple who was partnered with Judas Iscariot when Christ sent them forth (Mark 6:7). Can you?

Who would have been paired with Judas?
Simon Peter, Andrew, James, John, Philip, Bartholomew, Thomas, Matthew, James, Lebbaeus Thaddaeus, Simon the Canaanite.
Try substituting your name for any of the eleven above and imagine the experience.
What effect might this have had from the experience? Apostle? Yourself?

There's no need to imagine what it would be like.

Matthew 7 15 Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.

Acts 20:28 Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood.

29For I know this, that after my departing shall grievous wolves enter in among you, not sparing the flock.

30Also of your own selves shall men arise, speaking perverse things, to draw away disciples after them. Edited by heartstrings

• Members

Yes, that is one of the scriptures I reviewed during the study. Many of us have gone on soul winning visitation or street preaching. You don't know for sure if your partner is saved. It might not have been the same disciple paired with Judas every time. What might the results be from a team perspective?

No matter that none of the eleven knew...what effect might it have had on the effort? On the disciple or, on you, if you insert yourself into this scenario? Can you imagine how "that disciple" might have been effected?

• Members

Yes, that is one of the scriptures I reviewed during the study. Many of us have gone on soul winning visitation or street preaching. You don't know for sure if your partner is saved. It might not have been the same disciple paired with Judas every time. What might the results be from a team perspective?

No matter that none of the eleven knew...what effect might it have had on the effort? On the disciple or, on you, if you insert yourself into this scenario? Can you imagine how "that disciple" might have been effected?

2 Corinthians 11:12 But what I do, that I will do, that I may cut off occasion from them which desire occasion; that wherein they glory, they may be found even as we. 13For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ. 14And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light. 15Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness; whose end shall be according to their works.

I would imagine Judas looked like a true disciple while he was preaching, casting out devils and healing the sick. They had no suspicion whatsoever. Besides, I think they were all more preoccupied with the miracles they were doing at the time. Can you imagine what it would be like to do all that? Edited by heartstrings

• Members

2 Corinthians 11:12 But what I do, that I will do, that I may cut off occasion from them which desire occasion; that wherein they glory, they may be found even as we. 13For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ. 14And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light. 15Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness; whose end shall be according to their works.

I would imagine Judas looked like a true disciple while he was preaching, casting out devils and healing the sick. They had no suspicion whatsoever. Besides, I think they were all more preoccupied with the miracles they were doing at the time. Can you imagine what it would be like to do all that?

Yes, to do those things Christ intended would have been inspiring and are inspiring (I hope) to us today.

Its interesting to note that Christ sent the diciples out (Luke 9:1-6) but it wasn't until much later Satan took control of Judas' mind and heart (Luke 22:3, John 13:2). So, it may be possible Judas performed these same miraculous acts just as heartily as the other eleven. He may not have been a "minister" of Satan at this point. You may have something there.

• Members

The guy I was partnered most with in the late 80s, early 90s, and the one with which I saw the most lost souls come to Christ with, turned from the faith several years ago and a few years ago finally broke off all contact with me.

The main effect this has had on me has been to wonder how this could happen and why; and to wish I could speak with him face-to-face. The great times of fellowship, friendship and speading the Gospel we previously shared are still treasured memories.

• Members

There was a man who used to preach in the open air, each week, in Canterbury, Dover , other towns around, and even in Holland. Eventually he left his wife and went off with the wife of one of his preaching collleagues.

The last time I saw him was in a Pharmacy where he gave the staff some leaflets on the morning after pill, as they promoted it, and asked me to pray for them.

• Members

These last two comments (John, Invicta) add creedance to some thoughts I had while conducting this study of the one who betrayed Christ.

Judas humanity
Christ calls Judas “a devil” not the devil but “a” devil. In my Strong’s search most often devil refers to a false accuser and a deceiver. From Luke and John see Satan entered into or put into Judas heart to betray Jesus.

Do I believe Judas was Satan, no; do I believe Judas was deceived by Satan, yes. This again points to a man who has allowed himself to be deceived by the devil. Judas put himself in a position to be used of Satan. From the scriptures I believe Judas was a man.

I cannot determine from scripture if Judas was always wicked. I know that there was a certain moment when Judas was susceptible to Satan’s attack (Luke 22:3) and allowed place to be made for Satan’s deceit (John 13:2).

Judas was not special beyond God using him to fulfill His will. A man like you and I. Judas had parents, Simon was his father (John 6:71) but his mother’s name is not given. Judas most likely had a childhood not unlike other Jewish children.

Judas discipleship
Judas was called by Christ (John 6:70). He was given power against unclean spirits and to heal sickness and disease (Matthew 10:1-6) and sent out with the other eleven disciples.

What effort might he have given while spreading the Gospel of Christ? Did he aid in preaching Christ while out in the highways and towns? Was it Judas who failed to heal the man possessed of the dumb spirit (Mk. 9:20-27)? We don’t know the answers but, we have an idea of Judas priorities from (John 12:4-6).

This man, Judas Iscariot, allowed himself to be used of the devil. He surrendered himself to Satan’s will and reaped everlasting destruction. He was in the very presence of our Lord and Savior and called by Him; but, still he was corrupted by Satan and the world.

Christ most likely knew Judas’ heart was in a condition of denial of God. He knew Judas would not receive truth and would reject the Gospel. However, Judas would fulfill the will of God not out of love but, out of a despicable act of hate.

Judas epitaph
Judas was a man deluded by the cares of this world, corrupted by Satan, and denying God’s own Son. Just a man who, other than his ethnic features, would not be distinguishable from you or I. This man walked close to the Savior daily but never received the Savior into his heart.

Matthew 27:5 And he cast down the pieces of silver in the temple, and departed, and went and hanged himself.

Acts 1:18 Now this man purchased a field with the reward of iniquity; and falling headlong, he burst asunder in the midst, and all his bowels gushed out.

So, as much as we would like to type Judas as Satan, it turns out he was very much like you or I. The difference between Judas and a Christian is the object of your surrendered will. Judas’ will was surrendered to Satan, the Christian’s will is surrendered to Christ. Judas will spend eternity in hell. The Christian eternity with God.

Judas message
Surrender to the will of God or become a tool of Satan.

Romans 1:18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness;
Romans 1:19 Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them.

• Members

Scripture is clear that Judas was a man. It also seems clear that from outward appearances, Judas was viewed as an equal among the 12 disciples. There is no indication that Judas stood out in any way as not being one of them. When Jesus announced one of the 12 would betray Him no one pointed at Judas or asked if it was Judas. Instead, it seems the individual disciples were worried that perhaps they may somehow be the one who would in some way betray Jesus.

Scripture does not provide us the details of Judas' committment or a look into his heart from beginning to end. It's probable Judas was excited and highly involved, as were the other disciples. Then, as time went on and Judas failed to give his heart to Christ, it's likely Judas began doubting whether or not following Jesus was really going to pay off or not. This could be the opening the devil needed to begin influencing Judas to betrayal.

It's interesting to consider that the 30 pieces of silver Judas received was really not much money at all. It's probable he could have bargained for several times more than that. Why didn't he? This has led some to speculate that Judas was hoping to force Jesus into revealing Himself, claiming and taking the throne of David. If such had occured, Judas would stand to benefit greatly in earthly terms. All speculation of course, as Scripture doesn't tell us any details in this area.

Suffice to say, Judas was a man, he followed Christ but never surrendered to Christ. Judas was double-minded which opened to the door to the devil who influenced, but didn't force, Judas to betray Christ. Things didn't go the way Judas had hoped (whatever he was hoping for, Scripture doesn't say) and he regretted his actions but there is no indication he actually repented, and then he killed himself.

• Members

Balaam is a character whose words are 100% blessing for Israel & commitment to speaking only the word of the LORD, yet he is the great example of wickedness. His hypocrisy led Israel to trust him, & he encouraged the Moabites to seduce Israel by inviting them to join in worship.

Corrupt their worship & the whole relationship with God is corrupted.

Throughout Scripture, Balaam is the great seducer - but we have Balaams in our churches.

2Pe 2:15 Which have forsaken the right way, and are gone astray, following the way of Balaam [the son] of Bosor, who loved the wages of unrighteousness;

Jud 1:11 Woe unto them! for they have gone in the way of Cain, and ran greedily after the error of Balaam for reward, and perished in the gainsaying of Core.

Rev 2:14 But I have a few things against thee, because thou hast there them that hold the doctrine of Balaam, who taught Balac to cast a stumblingblock before the children of Israel, to eat things sacrificed unto idols, and to commit fornication.

• Members

Another thing to add is Judas actions before, during, and after Christ was betrayed are all fulfillment of scripture.

For our Jewish friends argument that Jesus fulfillment of the O.T. has not occurred...

How could you ever get a Jew (Judas) to participate in his own hanging and for 30 pieces of silver; or, to have
fulfilled so much of the O.T. prophecy?

• 10 years later...
  • Members
On 4/18/2011 at 6:37 PM, 1Timothy115 said:

So, as much as we would like to type Judas as Satan, it turns out he was very much like you or I.

Not like me.  Hopefully nothing like you either.   There are many anti-christs among us though, as written in the KJV.   This has always been true for the last 2000 years as written.

On 4/20/2011 at 3:21 AM, Covenanter said:

Who is the Judas, or Balaam, or Korah, or Cain in my church? Is it I?" God forbid!

May God give us discernment.

Jesus called Judas the son of perdition.  The other one called that is the anti-christ.

When (and likely if not obviously before this) Judas the betrayer was the one holding the purse,  he was a thief,  he stole from it,  he did not care for the poor.

==================================================================

"King James Bible
"This he said, not that he cared for the poor; but because he was a thief, and had the bag, and bare what was put therein."

"apoleia also acquires the specific sense of such ruin and destruction as involves an eternal loss of life (Php 1:28; Heb 10:39)."

The Son of Perdition is a name given to Judas (Joh 17:12) and to the Antichrist (2Th 2:3). This is the well-known Hebrew idiom by which a person typically embodying a certain trait or character or destiny is called the son of that thing. The name therefore represents Judas and the Antichrist (see MAN OF SIN) as most irrecoverably and completely devoted to the final apoleia.

www . blueletterbible.org/search/dictionary/viewtopic.cfm?topic=IT0006805