• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

20/20s Hit Piece Against Bible-Believing Baptists

• Members
April 18, 2011 (David Cloud, Fundamental Baptist Information Service, P.O. Box 610368, Port Huron, MI 48061, 866-295-4143, fbns@wayoflife.org; for instructions about subscribing and unsubscribing or changing addresses, see the information paragraph at the end of the article) -

The 20/20 report “Victim’s Forced Confession” pretends to be a fair and balanced report on abusive churches, but instead it was a hit piece against Bible-believing Baptists everywhere.

The report a mixture of truth, slander, hypocrisy, and hatred of God and His Word.

Let’s begin with the truth.

The report covers the Independent Fundamental Baptist Cult Survivors, a loose Facebook network of those who claim to have been abused by Independent Baptist churches. It focuses on a couple of particular cases of sexual abuse that were allegedly covered up by churches. These cases involved married men who were members of IB churches who had sexual relationships with underage girls.

I have no reason to disbelieve most of the allegations that are made in this context, because I have been warning for decades that some IB churches are cultish. A former IB church member is reported by 20/20 as saying, “The whole culture is you don’t question the pastor.” Another person says, “A man who is essentially unaccountable to anyone else you have a recipe for abuse.”

That is exactly right. I have written many reports about IB pastors such as Jack Hyles of First Baptist Church in Hammond, Indiana, and his predecessor Jack Schaap who require unquestioning loyalty and who treat all forms of “criticism” as an attack on their spiritual authority. Sadly, this problem extends to many IB churches. First Baptist is one of the largest IB churches and its school, Hyles-Anderson College, has trained many preachers since its inception in 1972.

View the full article

• Members

This 20/20 report and a recent incident in our area has brought back memories of Cornerstone Baptist Church in Colorado Springs. We were there in 1985-86 when I was in the Army stationed at Fort Carson. During that time Charles Miller Jr married a teenage girl (she was maybe 16 or 17 and he was 23 or 24). We didn't find out until many years later about the sexual crimes that he had been committing. I am convinced that this marriage was part of a coverup (although I can't prove it). From the news stories that I have read on the internet it appears that his dad Dean Miller Sr was well aware of his son's sexual exploits. I do know that they idolized Jack Hyles and the people were taught blind loyalty.

By the way, the incident in our area that I was referring to is about a youth leader of a Baptist church sexually assaulting at least 9 girls. The strangest part about the whole thing was that his wife was in on it (she photographed the incidences (she was also arrested and charged with cruelty to children). He ended up committing suicide and his wife is in jail.

Edited by brosmith

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

We are in a corrupt world. NO ONE is exempt from sin, no one is too good to falter. It doesn't surprise me there are some IFB pastors who have been corrupt, but thats why we are Independent!
But I do disagree that IFBs don't question the pastor. Thats the reason there is a deacon board, to prevent stuff like this. Pastors have been voted out. Any why do you think our pastors have us have our Bible out while they are preaching? To prove what they are saying! They encourage us to read our Bibles everyday alone so we know the truth and prove what our pastor says. Unlike the Catholic church, that the members believe in blind faith not even knowing how to quote John 3:16.

• Members

David Cloud says it best. AWESOME article.

One of the most disturbing things I have seen is some people who are otherwise good people, getting caught up in this anti-IFB movement...so caught up in the abuse that maybe they saw or experienced in ONE church and then heard hearsay in a couple others (like all of us have) that they have narrowed their focus to a negative Christianity. Satan is truly turning Christians against one another...."a house divided against itself cannot stand".

Its actually a little scary, to me.

• Members

David Cloud says it best. AWESOME article.

One of the most disturbing things I have seen is some people who are otherwise good people, getting caught up in this anti-IFB movement...so caught up in the abuse that maybe they saw or experienced in ONE church and then heard hearsay in a couple others (like all of us have) that they have narrowed their focus to a negative Christianity. Satan is truly turning Christians against one another...."a house divided against itself cannot stand".

Its actually a little scary, to me.

In some of his articles, David Cloud points out the wrongs of Christians, professing Christians, preachers, and even those among our IFB ranks. I would not call that a focus on negativity or turning Christians against one another. The Bible says that judgement must begin at the house of God. Paul also told Timothy to reprove and rebuke.......that's because we are all sinners in need of correction...even us IFB's.

• Members

In some of his articles, David Cloud points out the wrongs of Christians, professing Christians, preachers, and even those among our IFB ranks. I would not call that a focus on negativity or turning Christians against one another. The Bible says that judgement must begin at the house of God. Paul also told Timothy to reprove and rebuke.......that's because we are all sinners in need of correction...even us IFB's.

I'm not talking about David Cloud...I'm talking about a certain group of people who are becoming obsessed with this abuse thing and taking it WAY too far, nursing bitterness and hurts from 20 years ago and its preventing them from going forward for Christ. Its also tainting their view against any Independent Baptist, abuser or not....

As David Cloud mentioned...this abuse goes on everywhere...in the gay community, in the general community, Muslims, in the projects....its abuse. Its wrong. It should be punished. BUT lots of people are abused and they have to choose to get past it and live their life. It doesn't mean you have to hate Christians or Baptist churches....which is what this is turning into, in a small group of people.

• Administrators

I agree with DC on this article. :thumb:

The only thing that I was hoping for was some encouraging words by Cloud about the current pastor that was interviewed. I know, I'm dreaming....... hoping for Cloud to say something encouraging about another Christian. :biggrin:

• Members

I'm not talking about David Cloud...I'm talking about a certain group of people who are becoming obsessed with this abuse thing and taking it WAY too far, nursing bitterness and hurts from 20 years ago and its preventing them from going forward for Christ. Its also tainting their view against any Independent Baptist, abuser or not....

These people really need to heed the Scripture and examine their salvation. Bible believing friends should encourage them in this and attempt to help them through the process.

Scripture tells us that if we don't forgive, God will not forgive. We are warned against bitterness. We are warned that harboring iniquity in our hearts will cause God to pay no heed to our prayers.

For many, they hold on to their "experiences" as if it's a prize to show off. At any given moment they are ready to repeat the wickedness of others, how they can't get over it, how others are just like that and must be dealt with, etc. They not only refuse to forgive, they nurse bitterness in their hearts.