• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Antibiotics in food

• Members

I have just been watching a CBS news report that said antibiotics fed to farm animals were causing antibiotic resistant strains of bacteria in germs causing various problems in humans.

We have banned antibiotics in farm animals feed for just this reason, but several years ago, the US was trying to to get us to import US meat which was banned for just that reason. We feel that the US has fave less stringent food standards than us.

• Members

Yeah, US food standards are low (if you know about it that is). Sadly lots of the pollution too you cannot escape. (flouride, GMOS, etc). Though I heard US recently banned use of antibiotics in meat. Because of that now most meats are labeling themselves as "Natural" I guess to make more money..

• Members

There was the case some years ago when the French tried to get us to import their UHT milk, but the British just do not like UHT milk and only a small amount is sold here. We like pastuerised. There was a cartoon at the time that said that UHT stood for "Utterly Horible Taste." The French mostly use UHT, although pastuerised is available in small quantities in some supermarkets. Some also have fermented milk for the North Africans.

• Members

Another thing which is added to meat is polyphosphates. This makes the meat absorb lots of water. Bacon, for instance boils in its discarded water before yoy can fry it. Food manufacturers say it makes the meat more succulent. We say it makes it soggy. When my mum baked a joint of meat when we were children, she had a bowl of fat with a bit of jelly underneath left. Now you get a bowl of liquid with a bit of fat on top.

• Members

They fill meat with water so they can sell water at the price of meat and make big profits. Off topic a bit, yet if water would burn in our cars and or they thought they could get away with it the oil companies would water down the gas we buy just to increase profits. There's has been companies that have been caught add stuff to gas that drops the octane but increases their profits.

Just my opinion, we have become to sanitary, having done so have weaken our immune system and our bodies cannot fight many viruses or bacteria, therefore what we eat can make us extremely sick, and even cause us our life if it has the least bit of bacteria in it.

So with animals that we use for food there is no easy answers, if they don't give them the antibiotics, we lose, and giving them the antibiotics, again we lose.

Just as the norm is when you've got an illnesses that is thought to be caused by virus or bacteria, the doctor subscribes and antibiotic, for our weaken immune system that comes from our sanitary ways cannot fight it off. If he does not, them you might just die.

• Members

One also has to take care with vegetables and fruits for most are grown with a wide variety of chemicals.

What would do most of us in the West the most good would be to eat what we do in moderation. Our body can process eating a simple cheeseburger (for instance) much better than it can if we gorge on a triple cheeseburger. Our body can handle taking in that small donut far better than it can tolerate us eating 5 or 6 at a time.

• Members

One also has to take care with vegetables and fruits for most are grown with a wide variety of chemicals.

What would do most of us in the West the most good would be to eat what we do in moderation. Our body can process eating a simple cheeseburger (for instance) much better than it can if we gorge on a triple cheeseburger. Our body can handle taking in that small donut far better than it can tolerate us eating 5 or 6 at a time.

I really think that which I put in bold letter would be the major key. Yet remember, in today's world, if it feels good, if it pleasing, if its enjoyable, do it. So Americans set down to eat, they pack their self full as if there will be no more food to eat. Many 3 times per day if not more.

Amazing to, many that hold to vegetable only think they get completely away from chemicals and additives, yet if they buy from the grocery store they do not.

• Moderators

We can no longer get unpasteurized milk in Alberta, and I really miss it! (You could if the farmer only sells locally and not to the milk companies, but what farmer can afford that?) It's so much better for you than the pasteurized stuff. I suppose some people might not be able to handle the enzymes in raw milk, but those of us that grew up on it have no problem. Methinks the government has its nose in too many places it doesn't belong...

• Members

We can no longer get unpasteurized milk in Alberta, and I really miss it! (You could if the farmer only sells locally and not to the milk companies, but what farmer can afford that?) It's so much better for you than the pasteurized stuff. I suppose some people might not be able to handle the enzymes in raw milk, but those of us that grew up on it have no problem. Methinks the government has its nose in too many places it doesn't belong...

No doubt the government has its nose in too many places it doesn't belong!

They have been working to stop farmers in many places in the states from selling raw milk too.

• Members

They have been working to stop farmers in many places in the states from selling raw milk too.

We used to be able to get raw milk, called green top, but I don't think we can now. We have pastuerised in various grades, breakfast milk, extra creamy channel Islands milk, blue top whole milk, `semi skinned 2% cream whicvh is now green top. semi skimmed 1% which is either red or purple top, and skimmed which is .1% and orange top. In France you can only get pastuerised in whole milk and semui skimmed and arabic fermented, but there is little of it, mostly they have UHT, long life milk.

• Members

We used to be able to get raw milk, called green top, but I don't think we can now. We have pastuerised in various grades, breakfast milk, extra creamy channel Islands milk, blue top whole milk, semi skimmed 2% cream which is now green top, semi skimmed 1% which is either orangeor purple top, and skimmed which is 0.1% and red top. In France you can only get pastuerised in whole milk and semi skimmed and Arabic fermented, but there is little of it, you have to search for it in the bigger stores, mostly they have UHT or long life milk. This is sometimes known as ultra pastuerised. I used to use this when I made yoghourt as it saved boiling the milk. Edited by Invicta

• Members

Raw milk is great, if its handled properly, them there is great danger that is unseen.

We use to have 2 dairies within 5 miles of us a few years ago, but they're gone. I don't believe we have one within 30 miles of us anymore.

A few years ago a man brought me some goat's milk. I had told him I would not taste the stuff, but I did, and it was very good, I was surprised. My wife even took a taste of it, she too said it was good.

• Members

Raw milk is great, if its handled properly, them there is great danger that is unseen.

We use to have 2 dairies within 5 miles of us a few years ago, but they're gone. I don't believe we have one within 30 miles of us anymore.

A few years ago a man brought me some goat's milk. I had told him I would not taste the stuff, but I did, and it was very good, I was surprised. My wife even took a taste of it, she too said it was good.

My wife likes goat's cheese. I once had some goat's milk which was quite nice, but sweet, but mostly I find that it tastes like goats smell.

Of course some people are allergic to cow's milk and have to have goat's or sheep's milk. Some are allergic to all three and have to have soya milk.