• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Common or uncommon

• Members

A class mate of mine accepted the call to be pastor at a smaller SBC church. I suppose he has been there more than ten years. His wife kept her member ship at the SBC church, continues to attend church there. I understand, once in a great long while she will attend the church were her husband is pastor.

What is your opinion of such a situation?

• Members

Yes, I stated she kept her membership at the large SBC Church they were attending, kept attending there, only very occasionally will she attend church at the church her husband pastors. When she does they go in two different cars.

My wife spoke with her a time or two at work, she is a school teacher, she stated with her very own mouth. "I'm not going to give up my church, my pastor, my Sunday school class in order to attend church where my husband is the pastor." The only thing I can think about thqt situation, smilie_loco.gif!

• Members

No, that is what it is and has been since he accept the pastor of that church.

I've know 2 other pastors that's wife hardly ever attended church services with their husband.

I just wondered if this was common or uncommon in other places of our country.

• Members

Yes, I stated she kept her membership at the large SBC Church they were attending, kept attending there, only very occasionally will she attend church at the church her husband pastors. When she does they go in two different cars.

My wife spoke with her a time or two at work, she is a school teacher, she stated with her very own mouth. "I'm not going to give up my church, my pastor, my Sunday school class in order to attend church where my husband is the pastor." The only thing I can think about thqt situation, smilie_loco.gif!

Yes, I think that smiley face sums it up nicely.

• Members

Years back in our church there was two of us preachers who had never had a church. the other one, his wife hardly ever attended on Sunday nights. A church called him to preach in view of call, the following Wednesday they called him to be their pastor.

I spoke to him and said something like this, "Your day preaching at that church must have went very well"

He replied, "I don't really understand, after services in the morning I found myself, and my wife, standing in front of the church by our self, it seemed everyone were in their cars and gone and not one talked with us."

I thought that was a bit strange, so I asked him, "How did the evening severices go?"

He said,"About the same at the morning, everyone was gone before the wife and I could speak to any of them."

I know for fact until that Sunday they had never laid an eye on the man, knew nothing about him. I still think that is highly strange.

The first few weeks his wife attended faithful with him, them begin to miss Sunday night services, them stopped going on Sunday night, fairly soon she was seldom at church on Sunday morning. Since the time he left that church, going back to the original church, his wife attends sometimes on Sunday morning.

I want to let everyone know this, the only person I ever speak to about it is my wife, we will talk about it once in a while between ourselves, never saying anything about it to anyone else. My wife and I completely fail to understand such situations.

And I wondered if any of you knew of such situations as this.

• Members

We have two morning services on Sunday. Our pastors wife doesn't attend the early service but she is always there for the "main", second service.

We have a pastors wife who is a member of our church and attends our church faithfully. Her husband is also a member of our church but for some months now has been doing some fill-in and temporary preaching in various churches in the area. This typically requires him having to leave early and drive a good distance. His wife and daughters remain faithful to our church as he is doing this. It's understood that if he ever goes back into full-time pastoring of a church that his wife and daughters will be joining him. For the time being, our church is blessed to have his wife and daughters actively involved in our church. He was actively involved in our church as well until he felt led to take up these temporary openings.

• Members

Excuse me but just sos ya knows. A man has no business pastoring a church when his house is not in order, that includes an obedient wife, dedicated to following her husband as he follows Christ. 1 Timothy 3:5 (For if a man know not how to rule his own house, how shall he take care of the church of God?) I don't care how dedicated to serving his wife is, unless she is following her God given leader she is wrong and he is wrong to continue in that condition.

I have seen similar situations and I would never recommend that any man continue in a pastorate unless his wife is following and supporting him. He is headed for a fall without his home in order. I would suggest also that that man cannot not give biblical counsel to families with his own home not in order.