Online Baptist Community
  • Newest Sermon Entry

• By 1Timothy115 in Devotionals
      Psalms 119:1-8                                         Sep. 5 - Oct. 2, 2019
      1 ALEPH. Blessed are the undefiled in the way, who walk in the law of the LORD.
      2 Blessed are they that keep his testimonies, and that seek him with the whole heart.
      3 They also do no iniquity: they walk in his ways.
      4 Thou hast commanded us to keep thy precepts diligently.
      5 O that my ways were directed to keep thy statutes!
      6 Then shall I not be ashamed, when I have respect unto all thy commandments.
      7 I will praise thee with uprightness of heart, when I shall have learned thy righteous judgments.
      8 I will keep thy statutes: O forsake me not utterly.
      The following verse stood out to me...
      5 O that my ways were directed to keep thy statutes!
      At first glance it seemed to me this person’s soul is poured out with intense desire to have God’s direction in keeping His Word.
      I made a small wood fire in our backyard for my granddaughter, Julia, since she would be staying overnight with us. My wife and Julia stayed outside at the fire for about half an hour. Then, I found myself alone to watch the fire die out on a particularly lovely evening. So I took my verse from above and began to repeat it for memorization. As I repeated the verse, I tried to contemplate the words and apply them to what I was seeing around me. 
      The moon and stars were out now peering through the scattered clouds above.
      [Genesis 1:16 And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also. Genesis 1:17 And God set them in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth, Genesis 1:18 And to rule over the day and over the night, and to divide the light from the darkness: and God saw that it was good.]
      Thought 1         
      The moon has stayed his course since the day God created him, also the stars, obeying the statutes directed by God from the first day they were created. Can you imagine God’s direction to the Moon and stars, “moon you will have a path through the sky above the earth, stars you will occupy the firmament above the moon and be clearly visible in the cloudless night sky.”
      Then, the trees, grass, even the air we breathe obey the statues God gave them from the beginning. None of these creations have souls, none have hearts, none have intelligence, but they all observe God’s statutes, His instructions for their limited time on earth.
      Thought 2
      What if we were like the moon, stars, trees, grass, or the other creations which have no soul? We would be directed to keep God’s statutes without choosing to keep them. This is not the image of God, there would be no dominion over other creatures, or over the earth. We would not be capable of experiencing the joy and peace of learning the love of God
      Genesis 1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
      Philippians 4:7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
      Thought 3 (October 2, 2019)
      Is the psalmist pleading God to force God’s statutes to become the man’s ways? No, he is speaking of his own failure in keeping God’s statutes and his desire to keep them, very much like Paul in Romans 7:14-25.
      God doesn’t work through force to turn men from their ways that they would desire His statutes or desire God Himself. Men must reject (repent) put aside his own ways and voluntarily seek God and His statutes.

Are Pastoral Disqualifications Permanent?

Rate this topic

• Independent Fundamental Baptist

Amazing, simply amazing, throw out Romans, or that is part of Romans at least, and its New Testament Teachings by the Apostle Paul. I love picking and choosing what to accept, them you can go the direction you desire.

By the way, the Romans teachings does agree with other New Testament teachings.

I really don't see how those verses from Romans couldn't apply. They are in accord with the rest of Scripture, New and Old.

Amazing, simply amazing, throw out Romans, or that is part of Romans at least, and its New Testament Teachings by the Apostle Paul. I love picking and choosing what to accept, them you can go the direction you desire.

By the way, the Romans teachings does agree with other New Testament teachings.

We're all here to learn about the Bible. You've used the verses in Romans out of context for this particular discussion. No one said throw out Romans or pick and choose Bible verses. Didn't someone earlier mention Matthew is written primarily to the Jew? Did you get so upset over that, no, well why now? This chapter of Romans is discussing the Law given to Moses for the Jew.

Some of us (me included) may be forming a final and personal understanding of all this. This is one area I'd not studied in great detail but have always heard it preached...once divorced never a pastor. So, I've seen good arguments from many here and had yet to compile it internally. I've since gone to Strongs, compared all the scriptures presented, and full well believe a man should not be a pastor if he has been divorced. You're taking this too personal.

Didn't someone earlier mention Matthew is written primarily to the Jew? Did you get so upset over that, no, well why now? This chapter of Romans is discussing the Law given to Moses for the Jew.

Just wanted to touch on this since I believe I was the one that said this. My point was not that Matthew was not applicable to non-jews, my point was that it was written to people with a Jewish background and an understanding of Jewish custom. A understanding of Jewish custom his helpful in understanding a few things in the book. This is contrary to some of the other gospels which either leave out references to Jewish custom or make a point of explaining them if they are mentioned.

So if an engaged person breaks up with a girl because she dressed immodestly then that girl can never get married again or she'll be guilty of adultery, even if she’s a virgin? I hope you understand if I don't agree with your interpretation, Seth. That was a really good post though and I appreciate it.

In our culture engagement is not a marriage, it isn't anywhere near as serious. It is more of a general declaration of intent, and can be broken just by one or both individuals having a change of heart. Jewish betrothal was a much more serious matter. It was considered marriage, but a unconsummated one. It actually required a divorce to get out of it which is why Joseph who was "not willing to make her a public example" was minded to "put her away" privatively when mary was found with child. Today if your fiancée is discovered to be pregnant and you never had immoral relations with her you don't have to divorce her, there is no concrete commitment anyway. You just tell her you have changed your mind. In our culture there really is no such thing as a "betrothal" period in the same sense the Jews had one. Even if someone chooses to call "engagement", "betrothal", today they really don't mean what it meant back then. It would be more the equivalent of a couple on their wedding day that have already said their vows and are married but yet haven't actually come together yet.

Besides, if divorce was always a sin for both parties, God would have never spoken of Himself divorcing Israel, spiritually or not, for the cause of adultery (which is specific to married, non-engaged people) multiple times in the Old Testament.

I assume you are speaking of Jeremiah 3:8 and taking that as a stand alone verse leading to an improper interpretation. If there was no context I would have to agree with you but if you look at the context it wasn't that God had divorced Israel, it was that Israel had divorced him, but yet in spite of that he still considered himself married to them. Lets look at the whole passage to make it a bit clearer hopefully. I will underline a few of the most pertinent places and enlarge the print in two spots.

Jeremiah 3:6-22 The LORD said also unto me in the days of Josiah the king, Hast thou seen that which backsliding Israel hath done? she is gone up upon every high mountain and under every green tree, and there hath played the harlot. And I said after she had done all these things, Turn thou unto me. But she returned not. And her treacherous sister Judah saw it. And I saw, when for all the causes whereby backsliding Israel committed adultery I had put her away, and given her a bill of divorce; yet her treacherous sister Judah feared not, but went and played the harlot also. And it came to pass through the lightness of her whoredom, that she defiled the land, and committed adultery with stones and with stocks. And yet for all this her treacherous sister Judah hath not turned unto me with her whole heart, but feignedly, saith the LORD. And the LORD said unto me, The backsliding Israel hath justified herself more than treacherous Judah. Go and proclaim these words toward the north, and say, Return, thou backsliding Israel, saith the LORD; and I will not cause mine anger to fall upon you: for I am merciful, saith the LORD, and I will not keep anger for ever. Only acknowledge thine iniquity, that thou hast transgressed against the LORD thy God, and hast scattered thy ways to the strangers under every green tree, and ye have not obeyed my voice, saith the LORD. Turn, O backsliding children, saith the LORD; for I am married unto you: and I will take you one of a city, and two of a family, and I will bring you to Zion: And I will give you pastors according to mine heart, which shall feed you with knowledge and understanding. And it shall come to pass, when ye be multiplied and increased in the land, in those days, saith the LORD, they shall say no more, The ark of the covenant of the LORD: neither shall it come to mind: neither shall they remember it; neither shall they visit it; neither shall that be done any more. At that time they shall call Jerusalem the throne of the LORD; and all the nations shall be gathered unto it, to the name of the LORD, to Jerusalem: neither shall they walk any more after the imagination of their evil heart. In those days the house of Judah shall walk with the house of Israel, and they shall come together out of the land of the north to the land that I have given for an inheritance unto your fathers. But I said, How shall I put thee among the children, and give thee a pleasant land, a goodly heritage of the hosts of nations? and I said, Thou shalt call me, My father; and shalt not turn away from me. Surely as a wife treacherously departeth from her husband, so have ye dealt treacherously with me, O house of Israel, saith the LORD. A voice was heard upon the high places, weeping and supplications of the children of Israel: for they have perverted their way, and they have forgotten the LORD their God. Return, ye backsliding children, and I will heal your backslidings. Behold, we come unto thee; for thou art the LORD our God.

So lets break this passage down, first Israel "commits adultery" against God, then God says " Turn thou unto me". Israel refuses. Then Israel gets the bill of divorcement from God. Up to this point it would it would not be unreasonable to assume that God was divorcing Israel for adultery and refusing to repent, yet the following verses show that it was Israel that "demanded" the divorce and not God. So lets move on. AFTER this bill of divorcement has been given God AGAIN calls on Israel to return to him. That right there would be enough to show that it is Israel that is divorcing God not the other way around. If you willfully just divorced someone you don't immediately try to get them to come back, and God does call them yet again. Not only that, but after the bill of divorcement has been given and God calls them to return he STILL says "I am married unto you". God obviously did not consider that he was divorced from them even though they were divorced from him.

I really don't see how those verses from Romans couldn't apply. They are in accord with the rest of Scripture, New and Old.

I give up on this issue. When any person decides that certain parts of the Bible is not to be used by us, they them are free to make their own rules.

I recall a long time back we had some dispersion believing people that claimed that certain parts of the New Testament does not apply to us, they also believed there was more than one way for man to be saved.

2Ti 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
2Ti 3:17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

Yet the Holy Scriptures them self says, "All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness..."

I give up on this issue. When any person decides that certain parts of the Bible is not to be used by us, they them are free to make their own rules.

I recall a long time back we had some dispersion believing people that claimed that certain parts of the New Testament does not apply to us, they also believed there was more than one way for man to be saved.

2Ti 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
2Ti 3:17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

Yet the Holy Scriptures them self says, "All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness..."

I'm not sure why you say you are giving up. My post agreed with your position. I said that I believe those verses in Romans DO apply and I said they are in agreement with the rest of Scripture on the topic, both in the Old and New Testaments.

• Advanced Member

No, they're the qualifications for a New Testament pastor, whither you agree or disagree.

Context, brother. Paul was concerned how the man of God appeared in the community. If a man was called by God to be a pastor but blows it along the line for whatever reason doesn't mean that calling was revoke. You don't "qualify" yourself in front of God but in front of people.

"Moreover he must have a good report of them which are without"- I Timothy 3:7(a)

I'm not sure why you say you are giving up. My post agreed with your position. I said that I believe those verses in Romans DO apply and I said they are in agreement with the rest of Scripture on the topic, both in the Old and New Testaments.

I know you agreed, but there is no need to debate with someone after they throw out parts of the Scriptures saying they do not count in this matter.