• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Tradition - what are your thoughts?

Guest "I am chief"

• Members

No I did not say that we have no custom, tradition. We have many traditions, we have church services on Sunday morning. Generally we start with the tradition of singing hymns and praying, we have the tradition of that starting at 10:00 AM. After the hymns we have the traditions of having Sunday school. We have the tradition of Sunday school ending before 11:00 AM. Generally at 11:00 AM we have the tradition, custom, of starting off with some hymns. After which we have the tradition of saying a prayer and taking up the offering. Generally after that we have the tradition of singing a few more songs, maybe more prayers, them having the preaching services.

We also have the custom, tradition, of having Sunday night services.

Jesus held to a tradition in order to teach us to attend public worship, notice His custom in the verse below.

Lu 4:16 And he came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up: and, as his
custom was, he went into the synagogue on the sabbath day, and stood up for
to read.

Jerry,

Thank you for clearing that up for me.

Paul was speaking of Biblical Doctrine, not denominational doctrine.

Thanks for clearing that up; as long as we understand that its just your denomination's ideas you present. We can live with that and take it with a grain of salt.

• Members

With all due respect, shouldn't we all view scripture thourgh the same filter?

Yes, we should view Scripture as God intended, but our own biases/viewpoints/beliefs, etc., can influence how we interpret certain passages of Scripture. That's what has led to the multiple denominations we have today. There are different viewpoints even among IFSB folks, i.e., dispensationalism vs convenant theology. Depending on which of those you believe determines how you would interpret certain Scriptures.

In another thread, someone asked if a pastor is qualified if he marries a divorced woman, even though she would be his only wife. I believe that would disqualify a man from the pastorate based on my reading of Luke 16:18. But other IFSB churches don't see that situation as a disqualifier.

• Members

Yes, we should view Scripture as God intended, but our own biases/viewpoints/beliefs, etc., can influence how we interpret certain passages of Scripture. That's what has led to the multiple denominations we have today. There are different viewpoints even among IFSB folks, i.e., dispensationalism vs convenant theology. Depending on which of those you believe determines how you would interpret certain Scriptures.

In another thread, someone asked if a pastor is qualified if he marries a divorced woman, even though she would be his only wife. I believe that would disqualify a man from the pastorate based on my reading of Luke 16:18. But other IFSB churches don't see that situation as a disqualifier.

But, when we begin to allow "our own biases/viewpoints/beliefs, etc," to cloud how we interpret scripture, we are failing to please God. We are to "interpret" scripture through scripture not through our own view point. I don't deny that you are correct in what you say about allowing our own biases to get in the way but that does not make it right. Perhaps that is why we have so many denominations.

• Members
But, when we begin to allow "our own biases/viewpoints/beliefs, etc," to cloud how we interpret scripture, we are failing to please God. We are to "interpret" scripture through scripture not through our own view point. I don't deny that you are correct in what you say about allowing our own biases to get in the way but that does not make it right. Perhaps that is why we have so many denominations.

I agree - you're preaching to the choir. It bothers me when people (including pastors) say, "This is what God told me about this passage" and it goes against what God taught me about the same passage. Both can't be right.

• Members

I agree - you're preaching to the choir. It bothers me when people (including pastors) say, "This is what God told me about this passage" and it goes against what God taught me about the same passage. Both can't be right.

Both arn't right. It is sad to see so many who willfully or blindly choose to believe those things which are so clearly false. It saddens me to see those who get mad when someone honestly points out the error of their way rather than openly seeing the truth.

• Members

Do our viewpoints begin with Scripture, or with what we are taught? (i.e. tradition, because we are taught by sermons rather than systematic Bible study.) Also it is the teaching of our first Pastor/elder that gives us our basic understanding of Scripture. As we mature in the faith, search the Scriptures & read books, & discuss theology, our views develop & may change.

I know that some on this forum disagree with my covenant theology, but "covenant" (or "testament") occurs over 300 times in Scripture, & our Bibles are divided into only 2 Testaments. "Dispensation" does not occur in the OT & in the 4 times in the NT, means "stewardship" rather than the meaning given by dispensationalists.

I am charged with coming here & trying to change the views of IFBs. Is there a consistent belief system for IFBs & eschatology? Has this site a doctrinal basis? The British FIEC has a basis of faith that is basically I, F, & B, deliberately framed to allow for disagreement on matters where Bible-believing evangelicals disagree.

8. BAPTISM AND THE LORD'S SUPPER
Baptism and the Lord's Supper have been given to the churches by Christ as visible signs of the gospel. Baptism is a symbol of union with Christ and entry into his Church but does not impart spiritual life. The Lord's Supper is a commemoration of Christ's sacrifice offered once for all and involves no change in the bread and wine. All its blessings are received by faith.

9. THE FUTURE
The Lord Jesus Christ will return in glory. He will raise the dead and judge the world in righteousness. The wicked will be sent to eternal punishment and the righteous will be welcomed into a life of eternal joy in fellowship with God. God will make all things new and will be glorified forever.

The mode of baptism is not specified, nor is there a statement on the millennium.

• Members

Do our viewpoints begin with Scripture, or with what we are taught? (i.e. tradition, because we are taught by sermons rather than systematic Bible study.) Also it is the teaching of our first Pastor/elder that gives us our basic understanding of Scripture. As we mature in the faith, search the Scriptures & read books, & discuss theology, our views develop & may change.

I know that some on this forum disagree with my covenant theology, but "covenant" (or "testament") occurs over 300 times in Scripture, & our Bibles are divided into only 2 Testaments. "Dispensation" does not occur in the OT & in the 4 times in the NT, means "stewardship" rather than the meaning given by dispensationalists.

I am charged with coming here & trying to change the views of IFBs. Is there a consistent belief system for IFBs & eschatology? Has this site a doctrinal basis? The British FIEC has a basis of faith that is basically I, F, & B, deliberately framed to allow for disagreement on matters where Bible-believing evangelicals disagree.

The mode of baptism is not specified, nor is there a statement on the millennium.

The question isn't whether I began "my viewpoints" with someone teaching me but was that teaching from the Word of God. If you teach me A and it is not from the Word of God then I must reject A. My beliefs are to begin and end with the Word of God since it is the only source of authority which I have.

• Members

Bit off topic, maybe.

It gets me when you have those people that says two people who have a different opinion are both right, he is right to do what he does in his church and or situation, your right to do what you did in your church or situation. I fail how anyone can come to that conclusion, that two opinions that contradict each other can both be right.

It would be nice if there was some way for each of us to remove the influence that the world has on us when it comes to determining what is right in the sight of God. Some seem to claim they can and will be quick to tell you that they're always right.

I know of 2, or maybe 3, churches that ordained a pastor that was married to a divorce woman, 2 churches that ordained a pastor that was divorced and remarried. I was totally shocked at the churches that did this.

• Members

Your charged with coming here? What does that mean? If that is so, perhaps you should not be here. Yes, if what I put in bold above is true, you should be sent on your happy way.

• Members

Your charged with coming here? What does that mean? If that is so, perhaps you should not be here. Yes, if what I put in bold above is true, you should be sent on your happy way.

I believe he means charged in the sense of being accused of not being assigned the duty of, though I can not speak for him.

• Members

Thanks for clearing that up; as long as we understand that its just your denomination's ideas you present. We can live with that and take it with a grain of salt.

I don't think he was saying what you are suggesting Tim, though I can not speak for anyone but myself.

• Members

Bit off topic, maybe.

It gets me when you have those people that says two people who have a different opinion are both right, he is right to do what he does in his church and or situation, your right to do what you did in your church or situation. I fail how anyone can come to that conclusion, that two opinions that contradict each other can both be right.

It would be nice if there was some way for each of us to remove the influence that the world has on us when it comes to determining what is right in the sight of God. Some seem to claim they can and will be quick to tell you that they're always right.

I know of 2, or maybe 3, churches that ordained a pastor that was married to a divorce woman, 2 churches that ordained a pastor that was divorced and remarried. I was totally shocked at the churches that did this.

Are we speaking of scriptural divorce and remarriage?

• Members

I believe he means charged in the sense of being accused of not being assigned the duty of, though I can not speak for him.

That's what I meant, Dan. My concern is understanding Scripture, applying it & preaching Christ as Saviour, Lord, God & King.

I know that there are many eschatological views represented here. Should we all go away because we don't agree with the interpretation of Scripture, even though we are united in Christ & his Gospel? I have made friends here, & had "Amens" to my posts.

When we disagree, should we go back & search the Scriptures, or expel those who disagree. Am I disagreeing with individuals, or with essential doctrine of IFBs? Do IFBs reject covenant theology?

I don't think he was saying what you are suggesting Tim, though I can not speak for anyone but myself.

I thought maybe there had been a break through.