Online Baptist Community
  • Newest Sermon Entry

• By 1Timothy115 in Devotionals
      Psalms 119:1-8                                         Sep. 5 - Oct. 2, 2019
      1 ALEPH. Blessed are the undefiled in the way, who walk in the law of the LORD.
      2 Blessed are they that keep his testimonies, and that seek him with the whole heart.
      3 They also do no iniquity: they walk in his ways.
      4 Thou hast commanded us to keep thy precepts diligently.
      5 O that my ways were directed to keep thy statutes!
      6 Then shall I not be ashamed, when I have respect unto all thy commandments.
      7 I will praise thee with uprightness of heart, when I shall have learned thy righteous judgments.
      8 I will keep thy statutes: O forsake me not utterly.
      The following verse stood out to me...
      5 O that my ways were directed to keep thy statutes!
      At first glance it seemed to me this person’s soul is poured out with intense desire to have God’s direction in keeping His Word.
      I made a small wood fire in our backyard for my granddaughter, Julia, since she would be staying overnight with us. My wife and Julia stayed outside at the fire for about half an hour. Then, I found myself alone to watch the fire die out on a particularly lovely evening. So I took my verse from above and began to repeat it for memorization. As I repeated the verse, I tried to contemplate the words and apply them to what I was seeing around me. 
      The moon and stars were out now peering through the scattered clouds above.
      [Genesis 1:16 And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also. Genesis 1:17 And God set them in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth, Genesis 1:18 And to rule over the day and over the night, and to divide the light from the darkness: and God saw that it was good.]
      Thought 1         
      The moon has stayed his course since the day God created him, also the stars, obeying the statutes directed by God from the first day they were created. Can you imagine God’s direction to the Moon and stars, “moon you will have a path through the sky above the earth, stars you will occupy the firmament above the moon and be clearly visible in the cloudless night sky.”
      Then, the trees, grass, even the air we breathe obey the statues God gave them from the beginning. None of these creations have souls, none have hearts, none have intelligence, but they all observe God’s statutes, His instructions for their limited time on earth.
      Thought 2
      What if we were like the moon, stars, trees, grass, or the other creations which have no soul? We would be directed to keep God’s statutes without choosing to keep them. This is not the image of God, there would be no dominion over other creatures, or over the earth. We would not be capable of experiencing the joy and peace of learning the love of God
      Genesis 1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
      Philippians 4:7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
      Thought 3 (October 2, 2019)
      Is the psalmist pleading God to force God’s statutes to become the man’s ways? No, he is speaking of his own failure in keeping God’s statutes and his desire to keep them, very much like Paul in Romans 7:14-25.
      God doesn’t work through force to turn men from their ways that they would desire His statutes or desire God Himself. Men must reject (repent) put aside his own ways and voluntarily seek God and His statutes.

Church of Christ

Rate this topic

DennisD

Tim, first allow me to say that there is no passage, not one, in the NT nor in the OT that explicitly states, "thou shalt not use mechanical instruments." But then again you can not provide even 1 passage in the NT (which is what we are under now) that gives you a command to use it, nor an example of their use in NT worship, nor can you provide even 1 passage that implies (inferrence) that we are to use them. Where is your authority? You go back to the OT to try to find it. We are not under the OT any longer.

No, I don't place anything above scripture, but I do recognize the fact that the example (both in the NT and in secular writtings) of the apostles and others of that time is a valid example to look at. I do believe that inspired men carry more weight that does those who have nothing more that men's traditions to offer. The inspired apostles and others of that time did not use them. You use them, not because you have authority for it but because of men's traditions which began with the catholic church around 1000 AD.

If you could provide one scripture reference which forbids the use of a piano or other "mechanical" music device in New Testament Christian churches someone might listen to you. Otherwise, the CoC is no different than the Catholic Church in that regard, dogma/history of the church carry more weight than scripture.

Your argument holds no water. If it held water then, you could not use a mechanical device to attend worship services. That's right NO CARS allowed for travel to worship services. If I were an English teacher and you were writing a paper I would have to tell you your argument for your supposition is invalid. You're basing your argument on pure preference and dogmatic tradition from your church.
"Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching." -Hebrews 10:25 No where in the O.T. or N.T. can you find a scripture telling you to get in a mechanical device to attend "assembling" i.e. worship services.

MODIFIED BELOW...QUOTING YOU...
first allow me to say that there is no passage, not one, in the NT nor in the OT that explicitly states, "thou shalt not use mechanical instruments transportation." But then again you can not provide even 1 passage in the NT (which is what we are under now) that gives you a command to use it, nor an example of their use in NT worship, nor can you provide even 1 passage that implies (inferrence) that we are to use them. Where is your authority? You go back to the OT to try to find it. We are not under the OT any longer.

I do recognize the fact that the example (both in the NT and in secular writtings) of the apostles and others of that time is a valid example to look at. I do believe that inspired men carry more weight that than does do those who have nothing more that men's traditions to offer. The inspired apostles and others of that time did not use them. You use them, not because you have authority for it but because of men's traditions which began with the catholic church around 1000 AD invention of the automobile around 1900 AD.

Based on your argument...START WALKING to Sunday Services.

Can't you see how absurd your argument is?
Now, on the other hand, if you want to say you don't use mechanical instruments in service because of preference, that's fine. Don't use them because of preference but, don't attempt to say it is because you are following the teaching of the Bible. Don't attempt to make a doctrine out of something that is not clearly spelled out in scripture.

• Independent Fundamental Baptist

It's amazing how dispensationally wacky Church of Christ folks get. I showed one how musical instruments were used over and over again in the Old Testament during praise, but he threw that out because it was OT. Then some lady in their church who had been committing adultery repented and shaved all her hair off as a form of cleansing, something they got from the Old Testament. :smilie_loco:4

Edited by Rick Schworer

The topic, church of Christ, is such a broad subject, and I answered the question if using music instruments was a sin with a no, yet as I said, this other is of much greater importance, in fact, its the most important.

You asked, "How many times is the question "What must I do to be saved?" Of which I have already answer, Paul says it this way, that is should a person want to be saved..

Ro 10:9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.
Ro 10:10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

To be saved, confess the Lord Jesus with your mouth, believe in thine heart that God hath raised Him from the dead, and thou shall be saved. Simple isn't it, not even no baptizing. In other words he is saying the same thing that Ephesians 2:8.9, says

Eph 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
Eph 2:9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.

Grace, plus faith, to be saved, there is nothing possible for you do in order to gain salvation for its not of self, not of works, its a gif, yet you just can't resist adding to it, water baptism, its so hard to accept a free gift, it just seem there has to be something done to get that gift of salvation outside of faith and believing, so many add water baptism. When in fact, Jesus is enough. Jesus saves, water, a baptistery, has never saved anyone.

If, that is if I believe one had to be baptized in order to be saved, myself being a Baptist pastor, I would have to take a baptistery every where I went just in case there was not a body of water handy just in case I come across someone wanting to be saved. There is no way that I could witness to anyone, talking to them about being saved, telling them that they will have to attend the next church services in order to be baptized and fit for heaven, and that it they died before they could be baptized that they could not enter heaven. But I don't have to fear that, because God's Word tells us, "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation."

Now I know why that beautiful old song says, "Amazing grace, and not, "Amazing Baptistery," for its all about that amazing grace that our Lord shown and offered to such worms as us.

I am grateful for the opportunity to discuss the Lord’s church and specific topics related to the church of Christ. I must admit that it is a lot of work trying to have multiple discussions with so many people on multiple topics; I will do my best and hope that you will forgive me if I miss anyone’s specific issue. In order to try to better handle this, I will write on the specific issues rather than trying to answer each and every post separately. I will identify the specific person and post # which is found in the top right corner. I hope that this will be helpful and easier to keep up with. It will certainly cut down on the number of post that I am putting on here.

Now, to the specific issue of salvation: Jerry, you are at this moment the only one focusing on this issue so it should be rather easy to keep up with the conversation. I will first deal with the specific passages/issues that you put forth and then will turn to my previous question.

You present some wonderful passages which discuss salvation. Romans 10:9-10 and Eph 2:8-10 (you only list 8-9 but 10 must be included) are two passages which I frequently use in discussion of the topic of salvation. These passages discuss the importance of Grace, faith, confession and the role that each plays in man’s salvation.

First, we see that Eph 2:8-10 clearly teaches us that we are saved by grace. This is of course God’s part. God has graciously given us that which we certainly do not deserve and that is a means by which we can be saved. We know that He has given that means to you and to me and to every person who has or will ever live. Titus 2:11 tells us that that saving grace has appeared to all men. We know that not all men will be saved so there must be something more. I believe that is a simple thing to understand and that you and I would agree on that point.

Obviously, we can see the importance of faith. Eph 2:8-10 not only tells us that we are saved by grace but that it is by grace through faith. No problem there. We both agree on that point. We can further see that faith is a part of salvation in Rom 10:9-10. We must believe that God has raised him (Jesus) from the dead. There are many other passages that teach that faith is required. We can think of John 3:16, Acts 8:31, etc.

We can also see that confession is important. I don’t think that you and I would have any disagreement on that fact. Rom 10:9-10 tells us that we must confess. Jesus tells us in Matt 10:32-33 that we must confess Him before men. We read in Acts 8:37 of the Ethiopian Eunuch and his confession.

You did not mention repentance but I doubt we would have much problem with agreeing on the need to repent. The Bible certainly teaches us that we must repent. Jesus stated as much in Luke 13:3-5. We are told to do so in Acts 2:38, 3:19 etc. We are given the example of Saul/Paul would was certainly penitent (Acts 9, 22, 26). I believe you would agree with this fact. Please correct me if I am wrong? I might add that neither of the two passages you mentioned discusses repentance. This demonstrates that we can not take these two passages alone and say that that is all that is involved.

Now, where we clearly have an issue is the subject of baptism. Your disagreement is not with me but with the Word of God since it is what tells us that we must be baptized. We are given the express statement “He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved…” That isn’t all that difficult to understand unless we don’t wish to understand it. Now, I am certain that you will point out that Jesus did not mention baptism in the second part of Mark 16:16. But this is simply ignoring the fact that He did say it in the first part. Let us also remember that if I don’t believe then I won’t be baptized. After all, what would I accomplish other than to get wet? We can read in many other passages that we must be baptized. Rom 6:3ff, Gal 3:27, Col 2:12, Acts 2:38, 22:16, etc. I realize that some might say that this is not speaking of water baptism but it is in fact speaking exactly of that. There is but 1 baptism (Eph 4:5) That baptism is clearly identified in Acts 19:1ff, John 3:23, Acts 8:36ff.

Now, as to my question: I asked how many times the question “what must I do to be saved?” (in one form or another) in the NT. The answer is 4. I will hold off about putting any further info and give you the chance to look these four up. I hope that you will and see what the answer is in each of the 4.

Now, let us turn to the topic of mechanical instruments (MI). There are multiple people involved in this discussion so I will attempt to answer any and all points in this one post rather than posting individual replies. Forgive me if I miss one of your points; I will try my best to get to each one. Again, I will try to post the specific post number which is found in the top right hand of each post.

Seth, (post 38), you failed to list even one passage that says that it is ok to use MI in NT worship services. The passages which you did list (Matt 5:17, 1 Cor 10:11, 2 Tim 3:16-17) does not in any way justify MI. Yes, the OT is inspired. Yes, it is there for our benefit, for our learning (Rom 15:4) and yes, Christ came to fulfill rather than to destroy. He did fulfill and it was nailed to His cross (Col 2:14).

Here is a thought for you. What does 2 Peter 1:3 tell us? It tells us that God has provided to us everything pertaining to life and Godliness (of course we are under the NT which is what Peter is discussing). We are not told that we are to use MI in NT worship. Therefore, it must not pertain to life and Godliness. Rom 10:17 tells us that faith comes from the Word of God (NT in our case). We are not told to use MI in the NT worship. Therefore it must not be of faith that MI is used.

It amazes me how everyone keeps bringing up things which do not have anything to do with worshipping God. Toilets (post 9), English translations (38), Buildings (38), Automobiles (41), shoes (40) are all brought up to try to justify the use of MI in NT worship. Again, not one of these has anything to do with proper worship. Not one of these in anyway changes the worship of God. If this is the best anyone has then there isn’t much that you have to “hang your hat on” in relation to MI.

Seth, you say that “Biblically Christians have liberty to do anything they like as long as it is not sin in and of itself, and is not a bad testimony and stumbling block to others that leads them astray.” I suppose that you can use hamburgers and coke on the Lord’s Supper if you so desire. We both know better than that. Yet we have no command not to. The Bible is clear as to how man is to worship God.

It says that we are to do so in spirit and in truth (John 4:23-24). Remember that truth is in fact the Word of God (John 17:17). We will focus our discussion on the singing aspect of worship rather than each aspect of worship. We are told to sing (Eph 5:19, Col 3:16). I am told to do so with understanding (1 Cor 14:15). I am told what to sing and what singing is for (Eph 5:19, Col 3:16). Yet, I am not told in even 1 passage in the NT that I am to play a MI. Surely God is smart enough to know what He wants, isn’t He? Surely if He want MI, he would have given command or even an example of their use in the NT and yet He did not do so. Why?

I so often hear someone make the argument that God has not told us NOT to use them. He did not give us any command NOT to use them. IF only He would have said thou shalt NOT use MI, I would not use them. How many of those same people would agree with that same argument if it was turned against them. What if “Bob” was to go to the repair shop and tell the mechanic that he wanted his car’s oil changed? He leaves the car there and goes shopping with his wife. Upon returning a few hours later he finds a bill which is not only for an oil change but also includes 4 new tires and a paint job. Bob tells his mechanic that he did not authorize him to do such. To which the mechanic replies…you did not tell me not to either. Would Bob pay the bill? Would the law expect him to? Why is it we would have no problem understanding this in our own lives but when God tells us what he wants, we think he also has to tell us what he did not want?

Noah is a prime example of what could have been done. God said use Gopher wood. What if Noah had have chosen to include pine and cedar and maybe some oak, after all, God did not say not to, did He?

Jerry, you are talking about a pitch pipe. (39) We do not use a pitch pipe at the congregation that I am with though I have seen it used. It is blown to find the pitch and then put away prior to singing. It is not used as a part of the worship service and does not change worship to God in any way. If it was used while singing, I would be the first to say that the Bible does not permit it.

Covenant (40) once again you go to the OT. We are under the NT. Please provide even 1 verse in the NT which authorizes the use of MI in NT worship. Until then, you are simply offering your own desire over that of God’s Word.

Covenant, sin is sin. It is all the transgression of the Law (1 John 3:4) or failing to do that which we know is good (James 4:17). The wages of sin is death Rom 6:23 and it separates us from God (Isa 59:1-2).

But, we are not abiding in Him if we are not continuing to obey Him.

Rick ( 42), Rick, Rick Rick…..where do I even begin? Are you suggesting that because one person who claims to be a member of the church of Christ did something which has no bases on scripture (the lady you mentioned) that we all are somehow confused? Surely you can see the lack of any understanding in that? I see so many different views among the IFB on this very site. Am I to take the views of one and then label you as believing that even though you don’t? Are there those who profess to be faithful members of the Lord’s church who teach and/or practice error? Certainly…I can name more than one; but whatever any one person teaches, the word still says what it says and it does not authorize the use of MI.

Is it really profitable to go down this road again? :icon_rolleyes:

I, for one, would be interested in learning the doctrine of the CoC, but can we please avoid repeating this whole 'baptism & salvation' discussion?

We could talk about church membership and salvation.

coc333 again, yawn.gif, it seems to me you can use the OT when convenient (your reference to Isaiah), and when Paul wrote the book of Romans there were only 5 other NT (he had writen)+/- books written, the Word of God in existence at that time was the OT. Just my twocents.gif

Edited by Bro Jim

It amazes me how everyone keeps bringing up things which do not have anything to do with worshipping God. Toilets (post 9), English translations (38), Buildings (38), Automobiles (41), shoes (40) are all brought up to try to justify the use of MI in NT worship. Again, not one of these has anything to do with proper worship. Not one of these in anyway changes the worship of God. If this is the best anyone has then there isn’t much that you have to “hang your hat on” in relation to MI.

There is no doudt in my mind that you are amazed and easily at that. I'm beginning to understand...if you have no Biblical basis for your Church dogma then you resort to Catholic style avoidance. CoC and RCC both have two Cs in them...I see the similarity now.

Is it really profitable to go down this road again? :icon_rolleyes:

I, for one, would be interested in learning the doctrine of the CoC, but can we please avoid repeating this whole 'baptism & salvation' discussion?

I cannot understand you making this comment, salvation is the most important thing, without it a soul will go to hell to be punished forever. There is never a season that it is not proper to speak about salvation. And without salvation a person cannot under stand God, its a life heart changing experience.

And I can't imagine anyone being opposed to the path to salvation to be proclaim, unless its a lost person that knows not God. And we know quite well that the lost cannot discern God's Word.

1Co 2:14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

Yes, until they are 1st saved, they cannot understand spiritual implications of God's Word.

Seems only a lost person and or one that holds to the Calvinist doctrine would oppose to seeing a plan of salvation laid out in a place were a lost person might be. But that is off topic under this topic. But salvation is never off topic.

[

Seth, you say that “Biblically Christians have liberty to do anything they like as long as it is not sin in and of itself, and is not a bad testimony and stumbling block to others that leads them astray.” I suppose that you can use hamburgers and coke on the Lord’s Supper if you so desire. We both know better than that. Yet we have no command not to. The Bible is clear as to how man is to worship God.

Yes. If a church wanted to have hamburgers and softdrinks at the Lords supper in addition to the unleavened bread and grape juice that specifically represents the body and blood of the Lord they would have the liberty to do so as long as it wasn't a situation like the one in the Corinthian church where they were sinning because some were bring large amounts of food and partying and even getting drunk(sin in and of itself) while others were poor and didn't even have enough to eat and were being shamed by the more wealthy. It might seem odd, since most of us are probably used to a tiny cup and a little piece of a "cracker" instead of a real meal but there wouldn't be anything "wrong" with eating a full meal or any acceptable food or drink items along with the unleavened bread and grape juice provided it was done in a careful manner that did not invite sin. That would mean making sure no one was tempted toward gluttony, food was fairly distributed so that some were not ending up with a lot of the "good stuff" while others were getting stuff not nearly so good and not much of it at that, etc. The hassles of regulating that properly as well as the difficulty of providing enough food for everyone is probably why the majority of churches started using the tiny cup and little piece of cracker instead of a real meal. That preserves the symbolism which is the most important aspect, makes sure everything is fair and equal, and certainly doesn't tempt anyone to gluttony. Edited by Seth-Doty

Jim, perhaps I have not been as clear as I need to be. I am not saying that the OT is not useful. I am not saying that we can not use it to learn principles. What I am saying and what the Bible does teach is that we do not look to the OT to know what “acts of worship” that we are taught to offer to the Lord. We are not to follow the OT commands. I hope that I am a bit clearer in what I am saying now. Certainly the Word is clear even when we are not.

Tim, you are funny.

Seth, you are not. All I can say is WOW!!!!!!......WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I cannot understand you making this comment, salvation is the most important thing, without it a soul will go to hell to be punished forever. There is never a season that it is not proper to speak about salvation. And without salvation a person cannot under stand God, its a life heart changing experience.

And I can't imagine anyone being opposed to the path to salvation to be proclaim, unless its a lost person that knows not God. And we know quite well that the lost cannot discern God's Word.

1Co 2:14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

Yes, until they are 1st saved, they cannot understand spiritual implications of God's Word.

Seems only a lost person and or one that holds to the Calvinist doctrine would oppose to seeing a plan of salvation laid out in a place were a lost person might be. But that is off topic under this topic. But salvation is never off topic.

Jerry, I must say that I agree with you in as much as it is always the right time to discuss salvation.

Obviously, we do not agree on what in fact in involved in salvation nor on some of the other comments you made in this post but it is always the right time to discuss salvation.

Tim, you are funny.

Even in the OT David had the liberty to eat the shewbread that was technically only lawful for the priests to eat since he understood the meaning of it, how much more would we have liberty in the NT age to eat a full meal in at the "Lords supper" considering that there is nothing that would say otherwise and fully understanding the meaning of his body and shed blood and victory over sin and death? Anything I could eat or drink in good conscience at any time I could eat or drink in equally good conscience at a supper in remembrance of Christ where the unleavened bread, the symbol of his body and his holiness, and the grape juice, the symbol of his blood and sacrifice was eaten. Why not? Can't think of any reason why not but habit, tradition, and the potential problems with doing it on a congregational level that I mentioned in a previous post.

Jesus is Lord of the Lord's supper as well as the sabbath. :wink

"1 Corinthians 10:31 Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God."

Jerry, I must say that I agree with you in as much as it is always the right time to discuss salvation.

Obviously, we do not agree on what in fact in involved in salvation nor on some of the other comments you made in this post but it is always the right time to discuss salvation.

I didn't take it as so much an "objection" to talking about salvation issues as being tired of the exact same stony ground being gone over again in a short period of time. How long or how much seed to throw on stony ground? I personally don't mind it being discussed but I don't think any of us are under any illusions as to the result. Coc333 will insist baptism is part of salvation and that we are ignoring the scriptures, and pretty much everyone else will say in various ways that he is a unbiblical heretic and that baptism is the answer of a good conscience toward God and is the first step of obedience to Christ rather than having anything to do with salvation. End of story. Edited by Seth-Doty

I didn't take it as so much an "objection" to talking about salvation issues as being tired of the exact same stony ground being gone over again in a short period of time. How long or how much seed to throw on stony ground? I personally don't mind it being discussed but I don't think any of us are under any illusions as to the result. Coc333 will insist baptism is part of salvation and that we are ignoring the scriptures, and pretty much everyone else will say in various ways that he is a unbiblical heretic and that baptism is the answer of a good conscience toward God and is the first step of obedience to Christ rather than having anything to do with salvation. End of story.

You never know, but if you completely surrender and not bring it up, it surely will never happen, and it is of utmost importance.

I didn't take it as so much an "objection" to talking about salvation issues as being tired of the exact same stony ground being gone over again in a short period of time. How long or how much seed to throw on stony ground? I personally don't mind it being discussed but I don't think any of us are under any illusions as to the result. Coc333 will insist baptism is part of salvation and that we are ignoring the scriptures, and pretty much everyone else will say in various ways that he is a unbiblical heretic and that baptism is the answer of a good conscience toward God and is the first step of obedience to Christ rather than having anything to do with salvation. End of story.

I think the misconception arises because in the NT baptism was so closely associated with the conversion experience: it was the automatic and immediate response to having repented and called upon the Lord by faith....Hence "repent and be baptized" is said in the same breath. But the Scriptures clearly and repeatedly repudiate any doctrine which says we are saved by any human works which we perform. Baptism, then, being a "work," has absolutely no efficacy to save us. Coc has demonstrated for all of us the danger of taking just a few verses out of the context of the whole NT, and using them to contradict other just as clear verses. "Baptism saves" is a clear contradition of "not of works" (Eph.), "not by works of righteousness" (Titus), etc. (don't want to take the time to list out all the verses we already know).

Seems like we all know what each other believes about salvation. We cannot convince anyone of the truth; we all must be convinced by the Holy Spirit as we read His Word. So, it sorta seems that discussions like this one are pretty useless...

I can think of two men right off, they were both hardened, for you to have known them you would have thought they were the brothers of the devil himself. I'm glad no one gave up on them, for you see, they both made a profession of faith and wanted to be baptized, and even attended church. Wow, to met them before and after, you would have thought they were different people after their conversion. Yet the Word does speak about the new man, and the Word can do for a lost man.

I even remember preaching at a Baptist Church one night, a man and a woman walked the aisle to be save. They had visited this Baptist Church on an impulse that night, they were members in good standing of a local church of Christ. Maybe someone felt it was not useless to tell them, Tell Me The Old Story and that is why they were in that church that night. They professed faith in Jesus Christ and wanted to be baptized.

Ro 10:14 How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?

How shall they hear, if everyone thinks its useless? How can the holy Spirit work, if we think its useless?

You never know when the seed is planted, if its not planted, the Holy Spirit cannot do its part. I hope I never get to the point I think its useless and I give up.

I stand amazed at my Baptist brothers and sister being tired of hearing about salvation and thinking its useless.

Being near 65, I could give more examples, yet that ought to be enough.

Hey, its not useless, the Word is still powerful.

Heb 4:12 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart

Its just as powerful as ever, unless you hide it under the bushel thinking its useless. Still, even at near 65, "I Love To Tell The Story," and I love for people to "Tell Me The Old Story." I never tire of it as some seem to do.

• Members

I think the misconception arises because in the NT baptism was so closely associated with the conversion experience: it was the automatic and immediate response to having repented and called upon the Lord by faith....Hence "repent and be baptized" is said in the same breath. But the Scriptures clearly and repeatedly repudiate any doctrine which says we are saved by any human works which we perform. Baptism, then, being a "work," has absolutely no efficacy to save us. Coc has demonstrated for all of us the danger of taking just a few verses out of the context of the whole NT, and using them to contradict other just as clear verses. "Baptism saves" is a clear contradition of "not of works" (Eph.), "not by works of righteousness" (Titus), etc. (don't want to take the time to list out all the verses we already know).

Seems like we all know what each other believes about salvation. We cannot convince anyone of the truth; we all must be convinced by the Holy Spirit as we read His Word. So, it sorta seems that discussions like this one are pretty useless...

Good points Annie. I believe (and I'm sure that coc will correct me if I'm wrong) that the Church of Christ don't see baptism as a "work" of man. Rather, they see being baptized by a pastor the same as being led to the Lord by a pastor. The pastor plays his role, but it is acutally God that does the saving and the baptizing. I can agree with them in that regard, however I don't agree that baptism is necessary for salvation.

Jim, perhaps I have not been as clear as I need to be. I am not saying that the OT is not useful. I am not saying that we can not use it to learn principles. What I am saying and what the Bible does teach is that we do not look to the OT to know what “acts of worship” that we are taught to offer to the Lord. We are not to follow the OT commands. I hope that I am a bit clearer in what I am saying now. Certainly the Word is clear even when we are not.

Tim, you are funny.

You are not funny attempting to lead people astray and teach them after the doctrines of men, doctrines according to Campbellism. You have no reasoning based on Biblical truth, you have no basis for your rant (Campbellism) on mechanical instruments yet, you attempt to sell it as perfect doctrine. It is sad...the hypocrisy of it. Edited by 1Tim115