• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Biblical Separation

• Members

1Co 1:10 ¶ Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment.

or

Eph 4:3 Endeavouring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.

If there is a endeavoring to keep the unity of peace what is worth separating over? Are the following verses the main things worth separating over?

Eph 4:4 There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling;
Eph 4:5 One Lord, one faith, one baptism,
Eph 4:6 One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.

Also on the other side of separation; I started witnessing to some of my old internet friends; The first one was very nice to me; but, didn't accept the Jesus his savior as far as I know of. Should I keep talking to him building up for another good opportunity to witness? Because I don't want to become unequally yoked

2Co 6:14 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?

Though I think I would able to stay separate I did enjoy talking with him; but, I need to take heed lest I fall

1Co 10:12 Wherefore let him that thinketh he standeth take heed lest he fall.

Or does (2Ti 2:25 In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth;) say i should continue to try?

If i am to keep witnessing to him, when should one Follow (Mt 10:14 And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear your words, when ye depart out of that house or city, shake off the dust of your feet.)
I was thinking if I was to keep witnessing to the first friend of old; (Mt 10:14) would come more under the 2nd person I witnessed too. Who turned out to be a A-theist.. Well, I think Matthew 5:11 can be applied to the end of that conversation..

Mt 5:11 Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.

Hopefully you all can add some insight on the matter! I like to use this verse when ending letters, emails, etc;

Eph 6:24 Grace be with all them that love our Lord Jesus Christ in sincerity. Amen. Written from Rome unto the Ephesians by Tychicus.

Edited by Nathaniel

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

1Co 1:10 ¶ Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment.

or

Eph 4:3 Endeavouring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.

If there is a endeavoring to keep the unity of peace what is worth separating over? Are the following verses the main things worth separating over?

Eph 4:4 There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling;
Eph 4:5 One Lord, one faith, one baptism,
Eph 4:6 One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.

Also on the other side of separation; I started witnessing to some of my old internet friends; The first one was very nice to me; but, didn't accept the Jesus his savior as far as I know of. Should I keep talking to him building up for another good opportunity to witness? Because I don't want to become unequally yoked

2Co 6:14 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?

Though I think I would able to stay separate I did enjoy talking with him; but, I need to take heed lest I fall

1Co 10:12 Wherefore let him that thinketh he standeth take heed lest he fall.

Or does (2Ti 2:25 In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth;) say i should continue to try?

If i am to keep witnessing to him, when should one Follow (Mt 10:14 And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear your words, when ye depart out of that house or city, shake off the dust of your feet.)
I was thinking if I was to keep witnessing to the first friend of old; (Mt 10:14) would come more under the 2nd person I witnessed too. Who turned out to be a A-theist.. Well, I think Matthew 5:11 can be applied to the end of that conversation..

Mt 5:11 Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.

Hopefully you all can add some insight on the matter! I like to use this verse when ending letters, emails, etc;

Eph 6:24 Grace be with all them that love our Lord Jesus Christ in sincerity. Amen. Written from Rome unto the Ephesians by Tychicus.

Nathaniel, you seem to imply it is either 1 Co 1:10 or Eph 4:3. These two passages are saying the same thing. They are calling for unity not division. They are teaching that Christians are to speak the same things not divide and not to have “unity in diversity,” that is to remain "unified" even though error is being taught and praciticed. There is no unity when error stands against truth. Amos 3:3 comes to mind.

When error is taught/practiced, it is those who are teaching/practicing error that are causing division not those who are standing firm on the Truth/Word.

• Members

Yes, this isn't an either/or situation. Christians are to be united in Christ, standing upon the Word.

We can't rightly be united with professing Christians who are not actually in Christ. We can't be in unity with those who profess to be Christian yet don't hold true to the fundamentals of the faith.

Our unity is to be biblical in nature, not the sort of "unity" the world calls for.

It's not popular to admit or say openly today, but true Christianity is an exclusive "religion" (using that term for simplicity sake). True Christians are not to be united with or yoked to just anyone who claims to be a Christian. Christian unity must be tied together with the cord of biblical truth.

• Members

Separation is an important part of our Christian walk. Plus it is important what we separate ourselves to, there are many out there that will desire you to follow man and or religion and not the Bible (KJB). We must follow Biblical guidelines for what we are to separate ourselves to. II Cor. 5:17; 6:17.

Also, caution as to who you separate to, stay with your church and pastor if they are Biblical, don't start listening to the many voices out there, that will claim to have the truth, (Matt. 7:15) that said understand you are asking these questions on a Baptist site so I would think you are looking for Baptist beliefs on this subject. Though the Bible says in many counselors there is safety, (Pro. 11:14), make sure that they are of like faith. If you start listening to many other "faiths", you can become extremely confused.

If your friend has left the door open to witness to then don't you be the one to close it. Continue to witness as the opportunity arises. What you now do as a Christian will be part of that witness.

• Members

2Co 6:15 And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel?
2Co 6:16 And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.
2Co 6:17 Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you,
2Co 6:18 And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty.

Yes, separation is important, its been proven over and over, again and again, throughout the Old Testament. Plus we have this verse that is very clear, saying that believer should have nothing to do with unbelievers, not to be yoked together with them. they are not to be our friends.

Yet, there be few professing Christians that obeys this commandment. They think they know better than God, just as Israel did, yet most of their trouble was because they would not stay separated from the heathen.

The Mennonites do a good job of staying separated from those they call heathen, yet professing Christians mock and laugh at them.

And there has been a few on here that posted under past topics on this issue that we are not to separate from the infidels.

I might add, the Bible even says, "Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you, And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty."

Come out from among them, them I will receive you, and be your Father. That is something many professing Christians refuse to do, and it clear what will come of it, what we sow, is what we will reap.

• Members

One problem many professing Christians have is putting church loyalty above faithfulness to God. If their church or denomination goes bad they refuse to separate. They cling to that which has gone bad, showing more love for something that is now corrupt than they do for God.

Most professing Christians fear what their family and friends might think if they left their corrupt church much more than they fear God who makes it clear we are to separate from such.

Keep witnessing for the good opportunity your friend will hear the gospel, receive the gospel, and be saved by the gospel.

Philippians 1:27 Only let your conversation be as it becometh the gospel of Christ: that whether I come and see you, or else be absent, I may hear of your affairs, that ye stand fast in one spirit, with one mind striving together for the faith of the gospel;

1 Peter 3:16 Having a good conscience; that, whereas they speak evil of you, as of evildoers, they may be ashamed that falsely accuse your good conversation in Christ.

You sew the Holy Spirit will take it from there. Don't make the lost mad but, never apologize for the gospel of Christ.

Romans 1:16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.

Pray for your friend.

• Members

My cousin, that was dedicated to church, several years back starts to become friends with a unbeliever. Slowly over the years they become great friends, each getting a houseboat up on the lake, spending much time together along with their families, and of course they both have many friends that drops in for their exciting weekend parties.

Them I start hearing about all their drinking parties held on their houseboats, with the once dedicated cousin loving to get drunk with each new weekend brining a new episode of drunkenness on board their houseboats.

Sad to say he has become a hypocrite, dedicated both to church sometimes and weekend drunks all the time, yet many of the Saturday night drunks spells leave him in no mood for attending church services on Sunday's along with his family.

As in the days of Israel, when they became yoked to unbelievers, it always seemed the unbelievers would drag them away from God's way and neck deep into sins, not them influencing the unbelievers to become godly withdrawing from sinful behavior.

No doubt, Paul was filled with godly wisdom from above, inspired by God's Holy Spirit when he penned the verses, "not to be unequally yoked together with unbelievers," "what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness," "what communion hath light with darkness?" Wow, I've seen this type of thing happened to many once dedicated church members. All of them have one thing in common, I'm different than others, I'll influence the lost to come to the Savior, for I'm such a strong Christians there is no way they will influence me to turning my back on God turning to a sin filled life. God knows best, when we stop trusting and obeying, that is when we find our self turning our back on God enjoying our sins, and of no use to God.

Edited by Jerry80871852

• Members

Thanks all for you help I had read the posts. So the board wasnt on active posts anymore (Which i use to search). In result I forgot to post. :eek

2Co 6:15 And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel?
2Co 6:16 And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.
2Co 6:17 Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you,
2Co 6:18 And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty.

Yes, separation is important, its been proven over and over, again and again, throughout the Old Testament. Plus we have this verse that is very clear, saying that believer should have nothing to do with unbelievers, not to be yoked together with them. they are not to be our friends.

Yet, there be few professing Christians that obeys this commandment. They think they know better than God, just as Israel did, yet most of their trouble was because they would not stay separated from the heathen.

The Mennonites do a good job of staying separated from those they call heathen, yet professing Christians mock and laugh at them.

And there has been a few on here that posted under past topics on this issue that we are not to separate from the infidels.

I might add, the Bible even says, "Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you, And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty."

Come out from among them, them I will receive you, and be your Father. That is something many professing Christians refuse to do, and it clear what will come of it, what we sow, is what we will reap.

Your advice would be then, to continue to pray for him and to be friendly if he contacts me but not to contact him further?

Lots of Mennonites do seem to do a good job concerning separation from worldliness. Edited by Nathaniel

• Members

Jesus was accused of eating with "publicans and sinners". But the worst sinners in that equation were the pompous self-righteous religious folk who were making the accusations? Recently, an independent Baptist pastor, in our area, was tried and convicted of having sexual relations with a 15 year old girl.. Yes, he did it because he confessed and plead guilty. So, my thoughts on it are to always be on guard as to who you fellowship with and especially who you trust your kids with. What you might believe is a sheep, just might be something else.

• Members

Jesus was accused of eating with "publicans and sinners". But the worst sinners in that equation were the pompous self-righteous religious folk who were making the accusations? Recently, an independent Baptist pastor, in our area, was tried and convicted of having sexual relations with a 15 year old girl.. Yes, he did it because he confessed and plead guilty. So, my thoughts on it are to always be on guard as to who you fellowship with and especially who you trust your kids with. What you might believe is a sheep, just might be something else.

No doubt the sheep and the goats, the wheat and the tares, are mingled together at this time. We are to use biblical, godly wisdom and discernment in all matters. No one, whether pastor or lay person, is above falling into sin if they stray from walking in the Spirit.

This, in part, is why we are called to examine ourselves, to pay heed to the fruit in our lives and in other professing Christians, to check what they say and teach by what is in Scripture, to judge ourselves, etc.

• Members

True, but they were not in His inner circle, they were not His close friends, His running around buddies.

• Members

True, but they were not in His inner circle, they were not His close friends, His running around buddies.

True, and one of His 'close friends' was Judas Iscariot, I say again; Be careful who you 'run around' with, no matter how 'godly' they appear to be.

• Members

Reading your previous post once again were you said this, "Jesus was accused of eating with "publicans and sinners." Made me think of this.

Lu 7:34 The Son of man is come eating and drinking; and ye say, Behold a gluttonous man, and a winebibber, a friend of publicans and sinners

Some seem to take it that the Bible says Jesus was a winebibber, yet all it really says is was accused of it, the Bible never says that He was a winebibber as some claim. I believe they try to make that claim Thinking it will support them drinking alcoholic drinks.

• Members

Reading your previous post once again were you said this, "Jesus was accused of eating with "publicans and sinners." Made me think of this.

Lu 7:34 The Son of man is come eating and drinking; and ye say, Behold a gluttonous man, and a winebibber, a friend of publicans and sinners

Some seem to take it that the Bible says Jesus was a winebibber, yet all it really says is was accused of it, the Bible never says that He was a winebibber as some claim. I believe they try to make that claim Thinking it will support them drinking alcoholic drinks.

Right