• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Discussion Topic - Is It A Sin To Wear Jewelry?

• Members

Some say that it is a sin to wear jewelry; some even believe that wedding bands should not be worn. They base this on Scriptures such as 1 Timothy 2:9-10 and 1 Peter 3:3-4...

(1 Timothy 2:9-10 KJV) - "In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array; {10} But (which becometh women professing godliness) with good works."

(1 Peter 3:3-4 KJV) - "Whose adorning let it not be that outward adorning of plaiting the hair, and of wearing of gold, or of putting on of apparel; {4} But let it be the hidden man of the heart, in that which is not corruptible, even the ornament of a meek and quiet spirit, which is in the sight of God of great price."

So...would a man be wrong in wearing a wedding band? Would a woman be wrong in wearing a necklace? Et cetera? Why, or why not?
God bless,
Joel ><>.
2 Chronicles 7:14.

• Members

These verses are speaking to the fact we are to let our Christianity, our faith, be seen not by wearing certain items, but by our walking in the Spirit, not the flesh. People should see us as being a Christian because they see Christ in us, not because we all wear purple shirts, a cross necklace and brown pants or skirts.

Our dress is to be consistent with our professed faith, being modest and not like that of the world which is for show, a matter of pride. A wedding band is a sign of committment between husband and wife, a symbol of the covenant they made before God and man. The wedding band is not, or should not, be a matter of pride or flash. Unfortunately, even some Christians take the worldly approach with regards to engagement rings, seeking the biggest, brightest and flashiest for the sake of pride that they may make a show to the world. This is not to say that all nice engagement rings are for this purpose, just that many are today, one can tell the true meaning of the ring by the heart of the wearer, and giver.

Gotta run!

• Members

These verses are speaking to the fact we are to let our Christianity, our faith, be seen not by wearing certain items, but by our walking in the Spirit, not the flesh. People should see us as being a Christian because they see Christ in us, not because we all wear purple shirts, a cross necklace and brown pants or skirts.

Our dress is to be consistent with our professed faith, being modest and not like that of the world which is for show, a matter of pride. A wedding band is a sign of committment between husband and wife, a symbol of the covenant they made before God and man. The wedding band is not, or should not, be a matter of pride or flash. Unfortunately, even some Christians take the worldly approach with regards to engagement rings, seeking the biggest, brightest and flashiest for the sake of pride that they may make a show to the world. This is not to say that all nice engagement rings are for this purpose, just that many are today, one can tell the true meaning of the ring by the heart of the wearer, and giver.

Gotta run!

:thumb:

• Administrators

I would agree with John, and simply add that jewelry is not wrong unless it is uber-flashy. The verses quoted do not forbid the wearing of jewelry, but of being unseemly with the wearing.

There are many folks who do not wear anything but a wedding ring set and that is fine. But the verses are clear that it is the overuse of MANY things, not just jewelry, that is wrong.

The idea behind the broided hair is not that the hair is never to be braided, but rather that it was not to be done up in a flashy, eye-drawing way.

And the lesson to be learned from those verses is that it is not our outerwear (although important, as man looks on the outside) that makes us spiritual.

So, no - a man isn't wrong to wear a wedding band nor a woman wrong to wear necklaces, etc., UNLESS they believe God has shown them otherwise. But even if God has shown them they are not to do so, there are no scriptural grounds forbidding others....

• Members

I would agree with John, and simply add that jewelry is not wrong unless it is uber-flashy. The verses quoted do not forbid the wearing of jewelry, but of being unseemly with the wearing.

There are many folks who do not wear anything but a wedding ring set and that is fine. But the verses are clear that it is the overuse of MANY things, not just jewelry, that is wrong.

The idea behind the broided hair is not that the hair is never to be braided, but rather that it was not to be done up in a flashy, eye-drawing way.

And the lesson to be learned from those verses is that it is not our outerwear (although important, as man looks on the outside) that makes us spiritual.

So, no - a man isn't wrong to wear a wedding band nor a woman wrong to wear necklaces, etc., UNLESS they believe God has shown them otherwise. But even if God has shown them they are not to do so, there are no scriptural grounds forbidding others....

I agree, although I don't wear any jewellery, including a wedding ring.

• Members

Too much, it looks gaudy. For some isn't jewelry a way to show off their riches? And or for others to act as if they have riches. While those who don't have riches to buy the big diamonds covet for jewelry the rich wear?

Its not for me, I want none, me, I'm just me, plain vanilla with no show off. Yet if one keeps it simple, I complain not.

From a cursory glance at scripture, I see nothing wrong with giving a token for the marriage covenant between a man and a woman...

Genesis 9:12 And God said, This is the token of the covenant which I make between me and you and every living creature that is with you, for perpetual generations:
Genesis 9:13 I do set my bow in the cloud, and it shall be for a token of a covenant between me and the earth.
Genesis 9:17 And God said unto Noah, This is the token of the covenant, which I have established between me and all flesh that is upon the earth.
Genesis 17:11 And ye shall circumcise the flesh of your foreskin; and it shall be a token of the covenant betwixt me and you.
Exodus 3:12 And he said, Certainly I will be with thee; and this shall be a token unto thee, that I have sent thee: When thou hast brought forth the people out of Egypt, ye shall serve God upon this mountain.
Exodus 12:13 And the blood shall be to you for a token upon the houses where ye are: and when I see the blood, I will pass over you, and the plague shall not be upon you to destroy you, when I smite the land of Egypt.
Exodus 13:16 And it shall be for a token upon thine hand, and for frontlets between thine eyes: for by strength of hand the LORD brought us forth out of Egypt.
Numbers 17:10 And the LORD said unto Moses, Bring Aaron's rod again before the testimony, to be kept for a token against the rebels; and thou shalt quite take away their murmurings from me, that they die not.
Deuteronomy 22:15 Then shall the father of the damsel, and her mother, take and bring forth the tokens of the damsel's virginity unto the elders of the city in the gate:
Deuteronomy 22:17 And, lo, he hath given occasions of speech against her, saying, I found not thy daughter a maid; and yet these are the tokens of my daughter's virginity. And they shall spread the cloth before the elders of the city.
Deuteronomy 22:20 But if this thing be true, and the tokens of virginity be not found for the damsel:
Joshua 2:12 Now therefore, I pray you, swear unto me by the LORD, since I have shewed you kindness, that ye will also shew kindness unto my father's house, and give me a true token:
Job 21:29 Have ye not asked them that go by the way? and do ye not know their tokens,
Psalms 65:8 They also that dwell in the uttermost parts are afraid at thy tokens: thou makest the outgoings of the morning and evening to rejoice.
Psalms 86:17 Shew me a token for good; that they which hate me may see it, and be ashamed: because thou, LORD, hast holpen me, and comforted me.
Psalms 135:9 Who sent tokens and wonders into the midst of thee, O Egypt, upon Pharaoh, and upon all his servants.
Isaiah 44:25 That frustrateth the tokens of the liars, and maketh diviners mad; that turneth wise men backward, and maketh their knowledge foolish;
Mark 14:44 And he that betrayed him had given them a token, saying, Whomsoever I shall kiss, that same is he; take him, and lead him away safely.
Philippians 1:28 And in nothing terrified by your adversaries: which is to them an evident token of perdition, but to you of salvation, and that of God.
2 Thessalonians 1:5 Which is a manifest token of the righteous judgment of God, that ye may be counted worthy of the kingdom of God, for which ye also suffer:
2 Thessalonians 3:17 The salutation of Paul with mine own hand, which is the token in every epistle: so I write.

...however, the rest of the stuff...I wear a wrist watch.

• Members

I didn't say there was anything wrong in it. I just said that it was not me, that is I have no interest in jewellery. My wife has an engagement ring and a wedding ring, although that doesn't go on her finger any more so she wears her grandma's wedding ring instead.

A few years ago, I was working with a friend who used to work for a leading jeweller's chain. We repaired display cabinets that some had tried to get in to. They used Stanley knives to cut between the glass panels and an accomplice would then remove the glass while the staff were distracted, or locks had been damaged and we had to repair them. The staff seemed to think their goods were something special, but I considered it a load of tat.

• Members

Recon where the practice of wedding bands come from, some claims this practice came from pagans.

I'm not saying I'm against them, yet we ought to be sure to check it out thoroughly before we say its an OK thing. If we don't, them can we claim the Bible is our guide? Seems many of us Christians are good at following worldly practices, accepting them as from God? Is that good?

I haven't given much thought over it, I read though this site quickly, and his thoughts seem to come from the Bible leaving off worldly wisdom.

I've notice one thing about us Christians, after we have followed a worldly tradition for many years, its so easy to keep following it discarding any thoughts that gives us any hint of it being wrong, its so much easier to flow with the world.

• Members

Many things Christians are involved in or partake of have pre-Christian roots and were used or originated by pagans but were not necessarily an aspect of their pagan religion. Even in cases where some things had something to do with a pagan religion, they were not a matter akin to worship of a false god.

This site gives a general history of wedding rings http://www.weddingringorigins.com/

Our calendars and the names of the days of the week have pagan roots yet Christians use them daily, even speaking the names of false gods as we say the days of the week. God knows our hearts and He knows that our use of the calendar is for tracking of time, not to honour, worship or even acknowledge false gods. God knows when a born again Christian says Thursday, he's simply referring to a particular day of the week, not proclaiming "this is Thor's day".

Back to the wedding rings, I believe Dave's post, just a couple posts back, addressed this pretty well.

A wedding ring is a public sign of a couples committment and covenant to one another and serves as a notice they are no longer available.

Myself, I don't believe wedding rings are necessary, not something married couples should have to wear, but I can see the benefit for those who do choose to wear them.

• Members

Many things Christians are involved in or partake of have pre-Christian roots and were used or originated by pagans but were not necessarily an aspect of their pagan religion. Even in cases where some things had something to do with a pagan religion, they were not a matter akin to worship of a false god.

This site gives a general history of wedding rings http://www.weddingringorigins.com/

Our calendars and the names of the days of the week have pagan roots yet Christians use them daily, even speaking the names of false gods as we say the days of the week. God knows our hearts and He knows that our use of the calendar is for tracking of time, not to honour, worship or even acknowledge false gods. God knows when a born again Christian says Thursday, he's simply referring to a particular day of the week, not proclaiming "this is Thor's day".

Back to the wedding rings, I believe Dave's post, just a couple posts back, addressed this pretty well.

A wedding ring is a public sign of a couples committment and covenant to one another and serves as a notice they are no longer available.

Myself, I don't believe wedding rings are necessary, not something married couples should have to wear, but I can see the benefit for those who do choose to wear them.

At the time of the Exodus, the Israelites had much Jewellery, probably donated by the Egyptians, but they willingly donated it towards the vessels of the tabernacle. Come to think of it, the golden callf, also.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Some say that it is a sin to wear jewelry; some even believe that wedding bands should not be worn. They base this on Scriptures such as 1 Timothy 2:9-10 and 1 Peter 3:3-4...

(1 Timothy 2:9-10 KJV) - "In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array; {10} But (which becometh women professing godliness) with good works."

(1 Peter 3:3-4 KJV) - "Whose adorning let it not be that outward adorning of plaiting the hair, and of wearing of gold, or of putting on of apparel; {4} But let it be the hidden man of the heart, in that which is not corruptible, even the ornament of a meek and quiet spirit, which is in the sight of God of great price."

So...would a man be wrong in wearing a wedding band? Would a woman be wrong in wearing a necklace? Et cetera? Why, or why not?
God bless,
Joel ><>.
2 Chronicles 7:14.

This a classic example of how people focus in on a scripture and twist it. Context is everything. All though scripture the focus of spiritual adorning is on the heart. I Peter states it clearly in I Peter 3:4. If the heart is not right all the outword works and adorning are futile. Edited by lettheredeemedsayso