• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

My bad cholesterol had been

• Members

My bad cholesterol had been out of limits, I tried taking 2 different cholesterol meds, both of them caused my stomach to hurt very much. After which my doctor asked me to try Red Yeast Rice. I've been taking it for about 45 to 65 days. This time my bad cholesterol was within limits. This is the 1st time its been in limits in a long while.

I do not know if the Red Rice Yeast done this, but its the only thing that I have done different. If someone is having bad cholesterol trouble, it might be worth a try.

I've been taking one 600 MG capsule every night.

• Members

i have heard and read that it works, I may give it a try, mine is high but not out of sight. I don't like putting chemicals in my body, they all seem to have side affects, then there is the spiral of dealing with them. This pill for that and this pill because of that pill and on and on. I'm not saying all chemicals are bad, just doctors often look to them first.

• Members

15 years ago my total chol was 6.4 (256) & Dr was not bothered - I had no other heart-health indicators.

10 years ago I was diagnosed with diabetes & with chol=7.6 (304) & I was advised on diet (not statins at that stage. A low sugar/low salt/low fat diet, including complex carbs, brought it down to about 5.5 (220) in a few months.

After 2-3 years they wanted it down below 4.0 (160) so I was put on siMVastatin (10 mg at night) It came down below 4, but I developed intense muscle pains, especially after lying still & waking up & starting to move in bed. At that time I learnt that this was a major side effect (played down by the drug companies & Drs) so I stopped taking them. Within a week the pains stopped. I then told Dr & pharmacist, & they confirmed the side effect. I was then tried on a massive dose of niacin, beginning with 500 mg, rising to 1,000 mg. That put my blood glucose up & the pains began to come back in only 3 weeks.

I can't control chol by drugs.

I have oat bran (a source of soluble fibre) daily & chol reducing spread, & almonds, as part of my low carbohydrate/high protein/high fat* diet. Dr is happy with my chol results, total 5.5 (220) HDL 1.65 (66), LDL 3.3 (132), chol/HDL 3.3.

I understand the last ratio figure is key, & should be below 4.9 indicating that my raised chol is due to the good HDL.

I don't know about red rice - a quick google indicates it's useful for chol.

The diabetes forum I contribute to have come to the conclusion that a low carb diet, & moderate fat consumption, together with proteins & veg & a little fruit is the way forward, both for diabetes control & cholesterol.

The "starchy carb" diet recommended by the diabetes authorities causes problems, including complications & bad chol.

I'm 72 tomorrow & include nuts, olive oil & butter & other animal fats in my diet - & I enjoy my tennis & other racquet sports. I have been screened by all sorts of non-invasive methods as part of an on-going heart/diabetes project, & there are no indicators of problems to be followed up.

Hope that is helpful & you get your chol under control & stay healthy.

• Administrators

Thanks for the info, Jerry8. My mom was put on some meds a few years back for her cholesterol. She was only on them for a few days when she started experiencing major joint pain. The doc took her off (couldn't believe she had a reaction because so few people do.... :smilie_loco:4 ) and now, all this time later, she still has major problems with her joints. I'll have to tell her about this Red Rice Yeast. It may help her cholesterol.

• Members

My doctor tried me on siMVastatin, can't remember the other cholesterol drug. And my doctor got me to try niacin 1st, but it cause me stomach troubles too, them my doctor asked me to try Red Yeast Rice.

So far the Red Yeast Rice has no caused me no troubles, and my cholesterol is down. I have heard of several that seem to have done everything possible but can't get their cholesterol to go down.

From my experience at this time I would say that red Yeast Rice would be worth a try.

I don't like taking pills either, and most people don't, yet when we get older sometimes its necessary, and I'm going on 65.

• Members

My doctor tried me on siMVastatin, can't remember the other cholesterol drug. And my doctor got me to try niacin 1st, but it cause me stomach troubles too, them my doctor asked me to try Red Yeast Rice.

So far the Red Yeast Rice has no caused me no troubles, and my cholesterol is down. I have heard of several that seem to have done everything possible but can't get their cholesterol to go down.

From my experience at this time I would say that red Yeast Rice would be worth a try.

I don't like taking pills either, and most people don't, yet when we get older sometimes its necessary, and I'm going on 65.

I have never heard of Red Yeast Rice, I have had Red Rice.

By brother in law came off his blood pressure tablets on taking beetroor juice every day and says his blood pressure is down.

I take 40g a day of SiMVastatinfor chol. but I don't think I have any side effects, One lady I know has recently come off it as it made her constantly dizzy. One thing with that drug is that you are not allowed to drink grapefruit juice while you are on it,