• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Do you believe the above verse teachings tattoos

26 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe the above verse teachings tattoos are wrong for the child of God?

• Yes its 100% wrong
    • No there is nothing wrong with tattos
    • I'm not sure
    • Maybe its OK for some, wrong for others

• Members

This verse is very clear that tattoos are wrong. At one time this was a well accepted truth. The main move to make tattoos okay for Christians, even cool, came a few decades ago with the big push to "relate to the world by looking and acting like the world". This move helped lead to the acceptance among many professing Christians of tattoos, long hair on men, short hair on women, dressing worldly, using worldly mannerisms, etc.

Grafitti on the temple of the Holy Ghost is not right.

• Members

Yes, I know its clear to some of us, but its also clear that some feel there is not one thing wrong with tattoos. I'm just wondering what flocks here think about it, for under another topic one seemed to proclaim its A OK!

Hoping I misunderstood them.

• Members

I couldn't check one of the options, because my opinion doesn't appear on the poll. I believe that tattoos fall under issues of discernment. I would never get a tattoo, because I think it identifies me with culture that I consider worldly.* I would never allow my kids to get tattoos, either, for the same reason. But I don't believe the Bible directly prohibits tattoos in the verse Jerry quoted.

*This is the same reason I would not wear the Abercrombie and Fitch or Hollister label, and that I would not allow my kids to wear mohawks or dye their hair pink.

Edited by Annie

• Members

I couldn't check one of the options, because my opinion doesn't appear on the poll. I believe that tattoos fall under issues of discernment. I would never get a tattoo, because I think it identifies me with culture that I consider worldly.* I would never allow my kids to get tattoos, either, for the same reason. But I don't believe the Bible directly prohibits tattoos in the verse Jerry quoted.

*This is the same reason I would not wear the Abercrombie and Fitch or Hollister label, and that I would not allow my kids to wear mohawks or dye their hair pink.

How in the world can you say discernment, when the verse is very plain, and right to the point?

Le 19:28 Ye shall not...... .......print any marks upon you: I am the LORD.

Nothing could be any plainer.

• Members

How in the world can you say discernment, when the verse is very plain, and right to the point?

Le 19:28 Ye shall not...... .......print any marks upon you: I am the LORD.

Nothing could be any plainer.

The question is this: what is in the "................"? And what is the context of the verse? IOW, what is the LORD truly saying here? Can you men not shape your sideburns or round off the corners of your beards? Can we not eat our steaks rare?

My point is that this verse is located in a paragraph/cluster of verses which is addressing the pagan practices of peoples living around the Israelites. God did not want His people falling into idolatry, or adopting the practices associated with idolatry and paganism. These practices included the things listed in these verses: eating meat with the blood, using enchantments/astrology, cutting hair and beards a certain shape, gashing one's flesh to mourn the dead and/or to provide life blood for the dead person's spirit, marking the flesh with symbols of false deities, and child prostitution.

Now, we know from looking at other Scriptures that some of these things (such as divination and prostitution) are inherently wrong, an abomination to God for all people of all time. But others of these things (such as rounding off sideburns and the edges of the beard, and eating meat with blood) are not inherently wrong...God's purpose in prohibiting these things for the Israelites was to set them apart from pagan practice and idolatry.

The application we can all take from these verses (backed up by other Scriptures in both the Old and New Testaments) is that God wants His children set apart from false religions, and from the practices of those who are opposed to God. This principle requires us to look around and evaluate what practices are associated with "the world"...the order which is opposed to God. This requires discernment, and not everyone will draw their lines in the same places, because we are all different and, depending on a lot of things, like upbringing and location, see things from different perspectives.

That leaves us with the question, "Well, what about tattoos?" To my knowledge, there are no other Scriptures (except possibly the ones about our names being graven on Christ's hands) that deal specifically with tattoos. Yes, there is the "God's temple" verse, which says to glorify God in our bodies and in our spirits, which are God's. In context, that verse is talking about joining one's members to the members of a harlot...but, using other Scriptures, we can surmise that "glorifying God in our bodies" means that we give people the right opinion of God by what we do with our bodies...how we care for them, what they look like, what we eat, etc. So, again, the question we have to evaluate is this: Does wearing a tattoo give others the right opinion of who God is? I don't think so. But saying that tattoos are "graffiti on God's temple" is an expression of opinion, not what Scripture says. Others could argue (from their perspective) that tattoos beautify God's temple in much the same way that cosmetics and jewelry beautify it. I don't agree with that opinion, either. I think tattoos are clearly, in our culture, associated with "the world." Edited by Annie

• Members

You have said it yourself that tattoos have pagan roots, they are worldly. There is no justification for a Christian to get a tattoo.

Even if we just consider our contemporary culture, tattoos are a symbol of rebellion. This is the main reason tattoos are so common and popular with biker gangs, street gangs, and those who consider themselves to be rebels. The allure for many teens who want to get tattoos is the same one there is for booze, sex and drugs...it's something they know they shouldn't do. It's a sign of "independence from all", self-centeredness, rebellion. There are a plethora of Scriptures which address these matters.

• Members

You have said it yourself that tattoos have pagan roots, they are worldly. There is no justification for a Christian to get a tattoo.

Even if we just consider our contemporary culture, tattoos are a symbol of rebellion. This is the main reason tattoos are so common and popular with biker gangs, street gangs, and those who consider themselves to be rebels. The allure for many teens who want to get tattoos is the same one there is for booze, sex and drugs...it's something they know they shouldn't do. It's a sign of "independence from all", self-centeredness, rebellion. There are a plethora of Scriptures which address these matters.

I agree completely. The only clarification I'd add is that I don't think tattoos are worldly because they have pagan roots, but because of what you said in your second paragraph. And, some Christians do not see it this way, as tattoos have become more mainstream. (They aren't just associated with rebels, biker gangs, etc., anymore.) So, I won't sit in judgment over a Christian who has tattoos, although I might question their maturity and discernment. Edited by Annie

• Members

I agree completely. The only clarification I'd add is that I don't think tattoos are worldly because they have pagan roots, but because of what you said in your second paragraph. And, some Christians do not see it this way, as tattoos have become more mainstream. (They aren't just associated with rebels, biker gangs, etc., anymore.) So, I won't sit in judgment over a Christian who has tattoos, although I might question their maturity and discernment.

No, sorry to say this, you've decided you know better than God and refuse to take Him at His Word. So you invent ways to try and make it right.

• Members

No, sorry to say this, you've decided you know better than God and refuse to take Him at His Word. So you invent ways to try and make it right.

Jerry, how have I "invented a way" to make tattoos "right"? Are you against using Scripture and discernment to conclude that tattoos are unwise? I mean, do we really disagree here? I have not said that tattoos are "right"; you are putting words in my mouth.

• Members

Jerry, how have I "invented a way" to make tattoos "right"? Are you against using Scripture and discernment to conclude that tattoos are unwise? I mean, do we really disagree here? I have not said that tattoos are "right"; you are putting words in my mouth.

Le 19:28 Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the LORD.

You refuse to take God at His word on this issue, and refuse to admit that tattoos are a sin against God. Go back and read your post, as well as those in another topic, when there is words plain as that, there needs to be no discernment, only obedience.

You seemed to make it quite plain, you would not tell anyone that tattoos are a sin, and God forbids them.

PS: Yes, I know in moder America its not popular to hold to God's whole truths on issues such as tattoos. I suppose most feel God's truths will offend someone. Edited by Jerry80871852

• Members

Le 19:28 Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the LORD.

You refuse to take God at His word on this issue, and refuse to admit that tattoos are a sin against God. Go back and read your post, as well as those in another topic, when there is words plain as that, there needs to be no discernment, only obedience.

You seemed to make it quite plain, you would not tell anyone that tattoos are a sin, and God forbids them.

PS: Yes, I know in moder America its not popular to hold to God's whole truths on issues such as tattoos. I suppose most feel God's truths will offend someone.

Le 19:26-27: Ye shall not eat any thing with the blood...Ye shall not round the corners of your heads, neither shalt thou mar the corners of thy beard. Edited by Annie

• Members

You can find an excuse to indulge in and or OK any sin you so chose. And its your choice.

So...you're not going to address my questions and comments? You're just going to falsely accuse me of ignoring Scripture so that I can excuse and justify sin? If so, it's a sure sign that you're out of arguments. I'd actually be interested to see how you defend your "private interpretation" of Leviticus 19. If you're consistent in that interpretation, then you're preaching just as hard against trimming sideburns and beards and eating red meat as you are against tattoos. Edited by Annie