• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

• Members

So is everyone except me now anti dispensational, amill, partial preterists?

Not exactly. :coolsmiley: Sometimes people who totally appose his positions in many areas because they find them ill founded and unbiblical don't bother to argue with him much anyway since that ground has been covered long ago in other threads with no effect.

• Members

So is everyone except me now anti dispensational, amill, partial preterists? I just want to know the company I am in. It seems that is the direction the covenant followers are taking people. I use to be a fan of Hank. I am no longer after hearing the hateful things he has said about people with my views.

Have you a link to the "hateful things he has said about people with my [your] views?"

• Members

So is everyone except me now anti dispensational, amill, partial preterists? I just want to know the company I am in. It seems that is the direction the covenant followers are taking people. I use to be a fan of Hank. I am no longer after hearing the hateful things he has said about people with my views.

Seems like they have pretty much taken over in this forum. I've seen this on other boards. First you tolerate them because you want a "lively debate" or because they are "nice folks who love Jesus just like you" and you don't want to be harsh or "unchristian" then the next thing you know it they run the board and you find yourself being rebuke on a board that holds the same doctrinial statement as you do. Happens in churches and happens in bible forums. Nothing new under the sun. Edited by Wilchbla

• Members

Seems like they have pretty much taken over in this forum. I've seen this on other boards. First you tolerate them because you want a "lively debate" or because they are "nice folks who love Jesus just like you" and you don't want to be harsh or "unchristian" then the next thing you know it they run the board and you find yourself being rebuke on a board that holds the same doctrinial statement as you do. Happens in churches and happens in bible forums. Nothing new under the sun.

As far as I can see, I am the only amil & the only preterist here, though others have expressed objections to dispensationalism. The discussion has been wide ranging & Biblical. You will be better equipped to argue your understanding of Scripture as you participate in the discussion. No-one is saying "hateful things" on this forum.

• Members
I believe the "man child" is the saved remnant (144,0000) during the tribulation raptured out perhaps midway. They too shall rule with a rod of iron.

Isaiah 66:7,8:

[7] Before she travailed, she brought forth; before her pain came, she was delivered of a man child.
[8] Who hath heard such a thing? who hath seen such things? Shall the earth be made to bring forth in one day? or shall a nation be born at once? for as soon as Zion travailed, she brought forth her children.

Rev. 2:26,27:

[26] And he that overcometh, and keepeth my works unto the end, to him will I give power over the nations:
[27] And he shall rule them with a rod of iron; as the vessels of a potter shall they be broken to shivers: even as I received of my Father.

Jesus Christ was never in danger of being gobbled up by the red dragon. The whole passage is in the context of the Great Tribulation not the first coming of Christ.

That is a novel interpretation. The red dragon used Herod to try to gobble up Jesus.

• Members

That is a novel interpretation. The red dragon used Herod to try to gobble up Jesus.

I disagree with Wilchbla on this one; I think that chapter twelve is a parenthetical chapter describing the various characters in Revelation. I think the Manchild is Christ, and the dragon tries to kill him at the First Advent with Herod and then Him being caught up to Heaven is His ascension.

Revelation 2:26-27 is a good thought, but Revelation 12 speaks of the Manchild as being singular, it seems more like it would be Christ alone than anything else.

• Members
I've seen this on other boards. First you tolerate them because you want a "lively debate" or because they are "nice folks who love Jesus just like you" and you don't want to be harsh or "unchristian" then the next thing you know it they run the board and you find yourself being rebuke on a board that holds the same doctrinial statement as you do. Happens in churches and happens in bible forums.

That is the sobering truth isn't it. If firm lines are not drawn on important doctrinal matters truth is usually diluted over time and before you know it you have nearly as much error as truth which in turn attracts more error and slowly drives out the truth that remains.

1 Peter 5:8 Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:

• Members

Thanks for everyones responses. I often don't care to debate because then it is just a matter of 2 sides trying to win an argument. Often it ends up bringing no glory God. I like this forum because for the most part the doctrinal views of most fall in line with mine. I can try to help others that come here with sincere questions and not have to worry about every thread becoming a debate. I just want to make sure that the doctrinal norm of this forum is not changing.

To answer covenanter, on his radio show Hank compared those that hold the theological views of a pretrib dispensationalism to being like Nazis. If I was smart I would have downloaded the podcast. This was a while ago when his book came out about this topic which I happen to own. By the way, you know his is strongly opposed to Calvinism, right? ;)

• Members

Rick, can you show me all the scripture you can think of supporting the Pre-trib rapture? Also, Is you view possible without Da 9:27 referring to The Anti-Christ; because, I don't believe that it is referring to The Antichrist.

Covenanter, Can you explain Re 1:7, Mt 24:30, 1Th 4:14-17, Lu 17:23-24. Your view has had really good points; I also believe some of Matthew 24 is regarding the temple; but, without at least these verses explained I don't see it possible how i can hold your view.

I'm still leaning towards what I will be posting below. However I need to Investigate it more. I decided to re-edit it back in because if there is something wrong with it you all might find it.

I intend to put all my words in blue and put Nathaniel: (In case someone is color blind; though sometimes the words aren't entirely mine. I learned this from a sermon of someone who was in a similar boat as me previously. Though I'm not 100% sure on all the person's end times ideas. However his ideas on Matthew 24 seemed solid.

I don't understand everything but, I'll do the best to show most of my view from what is often called the Olivet Discourse.
I think the a key to understanding the difference between the past and future of Matthew 24 is:

These things - 70 AD
That day - end times

With that in mind if you read this i think the result lines up with scripture.

Mt 23:33 Ye serpents, ye generation of vipers, how can ye escape the damnation of hell?
Mt 23:34 ¶ Wherefore, behold, I send unto you prophets, and wise men, and scribes: and some of them ye shall kill and crucify; and some of them shall ye scourge in your synagogues, and persecute them from city to city:
Mt 23:35 That upon you may come all the righteous blood shed upon the earth, from the blood of righteous Abel unto the blood of Zacharias son of Barachias, whom ye slew between the temple and the altar.
Mt 23:36 Verily I say unto you, All these things shall come upon this generation. (Nathaniel: Notice these things also notice this generation)
Mt 23:37 O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, thou that killest the prophets, and stonest them which are sent unto thee, how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and ye would not!
Mt 23:38 Behold, your house is left unto you desolate. (Nathaniel: I believe the house he is talking about is the temple. If you look by decree who made the house desolate? Da 9:27, Lu 21:22 Theres a good article here http://biblicaltruth...%20Scans%29.htm on the 70 weeks of Daniel. (this isn't the person I was referring to earlier)
Mt 23:39 For I say unto you, Ye shall not see me henceforth, till ye shall say, Blessed is he that cometh in the name of the Lord. (Nathaniel: I believe this verse shows that they aren't part of spiritual Israel until they believe then they are graffed back in)
Mt 24:1 ¶ And Jesus went out, and departed from the temple: and his disciples came to him for to shew him the buildings of the temple.
Mt 24:2 And Jesus said unto them, See ye not all these things? verily I say unto you, There shall not be left here one stone upon another, that shall not be thrown down. (Nathaniel: Notice these things seems to reference the temple)
Mt 24:3 And as he sat upon the mount of Olives, the disciples came unto him privately, saying, Tell us, when shall these things be? and what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world? (Nathaniel: Notice there seems to be two questions when these things shall be and his coming and the end of the world.)
Mt 24:4 ¶ And Jesus answered and said unto them, Take heed that no man deceive you.
Mt 24:5 For many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many.
Mt 24:6 And ye shall hear of wars and rumours of wars: see that ye be not troubled: for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet.
Mt 24:7 For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and there shall be famines, and pestilences, and earthquakes, in divers places.
Mt 24:8 All these are the beginning of sorrows.
Mt 24:9 Then shall they deliver you up to be afflicted, and shall kill you: and ye shall be hated of all nations for my name's sake.
Mt 24:10 And then shall many be offended, and shall betray one another, and shall hate one another.
Mt 24:11 And many false prophets shall rise, and shall deceive many.
Mt 24:12 And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold.
Mt 24:13 But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.
Mt 24:14 And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come. (Nathaniel: This seems to be a overview/outline of what he will expound on now. Unless the gospel has been preached to all nations which could be possible if you reference Mr 16:20. The end would then be referring to temple because of Mt 24:27, 1Th 4:14-17, I don't see those things happening in 70 AD.)
Mt 24:15 When ye therefore shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, stand in the holy place, (whoso readeth, let him understand:) (Nathaniel: Reference to Daniel 9 and Lu 21:20.)
Mt 24:16 Then let them which be in Judaea flee into the mountains:
Mt 24:17 Let him which is on the housetop not come down to take any thing out of his house:
Mt 24:18 Neither let him which is in the field return back to take his clothes.
Mt 24:19 And woe unto them that are with child, and to them that give suck in those days! (Nathaniel: Reference Lu 21:23-24 and Ro 11:25)
Mt 24:20 But pray ye that your flight be not in the winter, neither on the sabbath day:
Mt 24:21 For then shall be great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be.
Mt 24:22 And except those days should be shortened, there should no flesh be saved: but for the elect's sake those days shall be shortened.
Mt 24:23 Then if any man shall say unto you, Lo, here is Christ, or there; believe it not. (Nathaniel: Notice we changed to then (after the great tribulation)
Mt 24:24 For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect.
Mt 24:25 Behold, I have told you before.
Mt 24:26 Wherefore if they shall say unto you, Behold, he is in the desert; go not forth: behold, he is in the secret chambers; believe it not.
Mt 24:27 For as the lightning cometh out of the east, and shineth even unto the west; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.
Mt 24:28 For wheresoever the carcase is, there will the eagles be gathered together.
Mt 24:29 Immediately after the tribulation of those days shall the sun be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens shall be shaken: (Nathaniel: Notice the change from these days to those days which I believe is now talking about also. Now if you read again Lu 21:23-24 then go further to Luke 21:25. That the fulness of the gentiles must come first.)
Mt 24:30 And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.
Mt 24:31 And he shall send his angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.
Mt 24:32 ¶ Now learn a parable of the fig tree; When his branch is yet tender, and putteth forth leaves, ye know that summer is nigh: (Nathaniel: Notice it was then for quite awhile and now it said Now.)
Mt 24:33 So likewise ye, when ye shall see all these things, know that it is near, even at the doors.
Mt 24:34 Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled. (Nathaniel: This generation look at these verses Mt 23:33-36. Also notice these things)
Mt 24:35 Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away.
Mt 24:36 But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only. (Nathaniel: Now notice that day)
Mt 24:37 But as the days of Noe were, so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.
Mt 24:38 For as in the days that were before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noe entered into the ark,
Mt 24:39 And knew not until the flood came, and took them all away; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.
Mt 24:40 Then shall two be in the field; the one shall be taken, and the other left.
Mt 24:41 Two women shall be grinding at the mill; the one shall be taken, and the other left.
Mt 24:42 Watch therefore: for ye know not what hour your Lord doth come.
Mt 24:43 But know this, that if the goodman of the house had known in what watch the thief would come, he would have watched, and would not have suffered his house to be broken up.
Mt 24:44 Therefore be ye also ready: for in such an hour as ye think not the Son of man cometh. (Nathaniel: Lets look at Luke 17 below)

Lu 17:22 And he said unto the disciples, The days will come, when ye shall desire to see one of the days of the Son of man, and ye shall not see it.
Lu 17:23 And they shall say to you, See here; or, see there: go not after them, nor follow them.
Lu 17:24 For as the lightning, that lighteneth out of the one part under heaven, shineth unto the other part under heaven; so shall also the Son of man be in his day.
Lu 17:25 But first must he suffer many things, and be rejected of this generation.
Lu 17:26 And as it was in the days of Noe, so shall it be also in the days of the Son of man.
Lu 17:27 They did eat, they drank, they married wives, they were given in marriage, until the day that Noe entered into the ark, and the flood came, and destroyed them all. (Nathaniel: Who is they? Isn't it the wicked? Noah knew the flood came. Noah was left on the earth the bad people were taken away and destroyed. reference with 1Th 5:2-9)
Lu 17:28 Likewise also as it was in the days of Lot; they did eat, they drank, they bought, they sold, they planted, they builded;
Lu 17:29 But the same day that Lot went out of Sodom it rained fire and brimstone from heaven, and destroyed them all.
Lu 17:30 Even thus shall it be in the day when the Son of man is revealed. (Nathaniel: It seems it will be similar to the days of Noah, however the Noah was righteous and wasn't taken away from the flood he was in the ark. He was left behind.)
Lu 17:31 In that day, he which shall be upon the housetop, and his stuff in the house, let him not come down to take it away: and he that is in the field, let him likewise not return back.
Lu 17:32 Remember Lot's wife.
Lu 17:33 Whosoever shall seek to save his life shall lose it; and whosoever shall lose his life shall preserve it.
Lu 17:34 I tell you, in that night there shall be two men in one bed; the one shall be taken, and the other shall be left.
Lu 17:35 Two women shall be grinding together; the one shall be taken, and the other left.
Lu 17:36 Two men shall be in the field; the one shall be taken, and the other left.
Lu 17:37 And they answered and said unto him, Where, Lord? And he said unto them, Wheresoever the body is, thither will the eagles be gathered together. (Nathaniel: It seems they asked where they were taken. reference with Re 19:17-26 and Mt 24:28)

(For quicker reference and comparison Luke 21:5-36 below.)

Lu 21:5 ¶ And as some spake of the temple, how it was adorned with goodly stones and gifts, he said,
Lu 21:6 As for these things which ye behold, the days will come, in the which there shall not be left one stone upon another, that shall not be thrown down.
Lu 21:7 And they asked him, saying, Master, but when shall these things be? and what sign will there be when these things shall come to pass?
Lu 21:8 And he said, Take heed that ye be not deceived: for many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and the time draweth near: go ye not therefore after them.
Lu 21:9 But when ye shall hear of wars and commotions, be not terrified: for these things must first come to pass; but the end is not by and by.
Lu 21:10 Then said he unto them, Nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom:
Lu 21:11 And great earthquakes shall be in divers places, and famines, and pestilences; and fearful sights and great signs shall there be from heaven.
Lu 21:12 But before all these, they shall lay their hands on you, and persecute you, delivering you up to the synagogues, and into prisons, being brought before kings and rulers for my name's sake.
Lu 21:13 And it shall turn to you for a testimony.
Lu 21:14 Settle it therefore in your hearts, not to meditate before what ye shall answer:
Lu 21:15 For I will give you a mouth and wisdom, which all your adversaries shall not be able to gainsay nor resist.
Lu 21:16 And ye shall be betrayed both by parents, and brethren, and kinsfolks, and friends; and some of you shall they cause to be put to death.
Lu 21:17 And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake.
Lu 21:18 But there shall not an hair of your head perish.
Lu 21:19 In your patience possess ye your souls.
Lu 21:20 ¶ And when ye shall see Jerusalem compassed with armies, then know that the desolation thereof is nigh.
Lu 21:21 Then let them which are in Judaea flee to the mountains; and let them which are in the midst of it depart out; and let not them that are in the countries enter thereinto.
Lu 21:22 For these be the days of vengeance, that all things which are written may be fulfilled.
Lu 21:23 But woe unto them that are with child, and to them that give suck, in those days! for there shall be great distress in the land, and wrath upon this people.
Lu 21:24 And they shall fall by the edge of the sword, and shall be led away captive into all nations: and Jerusalem shall be trodden down of the Gentiles, until the times of the Gentiles be fulfilled.
Lu 21:25 And there shall be signs in the sun, and in the moon, and in the stars; and upon the earth distress of nations, with perplexity; the sea and the waves roaring;
Lu 21:26 Men's hearts failing them for fear, and for looking after those things which are coming on the earth: for the powers of heaven shall be shaken.
Lu 21:27 And then shall they see the Son of man coming in a cloud with power and great glory.
Lu 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.
Lu 21:29 ¶ And he spake to them a parable; Behold the fig tree, and all the trees;
Lu 21:30 When they now shoot forth, ye see and know of your own selves that summer is now nigh at hand.
Lu 21:31 So likewise ye, when ye see these things come to pass, know ye that the kingdom of God is nigh at hand.
Lu 21:32 Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass away, till all be fulfilled.
Lu 21:33 Heaven and earth shall pass away: but my words shall not pass away.
Lu 21:34 And take heed to yourselves, lest at any time your hearts be overcharged with surfeiting, and drunkenness, and cares of this life, and so that day come upon you unawares.
Lu 21:35 For as a snare shall it come on all them that dwell on the face of the whole earth.
Lu 21:36 Watch ye therefore, and pray always, that ye may be accounted worthy to escape all these things that shall come to pass, and to stand before the Son of man.

Edited by Nathaniel

• Members

Seems like they have pretty much taken over in this forum. I've seen this on other boards. First you tolerate them because you want a "lively debate" or because they are "nice folks who love Jesus just like you" and you don't want to be harsh or "unchristian" then the next thing you know it they run the board and you find yourself being rebuke on a board that holds the same doctrinial statement as you do. Happens in churches and happens in bible forums. Nothing new under the sun.

I am IFB. I was Dispensational when I joined, I just found some things that didn't seem to line up. I already am different than the world, I certainly didn't want to be different from lots of my fellow believers. Surely if I could see Dispensationalism in scripture I wouldn't have changed. Umm, if its a problem I hold a different end times view. I'll leave if it is necessary. Lots of you have been a great help so far. I looked back at when I first posted here on the introduction board. It is truly amazing how the Lord has helped me so far! I don't want to a burden as, I can't promise I will never post on the subject. So.. If The mods/Bromatt or the majority of you all see me as a problem I'll go. Edited by Nathaniel

• Members

I am IFB. I was Dispensational when I joined, I just found some things that didn't seem to line up. I already am different than the world, I certainly didn't want to be different from lots of my fellow believers. Surely if I could see Dispensationalism in scripture I wouldn't have changed. Umm, if its a problem I hold a different end times view. I'll leave if it is necessary. Lots of you have been a great help so far. I looked back at when I first posted here on the introduction board. It is truly amazing how the Lord has helped me so far! I don't want to a burden as, I can't promise I will never post on the subject. So.. If The mods/Bromatt or the majority of you all see me as a problem I'll go.

Dispensational teaching has never been accepted by all Baptists or by all Christians. As I posted previously...In looking into various aspects of this I found it interesting that C. H. Spurgeon stood against Dispensationalist teachings. At one point Spurgeon commented that Darby's writings were "too mystical" and that if Darby were to "write in plain English his readers would probably discover that there is nothing very valuable in his remarks."

• Members

Dispensational teaching has never been accepted by all Baptists or by all Christians. As I posted previously...In looking into various aspects of this I found it interesting that C. H. Spurgeon stood against Dispensationalist teachings. At one point Spurgeon commented that Darby's writings were "too mystical" and that if Darby were to "write in plain English his readers would probably discover that there is nothing very valuable in his remarks."

Yes, I read some things Spurgeon said about J.N Darby, they were interesting. Edited by Nathaniel

• Members

Rick, can you show me all the scripture you can think of supporting the Pre-trib rapture? Also, Is you view possible without Da 9:27 referring to The Anti-Christ; because, I don't believe that it is referring to The Antichrist.

First of all, in this conversation it's a major step to even believe in a future Tribulation at all. If you don't, then you're a Preterist or Amillennial, or something like that. If you do, then you're a futurist. Please understand that before I proceed. I say that because both of your questions are actually in house debates amongst Futurists. I know futurists that disagree on the answers to both of those questions but still believe in a future Rapture of the church and a future Tribulation period. You don't have to agree with my answer to understand that the events in Revelation are still future.

Scriptures for pre-Trib?

Revelation 3:10, “Because thou hast kept the word of my patience, I also will keep thee from the hour of temptation, which shall come upon all the world, to try them that dwell upon the earth.”

The Philadelphian church was promised to be spared from the hour of temptation that would come upon the entire Earth. I believe that you can make a solid case that this promise is not limited to one local church located in Asia Minor, but that it is a promise to the church as a whole. When you read this verse, ask yourself these questions: At what time in history was the entire Earth tried - not just Christians? What time period is Revelation talking about? Do you believe that this promise can only apply to the one church, or could it apply to the church as a whole for a specific future event?

Jeremiah 30:7, “Alas! for that day is great, so that none is like it: it is even the time of Jacob's trouble; but he shall be saved out of it.”

The whole point of the Tribulation is to bring Israel back to God. It's called the "Jacob's Trouble" for that very reason. There's no point for the church to go into it, and furthermore the church isn't mentioned after Revelation 4:1 until she comes back with the Lord at Armageddon.

I Thessalonians 1:10, “And to wait for his Son from heaven, whom he raised from the dead, even Jesus, which delivered us from the wrath to come.”

I Thessalonians 5:9, "For God hath not appointed us to wrath, but to obtain salvation by our Lord Jesus Christ."

The wrath to come is a future event - it's "to come," it's not here right now like Hell is. Some use this to say that we're rapture out in the middle of the Tribulation, but they ignore all the wrath in the first 3 1/2 years to do it.

Titus 2:13, "Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ."

Our hope is in Jesus Christ's return. That is what we're supposed to be looking forward to. If we're to endure any part of the Tribulation, we'd be stupid and foolish to not be preparing for it. The Bible says we're worse than in infidel if we don't take care of our own - and yet there is no command in Scripture for us to prepare for the Tribulation. We're told to anxiously await Christ's return.

Who broke the covenant in Daniel 9:27?

Daniel 9:27, "And he shall confirm the covenant with many for one week: and in the midst of the week he shall cause the sacrifice and the oblation to cease, and for the overspreading of abominations he shall make it desolate, even until the consummation, and that determined shall be poured upon the desolate."

1. Whoever is confirming the Covenant does it for a week. That means there was a specific time period in which it began and a specific time period in which it was supposed to end. One week, or seven years.

2. In the middle of the week, whoever confirmed this covenant also stops it. He makes the sacrifices stop after three and one half years.

3. Here's the kicker: whoever does this, according to this verse, also makes the place desolate. It's not Christ, because Christ told the people about this very thing in Matthew 24.

Matthew 24:15-16, "When ye therefore shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, stand in the holy place, (whoso readeth, let him understand:)
16) Then let them which be in Judaea flee into the mountains:"

Whoever this is, when the Jews see it happen, and they all do - they are told to run for the hills. The same person to makes the covenant with Israel is the same person to breaks it and then desolates the temple. It's not the high priest, it's not Antiochus Epiphanies, it's not Hitler, it's not God or Christ - it's someone we haven't seen yet.

Is. 28:15, 18, "Because ye have said, We have made a covenant with death, and with hell are we at agreement; when the overflowing scourge shall pass through, it shall not come unto us: for we have made lies our refuge, and under falsehood have we hid ourselves:"

"18) And your covenant with death shall be disannulled, and your agreement with hell shall not stand; when the overflowing scourge shall pass through, then ye shall be trodden down by it."

I believe this covenant is with a future Antichrist, and it is called the covenant with death and Hell. It is signified also as the fourth Seal:

Rev. 6:7-8, "And when he had opened the fourth seal, I heard the voice of the fourth beast say , Come and see.
8) And I looked , and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him. And power was given unto them over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with hunger, and with death, and with the beasts of the earth."

The events for the first three seals describe the first three years of the Tribulation and this Seal is the middle of it, describing the time in which the Antichrist will declare himself to be God - something in which no High Priest did back in 70 A.D.

II Thess. 2:3-8, "Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;
4) Who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, shewing himself that he is God.
5) Remember ye not, that, when I was yet with you, I told you these things?
6) And now ye know what withholdeth that he might be revealed in his time.
7) For the mystery of iniquity doth already work: only he who now letteth will let, until he be taken out of the way.
8And then shall that Wicked be revealed, whom the Lord shall consume with the spirit of his mouth, and shall destroy with the brightness of his coming:"

This Antichrist will be destroyed when Christ returns. Hasn't happened yet.

• Members

My insertions
I'm going out now to a performance of"Jephtha" by Hounslow Baroque. [Anything but CCM!]
Beautiful music - but 12 performers & 12 audience. Everyone else missed a treat. They included Bach "Sheep may safely graze" & "Jesu, joy of man's desiring."

I believe the 70 weeks ended when the Jews were declared "uncircumcised" by Stephen, & the Gospel was opened to uncircumcised Gentiles. (Cornelius.) About 3½ years or ½ a week after the cross, when Messiah was cut off.

Covenanter, Can you explain Re 1:7, Mt 24:30, 1Th 4:14-17, Lu 17:23-24. Your view has had really good points; I also believe some of Matthew 24 is regarding the temple; but, without at least these verses explained I don't see it possible how i can hold your view.

Rev 1:7 Behold, he cometh with clouds; and every eye shall see him, and they [also] which pierced him: and all kindreds of the earth shall wail because of him. Even so, Amen.

Mat 24:30 And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.

Those verses are obviously linked, & I won't fall out with anyone who sees the second coming there. However John sees the fulfillment of the piercing as occurring at the cross. (John 19:34-37)

Jesus was condemned for claiming the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven for himself. (Mat 26:64) In that context it referrred to his ascension, as seen by Daniel:

Dan 7:13 ¶ I saw in the night visions, and, behold, [one] like the Son of man came with the clouds of heaven, and came to the Ancient of days, and they brought him near before him.
14 And there was given him dominion, and glory, and a kingdom, that all people, nations, and languages, should serve him: his dominion [is] an everlasting dominion, which shall not pass away, and his kingdom [that] which shall not be destroyed.

Those who condemned him would see him, whom they refused to see with understanding. They saw him through Stephen's eyes, and stopped their ears. They would "see" him when his Olivet prophecy was perfectly fulfilled a generation later. His "coming" would be like that prophesied by Micah:

Mic 1:1 ¶ The word of the LORD that came to Micah the Morasthite in the days of Jotham, Ahaz, [and] Hezekiah, kings of Judah, which he saw concerning Samaria and Jerusalem.
2 ¶ Hear, all ye people; hearken, O earth, and all that therein is: and let the Lord GOD be witness against you, the Lord from his holy temple.
3 For, behold, the LORD cometh forth out of his place, and will come down, and tread upon the high places of the earth.

In AD 70 Jesus proves his ascension by fulfilling his prophecy against those who condemned him.

1Th 4:14 For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him.

Dead believers are asleep in Jesus. Asleep, dead, as far as we are concerned, but enjoying the presence of Jesus in heaven - living & reigning with him. They will be resurrected, & we shall be changed. (1 Cor. 15) What disps teach is the rapture, we understand as the resurrection. Which word is Scriptural?

Luk 17:23 And they shall say to you, See here; or, see there: go not after [them], nor follow [them].
24 For as the lightning, that lighteneth out of the one [part] under heaven, shineth unto the other [part] under heaven; so shall also the Son of man be in his day.

I have no quarrel with those who see that as the second coming, when all, good & wicked, alive & dead, will see Jesus coming in glory.

It need not mean that. The Jewish Christians saw the signs, & fled the city. The martyrs in heaven saw Jesus vindicated by his judgment.

Rev 6:10 And they cried with a loud voice, saying, How long, O Lord, holy and true, dost thou not judge and avenge our blood on them that dwell on the earth?

Rev 18:24 And in her was found the blood of prophets, and of saints, and of all that were slain upon the earth.

Note that Jesus had prophesied:

Mat 23:35 That upon you may come all the righteous blood shed upon the earth, from the blood of righteous Abel unto the blood of Zacharias son of Barachias, whom ye slew between the temple and the altar.
36 Verily I say unto you, All these things shall come upon this generation.
37 ¶ O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, [thou] that killest the prophets, and stonest them which are sent unto thee, how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under [her] wings, and ye would not!
38 Behold, your house is left unto you desolate.

I'm still leaning towards what I will be posting below. However I need to Investigate it more. I decided to re-edit it back in because if there is something wrong with it you all might find it.

I intend to put all my words in blue and put Nathaniel: (In case someone is color blind; though sometimes the words aren't entirely mine. I learned this from a sermon of someone who was in a similar boat as me previously. Though I'm not 100% sure on all the person's end times ideas. However his ideas on Matthew 24 seemed solid.

I don't understand everything but, I'll do the best to show most of my view from what is often called the Olivet Discourse.
I think the a key to understanding the difference between the past and future of Matthew 24 is:

These things - 70 AD
That day - end times

With that in mind if you read this i think the result lines up with scripture.

Mt 23:33 Ye serpents, ye generation of vipers, how can ye escape the damnation of hell?
Mt 23:34 ¶ Wherefore, behold, I send unto you prophets, and wise men, and scribes: and some of them ye shall kill and crucify; and some of them shall ye scourge in your synagogues, and persecute them from city to city:
Mt 23:35 That upon you may come all the righteous blood shed upon the earth, from the blood of righteous Abel unto the blood of Zacharias son of Barachias, whom ye slew between the temple and the altar.
Mt 23:36 Verily I say unto you, All these things shall come upon this generation. (Nathaniel: Notice these things also notice this generation)
Agreed.
Mt 23:37 O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, thou that killest the prophets, and stonest them which are sent unto thee, how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and ye would not!
Mt 23:38 Behold, your house is left unto you desolate. (Nathaniel: I believe the house he is talking about is the temple. Agreed. If you look by decree who made the house desolate? Da 9:27, Lu 21:22 Theres a good article here http://biblicaltruth...%20Scans%29.htm on the 70 weeks of Daniel. (this isn't the person I was referring to earlier)

That is a simple & clear link. IMNSHO the disps lose a lot of credibility when they insert 2,000 years into the 70 weeks, & then claim that the 1,000 years of Rev. 20 cannot be 2,000 years - of the present Gospel age millennium.

Mt 23:39 For I say unto you, Ye shall not see me henceforth, till ye shall say, Blessed is he that cometh in the name of the Lord. (Nathaniel: I believe this verse shows that they aren't part of spiritual Israel until they believe then they are graffed back in)
Agreed.
Mt 24:1 ¶ And Jesus went out, and departed from the temple: and his disciples came to him for to shew him the buildings of the temple.
Mt 24:2 And Jesus said unto them, See ye not all these things? verily I say unto you, There shall not be left here one stone upon another, that shall not be thrown down. (Nathaniel: Notice these things seems to reference the temple)
Agreed.
Mt 24:3 And as he sat upon the mount of Olives, the disciples came unto him privately, saying, Tell us, when shall these things be? and what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world? (Nathaniel: Notice there seems to be two questions when these things shall be and his coming and the end of the world.)
Yes, but what did they understand by their question? "World" has a number of meanings.

Mt 24:4 ¶ And Jesus answered and said unto them, Take heed that no man deceive you.
Mt 24:5 For many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many.
Mt 24:6 And ye shall hear of wars and rumours of wars: see that ye be not troubled: for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet.
Mt 24:7 For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and there shall be famines, and pestilences, and earthquakes, in divers places.
Mt 24:8 All these are the beginning of sorrows.
Mt 24:9 Then shall they deliver you up to be afflicted, and shall kill you: and ye shall be hated of all nations for my name's sake.
Mt 24:10 And then shall many be offended, and shall betray one another, and shall hate one another.
Mt 24:11 And many false prophets shall rise, and shall deceive many.
Mt 24:12 And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold.
Mt 24:13 But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.
Mt 24:14 And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come. (Nathaniel: This seems to be a overview/outline of what he will expound on now. Unless the gospel has been preached to all nations which could be possible if you reference Mr 16:20. The end would then be referring to temple because of Mt 24:27, 1Th 4:14-17, I don't see those things happening in 70 AD.)

When Paul wrote to the Romans, he said: Rom 16:26 But now is made manifest, and by the scriptures of the prophets, according to the commandment of the everlasting God, made known to all nations for the obedience of faith:

Does that require preaching to all nations, or sending the Gospel to all nations? I don't see an AD 70 problem.

Mt 24:15 When ye therefore shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, stand in the holy place, (whoso readeth, let him understand:) (Nathaniel: Reference to Daniel 9 and Lu 21:20.)
Mt 24:16 Then let them which be in Judaea flee into the mountains:
Mt 24:17 Let him which is on the housetop not come down to take any thing out of his house:
Mt 24:18 Neither let him which is in the field return back to take his clothes.
Mt 24:19 And woe unto them that are with child, and to them that give suck in those days! (Nathaniel: Reference Lu 21:23-24 and Ro 11:25)
Mt 24:20 But pray ye that your flight be not in the winter, neither on the sabbath day:
Mt 24:21 For then shall be great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be.
Mt 24:22 And except those days should be shortened, there should no flesh be saved: but for the elect's sake those days shall be shortened.

History tells us that the days of tribulation were interrupted/shortened to allow the elect (Jewish Christians) to escape the doomed city. They saw the signs.

Mt 24:23 Then if any man shall say unto you, Lo, here is Christ, or there; believe it not. (Nathaniel: Notice we changed to then (after the great tribulation)
Mt 24:24 For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect.
Mt 24:25 Behold, I have told you before.
Mt 24:26 Wherefore if they shall say unto you, Behold, he is in the desert; go not forth: behold, he is in the secret chambers; believe it not.
Mt 24:27 For as the lightning cometh out of the east, and shineth even unto the west; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.
Mt 24:28 For wheresoever the carcase is, there will the eagles be gathered together.
The Roman esgles gathered, & the coming of the Son of man to judge those who had rejected him was recognised by the Christians. Mar 12:9 What shall therefore the lord of the vineyard do? he will come and destroy the husbandmen, and will give the vineyard unto others.

Mt 24:29 Immediately after the tribulation of those days shall the sun be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens shall be shaken: (Nathaniel: Notice the change from these days to those days which I believe is now talking about also. Now if you read again Lu 21:23-24 then go further to Luke 21:25. That the fulness of the gentiles must come first.)
Mt 24:30 And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.
Mt 24:31 And he shall send his angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.
Mt 24:32 ¶ Now learn a parable of the fig tree; When his branch is yet tender, and putteth forth leaves, ye know that summer is nigh: (Nathaniel: Notice it was then for quite awhile and now it said Now.)
Mt 24:33 So likewise ye, when ye shall see all these things, know that it is near, even at the doors.
Mt 24:34 Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled. (Nathaniel: This generation look at these verses Mt 23:33-36. Also notice these things)

I see a change at 24:35. The Jerusalem Christians were warned when to flee. The passing of heaven & earth at the second coming will be without warning. There is a general instruction to be faithful, watch & pray. We cannot flee to the mountains - we are safe in Christ.

Mt 24:35 Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away.
Mt 24:36 But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only. (Nathaniel: Now notice that day)
Mt 24:37 But as the days of Noe were, so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.
Mt 24:38 For as in the days that were before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noe entered into the ark,
Mt 24:39 And knew not until the flood came, and took them all away; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.
Mt 24:40 Then shall two be in the field; the one shall be taken, and the other left.
Mt 24:41 Two women shall be grinding at the mill; the one shall be taken, and the other left.
Mt 24:42 Watch therefore: for ye know not what hour your Lord doth come.
Mt 24:43 But know this, that if the goodman of the house had known in what watch the thief would come, he would have watched, and would not have suffered his house to be broken up.
Mt 24:44 Therefore be ye also ready: for in such an hour as ye think not the Son of man cometh.

Bed time now. I'll look at the rest tomorrow.
Edited by Covenanter