• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Discussion Topic - Is Dancing Always Wrong?

• Members

We dealt with this some years ago in the church, one of the young men gave this illustration and check it out to see if it is true. They had a 18 month baby boy, I had taught about the kind of music that affects the body verse the spirit. He told about the baby boy and music, if they had the radio on and it was playing the worldly fast beat up tempo stuff, then the baby would be very active to the point of dancing,(so cute when a baby does it) even agitated, then he put on a tape we had made of my wife playing the piano, hymns and good gospel music, and the baby would calm down and not be as active.

Look at the way "Onward Christian Soldiers" affect us/you verses something like "Sweet Holy Spirit" and I mean without the words.

We have been going to the DR a lot lately, as our son is to be born shortly. When we go they check his heart beat. My 23 month old daughter (though this fit when she was 18 months) "dances" to the heart beat. She feels music in ways I have seen very few doing. The little song "I'm in the Lord's Army" she loves, and marches like crazy. But I have noticed there are very few (I cannot think of any) songs that she does not move to at least some. If we used this and the toe tapping as a gauge for what music should be played, we would have to throw the piano right out the door!!!

• Members

We have been going to the DR a lot lately, as our son is to be born shortly. When we go they check his heart beat. My 23 month old daughter (though this fit when she was 18 months) "dances" to the heart beat. She feels music in ways I have seen very few doing. The little song "I'm in the Lord's Army" she loves, and marches like crazy. But I have noticed there are very few (I cannot think of any) songs that she does not move to at least some. If we used this and the toe tapping as a gauge for what music should be played, we would have to throw the piano right out the door!!!

It is had to do with how the child moves and or acts. There is a distinct difference in how worldly and secular music affects the mind and spirit. I would not say that because some good Christian music makes us want to move it is wrong, "Onward Christian Soldiers" makes me want to march forward in to battle, "Wipe Out" makes me want to wipe out, and been there done that. What I hear with most CCM is it is trying to sound and mimic secular music in its affect on our spirit and souls. Maybe I am prejudice, having come out of that kind of world, but when I hear most of that which is called CCM it sounds like worldly music to me. From the beat to the chanting. And I have heard songs written today by good Christians that God has touch there hearts that has great messages in them with not need for, ratty tat- tat of a drum or the hard down beat of a bass guitar, or the arm swing strum of a electric guitar. Here is good music, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=th0m2259pls&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL. Yes call me prejudice if you want. I like good music.

• Members

There can only be one interpretation!

There can be only one interpretation of Scripture, but there can be many opinions as to what is or isn't acceptable music for a Christian.

Any music that violates clear Scripture is wrong, ungodly; such as music which blasphemes God, glorifies adultery, incites violence, etc.

However, if we take a known Christian favorite that most accept as having biblical lyrics and being Christian, and we set that song to a dozen different styles of music, Scripture does not declare that there is only one acceptable music style, and this is where the disagreements come in. The real disputes erupt when some proclaim their opinion is the one and only acceptable opinion.

Now, I'm 100% for standing solid where Scripture is clear on a matter. However, where this isn't the case, I'm not going to declare that because Fred says all piano music is wicked, then that's just the way it is and anyone who disagrees is wicked, ungodly and hates the Bible.

• Members

Luk 15:23 And bring hither the fatted calf, and kill [it]; and let us eat, and be merry:
24 For this my son was dead, and is alive again; he was lost, and is found. And they began to be merry.
25 Now his elder son was in the field: and as he came and drew nigh to the house, he heard musick and dancing.

Comment is superfluous.

• Members

Luk 15:23 And bring hither the fatted calf, and kill [it]; and let us eat, and be merry:
24 For this my son was dead, and is alive again; he was lost, and is found. And they began to be merry.
25 Now his elder son was in the field: and as he came and drew nigh to the house, he heard musick and dancing.

Comment is superfluous.

Yes, and there is the verse of David leaping as he danced before the Lord, other references to loud music, dancing, raising of hands, the use of many instruments, etc.

Even so, how would most IFBs react if they saw David dancing like that? Or they heard the music from afar?

I'll readily admit, there are certain music styles I don't like and I can't see how anyone could be edified by them. There are certain singing styles I feel the same way about. However, there are those who claim to get edification from them. I don't know how, but I won't declare they are indulging in wickedness because the Word simply doesn't say this.

• Members

Morris dancing is basically pagan as this quote from our local Oyster Morris shows.

Our Green Man, who combines the roles of jester and announcer, symbolises in his make-up and costume of white and green the endlessly changing seasons and, in particular, the new life of springtime. The spirit of spring is also represented by the Jack-in-the-Green figure, which is central to the Whitstable May Day celebrations, the highlight of the Oyster Morris Calender.

At the Faversham Hop Festival, they usually have about ½ doz Morris troups. They usually dance outside pubs, one after the other. I once saw one Morris man drinking from a huge pottery beer jug and asked him how much it held, he said it held 3½ pints and that somebody had made it for hiim. That is English pints, total of 70 fluid ounces. (I make that 4.38 US pints.) I hope that wasn't Covenanter. :)

• Members

Morris dancing is basically pagan as this quote from our local Oyster Morris shows.

At the Faversham Hop Festival, they usually have about ½ doz Morris troups. They usually dance outside pubs, one after the other. I once saw one Morris man drinking from a huge pottery beer jug and asked him how much it held, he said it held 3½ pints and that somebody had made it for hiim. That is English pints, total of 70 fluid ounces. (I make that 4.38 US pints.) I hope that wasn't Covenanter. :)

I know only a little about morris dancing but from what I have heard the dances and costumes go back to celebrations by peasants of various significant points in the farming year, such as harvest or the odd day they got off--nothing pagan about that. For example, the blacked-up faces of some dance troupes goes back to poachers blacking their faces up as camouflage. And these 'roots' are only about 500 years old. So to say every morris dancer worldwide is indulging in paganism ("Morris dancing is basically pagan") because a morris dancer near you has injected some paganism into it (and certainly some do) is like saying that every church and body of believers worldwide is pagan because you once saw a church building somewhere in Hull with a gargoyle on it. I'm not saying morris dancing is right, but it should be called what it is.

• Members

Well said, Alimantado. Such country dancing is tuneful, colourful & fun, & a good subject for video. It's origins are lost in the mists of iniquity antiquity. As for pagan rituals, make up any old story, the more bizarre the better.

You have to be very gullible to believe what someone tells you after drinking 3½ pints of beer at each pub visited during an afternoon. What makes you think that it was filled every time? And he could continue dancing on to the next pub?

Tall stories would be made up for the benefit of the audience. My uncle John (a farmer) told me their Spring festival was to ensure that the crops would grow - and that it worked without fail every year ....

I've even heard of folk songs being specially written when they knew a folk song collector was around - a song was always good for a free drink .... & as for the stories ....

Invicta, you are too gullible - you'll be believing all those "left behind" dispensationalism stories next. Tim & Jerry are great story-tellers.

Oh dear! I note that this post is my 666.

Edited by Covenanter