• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Discussion Topic - Is Dancing Always Wrong?

• Administrators

Interesting. It would seem though that "music that makes you want to 'shake your booty'" would be subjective to the listener. It seems that every type of musical beat will elicit some response, whether it be as simple as a nodding head or a tapping foot. What one merely claps a long to, another might feel like jumping up and "shaking a leg." It would be neat if there was some objective way to determine it.

I had a pastor once who was explaining to his wife (I was at their house) that, in his opinion, if music starts causing your toe to tap before it starts edifying you spiritually, it was questionable. Don't know that I completely agree with him, but it is a starting point.

• Members

I had a pastor once who was explaining to his wife (I was at their house) that, in his opinion, if music starts causing your toe to tap before it starts edifying you spiritually, it was questionable. Don't know that I completely agree with him, but it is a starting point.

That would suggest that music is only to be used for edification of the spirit. I disagree. I think God wants us to have pleasures and entertainment (godly and clean of course), which includes music.

• Members

How can music (not lyrics) "exalt the flesh"? Not challenging your assertion, just curious as to what you mean.

We dealt with this some years ago in the church, one of the young men gave this illustration and check it out to see if it is true. They had a 18 month baby boy, I had taught about the kind of music that affects the body verse the spirit. He told about the baby boy and music, if they had the radio on and it was playing the worldly fast beat up tempo stuff, then the baby would be very active to the point of dancing,(so cute when a baby does it) even agitated, then he put on a tape we had made of my wife playing the piano, hymns and good gospel music, and the baby would calm down and not be as active.

Look at the way "Onward Christian Soldiers" affect us/you verses something like "Sweet Holy Spirit" and I mean without the words.

• Members

Good discussion :thumb:

I've often heard the saying that if the music appeals to the flesh, then it's no good; but just what does that mean? Some say if the music makes you want to clap or tap your toes, then it's wrong, while some have no problem with clapping or toe tapping.

What defines "appealing to the flesh"? As was mentioned, as song such as Onward Christian Soldier may illicit a different "feeling" and response from some than does Sweet Holy Spirit. Does that make one wrong and the other okay?

There are also some who proclaim that all music must be to the glory of God, nothing secular is acceptable. Some declare if the music can't, or shouldn't, be played in church then a Christian shouldn't listen to it.

Can you imagine the reaction in your church if someone came down the aisle dancing like David during a hymn? :icon_mrgreen:

• Members

We dealt with this some years ago in the church, one of the young men gave this illustration and check it out to see if it is true. They had a 18 month baby boy, I had taught about the kind of music that affects the body verse the spirit. He told about the baby boy and music, if they had the radio on and it was playing the worldly fast beat up tempo stuff, then the baby would be very active to the point of dancing,(so cute when a baby does it) even agitated, then he put on a tape we had made of my wife playing the piano, hymns and good gospel music, and the baby would calm down and not be as active.

Look at the way "Onward Christian Soldiers" affect us/you verses something like "Sweet Holy Spirit" and I mean without the words.

Is that to say that all "up tempo" music is worldly? I think it is more than understandable that the pace of the music will elicit different responses. Fast beats might stimulate the central nervous system differently than slower beates. Up tempo beats can excite, slower tempos can relax. However, I can't see how being excited in conjunction with a fast beat is de facto "wordly" or "fleshy." Still, an interesting idea.

• Members

Good discussion :thumb:

I've often heard the saying that if the music appeals to the flesh, then it's no good; but just what does that mean? Some say if the music makes you want to clap or tap your toes, then it's wrong, while some have no problem with clapping or toe tapping.

I believe I've tapped my foot several times while listening to hymns. :icon_mrgreen:

I've the heard the "tap your foot" thingie, but it has no Biblical grounds.
God bless,
Joel ><>.
2 Chronicles 7:14.

• Members

I read somewhere not to long ago that grocery stores play slow and soft music because it makes you slow down when you are shopping and there by you by more. If they play faster music it makes you more faster and buy less. I think I read that in the WSJ.

I know when I'm in a store or place that is playing this stuff today that is called music it makes me want to get out in a hurry.

• Members

If it praises God.
But if the music or the body movements exalt the flesh instead of God, it's ungodly.

Praise him with the timbrel and dance: praise him with stringed instruments and organs.Psalm 150:4

What if you just want to dance with your wife?

I dance with my wife all the time, but I don't see how that exalts the flesh. I dance with my daughters all the time and I certainly don't see how that exalts the flesh.

Why can't you just dance for the sake of dancing or to be close to someone?

• Members

In answer to the question: no, dancing is not always wrong.

That begs the question of when is it wrong. If it has the propensity to create lust - then it's wrong. Here's another obvious one: if you know God doesn't want you listening to the music, then you really shouldn't be dancing to it either.

• Members

In answer to the question: no, dancing is not always wrong.

That begs the question of when is it wrong. If it has the propensity to create lust - then it's wrong. Here's another obvious one: if you know God doesn't want you listening to the music, then you really shouldn't be dancing to it either.

Most dancing done today is wrong because of the moves used, the music listened to, and the reasons for dancing.

Places where Christians might be able to dance, in good conscience, are very few and mostly availabe in their own homes.

Then comes the questions about just what music is okay for married couples to dance to...does it have to be a Christian song performed by a Christian singer...can some secular music be acceptable or is all secular music and anything performed by a non-Christian off limits...Christians hold differing views on these matters, even among fundamentalists.

• Members

I do not think dancing is wrong unless its the members of the opposite sex touching, and if its bad music.

Which sorta nixes most dancing these days.

I think the square and otherwise fancy ball dancing in old movies and stuff looked fun though....its nothing like the dancing they do these days.

• Members

I do not think dancing is wrong unless its the members of the opposite sex touching, and if its bad music.

Which sorta nixes most dancing these days.

I think the square and otherwise fancy ball dancing in old movies and stuff looked fun though....its nothing like the dancing they do these days.

True. Most of todays dancing is centered around or outright based upon sex. Many of the dances of days gone by were more about fun, fellowship and community.

When I was in school they taught square dancing in PE up into high school, when they finally dropped that my sophomore year.