• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Responses From My Warnings About Lancaster's Music

• Members
February 21, 2011 (David Cloud, Fundamental Baptist Information Service, P.O. Box 610368, Port Huron, MI 48061, 866-295-4143, fbns@wayoflife.org; for instructions about subscribing and unsubscribing or changing addresses, see the information paragraph at the end of the article)

“Open rebuke is better than secret love. Faithful are the wounds of a friend; but the kisses of an enemy are deceitful” (Proverbs 27:5-6).

Following are some of the positive e-mails I received in response to the Friday News article “Lancaster Baptist Shouting to the Lord.”

“I'd like to give you a personal experience I had, that supports your article that this is a pattern with West Coast/LBC. I recently ordered some SS material from LBC/West Coast/Striving Together. I had heard that their music was going down hill, so I stayed away from it. They accidentally sent me their ‘Hymns for Him’ piano music cd. I was shocked to hear that what should be a simple ‘hymn’ piano cd featured CCM.  Two of the songs were ‘Great Is the Lord’ and ‘How Majestic Is Your Name’ both by Michael W. Smith. You have documented his record well in the music field. He is as far out there as they come. The songs by Smith really demonstrate the tolerance for or acceptance of CCM. Probably 80 percent of the music on ‘Hymns for Him’ is fine, but there is a pattern of tolerance for CCM and for its writers somewhere at LBC/WCBC.  They also have a youtube video of ‘Faithful Men’ by Twila Paris being sung at the college/church graduation and it is on their CD ‘For the Faith of the Gospel.’ I was also shocked when the intro for one of the ‘hymns’ was the tune to ‘I like that old time rock and roll,’ the same exact tune that I used to listen to as a rebellious high schooler.  I had my wife listen to it, because I was so shocked. [We checked this, and the opening measures definitely contain the same licks as the rock song, but the excerpts at the web site don’t include this intro.] ... Pastors and parents had better be warned that not only are schools like Northland heading towards New Evangelicalism, there are many schools that claim to be opposed to NE in their position on the Bible and the Gospel, but are headed right into New Evangelical music. And music is a doctrine in the Bible as well! I appreciate some of the material by West Coast, particularly the books by John Goetch. There needs to be a public statement and some staff and faculty changes if Bro. Chappell is going to make it clear that they stand against CCM.  I will not recommend the school unless these things are publicly addressed.”

View the full article

• Members

My husband feels like he agrees with David Cloud as far as what should be played in church (not personal at-home music standards). I only read what was posted above (not the whole article) but I do feel he is being a little too picky at least about the piano cd he received.

• Members

#1 - Darlene Zschech is a charismatic worship leader.
#2 - Darlene Zschech uses rock music in her worship music.
#3 - Independent Baptists ought not to be listening to rock music.
#4 - Independent Baptists have no business using charismatic music.

• Members

There are different types of music in Scripture. Not all music is meant for "Worship". Music in a worship service is to prepare the heart for the message. However, there is also music in scripture that was entertaining in nature. This music would not be used in a church service.

If we want to discuss music, let's start another thread. This topic is about David Cloud

• Members

There are different types of music in Scripture. Not all music is meant for "Worship". Music in a worship service is to prepare the heart for the message. However, there is also music in scripture that was entertaining in nature. This music would not be used in a church service.

If we want to discuss music, let's start another thread. This topic is about David Cloud

Thank you, this is exactly what I meant, and what our family believes. And I don't mean rock music is okay at home...I just mean not everything that is good to listen to at home is appropriate for a worship service at church.

• Members

David Cloud has no business sending out letters to pastors ridiculing a Christian College. It is the Pastor's responsbility to educate his people, not David Cloud's

However, very few pastors are willing to warn their people against the dangers of contemporary Christian music. I have written a book concerning this issue (The Day the Music Died). I do not mention West Coast or Lancaster Baptist Church but I do mention Faith Music Missions and others. Am I wrong in doing so? You be the judge.

Ezekiel 22:30 - "And I sought for a man among them, that should make up the hedge, and stand in the gap before me for the land, that I should not destroy it: but I found none."

• Members

I don't believe it is anyone's responsbility to write a book, send an email or a letter out criticizing a Christian organization. Write a book on the subject and let the Holy Spirit do the work. Too many Christians are being critical of the wrong enemy.

• Members

Music can be very subjective, even when not considering modern music, as we see with regards to what hymns are accepted and rejected by various hmnals and churches.

Some music is clearly not appropriate for worship in church while some music we all wouldn't agree upon. I agree with those who have pointed out that some music may be fine for home or various places, but don't fit well for worship. Not all music was written for worship services and there is need for music outside of worship services.

As was also pointed out, just what is meant by CCM? Technically, anything written today or in the past several decades is considered CCM. Whether pop, rock or hymns, those written today are labled as CCM. CCM is such a broad term that in order to toss out all CCM one would have to toss out the baby with the bathwater. There needs to be a more clear defintion of what is being discussed for true discussion to take place.

One factor I've noticed regarding modern music is how common it is to attack a song based upon who wrote the song or who sings the song. Such attacks are typically not brought to bear upon those who wrote a hymn a hundred or more years ago or who has sang the song. Many hymns written a couple hundred years ago were put to the tune of the pop music of the day and are accepted as great yet today if someone things they hear even a hint of modern music they attack the song.

Many hymns were written by those who folks today would disagree with regarding their denomination, their view of eschatology, some doctrine or practice, yet their songs are accepted because they are biblically sound. Yet for some reason, biblically sound songs written today are attacked if they are written by someone who doesn't holds some differing views than them.

Why are songwriters today not only being held to much higher standards than those of the past, but being held to even higher standards than are pastors and preachers?

There is also the matter of musical taste that is very subjective and doesn't necessarily make a song good or bad just because of the style of music played with the song. Is Amazing Grace any less a biblical song because it's sang with celtic music, bluegrass, a piano, an orchestra, in a classical manner, with various instruments?

We should be much more careful in our treatment with the subject of music.