• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Jokes from the pulpit

• Administrators

True enough, but does not the language of scripture itself make that point quite well as is? Are not even old worn out "preacher jokes" like that one you mentioned trying to get people to laugh or crack a smile about a topic that in reality isn't even slightly funny? Like I said I don't get to upset about it because it isn't that big of deal unless it gets extreme but I do appreciate it when I hear a preacher preach an entire sermon in complete soberness without one attempt to be funny or "clever".

I agree with you.

But on the flip slide, It is great when the preachers personality comes through when preaching. It is nice to hear a preacher be themselves and not try to be someone else. Some personalities are funnier than others, just be who God made you to be. For some people that is funnier than others.

The Holy Spirit has spoken to me through preachers using both methods. Sometimes funny, sometimes serious.

• Members

True enough, but does not the language of scripture itself make that point quite well as is? Are not even old worn out "preacher jokes" like that one you mentioned trying to get people to laugh or crack a smile about a topic that in reality isn't even slightly funny? Like I said I don't get to upset about it because it isn't that big of deal unless it gets extreme but I do appreciate it when I hear a preacher preach an entire sermon in complete soberness without one attempt to be funny or "clever".

I see a great point, we need to say it just as the Bible says it, using the Adam & Steve may come off a bit funny to the church members, yet it just might provoke the homosexual, and that does no one any good,

• Members

I see a great point, we need to say it just as the Bible says it, using the Adam & Steve may come off a bit funny to the church members, yet it just might provoke the homosexual, and that does no one any good,

I try to use some common sense with that old stale one, but if I have to concern myself with what someone thinks about what I say when preach, then I will have to basically stop preaching. I have seen people get up in a huff and leave when the scripture Lev. 20:13 was read from the pulpit. I compared "Christian" rock and roll (Alice Cooper to be exact) to worldly rock and roll Sunday. Today I was told a family won't be back because, mom likes Alice Cooper. Go figure. I have had people leave because I have preached against drinking beer, people have left because I have called it shacking up instead living with your signficate other. Sometime a humorous point opens the door to bring in the hard point.

People like Mark Laury have no place in the pulpit, some churches have him and others like him in the churches and standing on their "stage", and that is wrong.

• Members

One joke comes to mind....
During the camp meeting at our church one of the pastors who was called on to preach, after preaching against beards, made a cute little comment about a black running back keeping a tight grip on the football, because someone painted it to look like a watermelon. It got a few chuckles, but there was a young black lady in the house; and she never came back. Then there was the former pastor who liked to make little jokes about hemmoroids. The gave us all the gory details about his wife's miscarriage FROM THE PULPIT. We don't want to hear that garbage, sirs. We hear enough of it out in the world and it has no place coming out of a pastor's mouth, especially in the church house.

Ephesians 5:1 Be ye therefore followers of God, as dear children; 2And walk in love, as Christ also hath loved us, and hath given himself for us an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweetsmelling savour.
3But fornication, and all uncleanness, or covetousness, let it not be once named among you, as becometh saints; 4Neither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor jesting, which are not convenient: but rather giving of thanks. 5For this ye know, that no whoremonger, nor unclean person, nor covetous man, who is an idolater, hath any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God.

6Let no man deceive you with vain words: for because of these things cometh the wrath of God upon the children of disobedience. 7Be not ye therefore partakers with them.

• Members

I try to use some common sense with that old stale one, but if I have to concern myself with what someone thinks about what I say when preach, then I will have to basically stop preaching. I have seen people get up in a huff and leave when the scripture Lev. 20:13 was read from the pulpit. I compared "Christian" rock and roll (Alice Cooper to be exact) to worldly rock and roll Sunday. Today I was told a family won't be back because, mom likes Alice Cooper. Go figure. I have had people leave because I have preached against drinking beer, people have left because I have called it shacking up instead living with your signficate other. Sometime a humorous point opens the door to bring in the hard point.

People like Mark Laury have no place in the pulpit, some churches have him and others like him in the churches and standing on their "stage", and that is wrong.

Yes, I know a few like that, mostly preachers preaching to a congregation to get amen's, using worldly wisdom, yet if a sinner is setting in they offend him pr her so bad he or she will not return. Paul tells us to:

Col 4:5 ¶ Walk in wisdom toward them that are without, redeeming the time.
Col 4:6 Let your speech be always with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man.

Walk in wisdom, let your speech be with grace, seasoned

Col 3:16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.

Eph 4:29 Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers.

Sad, yes, some preachers and pastor have no concern what anyone thinks of what they say, they feel they can speak in whatever terms they chose, hiding behind the cover of Christ, but remember, you will answer, for every word, along with what is behind those words setting inside the heart.

You will win more with grace than you will blunt force, it does not take blunt force to make the world hate you, it only take preaching God's Word in grace.

• Members

One joke comes to mind....
During the camp meeting at our church one of the pastors who was called on to preach, after preaching against beards, made a cute little comment about a black running back keeping a tight grip on the football, because someone painted it to look like a watermelon. It got a few chuckles, but there was a young black lady in the house; and she never came back. Then there was the former pastor who liked to make little jokes about hemmoroids. The gave us all the gory details about his wife's miscarriage FROM THE PULPIT. We don't want to hear that garbage, sirs. We hear enough of it out in the world and it has no place coming out of a pastor's mouth, especially in the church house.

Ephesians 5:1 Be ye therefore followers of God, as dear children; 2And walk in love, as Christ also hath loved us, and hath given himself for us an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweetsmelling savour.
3But fornication, and all uncleanness, or covetousness, let it not be once named among you, as becometh saints; 4Neither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor jesting, which are not convenient: but rather giving of thanks. 5For this ye know, that no whoremonger, nor unclean person, nor covetous man, who is an idolater, hath any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God.

6Let no man deceive you with vain words: for because of these things cometh the wrath of God upon the children of disobedience. 7Be not ye therefore partakers with them.

Some pastors seem to think they are being cool or showing just how open they are by telling off-color stories and discussing subjects better left in private. They do indeed need to do a serious study of the passage you posted!

• Members

At church yesterday the minister used at least 15 on liners in his sermon. The associate pastor kicked off the Sunday evening sermon with a joke. Is stand up comedy part of pastoral training these days. I have heard sermons with one liner after one liner. Most of the church seems to love the comic relief. Is this something preachers are trained to do or is it just a general trend in modern preaching. I can't find anything in the scriptures to say it is wrong, but I certainly don' appreciate it.

I think it depends on what you mean. On the one hand, there is cheapening God's Word by not preaching reverently and on the other, there are some preachers (I think I'm one of them) who will sometimes say things in a funny way in order to make a point.

Using humor just in the way we talk is fine. But turning Sunday morning into open mic night at the Chuckle Hut is not.

I once entitled a sermon, "You're So Vain, You Probably Think This Psalm is About You". That's about as close as I get to outright comedy.

• Members

There has been too much topical preaching with illustrations.Illustrations have a place, but the Preacher is to proclaim the Word of God and teach the people the Word.

That is so true.

We had a preacher who was looking for a pastorate, who gave a sermon which was filled with many anecdotes.