• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Happy Valentine's Day

• Members

For a great, great many, Valentines day is more about lust than about love. It's about a little "romance" before the pre-marital sex. High school kids, and younger, college students and unmarried folks around the country look to Valentines day as a day they are sure to get sex.

• Members

Yes, and when the married man buys his other woman, women, candy, flowers, or such, while buying his wife something to consol her and keep the peace.

To be honest, the men I have worked with throughout the years the ones that usually go all out for gifts to the wife at such times as Valentines day are the ones that are not faithful. And the majority of divorces I've seen have been among that group.

• Members

I know what you mean Jerry. I've seen many times where someone married will use the excuse of Valentines day to give a gift to a woman they like at work (or the woman will gift the married man she likes) and this "innocent" exchange of Valentines gifts turns into an affair.

• Members

John, Its also amazing how men are, it seems they want all their workers to know about their girlfriend, just wants to keep it from wife.

Its as if they feel it's a badge of honor.

As they say, the wife is usually the last one to know.

I might add, some women have used this to get the things they want from life. I know of one woman that has a mean husband, a drunk, skirt chaser, he has even beat her, ever time she catches him she gets something new. Once, it was her house completely remolded, it wasn't 5 years old, a couple of years later caught again she got a brand new larger house, and once it was a diamond that would choke a mule. As you would guess, she is always bragging about her stuff, how she can hold her head up in public is beyond me.

• Members

I've seen the same things around here. I've seen men and women who were married to someone else, go out after work with their work friends, flaunting their affair. Giving gifts at work in front of each other, bragging how great their "lover" is, never a mention of their spouse unless to say something bad.

There is a woman who lives not far from here, her husband seems to get into some kind of sexual trouble every few years and his wife always makes him pay for it, literally, by buying her a new ring, a new car, new computer, whatever it is she wants at the time.

A woman that used to work in the same department I did used to tell her girlfriends at work she didn't care how much her husband slept around. She said it kept him from wanting to be in bed with her and he would always buy her nice things to keep her from complaining about it.

What a sad, and sinful, life. (Yes, most of these would call themselves Christians)

• Members

I've seen the same things around here. I've seen men and women who were married to someone else, go out after work with their work friends, flaunting their affair. Giving gifts at work in front of each other, bragging how great their "lover" is, never a mention of their spouse unless to say something bad.

There is a woman who lives not far from here, her husband seems to get into some kind of sexual trouble every few years and his wife always makes him pay for it, literally, by buying her a new ring, a new car, new computer, whatever it is she wants at the time.

A woman that used to work in the same department I did used to tell her girlfriends at work she didn't care how much her husband slept around. She said it kept him from wanting to be in bed with her and he would always buy her nice things to keep her from complaining about it.

What a sad, and sinful, life. (Yes, most of these would call themselves Christians)

It is many years since I received a Valentines card. It was long before I was married and before I became a Christian. The last one as I remember said on the front. Haven't seen you around lately, cant think why. and on the inside said, Just lucky, I guess.

As I say it was many years ago and if I remember, the custom was not to sign them. So if you had more than one you dare not thank someone for their card in case they didn't send one. All very strange.

But the thing is, if you get involved in Valentines day in any way, you are invoking a Roman "saint." Whether you do that with knowledge or not. Just as if you wish somebody, "Good Luck" you are invoking the patron god of gamblers.

This man tried to mix the worship of God with paganism.

Judges 17:1- 18:6
And there was a man of Mount Ephraim, whose name was Micah.
And he said unto his mother, "The eleven hundred shekels of silver that were taken from thee, about which thou
cursedst, and spakest of also in mine ears, behold, the silver is with me; I took it." And his mother said,
"Blessed be thou of the Lord, my son."
And when he had restored the eleven hundred shekels of silver to his mother, his mother said, "I had wholly
dedicated the silver unto the Lord from my hand for my son, to make a graven image and a molten image; now
therefore I will restore it unto thee."
Yet he restored the money unto his mother; and his mother took two hundred shekels of silver, and gave them
to the founder, who made thereof a graven image and a molten image; and they were in the house of Micah.
And the man Micah had an house of gods, and made an ephod, and teraphim, and consecrated one of his sons,
who became his priest.
In those days, there was no king in Israel, but every man did that which was right in his own eyes.
And there was a young man out of Bethlehem-Judah, of the family of Judah, who was a Levite, and he
sojourned there.
And the man departed out of the city from Bethlehem-Judah to sojourn where he could find a place. And he
came to Mount Ephraim to the house of Micah, as he journeyed.
And Micah said unto him, "Whence comest thou?" And he said unto him, "I am a Levite of Bethlehem-Judah,
and I go to sojourn where I may find a place."
And Micah said unto him, "Dwell with me, and be unto me a father and a priest, and I will give the ten shekels of
silver by the year, and a suit of apparel, and thy victuals." So the Levite went in.
And the Levite was content to dwell with the man; and the young man was unto him as one of his sons.
And Micah consecrated the Levite; and the young man became his priest, and was in the house of Micah.
Then said Micah, "Now know I that the Lord will do me good, seeing I have a Levite to my priest.

You could read Paris Reidhead's sermon on this chapter,

Ten shekels and a shirt. http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/articles/article_pdf.php?aid=2067

Or listen to it http://media.sermonindex.net/0/SID0290.mp3

• Members

We are indeed warned of any involvement with false religions, we are warned to beware of even a little leaven, we are warned to avoid even the appearance of evil, etc.

Interesting you mention "luck". Luck is actually a pagan concept as well, and very important in some heathen religions. For instance, in the Norse/Germanic pagan religion was viewed as something very important and the man who could muster the most luck was considered to have a great advantage.

Along these lines, we have coming up Saint Patrick's day, which also incorporates the concept of luck, with the oft used symbol of the four leaf clover and talk of the "luck 'o the Irish".

It's actually a great disservice to Christ that so many Christians speak of luck, just like the lost, rather than acknowledging the blessings of God and that all good things are from God and not a matter of luck.

• Members

We have forgotten that all that happens to us in God's will. If we put ourselves in the right places doing the right things then God's will may be well for us. if we put ourselves in the wrong places then God's will, may not be well for us.

Ro 8:28 "And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose."

• Administrators

Okay, what was intended to be a lighthearted thread turned in some really icky directions. You guys want to discuss false religion and skirt chasers, start a different thread. If you don't like Valentine's day (and I don't give a whoop if you don't), fine. We enjoy having fun with it, and it has nothing to do with Catholicism. (Just watch out in November: Thanksgiving feasts have pagan roots; and you'll not have anything whatsoever to do with Christmas, right? Sure....)

Someone asked (I'm sure with heavy sarcasm) who is your patron saint? Well, mine is my hubby. :icon_mrgreen:

He's a Christian, and therefore a saint in God's eyes. And he's my patron: he takes care of me, protects me, and provides for me. And if he wants to use a day to make it super special to me, I'm all for it. : :wub:

:threadlockedbc5: